WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Hunt Country Finger Lakes New York

The nice part about these Hunt County wines is the variety. They say it's the spice of life, you know. Or at least, they say they say. We've never met the original people who said it first, but we're assuming someone did. Otherwise, how would we know?
Hunt Country Vineyards official site

Quality Posts

• (5:18 PM, 4/11/2013) mikefaulk enjoys the recommendation from Clark Smith...

Cesare

quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Hunt Country Mixed 6-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶9̶4̶ 43% off List Price

Hunt Country Mixed 3-Pack
$55.99 $̶8̶9̶.̶9̶7̶ 38% off List Price

Hunt Country Mixed 6-Pack
$76.99 $̶1̶3̶3̶.̶9̶4̶ 43% off List Price

Hunt Country Mixed White Case
$119.99 $̶2̶0̶6̶.̶8̶8̶ 42% off List Price

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

38 bottles of Hunt Country wines in my cellar (plus 12 consumed), so I guess you could call me a fan.

While I have enjoyed some more than others, I've never met a Hunt Country wine that I didn't like. The QPR of their wines is hard to beat, even before WD works his magic with them. Not only that but Jim Hunt usually throws in a generous coupon for a future direct order, especially for wooters.

I was fortunate to visit them in person last October. Sadly, nobody was available to give us a tour but we greatly enjoyed our "chocolate & wine" tasting.

Their Vidal Blanc Ice Wine is famous for good reason - it's delicious! However, my personal favorite is the Late Harvest Vignoles. It makes the mouth come alive with tropical fruit flavors that explode on the palate with sweet-tart goodness!

The Cream Sherry is a unique and tasty fortified wine that works equally well as an apertif or after-dinner drink. It's a little creamy and a little nutty with raisins on the palate and some caramel notes in the background.

As for the Valvin Muscat, just try not to say "Wow!" when you take your first whiff. Then enjoy the smooth deliciousness of this fragrant and flavorful semi-sweet wine.

I've not yet tried the Pinot Gris or the Dolce di Moscato but I will rectify that by getting one of the 6-pack deals within the next few days once I unlock free shipping,

jimhcv

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jimhcv

Hi Wooters, this is Jim from Hunt Country Vineyards. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have about these Woots or our winery.

jimhcv

chipgreen wrote:38 bottles of Hunt Country wines in my cellar (plus 12 consumed), so I guess you could call me a fan.

While I have enjoyed some more than others, I've never met a Hunt Country wine that I didn't like. The QPR of their wines is hard to beat, even before WD works his magic with them. Not only that but Jim Hunt usually throws in a generous coupon for a future direct order, especially for wooters.

I was fortunate to visit them in person last October. Sadly, nobody was available to give us a tour but we greatly enjoyed our "chocolate & wine" tasting.

Their Vidal Blanc Ice Wine is famous for good reason - it's delicious! However, my personal favorite is the Late Harvest Vignoles. It makes the mouth come alive with tropical fruit flavors that explode on the palate with sweet-tart goodness!

The Cream Sherry is a unique and tasty fortified wine that works equally as well as an apertif or after-dinner drink. It's a little creamy and a little nutty with raisins on the palate and some caramel notes in the background.

As for the Valvin Muscat, just try not to say "Wow!" when you take your first whiff. Then enjoy the smooth deliciousness of this fragrant and flavorful semi-sweet wine.

I've not yet tried the Pinot Gris or the Dolce di Moscato but I will rectify that by getting one of the 6-pack deals within the next few days once I unlock free shipping,

