WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Where In The World Is Amador County?

Amador County, eh? Well, we could take out an atlas and a globe and triangulate the positronic neutron flow… but really, the answer is easy. Amador County is in our hearts. And also, these bottles. Which is good, because you can't recork a heart. Ask any doctor, they'll tell you the same thing.

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare

Where In The World Is Amador County?

Domenico Amador County 2007 Barbera 3-Pack
$62.99 $̶1̶0̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2007 Domenico Amador County Barbera

Lang Wines Red Sampler 6-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶4̶6̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2006 Reserve Zinfandel
2008 Sausalito Zinfandel
2010 Barbera, Amador County, Oakmont Vineyards

Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera 3-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶1̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 36% off List Price
2009 Barbera, Amador County, J&S Reserve

Vino Noceto Riserva 2008 Sangiovese 3-Pack
$49.99 $̶8̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2008 Riserva Noceto Sangiovese, Shenandoah Valley, California

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Think the description of the Vino Noceto needs to be updated - 2 or 3 pack?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
dalematthew wrote:Think the description of the Vino Noceto needs to be updated - 2 or 3 pack?

Agree. Photo and title say 3 pack; description says 2 pack in two different places (under "Features" and under "Specs").

Might be in on that one if it's a 3 pack.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
moondigger wrote:Agree. Photo and title say 3 pack; description says 2 pack in two different places (under "Features" and under "Specs").

Might be in on that one if it's a 3 pack.

My receipt says there are three in the order, and there is a picture of three bottles in the receipt, so I am expecting a 3 pack (actually two of them). If not, someones got some 'splainin to do ...

andyparkin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andyparkin

Also Scott Harvery description (3 reserve barberas - yummo) does not match photo whichmaybe from a previous offer. Some good stuff on offer here!!

Ctmariner

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

Yep, pretty much every listing has an error. Scott Harvey pic showing the wrong wines, Lang pic showing the wrong wine vintages in group pic altho individual label pics are correct, Vino Noceto stating 2 in description instead of 3 and unless something has changed Domenico should be able to ship to Ohio since I have ordered their wines from WW previously.
EDIT: Pulled up the Domenico website and they do not list OH as a ship-to state so I guess they don't anymore.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

The 2009 Reserve Barbera is fantastic, and you just can't go wrong at this price if you enjoy a good Barbera. I have multiple bottles in stock, but will most likely be in for a half case. There is a long list of great wine made by Scott, and this is near the top of the list for me.

Now if only he would have let us open the 2003 Barbera back in February....

Note to self, email Jana about the Library Club.

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

I'm incredibly glad the Noceto is back for sale again. I'm down to my last bottle from the last offering and me and my wife absolutely love this wine! I'm in for 3!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

dalematthew wrote:Think the description of the Vino Noceto needs to be updated - 2 or 3 pack?

it's a 3 pack.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Waiting for someone to go over the Woot+, double check and fix so I know what I would get if I were to order. There seem to be several 'glitches' here.

chipgreen

andreaserben wrote:Waiting for someone to go over the Woot+, double check and fix so I know what I would get if I were to order. There seem to be several 'glitches' here.

I think it's safe to say that your choices are:
A: (3) 2007 Domenico Barbera
B: (2) 2006 Lang Zinfandel Reserve, (2) 2008 Lang Zinfandel Sausalito, (2) 2010 Lang Barbera
C: (3) 2009 Scott Harvey J&S Reserve Barbera
D: (3) 2008 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva

andreaserben

chipgreen wrote:I think it's safe to say that your choices are:

I have no doubts that woot would make it right anyways if there were to be glitches, I just bought too much right now
Would split the Lang sampler with someone but not get the full one, interested in buying the Noceto again, and definitely interested in the Scott Harvey also, currently considering to pass on the Domenico.
Good that there is a local wine gathering tonight, so I can make up my mind. Actually, I might just bring the Noceto I have along, so people in our group can make a decision based on a recent tasting

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

andreaserben wrote:Waiting for someone to go over the Woot+, double check and fix so I know what I would get if I were to order. There seem to be several 'glitches' here.

i'm not seeing said glitches...are you seeing price discrepancy or errors or...?

or was this a hilarious joke that totally went over my head, as they often do...?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

For anyone interested in the Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera, you can get a better deal than woot by ordering directly from Scott Harvey's website. 4 bottles of the Barbera with the promo code birthday comes to $108.80, or $27.20/btl. Compare to woot @ $27.43/btl. So, not only is it (marginally) cheaper per bottle if you order 4 directly from Scott, you also get two free SH crystal wine glasses!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

I've never tried Lang wines, the 6-pack of zin looks like a low investment to test them out!

andreaserben

PemberDucky wrote:i'm not seeing said glitches...are you seeing price discrepancy or errors or...?

or was this a hilarious joke that totally went over my head, as they often do...?

