Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Woot Cellars 2011 Triacipedis the White III 5-Pack
$54.99
2011 Triacipedis the White in the Dominion of the Flower-King
CT link above

Previous offer:
7/12/12

• Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.
  • Sales tax is now calculated and charged at checkout for your location, instead of being included in the total price beforehand.
  • -il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Yo! There's been some changes with the order process. Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information.

FORUM MODERATOR
    To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
    ThunderThighs wrote:Yo! There's been some changes with the order process. Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information.

So we are now paying sales tax. Boooo!

CT

Cesare

cortot20 wrote:So we are now paying sales tax. Boooo!

We were always paying it.

-il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
    Cesare wrote:We were always paying it.

So, if it's charged separately now rather than included, it amounts to an increase for each deal, right? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

cortot20

My wife enjoyed this but not enough for a reorder.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:

Yo! There's been some changes with the order process. Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information.

Yep, take a look. important!

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

I bought this last time. Interesting blend of Riesling/Albariño/Chard that shows characteristics of all three varietals. Slightly heavy/viscuous mouthfeel and notes of petrol and pear from the Riesling, tropical fruits and bright acidity from the Albariño and tart green apple and mineral notes from the Chardonnay.

It's very quaffable and $5 less than before so this might be a good opportunity to start stocking up on summer whites.

cortot20

bolligra wrote:So, if it's charged separately now rather than included, it amounts to an increase for each deal, right? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

No. Instead of it being rolled onto the total price it is now broken out and calculated by your location. For example. This deal now costs me 40 cents more than it did last time. Because tax in LA county is ridiculous on all fronts.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
    cortot20 wrote:No. Instead of it being rolled onto the total price it is now broken out and calculated by your location. For example. This deal now costs me 40 cents more than it did last time. Because tax in LA county is ridiculous on all fronts.

Ahh, that's why it's less this time. For me the tax is only $3.90 so I make out by $1.10 - yay, Ohio!

Cesare

chipgreen wrote:Ahh, that's why it's less this time. For me the tax is only $3.90 so I make out by $1.10 - yay, Ohio!

Yeah. People in states/cities that have lower sales tax (6% for example) win, people in states that have like 9% lose. Or are losers? Either way ;)
    I have $5.32 here in nyc for this offer so slightly more. I lose. I'm sad :[

-il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:Ahh, that's why it's less this time. For me the tax is only $3.90 so I make out by $1.10 - yay, Ohio!

FORUM MODERATOR
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Wow. It's feeling more and more like colonial America every day. Take the guns, raise and add more taxes. It's enough to drive even a sane horse to drink... Oh, but with the taxes I can no longer afford to woot! with heretofore wild abandon. :-(

TAXSUCKS! (yeah, that doesn't work anymore either)

But about this wine... It was one of the few unfinished bottles at our tasting. Alas, a day of resting only made it worse. I almost never pour out wine, but this was only good for the drain. I love the label, but couldn't abide the wine. I could probably hunt down my tasting notes, but really, it's not even worth going into.

All told, today's wine!woot! Is a total fail. :-(

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
    MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams
    ckeilah wrote:But about this wine... It was one of the few unfinished bottles at our tasting. Alas, a day of resting only made it worse. I almost never pour out wine, but this was only good for the drain.

Hmm...I remember reading last time about this one when there were mixed 1/2 and full cases of the woot cellars wines, that Triacipedis White was one of the most talked-about and highly demanded ones.

Is there a difference say if they had Triacipedis White I, II, III?

I've got a few bottles left...so I'm really looking forward to it. But thanks for your comments - there was one wine the other day I bought off here that even the 'day of resting' did not make it better, only worse ending in the drain. Was a damn good deal, guess the rest of them I'll hold on to and give away as gifts or pop another one in 6mo-2yrs.

gmwhit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gmwhit

Tax now? Urmmm. I think not. Other wineries do NOT charge tax. And some ship free. Guess I'm done now. Oh, and the convoluted way that woot determines the retail price/percentage off. (Never bought into that.) Thanks for the memories, though.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

I've tried a sip of Triacip 1, 2, and 3...not my style. The acid and sweetness don't balance for me, or at least not to the level that I prefer to drink. For me it needs either more acidity, less sweetness, or a couple notches more concentrated flavours.

Having said that, molarchae is a fan of these. Her preference with off-dry wines includes a wider range of acid/sugar balances than mine.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong

I'm a big fan of Triacipedis (modulo the one bottle whose neck broke while I was opening it) but a bottle I opened recently did not have that satisfying zesty off dry tanginess that I liked so much. So I'm wondering if it's only good for a few months in the bottle. Any ideas?

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
    gmwhit wrote:Tax now? Urmmm. I think not. Other wineries do NOT charge tax. And some ship free. Guess I'm done now. Thanks for the memories, though.

We've *always* been paying tax here. It's just been included and averaged out for us in advance. You may notice all of your receipts/packing lists note "sales tax included where appropriate". Now they're just breaking it out of the price. Last time this was $60, so the $5 difference is about average tax. If you're in CA or NY you'll pay a bit more and in OH you'll pay less than last time. Same with shipping...you know it actually costs more than $5 to ship a 6 pack of wine, right?