Hi ChipGreen, I'm sorry you missed taking a winery tour last time. Please email me (Jim@HuntWines.com) the next time you're going to be in the area, and I'll make sure we can take you for a spin around the place. Thanks for your nice comments about the wines ... very much appreciated! The minerality of our Pinot Gris makes it perfect for smoked salmon, shellfish, or other dishes which call for a less fruit-forward wine (is fruit-backward a word?). It's finished in the French style: more austere than most Pinot Grigios. The Dolce di Moscato is a delicious blend of Valvin Muscat (floral notes) and Vignoles (vibrant citrus and pineapple), great with spicy foods -- try a curry with raisins and almonds -- or well-chilled as a refreshing summer wine. I hope you enjoy them!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jimhcv wrote:Hi ChipGreen, I'm sorry you missed taking a winery tour last time. Please email me (Jim@HuntWines.com) the next time you're going to be in the area, and I'll make sure we can take you for a spin around the place. Thanks for your nice comments about the wines ... very much appreciated! The minerality of our Pinot Gris makes it perfect for smoked salmon, shellfish, or other dishes which call for a less fruit-forward wine (is fruit-backward a word?). It's finished in the French style: more austere than most Pinot Grigios. The Dolce di Moscato is a delicious blend of Valvin Muscat (floral notes) and Vignoles (vibrant citrus and pineapple), great with spicy foods -- try a curry with raisins and almonds -- or well-chilled as a refreshing summer wine. I hope you enjoy them!

I'll definitely be in on the mixed 6 later this week as well. Been wanting to try a lot of these for awhile now, and variety 6 pack seems like just the way to go. I do have a bottle of the Late Harvest Vignoles that I got from Chip, and he shared a bottle of the regular Vignoles (not offered) here at a gathering last year, which I very much enjoyed. Not a big Pinot Grigio fan, but the suggested pairing of smoke salmon seems like a perfect challenge for the smoker I got for Christmas and have yet to use.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm a huge sherry fan. I've never had a domestic "sherry" before, though. That's really the only bottle that I'd buy (I'm not supposed to be buying anything this month) so if anyone in my area doesn't want the sherry, Ill take it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:(I'm not supposed to be buying anything this month)

You've been saying that for several months now, and have bought considerably more than I have in that time frame! Might as well buy this too.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

smwhipple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smwhipple
kylemittskus wrote:I'm a huge sherry fan. I've never had a domestic "sherry" before, though. That's really the only bottle that I'd buy (I'm not supposed to be buying anything this month) so if anyone in my area doesn't want the sherry, Ill take it.

Are you in California? The Sherry is the one dessert I have doubts on.

kylemittskus

smwhipple wrote:Are you in California? The Sherry is the one dessert I have doubts on.

I'm in So Cal.

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:You've been saying that for several months now, and have bought considerably more than I have in that time frame! Might as well buy this too.

This time is different.

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:This time is different.

You should buy the 3-pack and get Klez to go in for the Ice Wine, then you can both share the guilt of breaking your SIWBMs while justifying it at the same time since you're splitting the deal. Not that I'm trying to be an enabler or anything....

chipgreen

jimhcv wrote:Hi ChipGreen, I'm sorry you missed taking a winery tour last time. Please email me (Jim@HuntWines.com) the next time you're going to be in the area, and I'll make sure we can take you for a spin around the place. Thanks for your nice comments about the wines ... very much appreciated! The minerality of our Pinot Gris makes it perfect for smoked salmon, shellfish, or other dishes which call for a less fruit-forward wine (is fruit-backward a word?). It's finished in the French style: more austere than most Pinot Grigios. The Dolce di Moscato is a delicious blend of Valvin Muscat (floral notes) and Vignoles (vibrant citrus and pineapple), great with spicy foods -- try a curry with raisins and almonds -- or well-chilled as a refreshing summer wine. I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks, I will be sure to get in touch the next time we are out that way (hopefully soon!).
Appreciate the notes on the Pinot Gris and Dolce di Moscato, looking forward to trying them both.

bugsmasher69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bugsmasher69

Kinda bummed that the winery's website says they can ship to Wisconsin but woot says they can't.

smwhipple

kylemittskus wrote:I'm in So Cal.

I think I'm going to take a chance and see if I like the Sherry...if you end up with ice wine that you don't know what to do with I can for sure take it off your hands. I get down to LA from time to time.

jimhcv

bugsmasher69 wrote:Kinda bummed that the winery's website says they can ship to Wisconsin but woot says they can't.

