2012 Woot Cellars F-2
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
5/21/12 (2011)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1472 Private Messages Cesare

Woot! Had a chance to taste this last week. Some quick notes:

Very pale yellow color
Tropical fruits (pineapple, lychee)
Sweeter than the 2011 (31.5 vs 26.2 g/L)
More acid than the 2011 (3.0 vs 3.4 pH, also 0.84 vs 0.66 TA)
Lower alcohol than the 2011 (12% vs 13.6%)
Slight hint of carbonation?

Definitely a different wine, due to the completely different grape source and varietal composition.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I was at 3wine co when they were packaging these for shipment. Sadly they didn't have any to taste. Anyone want to split?

Neal K Bharadwaj

kingsleyr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingsleyr

94% off! ;)

wolfean

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wolfean

Anyone know how this compares to the last offering, the 2011?

cortot20

quality posts: 111 Private Messages cortot20

This cant be advertised as a Riesling at 55%. Should be labeled a white blend. I loved the first F-bomb but I thought that it was 100% Riesling.

[MOD: Fixed!]

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 47 Private Messages jmdavidson
kingsleyr wrote:94% off! ;)

$1019 for 6 is pretty expensive.

cortot20

quality posts: 111 Private Messages cortot20
cortot20 wrote:This cant be advertised as a Riesling at 55%. Should be labeled a white blend. I loved the first F-bomb but I thought that it was 100% Riesling.

Edit: the bottle is labeled correctly the offer is not however.

CT

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

Tried this tonight at a dinner party to mixed reviews, but I thought it was solidly quaffable. A nice summer sipper, good QPR at this price - I would be happy with this as a purchase at a few dollars more than the price offered here. Fairly sweet and slightly fizzy. I'll circle back to this and post a more detailed review tomorrow!

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:$1019 for 6 is pretty expensive.

That is a bit steep...perhaps the quote includes the label-art?

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

Woot Cellars F-2, 2012 White Wine

I had an opportunity to taste this with a few friends on Sunday. Fresh from the refrigerator (pop and pour) it's a bit overchilled but we're starting anyhow.

Sound: The cork makes a lovely pop.

Appearance: Straw color, clear.

Me: Nose and palate are both hinting at orchard fruits (peach, pear) with some tart green apple and citrus, which I am going to call lemon/lemon peel. There is some floral note on the nose as well...perhaps honesuckle. There is noticable sweetness, I'd put it at 3-4 on a 1-10 scale.

Sheila: Pear and peach (more pear), orange. Sheila rates the sweetness at 5 on a scale of 1-10.

Shari: Nose is of peach and pear, hint of citrus. Taste "Ick, sugar"...and she handed the glass to me immediately as she ran to the whisky cabinet to cleanse her palate. In her defense, she does not like sweet wines, other than ice wines. Her heart belongs to single malt scotch (she chose a 16yr Aberlour, sherry finished, cask strength that she bottled for herself on a trip to Scotland in 2010...it's quite delicious). We'll spare her from further tasting. More for me!!

As it began to warm up a bit nose and palate are still primarily of orchard fruit and some floral notes (honeysuckle, maybe jasmine), both Sheila and I noted a richer, vanilla/creamy note coming out (Sheila mentioned buttercream frosting). We agree that this would pair well with spicy food (Thai, Indian) and lighter fare (salads, seafood). Our dinner plan tonight included bread, cheeses, fruit, serrano, poscuitto, olives, peppers, and....cupcakes and the wine worked well. We didn't anticipate this woud evolve much over time and we managed to finish the bottle during dinner.

Overall, I'd say this is a nice Spring/Summer sipper, if you like semi-sweet wines. I think I still have most of my F-Bomb left from last Summer as well as a few other Summer wines I never got around to drinking, so I'll have to think about this one.

Note: On tasting earlier, I would have guessed this to be closer to 80% Riesling. The description claims 55% Riesling, 44% Chardonnay, 1% Viognier.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

coolchris160

quality posts: 44 Private Messages coolchris160

I'm curious what the wine bottle icons near the neck of the bottle indicate...?

Here's the artwork from the 2011 vintage:

And here's the artwork from this 2012 vintage:

The 2011 vintage has 3 of them. This 2012 vintage has 8, 4 of which are crossed diagonally. Is this a tally of some sort? My first guess was a tally of how many Woot Cellars offerings there have been, but I'm quite sure there have been more offerings than that.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Last time they offered this is OK, so want to try this. In for one.

And yes, what are the bottle-tallies on the label for?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

You do realize that the female on the label is flipping the bird? The British variant, but it is a f-you gesture none-the-less.

How did this label get approved, when Scott couldn't get InZINerator labels approved in some states?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

greyday

quality posts: 46 Private Messages greyday
JOATMON wrote:You do realize that the female on the label is flipping the bird? The British variant, but it is a f-you gesture none-the-less.

How did this label get approved, when Scott couldn't get InZINerator labels approved in some states?

InZINerator labels were a different issue. The likeness to the superman logo was argued to be "aimed at selling alcohol to minors".

