MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 10

The Unofficial Start of Summer is here! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

June
6/15: DFW #?: Sakhuu Thai Please RSVP by June 7.
6/15: SoCal #26: Wine and Burgers
6/22: NorCal #18 - Francophile Solstice, June 22nd in Santa Clara
TBD (6/14 or 15?):Chicago Gathering at Millennium Park 6/14 or 6/15

July
TBD: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I don't care, he said preemptively.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Thanks to everyone for the support and words of encouragement on Saturday. It ended with lots of stories and laughter. And just like old times, an extra half dozen or so of her friends slept on the couches. Late night, but I know I will soon miss those times.

We enjoyed the 2006 Scott Harvey Mountain Select Zinfandel. With such a large group, we did not do a group toast. Two person job to get into decanters for serving. (Learned that from Peter and RPM. If the experts had to team decant, I knew not to try it alone.) It actually needed some time to open up from that large format.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:I don't care, he said preemptively.


Almost time for my birthday, is this the smoker?



Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:Almost time for my birthday, is this the smoker?



made a delicious pork shoulder in that one yesterday! I still like mine and this is the second year I've used it. Just make sure that you can plug it directly into an outlet. If you use an extension cord (even a heavy duty one) it sometimes doesn't maintain temp perfectly. Otherwise, it does what I need it to do at a price that doesn't break the bank if you find, yeah, I don't like smoking (said no one ever). You'll be looking to upgrade in two years.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:made a delicious pork shoulder in that one yesterday! I still like mine and this is the second year I've used it. Just make sure that you can plug it directly into an outlet. If you use an extension cord (even a heavy duty one) it sometimes doesn't maintain temp perfectly. Otherwise, it does what I need it to do at a price that doesn't break the bank if you find, yeah, I don't like smoking (said no one ever). You'll be looking to upgrade in two years.

Cleaning...
How is it to clean?
I've seen Dirty Jobs!

CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Cleaning...
How is it to clean?
I've seen Dirty Jobs!



You're supposed to clean them?


seriously though, it's easy. the racks clean easy, the water pan is huge and catches most of the fat and the drip pan just pull out. I generally just hose it off in the backyard. I don't have bears though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:I don't care, he said preemptively.










Edit: Besides, it was Corrado's fault that you did it, wasn't it?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:






Edit: Besides, it was Corrado's fault that you did it, wasn't it?



no, I knew what I was doing as I was doing it. Too much effort to cross post.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:no, I knew what I was doing as I was doing it. Too much effort to cross post.



No more Saké for you!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

we went to a wine walk over the weekend. good fun, mostly crappy wines. Saw a new (to us) enclosure - Zork. Interesting. More like a spirits enclosure, as you pull the plastic (untwist) and then there is a "cork" (synthetic) stopper. Looks cool, until you actually have to reuse the stopper, then the stupid dangling plastic looks ridiculous. Anyway, thought I'd share.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
joelsisk wrote:we went to a wine walk over the weekend. good fun, mostly crappy wines. Saw a new (to us) enclosure - Zork. Interesting. More like a spirits enclosure, as you pull the plastic (untwist) and then there is a "cork" (synthetic) stopper. Looks cool, until you actually have to reuse the stopper, then the stupid dangling plastic looks ridiculous. Anyway, thought I'd share.


I have a couple Zork-enclosed bottles but haven't tried opening one yet. Pretty sure we had a WW offering a couple months ago with Zork enclosure too but I don't remember the wine.

EDIT: oh, HERE it is.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

look I remembered to post on the current week!!!
Anyhow, went to jury duty. they called 2 groups, then a long wait, next they said 2 of the judges had resolved their cases, no jurors needed. The next group got to go home but come back wednesday... then they said there was only one judge left.... the last group called was excused for good. if your name wasn't on that list you had to stay..... yippe I got to leave!! was out by 11 and still made it to the teachers farewell party!!!!
and I think we found the owner of the missing bird!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:I don't care, he said preemptively.



Aw darn, I was about to go get the club

Dude. You're coming to the wootception, right? RIGHT?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

***Begin rant*** I so hate when kids decide to use an online translator instead of their own brains! They think I won't notice that they used perfectly conjugated irregular verbs that they have never seen in their lives! And then, of course, there are the kids who checked out a month ago and haven't done anything outside of classwork! ***End rant***

Back to grading I go!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:***Begin rant*** I so hate when kids decide to use an online translator instead of their own brains! They think I won't notice that they used perfectly conjugated irregular verbs that they have never seen in their lives! And then, of course, there are the kids who checked out a month ago and haven't done anything outside of classwork! ***End rant***

Back to grading I go!



Hang in there! It's almost over!!!!

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
richardhod wrote:meanwhile, if you want to save your wine from the evil air:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/wine-preserve/?pid=3375&viewall=true

Richard,
Thank you for validating my Argon system!

And to those waiting for a DIY kit and/or description I"ve promised; it's not forgotten.
I'm up against a hard deadline for work, but I'll have a complete post on the entire rig before the end of the month.

Ron

CT

zTimothyBz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
rjquillin wrote:Thank you for validating my Argon system!

Will your Argon system work with storing bottles sideways? I'm hoping you can alter some physics, here.

A few years ago, at a tasting of some Douro wines, the maker said he thought vacuum was okay, but refrigeration of an open bottle was bad because more oxygen can dissolve in cooler water.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:Aw darn, I was about to go get the club

Dude. You're coming to the wootception, right? RIGHT?