At least two: Wrong picture for the "Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera" (minor problem) offering,
Different quantity in description and specs of "Vino Noceto Riserva 2008" (2) vs quantity in the title (3) - possibly larger problem.
With two discrepancies in one Woot Plus, my old "quality assurance"/"pain in the rear" alter ego considers it likely there might be more glitches... as it points to this having been put together hastily.
As said, I do not doubt that Woot would make it right if e.g. the Sangiovese would turn out to be a 2-pack and people assumed it was a 3-pack.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bsevern wrote:I've never tried Lang wines, the 6-pack of zin looks like a low investment to test them out!

I have a bottle of the Zin the I have not yet tries, but I really enjoyed their Barbara.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

North316 wrote:I have a bottle of the Zin the I have not yet tries, but I really enjoyed their Barbara.

And speaking of Barbara, I think this is the first time the SH Reserve Barbara has been offered as a stand-alone 3-pack.

My CT

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:I've never tried Lang wines, the 6-pack of zin looks like a low investment to test them out!

Good QPR, I have enjoyed the Sausalito Zin and the non-reserve Zin. Have yet to try the Reserve and the Barbera but expect that they will also deliver.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:And speaking of Barbara, I think this is the first time the SH Reserve Barbara has been offered as a stand-alone 3-pack.

Thankfully I already have 3 so my SH damage is limited to around $215 for today with the Cathedrals and his B-day sale.

North316

chipgreen wrote:Thankfully I already have 3 so my SH damage is limited to around $215 for today with the Cathedrals and his B-day sale.

My Scott Harvey damage for the day is only going to be whatever bottle of his I decide to drink tonight in honor of his birthday.

My CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:My Scott Harvey damage for the day is only going to be whatever bottle of his I decide to drink tonight in honor of his birthday.

Nice

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Dang, and I'm just really starting to get into Piedmont wines too. My question is: how similar is Cali Barbera to good DOCG Barbera? How much does terroir matter, and do the Cali producers try to emulate the same winemaking styles as the Italians, or do they stick to methods they use on more common domestic varietals? And which one is the best?

Ok, that was more than one question

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
chipgreen wrote:Good QPR, I have enjoyed the Sausalito Zin and the non-reserve Zin. Have yet to try the Reserve and the Barbera but expect that they will also deliver.

Ive had the Barbera and Zin though not sure the vintage. will check later today and maybe open one for impromptu notes. I will say that Lang wines are very New World, fruit forward, and tend to be a bit hot but not overly so. At $11 per from previous offers a nice, not great, QPR. Current price is about right though I am not sure I would pay more.

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
eluofthenine wrote:Dang, and I'm just really starting to get into Piedmont wines too. My question is: how similar is Cali Barbera to good DOCG Barbera? How much does terroir matter, and do the Cali producers try to emulate the same winemaking styles as the Italians, or do they stick to methods they use on more common domestic varietals? And which one is the best?

Ok, that was more than one question

IMO they are not similar at all...but I like both for different reasons.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

SuzyGullett

quality posts: 5 Private Messages SuzyGullett

I love "in our hearts" -- it's certainly in mine, as I live and breathe Amador County on a daily basis. If I head up the hill just 1/2-mile, I can see out to the snow-covered Sierra Nevada mountains about 1 hour east of here (where my daughter is now skiing) and I can see my beloved Mt. Diablo about 2 hours west of here (in the East Bay Area where I was raised). That puts me in the middle of the two mountains, in the foothills of Northern California at about 1500 feet, about 1 hour east of Sacramento and 1 hour west of Lake Tahoe. By the way, from my window, I see grapevines, a walnut orchard, an olive orchard, a vulture circling above, a red-tailed hawk in a nearby oak tree, a lot of green grass, the dark red iron-rich soil of the foothills, and our Vino Noceto tasting room.

SuzyGullett

Hopefully Scott will chime in for Amador County Barberas, but in the meantime I'll add my two-cents worth. We discovered Amador County Barbera in the early 80's, and Scott's Barbera has been, and still is, among the finest. This grape grows phenomenally well up here, with several great producers (Vino Noceto also makes a Barbera from the Linsteadt Vineyard). Several Amador County Barberas have come out on top of a major Italian Barbera competition, and Amador Barberas take a huge percentage of the awards at the California State Fair each year. Amador Barberas are typically bigger, riper and fruitier than their Italian counterpart, with less perceived acid -- though, still with good acid. Basically, an Amador Barbera is more what you might expect from a California wine. Try googling "a year in wine barbera king for a day" for a great article on California (and Foothill) Barbera by critic Mike Dunne.