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Cesare wrote:Woot Cellars F-Bomb 2012 Riesling 6-Pack
$59.99 $1,019.00 94% off List Price
2012 Woot Cellars F-2
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
5/21/12 (2011)

That should be V-2, not F-2

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Woot Cellars F-Bomb 2012 White Wine (6)
Speed to first woot: 3m 13.449s
First sucker: RCA
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: 2 minutes ago

A bottle fell off the truck into my hands, and was tasted tonight with the family (Mom, Son, Sis, Bil, Nephews, and Nieces. Enjoyed by all without any complaints.

Full report tomorrow, since it's been a really, really, really long day!

I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

But in for Two!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:
List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 12

Temps are warming up! It's almost time to break out those summery whites!!! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/24: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NorCal #17: Classified Bordeaux Tasting
6/1: NoVA/DC #29: Second Annual Picnic By The Pool
6/15: NorCal #18: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
6/15: DFW #?: Sakhuu Thai Please RSVP by June 7.
TBD: SoCal #26: Wine and Burgers

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:Woot Cellars F-Bomb 2012 White Wine (6)
Speed to first woot: 3m 13.449s
First sucker: RCA
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: 2 minutes ago

A bottle fell off the truck into my hands, and was tasted tonight with the family (Mom, Son, Sis, Bil, Nephews, and Nieces. Enjoyed by all without any complaints.

Full report tomorrow, since it's been a really, really, really long day!

I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

But in for Two!!

classic.

swissbrie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swissbrie

Maybe it is 6 cases for 1000?

swissbrie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swissbrie

Once again. I can buy 7 bottles of silver oak. 1000 bucks for 55% Riesling? Is it for the artwork on the label?

csmorgan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csmorgan

I might read the 2012 as 9 (4 with a cross being 5, plus the next 4), it looks similar to downed planes tallied of the fuselage of an aircraft. This is the F-BOMB! 9 confirmed kills in 2012!

The 2011 vintage has 3 of them. This 2012 vintage has 8, 4 of which are crossed diagonally. Is this a tally of some sort? My first guess was a tally of how many Woot Cellars offerings there have been, but I'm quite sure there have been more offerings than that.

FirstWoot:BFG 5700LE 256MB OverclockedAGPVideoCard
FavoriteWoot:CuisinartGrindandBrewThermal 10-Cup CoffeeMaker
RazerMouseQty:6
Friends:Leakfrog,BlackWootCapeMonkey,Powersquid

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

Can anyone comment on the pre-bottle storage? Stainless tanks or oak?

suzika

quality posts: 8 Private Messages suzika

Anyone in Southern MD want to buy a case and I'll come buy it from you? Stupid VA laws, I really want this as I loved the last F-bomb

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So just the other night, this Monkey driving a delivery truck whizzed by me and ran over my toe. It hurt a lot!
When I finally caught up to the monkey the following night, I was still livid and yelled out a few F-Bombs at him. And the Monkey Screamed right back with “F-2!”
Of course I said, “Why, thank you! I think I just will.”
I grabbed the bottle from him and cracked it open over his head, however this Monkey was deft and jammed a bundle of flowers up my nose Screaming, “Sniff On That!”
And boy did I! That bouquet was quite lovely, even though the stems were hurting my nostrils. I’m not good at naming flowers or scents, but I sure did like them.
I think the Monkey also threw some sort of fruit at me too, since I had citrus scents circling around my head. It’s almost like I saw stars, but instead I was seeing citrus…if citrus was something you could see. I’m thinking maybe grapefruit, or a little orange?

Finally the Monkey ran off and left me to my glass. I was happy, and content, and I finally sipped the lovely nectar. But the Monkey must have been hiding around the corner, because I was hit in the face with some acidity and it could have only come from him. But, right away I knew it was actually a good thing. The flavor filled my mouth, balanced out the acidity, and put a smile on my mouth. The Monkey made me happy.
I can taste the flowers, and the citrus notes in my mouth lend towards orange/pineapple/mango. A bit of minerality seems to be there too, maybe slate? Could also be granite. It’s a nice rock though. Has a little bit of a sweetness to it too, but not too much that would bother those that like the dry whites, but just enough to tease those that are looking for some sweetness in a white wine.

All in all, I’m very glad I chased down that Monkey and that he said “F-2!” to me, and that I can share this story with you. And maybe one day, will be able to say “F-2!” to you, too.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
coolchris160 wrote:I'm curious what the wine bottle icons near the neck of the bottle indicate...?

Here's the artwork from the 2011 vintage:

And here's the artwork from this 2012 vintage:

WWII U.S. bombers sported similar art (Only they were bombs vs. bottles) that represented the number of bombing runs that plane/crew had completed. Nice play on the "bomb" motif. Not sure what is being counted here. Could be Woot Cellars offerings -- is there enough??

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

smitty8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smitty8

Argh, this whole VA law is driving me nuts, even if it's saving my credit cards from exploding. I really liked the first F Bomb, wish I could taste this second one. If only it were shipping to WV (which this one is not), then I could ship it to my Dad's house and go pick it up there.

USP45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages USP45

Virginia!!!
/fist-shake

MarkL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarkL
MarkDaSpark wrote:

But in for Two!!

Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.

edith1

quality posts: 15 Private Messages edith1

I am finding this original price a bit hard to believe. I think a decimal might have been a bit tipsy and moved over a space

ajhipius

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajhipius

I loved the first F-Bomb (and I'm not usually a white drinker) so this is a no brainer for me.

I recall beautiful floral notes on an easy summer drinker from last year.

Ok and the bottle design/name was awesome.

bindsocket

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bindsocket

Is this being done by a different winery or did you guys just not renew your license for West Virginia? I've picked up the previous Woot Cellar offerings and really enjoyed them but since this one cannot be sent to WV guess I will have to miss out on this one.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

I happened to look out the window this weekend and saw a squirrel rolling a wine bottle through my lawn and up to my front stoop. I assume it was to recipricate for all the nuts I fed him over the winter so I thanked him, picked it up and brought in the house. To my surprise it was a Woot Cellars F-Bomb and of course I had to try it.

Opened it up with hubby, some notes from our evening.

Nose-
Immediate upon opening - crisp citrus, little touch of mineral, almost thought it could be a California Sauvignon Blanc. As some air incorporated, floral essence began to emerge similar to my honeysuckle and magnolia blossoms. The sweetness coming through now, started to resemble a Riesling.

Color -
Extremely pale yellow with a drop of Chartreuse, Pantone number 393 at about 12% opacity.

Palate-
Sweeter White, slight effervescence on the tongue. Fuji apple, sweet green grapes, ripe apricot and honeysuckle nectar flavors come through. Just a touch of acidity on the end. As it came closer to room temperature, the effervescence increased and the acidity disappeared completely. I served this with BBQ flank steak and warm spinach salad. The sweetness cut throughout the spicy BBQ sauce nicely and was a good balance for the sweet and sour dressing on the spinach.

In conclusion, a nice white for dessert and summer sipping, but would hang on to a couple bottles for Thanksgiving dinner. I highly recommend a purchase.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

sphervey

quality posts: 34 Private Messages sphervey

This wine poured out a clear, pale yellow. The aroma was very floral straight out of the fridge. I would recommend letting it sit at room temp for a bit before drinking. My spouse, who is prone to terse, creative descriptions, thought it had an aroma like white wine urinal cake - although not in a bad way. Tasting while it was still very cold gave us a semi-sweet, vanilla, lemon with some tropical fruit. After it warmed up a bit the nose became more pronounced and more floral. The wine was active, giving just a hint of carbonation. We corked the remainder and 2 days later most of the nose was gone, the carbonation was gone, and the spices had moved to the forefront when tasting. We really enjoyed the spice as we are not white wine drinkers and especially not sweet white wine drinkers. The verdict is that this is definitely a sipping wine that would be a great to drink on the porch of a Natchez, MS B&B overlooking the river on a hot, humid summer night perhaps accompanied by some cheeses.

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps

I'm having some trouble deciding between picking up this or the Chance Creek SB offering on Woot Plus. I do like a good Riesling, but I have tasted a few lower end Riesling's that are just WAY too flowery and sweet for my taste. I know one reviewer put this at a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale for sweetness, so that seems reasonable.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions in comparing the two for value/overall quality?

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
wooting4keeps wrote:I'm having some trouble deciding between picking up this or the Chance Creek SB offering on Woot Plus. I do like a good Riesling, but I have tasted a few lower end Riesling's that are just WAY too flowery and sweet for my taste. I know one reviewer put this at a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale for sweetness, so that seems reasonable.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions in comparing the two for value/overall quality?

I'm guessing the QPR between the two is about the same. The difference will be the sweetness. The SB, completely dry, and the Bomb, off-dry. From what you've said, I'm guessing you'd like the SB better. Get 'em both and see!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

danncer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danncer
MarkDaSpark wrote:Woot Cellars F-Bomb 2012 White Wine (6)

But in for Two!!

Hey, Mark! Any chance I could buy a bottle or two from you, maybe at the Wine and Burgers party in June? I don't have the space or the money for a full order. -- Ann (who is still alive and kicking in SoCal)

woot! purchases since 10/2006: a whole lotta wine, a few t-shirts, a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, and not one single Box Of Crackers.

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps
kylemittskus wrote:I'm guessing the QPR between the two is about the same. The difference will be the sweetness. The SB, completely dry, and the Bomb, off-dry. From what you've said, I'm guessing you'd like the SB better. Get 'em both and see!

Haha! Thanks for the response. That is my kind of solution! Unfortunately my wallet is vigorously shaking its head no and reminding me about my remaining 5 bottles of Quaffmor (granted that's only about a week supply for me).

Anyone in the Milwaukee area picking this up and want to get rid of a bottle or two? PM me.

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

parrotice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages parrotice

So... how long does this take to get to it's destination? The order page says it ships in 3 to 5 days, but the FAQ page says you'll recieve in 2-3 weeks. Does it take that long to ship?

I'm visiting a friend in New Jersey on 5/31, so I figure I'll get it delivered to her, but will she get it in time?

So many woots, so little time.