I wish, but I'm figuratively hemorrhaging money right now (actually hemorrhaging money would be excruciating, though it's painful in the figurative sense as well). Between the new roof and the new kitchen/dining room I'll be lucky to make Ramen in the new kitchen for the next year!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bhodilee wrote:I wish, but I'm figuratively hemorrhaging money right now (actually hemorrhaging money would be excruciating, though it's painful in the figurative sense as well). Between the new roof and the new kitchen/dining room I'll be lucky to make Ramen in the new kitchen for the next year!



You were the main person we were throwing this for.....sorta.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
zTimothyBz wrote:Will your Argon system work with storing bottles sideways? I'm hoping you can alter some physics, here.

A few years ago, at a tasting of some Douro wines, the maker said he thought vacuum was okay, but refrigeration of an open bottle was bad because more oxygen can dissolve in cooler water.

Yes, absolutely!

You don't need to alter physics, just get the "air" out.

The commercial system puts only a ~dash~ of Ar/CO2/N2 mix into the bottle; just enough to cap the small area of wine exposed when the bottle is standing, not nearly enough for when it's on it's side. With a bottle of Ar and flow meter, I displace well over 90% of the "air" in the bottle with Ar, so even on it's side the wine remains totally capped with inert gas, not CO2, N2 or air which are not inert.

Cap with a Zork, done.

Do you use more gas, yes, but by the cylinder it's very cost effective.

CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote: You were the main person we were throwing this for.....sorta.



If I could swing it I would, just kinda had the north half of my house go all to shite all at once. Cause ya know, nothing ever happens in a budget friendly way. The AC is on the North side of the house. I'm Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! terrified it's going to crap out soon! I will be moving wine to my mom's house if that happens!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Yes, absolutely!

You don't need to alter physics, just get the "air" out.

The commercial system puts only a ~dash~ of Ar/CO2/N2 mix into the bottle; just enough to cap the small area of wine exposed when the bottle is standing, not nearly enough for when it's on it's side. With a bottle of Ar and flow meter, I displace well over 90% of the "air" in the bottle with Ar, so even on it's side the wine remains totally capped with inert gas, not CO2, N2 or air which are not inert.

Cap with a Zork, done.

Do you use more gas, yes, but by the cylinder it's very cost effective.



as effective as just drinking the whole bottle in one sitting?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:If I could swing it I would, just kinda had the north half of my house go all to shite all at once. Cause ya know, nothing ever happens in a budget friendly way. The AC is on the North side of the house. I'm Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! terrified it's going to crap out soon! I will be moving wine to my mom's house if that happens!



well now i'm gonna cry

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
rjquillin wrote:Yes, absolutely!

You don't need to alter physics, just get the "air" out.

The commercial system puts only a ~dash~ of Ar/CO2/N2 mix into the bottle; just enough to cap the small area of wine exposed when the bottle is standing, not nearly enough for when it's on it's side. With a bottle of Ar and flow meter, I displace well over 90% of the "air" in the bottle with Ar, so even on it's side the wine remains totally capped with inert gas, not CO2, N2 or air which are not inert.

Cap with a Zork, done.

Do you use more gas, yes, but by the cylinder it's very cost effective.



I will patiently wait for your write up.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Just a reminder for bay area folks to check out the gatherings tab. We have a cab franc event setup for the 22nd in the South Bay. Please join us!

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:as effective as just drinking the whole bottle in one sitting?

We're not talking Sake here, but it works for those too..

CT

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
zTimothyBz wrote:Will your Argon system work with storing bottles sideways? I'm hoping you can alter some physics, here.

A few years ago, at a tasting of some Douro wines, the maker said he thought vacuum was okay, but refrigeration of an open bottle was bad because more oxygen can dissolve in cooler water.



Seems like a balance between the reaction rate (sped up by heat) and the dissolved oxygen. Not sure which is most important.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:well now i'm gonna cry



And to make it EVEN BETTER my taxes went down 10k, normally a happy occurrence, but it dropped my appraisal 10k so now I'm well and truly Why I oughta...ed with the kitchen/roof and will need a second mortgage just to finish the project. On the plus side, my taxes went down. Ugh

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:I wish, but I'm figuratively hemorrhaging money right now (actually hemorrhaging money would be excruciating, though it's painful in the figurative sense as well). Between the new roof and the new kitchen/dining room I'll be lucky to make Ramen in the new kitchen for the next year!



I've never let that stop me before!!!
ha ha ha ha

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Seems like a balance between the reaction rate (sped up by heat) and the dissolved oxygen. Not sure which is most important.

But lacking a supply of O2, does it matter?

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I can buy a spot on the SQN mailing list for $10k. Should I pull the trigger?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:I've never let that stop me before!!!
ha ha ha ha



Ah, so you're a member of the "I can't be overdrawn! I still have checks!" club.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I can buy a spot on the SQN mailing list for $10k. Should I pull the trigger?



Of course! Your wife's a lawyer!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Of course! Your wife's a lawyer!



Ah, of course! I should slip at a store a sue for damages. Instant $$$!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ah, so you're a member of the "I can't be overdrawn! I still have checks!" club.



of course!

joelsisk


quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
kylemittskus wrote:Ah, of course! I should slip at a store a sue for damages. Instant $$$!



no joke, my father in law slipped at Starbucks. He got a 5 figure settlement.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
joelsisk wrote:no joke, my father in law slipped at Starbucks. He got a 5 figure settlement.



wow...is he ok?