Hi Bugsmasher,
I will check into this with the Woot guys and let you know!
Jim

bugsmasher69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bugsmasher69
jimhcv wrote:Hi Bugsmasher,
I will check into this with the Woot guys and let you know!
Jim

Whatever you did made it so us cheeseheads can order now too. Thanks!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Dang it - my SIWBM may come to an early end, as tends to happen around here. Those dessert wines look wonderful, and I feel a need to support Finger Lakes producers (being from western New York, despite now living in South Dakota).

And, now that I look at it, the 6-pack looks like an even better deal. As long as the WBM is going to die, it might as well do so in a big way. An order will be placed 'ere long.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

tonyp063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyp063

I spent 35 years in the Finger Lakes (Canandaigua) & have had many a bottle of Hunt Country in that time.

When I saw this today I about hurt myself because I do so miss the flavors of upstate NY whites.

Very different. Very unique. Different mineral composition, different sweetness levels.
Not at all like a west coast or European white, just a character of it's own. I'll just say "Try it. You'll like it"

Just my $0.02
Now excuse me as I fire up the credit card

jimhcv

bugsmasher69 wrote:Whatever you did made it so us cheeseheads can order now too. Thanks!

It was just a slip of the finger ... the Woot guys took care of it in a jiffy!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:This time is different.

Interesting...I would have sworn you just bought a burg and a bottle of Kapcsandy??

I guess a short term memory loss is part of a SIWBM

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
bugsmasher69 wrote:Whatever you did made it so us cheeseheads can order now too. Thanks!

Thanks for resolving! On Wisconsin!

chipgreen

emmabean2000 wrote:Thanks for resolving! On Wisconsin!

You're all alright!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I have been a fan of Hunt Country for a while. They were really nice to us when we visited them last october. Their late harvest, and sherry is really good. Same with the ice wine. They are also the only people I know who have dry style moscato. I also like their Pearl and Vignole and Classic/Hunter red series.

javst42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages javst42

Would anyone in the Champaign-Urbana area like to split one of the mixed cases?

jimhcv

tiger7610 wrote:I have been a fan of Hunt Country for a while. They were really nice to us when we visited them last october. Their late harvest, and sherry is really good. Same with the ice wine. They are also the only people I know who have dry style moscato. I also like their Pearl and Vignole and Classic/Hunter red series.

Thanks, Tiger, much appreciated! I hope you're able to visit us again before not too long. Best wishes, Jim

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12

I notice on Hunt Country Vineyard's website that they DO ship to Indiana, which is not included on Woot's "available ship to" list. Will Woot ship to Indiana? :-)

(Wooted the late harvest & the ice wine - friends & I were huge fans. I'd like to try the other offerings this time.)

chipgreen

Shadow12 wrote:I notice on Hunt Country Vineyard's website that they DO ship to Indiana, which is not included on Woot's "available ship to" list. Will Woot ship to Indiana? :-)

(Wooted the late harvest & the ice wine - friends & I were huge fans. I'd like to try the other offerings this time.)

Unfortunately, IN does not allow shipping from 3rd parties such as wine.woot.

Shadow12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shadow12
chipgreen wrote:Unfortunately, IN does not allow shipping from 3rd parties such as wine.woot.

Ah - thanks. (Bummer, but thanks for the clarification.)

chipgreen

Shadow12 wrote:Ah - thanks. (Bummer, but thanks for the clarification.)

You're welcome. Sometimes winemakers will offer to match the woot deal for customers who can receive direct from winery (but not 3rd party) shipments. The downside is that you end up paying the regular freight for shipping, which amounts to around an extra $15-20 for one of these 6-pack deals (but would still be a significant discount vs. retail). This type of transaction usually takes place over the telephone but I'll shut up now as it's not really my place to suggest that such a thing may be possible.

chipgreen

OK so I went in on the first mixed 6-pack deal and being a little OCD, I used the retail prices from Hunt Country's website to determine values for entering into Cellar Tracker on these wines.