SuzyGullett

You'll note that the Amador offerings include Zinfandel, Barbera, and Sangiovese. It's not at all surprising, since these grape varietals thrive in Amador County. Some of the oldest Zinfandel vines in the country come from Amador County vineyards, and Amador has long been known for its Zinfandels. When we travelled to Italy doing our Sangiovese research in the mid-80's, we brought with us for trade Amador County Barbera -- that's because the Amador Barberas are a stand-out. As for Sangiovese, we decided to produce Sangiovese specifically because we fell in love with the varietal, it was different from what anyone else was making, and we felt it would grow especially well in Amador County. We've never been sorry with our decision.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

SuzyGullett wrote:You'll note that the Amador offerings include Zinfandel, Barbera, and Sangiovese. It's not at all surprising, since these grape varietals thrive in Amador County. Some of the oldest Zinfandel vines in the country come from Amador County vineyards, and Amador has long been known for its Zinfandels. When we travelled to Italy doing our Sangiovese research in the mid-80's, we brought with us for trade Amador County Barbera -- that's because the Amador Barberas are a stand-out. As for Sangiovese, we decided to produce Sangiovese specifically because we fell in love with the varietal, it was different from what anyone else was making, and we felt it would grow especially well in Amador County. We've never been sorry with our decision.

Vino Noceto and in particular Suzy has always been one of my favorites. Suzy is as strong a person as i know. always a straight shooter.

Glad you chimed in to represent Amador !

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Great responses, Suzy. Thanks. And here's the link for those too lazy to google:

http://www.ayearinwine.com/2011/06/barbera-king-for-at-least-day.html

I'm kind of disappointed that it's going to be "Calified" Barbera, but I ordered some so I guess I'm not that shook up about it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:Yep, pretty much every listing has an error. Scott Harvey pic showing the wrong wines, Lang pic showing the wrong wine vintages in group pic altho individual label pics are correct, Vino Noceto stating 2 in description instead of 3 and unless something has changed Domenico should be able to ship to Ohio since I have ordered their wines from WW previously.
EDIT: Pulled up the Domenico website and they do not list OH as a ship-to state so I guess they don't anymore.

Sorry for the problems. I sent off for some corrections.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Looks like the Scott Harvey pic is from the 3 pack a year ago (which we bought): http://wine.woot.com/offers/scott-harvey-barbera-and-syrah

avonleacavendish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avonleacavendish

Yay Amador! I wish Heringer Estates were able to produce enough to sell here. Their port is beyond ridiculous.

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii
guzmantis wrote:For anyone interested in the Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera, you can get a better deal than woot by ordering directly from Scott Harvey's website. 4 bottles of the Barbera with the promo code birthday comes to $108.80, or $27.20/btl. Compare to woot @ $27.43/btl. So, not only is it (marginally) cheaper per bottle if you order 4 directly from Scott, you also get two free SH crystal wine glasses!

I think your math is incorrect on the woot side. $69.99+$5s/h is ~$75 for 3 bottles shipped through woot. This comes up to $25 per bottle, compared to the $27.20 per bottle on SHs site. That said, ordering direct give you the option to mix and match a few other interesting birthday sale wines in... and you get the free shipping over $100 along with the two SH wine glasses.

Just pointing that out and clarifying the two deals.

EDIT: Also include the tax to determine your personal total cost at woot. Mine is low, so total came out to ~$26.50 per bottle.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
Merlynxlii wrote:I think your math is incorrect on the woot side. $69.99+$5s/h is ~$75 for 3 bottles shipped through woot. This comes up to $25 per bottle, compared to the $27.20 per bottle on SHs site. That said, ordering direct give you the option to mix and match a few other interesting birthday sale wines in... and you get the free shipping over $100 along with the two SH wine glasses.

Just pointing that out and clarifying the two deals.

You're leaving out the tax most of us must pay on the woot deal. With that factored in, it is indeed a little more expensive per bottle through woot, and doesn't include the bonus glasses.

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii
moondigger wrote:You're leaving out the tax most of us must pay on the woot deal. With that factored in, it is indeed a little more expensive per bottle through woot, and doesn't include the bonus glasses.

Yeah, just remembered these recent tax changes. In my case, it still worked out to the my advantage as I have lowish taxes. That said, if you can afford to go for the 4th bottle and are interested in the glasses the SH direct deal is likely better overall.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, we've got the write-ups correct as to what you're getting. Still working on the photos.

UPDATE: ok, I think everything is fixed now. I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm wrong.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

Quit telling people about Amador County! It's already getting too crowded for us locals who've been going there for years....

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

In for some more of the Vino Noceto Riserva, just can't resist them...I tried tho

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson