James Family Cellars Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶2̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2008 Stony Point Vineyard Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 66 Private Messages trifecta

Need more specs! pH? TA?

Any tasting notes Neil?

jamesfamilycellars

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesfamilycellars

Hi Wooters! We're very excited to share our wine and our story with you. A couple of our favorite foods to pair with our '08 Pinot Noir are grilled pork loin and grilled salmon. It's been a long, productive day here in wine country so we're going to call it a night and we'll check back when the sun comes up. Cheers!

jamesfamilycellars

trifecta wrote:Need more specs! pH? TA?

Any tasting notes Neil?

Trifecta - We'll get back to you tomorrow with the pH & TA (they're at the office). FYI - alcohol = 13.8 and we produced just 628 cases of this vintage.

cortot20

quality posts: 111 Private Messages cortot20
jamesfamilycellars wrote:Hi Wooters! We're very excited to share our wine and our story with you. A couple of our favorite foods to pair with our '08 Pinot Noir are grilled pork loin and grilled salmon. It's been a long, productive day here in wine country so we're going to call it a night and we'll check back when the sun comes up. Cheers!

Thanks for joining us. Are these at peak drinking or on their way to their peak drinking window.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 504 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jamesfamilycellars wrote:Hi Wooters! We're very excited to share our wine and our story with you. A couple of our favorite foods to pair with our '08 Pinot Noir are grilled pork loin and grilled salmon. It's been a long, productive day here in wine country so we're going to call it a night and we'll check back when the sun comes up. Cheers!

Welcome and thanks for joining us. I'm sure there will be more questions tomorrow as people wake up.

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman
jamesfamilycellars wrote:Trifecta - We'll get back to you tomorrow with the pH & TA (they're at the office). FYI - alcohol = 13.8 and we produced just 628 cases of this vintage.

Thanks for coming in and making and effort to answer our nerdy questions! What do you do for the winery?

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jamesfamilycellars

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for joining us. Are these at peak drinking or on their way to their peak drinking window.

The '08 earned Gold at the S.F. Chronicle Competition upon release in '10, and has just gotten better,and more complex, since then. It is pouring great right now and should be ideal over the next two or three years.

jamesfamilycellars

klezman wrote:Thanks for coming in and making and effort to answer our nerdy questions! What do you do for the winery?

We're glad to be here. We are Jeff and Judy James the owners, grape growers, debt holders and chief bottle washers at James Family Cellars.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 3rd.

Welcome Atlanta Wooters! Hope you get a good group on March 30th.

There has been a lot of recent activity in the "looking for helping hands" threads. Anyone willing to put a stake in the ground and spend some time talking it up with friends? Time to get a move on!

March
3/16: NYC #21: Cupcakes
3/22: Minnesota #20: Visitors from Afar
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
3/30: Atlanta #1

April
4/6: Colorado/Wyoming #?
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: NorCal: Wheelbarrow o' Wine
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

SPARKY!!!

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

jamesfamilycellars wrote:We're glad to be here. We are Jeff and Judy James the owners, grape growers, debt holders and chief bottle washers at James Family Cellars.

That's an excellent array of titles! It helps some of us to know from which position winery reps are speaking. It's awesome that you are the head honchos.

Have you a favourite bottle-washing tool?

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 108 Private Messages bsevern
jamesfamilycellars wrote:We're glad to be here. We are Jeff and Judy James the owners, grape growers, debt holders and chief bottle washers at James Family Cellars.

Welcome, you're going to fit in here just fine

As a fellow Pinofile, I'm curious to learn more about this offer, need tasting notes, please...anyone? Neil??

rpm

quality posts: 163 Private Messages rpm

I have a bottle of this, which I will try to review midday Eastern. I wish I had known it would be up today, I would have opened it last night....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

sphervey

quality posts: 34 Private Messages sphervey

A review for you:

http://thewinespies.com/directory/wine/1074

sphervey

And more info plus an interview:

http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/2008-james-family-cellars-stony-point-vineyard-pinot-noir/

sphervey

And a youtube video with the owners:

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'll be posting some tasting notes as I have this with my dinner this evening. Stay tuned everyone!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

How about a smoked pork loin? How would this hold up? It's getting to be that time of year here.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:That's an excellent array of titles! It helps some of us to know from which position winery reps are speaking. It's awesome that you are the head honchos.

Klez, I don't know why, but this has struck me as the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I'm tempted to answer Kyle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
jamesfamilycellars wrote:The '08 earned Gold at the S.F. Chronicle Competition upon release in '10, and has just gotten better,and more complex, since then. It is pouring great right now and should be ideal over the next two or three years.

All of the Barefoot line up have won gold medals and "chef's choice" awards, too.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

bhodilee wrote:Klez, I don't know why, but this has struck me as the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I'm tempted to answer Kyle

Happy to help!

jamesfamilycellars

klezman wrote:That's an excellent array of titles! It helps some of us to know from which position winery reps are speaking. It's awesome that you are the head honchos.

The most important tool is a full bottle from which to sip while washing the bottles. Then, at the end of the project, you'll have another bottle to wash... job security!

jamesfamilycellars

bhodilee wrote:How about a smoked pork loin? How would this hold up? It's getting to be that time of year here.

That sounds delicious... we haven't tried that pairing but our Pinot Noir and smoked turkey is a perennial favorite so I think the pork loin would be great. Can't wait to try it!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jamesfamilycellars wrote:That sounds delicious... we haven't tried that pairing but our Pinot Noir and smoked turkey is a perennial favorite so I think the pork loin would be great. Can't wait to try it!

I'll be trying it with braised, cajun rubbed boneless chicken thighs over some rice with a side of veggies.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 504 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:I'll be posting some tasting notes as I have this with my dinner this evening. Stay tuned everyone!

