otolith wrote:We were at a friend's house the other weekend, and they mentioned that they are going to do a little addition to their house. Part of it will include an outside kitchen. When our friends mentioned that they'll probably get a smoker, SWMBO got pretty excited about that possibility, which I took as permission to buy one. :D
Is this a good deal to those who have or want a smoker?
WHo knew Staples sold smokers?
Or, what would you suggest?
edit: Maybe this one?
No, do not buy those, for any reason. They both appear to be the kind that you have to open the door to load the chips, which you'll need to do a couple times and POOF there goes your smoke and heat!
No, no, you need a better one (not necessarily more expensive, though how hot would a Big Green Egg look on your deck?)
This is mine
Reason's to love it:
1) You load the chips from the side, no need to open the door!
2) it's really well insulated for this style of smoker. Basically a mini fridge with a nice tight seal on the door
3) I like the electric. I know Charcoal is "traditional", but you're already smoking, the charcoal isn't adding anything to it and the temps can get funky. Propane is fine, but you have to fine tune the temps. See what I'm getting at here? On the electric ones like this, you dial up 225 on the keypad, you tell it how long you want to cook (add an hour for heat up time, I like to run it an hour dry first to heat the walls) and you put your food in, change the chips a couple times and BAM! delicious smoked foods.
4) Also, and I just found this out and will be buying it this year, you can buy a cold smoker attachment for any masterbuilt digital smoker so you can make BACON! yourself. Oh, there will be bacon. And cheese I guess, but mainly bacon.
5) Also, note the size of the water pan, this is good in many ways, not hte least of which is catching the drippings. Smoked Turkey Gravy is beyond good.
edit: it should be noted mine is an older model. The new ones come with a remote, for some reason. Anyway here is the Bass Pro Version It's a masterbuilt, just with the bass pro logo. Cabela's sells them as well (sans Bass Pro logo ;) ) I would think you have one of those pretty close yes?
Editier: Really, there are FOUR Cabela's and not ONE Bass Pro in Minnesota? There is no logic in this world.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)