MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 22

Spring has sprung! Time to fire up the grill and open that big-assed red before the weather gets too hot to drink big-tannin wines. Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House
5/4: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NorCal Classified Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to the Sole Absolute Triple Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme, Cesare!!

Happy Birthday to Cesare!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Happy Birthday to Cesare.

Congratulations to Oopsie.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
polarbear22 wrote:Happy Birthday to Cesare.

Congratulations to Oopsie.

+1 and +1. And a late happy bday to the Doc.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So, I was traveling on Friday and missed out on the new "Shopping Cart" discussion. I know TT wants these comments directed to the other thread, but I don't want to discuss it with those people, I want to discuss it with these people.

This is bad for Woot, and good for me. Thankfully, this should eliminate nearly all of my impulse buys, especially during woot-offs and will likely save me hundreds of dollars a year. It shouldn't effect my wine purchasing too much, though once again, it will probably curb most of my purchases during the woot-offs. It was always significantly easier to make multiple purchases knowing that I was at least saving $5 on the shipping. Take that away, and my perception of a general decline in QPR on some offers, and thats less money out of my pocket.

My biggest disappointment, however, is that I will not be buying any more Woot Monkeys. I always buy them at the end of Woot-Offs whens I have already unlocked free shipping, which was often. Now, I can't justify an $8-9 monkey.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:So, I was traveling on Friday and missed out on the new "Shopping Cart" discussion. I know TT wants these comments directed to the other thread, but I don't want to discuss it with those people, I want to discuss it with these people.

This is bad for Woot, and good for me. Thankfully, this should eliminate nearly all of my impulse buys, especially during woot-offs and will likely save me hundreds of dollars a year. It shouldn't effect my wine purchasing too much, though once again, it will probably curb most of my purchases during the woot-offs. It was always significantly easier to make multiple purchases knowing that I was at least saving $5 on the shipping. Take that away, and my perception of a general decline in QPR on some offers, and thats less money out of my pocket.

My biggest disappointment, however, is that I will not be buying any more Woot Monkeys. I always buy them at the end of Woot-Offs whens I have already unlocked free shipping, which was often. Now, I can't justify an $8-9 monkey.

As far as I can tell, this should eliminate any and all offers under $15 (or more). I expect to see more bundles, which just means I'm less likely to buy.

I'm all for fewer boxes, especially with the way some of the plus deals were structured. I do NOT agree that it is equivalent in any way to free shipping for the day, but that was only "temporary". I'm not upset about the change itself so much as the ridiculous claims that this is somehow better for the customer.

kylemittskus

joelsisk wrote: I'm not upset about the change itself so much as the ridiculous claims that this is somehow better for the customer.

I agree with this completely.

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:So, I was traveling on Friday and missed out on the new "Shopping Cart" discussion. I know TT wants these comments directed to the other thread, but I don't want to discuss it with those people, I want to discuss it with these people.

However, it will be interesting to see if the WW prices improve. One of the issues was that WW wasn't getting any of the $5 shipping to offset prices, so we saw an increase in the base offer prices.

And before "The Troubles" began, it was $5 shipping for each Woot item anyway, even during Woot-Offs. But I think that everyone is correct, in that there will be less impulse buying of items. I would think they will track that stat for the next one or two Woot-Offs, and who knows, maybe the WO after that will include $5 shipping for the day!

And I think someone (TT?) mentioned that you could always have a Plus offer in your Shopping Cart to bundle with a WO item. Which helps lower the per item cost. Plus you could buy more than one Woot Monkey!!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Plus you could buy more than one Woot Monkey!!!

Only you..

CT

MarkDaSpark

As GT put it, time for your earworm of the day ...

Oh, and

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Only you..

What? You need a backup monkey, and then there's the spare in case someone missed buying it ....

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MarkDaSpark wrote:
And before "The Troubles" began, it was $5 shipping for each Woot item anyway, even during Woot-Offs.

There weren't plus offerings back then.

If Woot wants to return to selling fewer things at less frequency to people, this is a great backpedal.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Birthday, Cesare!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Yesterday I bought the SB in the main offer and some of the Vella cheese in Plus and got charged $5 shipping for both. I'm afraid I missed some of the discussion last week. I'm not seeing a change in shipping.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Don't forget to vote! Vassar-Warner Home
Currently at 131. I was able to vote thrice today!

kylemittskus

bahwm wrote:Don't forget to vote! Vassar-Warner Home

bahwm

I just got a message on FB from our former choir director's aunt. I know that I mentioned that she had a radical hysterectomy and double mastectomy. She went through a series of chemo treatments. She had some additional tests and they found more spots on her liver today. She will be restarting chemo and seeking a second opinion from another oncologist regarding treatment. They do not know if the spots were so tiny at the time of the scan or if they are new. Please add Bridget to your prayers and positive thoughts. Thank you.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:Yesterday I bought the SB in the main offer and some of the Vella cheese in Plus and got charged $5 shipping for both. I'm afraid I missed some of the discussion last week. I'm not seeing a change in shipping.

It's $5 shipping per order now instead of $5 shipping per day. So if you had already purchased the SB then decided a half hour later to get the cheese in a separate transaction you would have paid an additional $5 for shipping.

Cesare

quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Thanks everybody! Went to a local French place we never tried. Can't beat 3 courses plus salad for $28.95 before 6:45. Man were we stuffed. We had to eat with the old people but hey it was Monday. Wine wasn't too fancy, just a decent cotes du rhone.
Hope everyone had a happy earth day.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Happy Woot Off to all the peoples! Long time no see! What's up everyone?

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Don't forget to vote! Vassar-Warner Home

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:Yesterday I bought the SB in the main offer and some of the Vella cheese in Plus and got charged $5 shipping for both. I'm afraid I missed some of the discussion last week. I'm not seeing a change in shipping.

did you check between times? That's the problem. You gotta check out in one fell swoop or you're paying twice. Welcome to the New Woot, Same as the really old Woot!

I think people forget that about 75% of woot's appeal is specifically that they antagonize their customers. They bank on the masochist crowd.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:
I think people forget that about 75% of woot's appeal is specifically that they antagonize their customers. They bank on the masochist crowd.

But in the old times, they would have just said "this is the way we do it. deal with it!" in a bowtie-sarcastic (bowtastic?) 3 paragraph rant. No sugar coating trying to make it sound like a good thing.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:But in the old times, they would have just said "this is the way we do it. deal with it!" in a bowtie-sarcastic (bowtastic?) 3 paragraph rant. No sugar coating trying to make it sound like a good thing.

I think you're on to something..."bowtastic"

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:But in the old times, they would have just said "this is the way we do it. deal with it!" in a bowtie-sarcastic (bowtastic?) 3 paragraph rant. No sugar coating trying to make it sound like a good thing.

I think you've got it - that's what's been bugging me. The whole "it'll be better for customer service" angle. Woot writers pretend to be bowtastic but don't seem to get it any more. Woot is dead - long live woot!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:did you check between times? That's the problem. You gotta check out in one fell swoop or you're paying twice. Welcome to the New Woot, Same as the really old Woot!

Especially when they always have something up when we are asleep!!!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
mommadeb1 wrote:140

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:150

+1

bhodilee

klezman wrote:I think you've got it - that's what's been bugging me. The whole "it'll be better for customer service" angle. Woot writers pretend to be bowtastic but don't seem to get it any more. Woot is dead - long live woot!

technically, this is probably better for their customer service. They can kick back and drink at work now. It sucks for us though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

Anyone want to go?

Wanna be an #LAWinefest VIP? Premium tickets avail on Saturday, June 8 only. VIP includes: early admittance, gift bag, and exclusive access to VIP Garden featuring special tastings! Purchase tickets here: http://lawinefest2013.eventbrite.com/#

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Anyone want to go?

Wanna be an #LAWinefest VIP? Premium tickets avail on Saturday, June 8 only. VIP includes: early admittance, gift bag, and exclusive access to VIP Garden featuring special tastings! Purchase tickets here: http://lawinefest2013.eventbrite.com/#

Advanced Couple Ticket
Troubling...

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Advanced Couple Ticket
Troubling...

You know you want to ....

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:You know you want to ....

no fair... you guys get to have all the fun!!!

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:no fair... you guys get to have all the fun!!!

True ... but it gets offset by the Tin Mans in Sacramento.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Is there a woot off? I remember when I'd hit F5 all the time. Now, I barely remember...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Is there a woot off? I remember when I'd hit F5 all the time. Now, I barely remember...

I know... I have only bought the olives.... even though I was working today... I don't feel like I have missed anything.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
otolith wrote:Is there a woot off? I remember when I'd hit F5 all the time. Now, I barely remember...

I've got a woot checker app on my phone...no need for F5!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

Iron Horse question.... My neighbor has a bottle of 1994 (I think) could be 1996 of Iron Horse.. don't know what.. it has been kept in his fridge all this time..... what are the chances of this being good?

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:Iron Horse question.... My neighbor has a bottle of 1994 (I think) could be 1996 of Iron Horse.. don't know what.. it has been kept in his fridge all this time..... what are the chances of this being good?

in his fridge? I'd say 15%, but I'd put its chances of being excellent somewhere around 99.99%