Tonight? Why the heck aren't you having it with breakfast!?!?!?

ipodsimpleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ipodsimpleton

ThunderThighs, wine woot has come so far in a relatively short time (translation: most wines can now ship to my state!).

You know what would be a nice enhancement? Prepurchase clarification on whether the shipment will require a signature. Just missed a case Saturday because of that.

Sometimes, knowing whether or not a signature is required by the shipping winery will influence my purchase decision.

Thanks for listening!

trifecta

ipodsimpleton wrote:ThunderThighs, wine woot has come so far in a relatively short time (translation: most wines can now ship to my state!).

You know what would be a nice enhancement? Prepurchase clarification on whether the shipment will require a signature. Just missed a case Saturday because of that.

Sometimes, knowing whether or not a signature is required by the shipping winery will influence my purchase decision.

Thanks for listening!

Always required, for alcohol that is. Nearly all ship FedEx, which you can easily redirect to be held for pickup at your local FedEx office. Strange you missed it on Saturday. They never deliver on Sat for me.

jamesfamilycellars

jamesfamilycellars wrote:Trifecta - We'll get back to you tomorrow with the pH & TA (they're at the office). FYI - alcohol = 13.8 and we produced just 628 cases of this vintage.

Requested stats on our '08; pH = 3.62. TA = 0.62 g/100 ml
Thanks for asking!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ipodsimpleton wrote:ThunderThighs, wine woot has come so far in a relatively short time (translation: most wines can now ship to my state!).

Thanks for listening!

A signature (by someone 21 or over) will always be required for wine deliveries.

Sometimes a helpful thing to do is have your wine delivered to your work address. Not sure whether it would have been worthwhile in this case, but something to keep in mind.

ETA: just saw Trifecta's post. Never mind!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

donrubin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donrubin

Thanks for listening!

Actually another good enhancement is to have an estimate of when the winery will ship the wine. I have had orders in the past that shipped after a few days (yeah!) and others that have taken two months (boo!). It might influence my purchase decision.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks for joining us James Family!

We tasted this at Aged Pinot night a month or so ago... (Trifecta, BSevern, CMaldoon, any notes?) It was one of the young wines amongst some aged domestics and burgundies, I recall it having nice Sonoma Coast profile- light, cherry fruit, decent acidity; a little oak.

Hoping someone took notes?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

hillig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig
kylemittskus wrote:All of the Barefoot line up have won gold medals and "chef's choice" awards, too.

Barefoot is an easy target certainly, but it's great QPR wine in an easy drinking style. There is a reason caterers and party planners swear by it.

The wine pantheon is not solely the place of extracted tannin-hurling gods.

bsevern

quality posts: 108 Private Messages bsevern
neilfindswine wrote:Thanks for joining us James Family!

We tasted this at Aged Pinot night a month or so ago... (Trifecta, BSevern, CMaldoon, any notes?) It was one of the young wines amongst some aged domestics and burgundies, I recall it having nice Sonoma Coast profile- light, cherry fruit, decent acidity; a little oak.

Ah ha, OK, I recall this one now.

trifecta

neilfindswine wrote:

hmm... I do recall it now, although I don't remember the label looking like this. I may have some notes scribbled at home. They will be sparse as this was one of over a dozen wines that night. The detailed reviews we should get later today will probably be more helpful.

ipodsimpleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ipodsimpleton
trifecta wrote:Always required, for alcohol that is. Nearly all ship FedEx, which you can easily redirect to be held for pickup at your local FedEx office. Strange you missed it on Saturday. They never deliver on Sat for me.

Thanks all for shipping info. Strange—my previous wine woot arrived via UPS and was left on porch—no signature required.

As for FedEx, they appear to be skipping a Monday retry for delivery, for some reason. I work from home, and FedEx Ground typically delivers between 5 and 6—the most likely time I'm NOT home.

kylemittskus

hillig wrote:Barefoot is an easy target certainly, but it's great QPR wine in an easy drinking style. There is a reason caterers and party planners swear by it.

The wine pantheon is not solely the place of extracted tannin-hurling gods.

The reason caterers and party planners choose it is because it's cheap and most people like it. Most people aren't wine educated, though. I know, I know. Snobby, highbrow, a-hole. That doesn't make it untrue. People who don't drink wine in any nerdy way prefer wines with a bit of RS, little to no acid or tannin, and that drink easy. None of this was my point, though.

My point is saying a wine won a gold medal doesn't hold much wine when wines like Barefoot win them, also. I don't think Barefoot is anhwenre near this wine's caliber. That's not saying much for this wine. Thee gold medal hardly says more, though.

rpm

quality posts: 163 Private Messages rpm

I opened this Pinot about an hour or so ago. I immediately looked at it carefully and found it to be relatively light in body, very very clear - the picture of limpid.

The initial impression on the nose was predominantly strawberry - fairly subtle, but distinctive. Something floral, maybe roses, something akin to vanilla. Overall very pleasant.

Entry is nice, not overwhelming with some astringency. Flavors in the entry are less distinctive than the nose.

Body continues to be light through the middle palate, with some bitterness.

The finish is medium long, with a little tannin and something that is either the bitterness continuing or a slightly acetic hint. I'm not sure at this point and will have to see as it opens up.

More after dinner (broiled salmon).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kaolis

quality posts: 21 Private Messages kaolis
kylemittskus wrote:All of the Barefoot line up have won gold medals and "chef's choice" awards, too.

Man.. that was cold...

kylemittskus

kaolis wrote:Man.. that was cold...

Not a critique of this wine at all. Just stating a fact to keep things in perspective.