The retail value of the wines is $120 vs. the $80 woot is charging so I just multiplied the retail list prices by 0.66666 to come up with a pro-rated value for each wine. Then I added tax and shipping to come up with a final value to enter into CT.

For reference, below are the CT listings and relative per bottle values (add your own sales tax and shipping charges to these numbers if applicable);

NV Cream Sherry - $11.33
NV Dolce di Moscato - $7.99
2010 Pinot Gris - $10.67
2010 Valvin Muscat - $9.99
2007 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine - $26.67
2007 Late Harvest Vignoles - $13.33

Oh.... don't forget that the Ice Wine and LH Vignoles are 375ml bottles, while the Cream Sherry is 500ml. The rest are standard 750s.

guyhagen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guyhagen

Having grown up in Upstate NY, I'm in for the case. Just hoping that Woot will offer a good red deal in the next couple days to balance my red/white ratio. ;)

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Why do you keep taunting me? Get your NV license PLEASE!

CT Updating, please wait....

jimhcv

hogfatt wrote:Why do you keep taunting me? Get your NV license PLEASE!

Sorry about that! Next month, we'll start our license application to the State of Nevada, so that we can say "Yes" to Nevadans on our next Woot!

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
jimhcv wrote:Sorry about that! Next month, we'll start our license application to the State of Nevada, so that we can say "Yes" to Nevadans on our next Woot!

<3

CT Updating, please wait....

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk
chipgreen wrote:

The Cream Sherry is a unique and tasty fortified wine that works equally well as an apertif or after-dinner drink. It's a little creamy and a little nutty with raisins on the palate and some caramel notes in the background.

I've not yet tried the Pinot Gris or the Dolce di Moscato,

I reiterate everything Chip says (right down to the 'have not yet tried the PG nor DdM'!). We just opened the cream sherry last night. Very interesting! (it was our first sherry)

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

I'm quite confused about the "mixed 6 pack" that doesn't contain the sherry. Is it a 5 pack or a 6 pack?

The initial photo shows 6 bottles (1 ice, 2 pinot, 1 moscato, 2 muscat) and the specifications indicate that, too.

However, the description shows five bottles in the group photo and the notes specifically talk about two bottles of the Pinot but don't make the same distinction for the muscat...

I'm going to guess it's all 6, but it would be nice to have confirmation before I put my money where my suppositions are.

jimhcv

Bione wrote:I'm quite confused about the "mixed 6 pack" that doesn't contain the sherry. Is it a 5 pack or a 6 pack?

The initial photo shows 6 bottles (1 ice, 2 pinot, 1 moscato, 2 muscat) and the specifications indicate that, too.

However, the description shows five bottles in the group photo and the notes specifically talk about two bottles of the Pinot but don't make the same distinction for the muscat...

I'm going to guess it's all 6, but it would be nice to have confirmation before I put my money where my suppositions are.

Dear Bione,

Thanks for pointing out the typo on the "Features" tab. I'll let the Woot guys know.

I can confirm that the 76.99 package includes 6 bottles of wine: 1 bottle Vidal Blanc Ice Wine, 2 bottles Valvin Muscat, 1 bottle Dolce di Moscato and 2 bottles Pinot Gris. I think you'll really enjoy them!

Best wishes,
Jim, Hunt Country Vineyards

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jimhcv wrote:Dear Bione,

Thanks for pointing out the typo on the "Features" tab. I'll let the Woot guys know.

I can confirm that the 76.99 package includes 6 bottles of wine: 1 bottle Vidal Blanc Ice Wine, 2 bottles Valvin Muscat, 1 bottle Dolce di Moscato and 2 bottles Pinot Gris. I think you'll really enjoy them!

Best wishes,
Jim, Hunt Country Vineyards

It should be fixed now. Sorry for the confusion.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

smwhipple

ThunderThighs wrote:It should be fixed now. Sorry for the confusion.

The text is fixed, but the final picture still shows only 5 bottles.