If the new way of doing things offends you, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I'm just going to say it's more fruitful to compare the after tax/shipping/service charge/etc prices when making purchasing decisions. Even if I do prefer the all-in pricing model.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
    2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ru4tunate2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ru4tunate2

I bought this wine last time it was on Woot and enjoyed it very much. I am unable to give you a sophisticated analysis, but I know what I like and I like this wine, lol.....Enjoy all!

ru4tunate2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ru4tunate2

Oh damm, 9% sales tax in Arizona, no more Woot wine for me

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Those folks Oregon are going to be happy too . As for me the difference is a bit more, but pretty much negligible.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
    ru4tunate2 wrote:Oh damm, 9% sales tax in Arizona, no more Woot wine for me

Which makes it....... The same price as it was last time.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
    Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
    My Cellar

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
    Cesare wrote:Yeah. People in states/cities that have lower sales tax (6% for example) win, people in states that have like 9% lose. Or are losers? Either way ;)

And people like me get to stop being charged for taxes we don't pay! I love living in a sales tax free state...

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
    trifecta wrote:Those folks Oregon are going to be happy too . As for me the difference is a bit more, but pretty much negligible.

Heh, yeah, this. Not to, you know, rub it in, but look at it this way: something like 70 wine woots in, I paid a lot of tax I normally wouldn't have...

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

You made out this time, but can we assume deals in the future will be $5 less than they would have been? I doubt it; I think this equates to a price increase for the future.

Regardless, that will not affect my buying decisions on wine.woot.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Ahhh, sales tax. We've been warned this was coming for awhile now. I know something bad was coming when WD asked Cesare to check his PM's at the end of the day yesterday. Hopefully we will continue to see a slight reduction in the sales price to offset the tax, since "we've always been paying it", but I have a feeling that will not be the case, and that it was only done here to soften the initial impact. I guess time will tell on that.

While we are making changes, now is as good of a time as any for WD to start implementing my suggestion of having Dessert Wine Friday's. Come on David, we love the sweet stuff.

As for this wine. It was a decent easy drinking wine. Nothing spectacular, but it was definitely not drain worthy as someone mentioned above. I personally would not buy it again, but I am not a big white drinker to begin with.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan
    ru4tunate2 wrote:Oh damm, 9% sales tax in Arizona, no more Woot wine for me

az tax is 6.6%. anything over that is county and/or city tax.

my grumble du jour is that woot taxes shipping...

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Funny, I was grumbling yesterday at my mixed fortune. Having the good fortune to find (3) 07' Wellington Merlot at the local grocers closeout bin, my spirit dampened a bit on approaching the cashier and remembering I would be paying tax on top of my purchase. Then I remembered it was PW! Here in Ohio! All is well(ington).

(Buehler's Chip - but don't bother with Wadsworth - those are all mine
    )

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie

Am I the only one having a problem with the site? Don't really want to purchase the wine as I have in the past and it is not my cup of tea but I did want to see what my tax would be here in Illinois. Won't let me check though. Get a site error.

bauer9950

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bauer9950

I live in CT where sales tax is 6.35%. Tax comes out to $3.81 on this particular offer. Unless I did my math wrong, we are getting taxed on the $5 shipping as well. Granted it's not much, considering I'm still paying less than before, but something to note for those that pay more sales tax.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
    Cesare wrote:Yeah. People in states/cities that have lower sales tax (6% for example) win, people in states that have like 9% lose. Or are losers? Either way ;)

Up till now we paid the sales tax to each state that the wine was shipped too. Over all sometimes it averaged 4% but was usually around 7 to 8%.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
    bolligra wrote:You made out this time, but can we assume deals in the future will be $5 less than they would have been? I doubt it; I think this equates to a price increase for the future.

Regardless, that will not affect my buying decisions on wine.woot.

In the past when we negociated the price with woot we figured in about 8% tax that we would have to pay. We always try to make sure Woot offers the lowest price, so we are conscious of our bottom line when negociating the price and always had to figure we would be paying approx. 8% state taxes. Now we can negociate a lower price because we will no longer be losing the 8% tax.

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

If you or your family/friends enjoy sweeter rieslings, this is a good match for you. I had served this for my white selection at Thanksgiving and it was a hit. It went well with the mix of foods that is usually hard to pin down a wine for. For that reason I think this wine is perfect for summer bbq's when everyone is bringing their favorite appetizer or Grandma's famous ambrosia salad.

I would also recommend this with spicy foods, a light chicken dish, or even as a dessert wine if you are serving pastries like strudel or fruit tarts.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
    gtcharlie wrote:Am I the only one having a problem with the site? Don't really want to purchase the wine as I have in the past and it is not my cup of tea but I did want to see what my tax would be here in Illinois. Won't let me check though. Get a site error.

Illinois tax is 6.25%. So this offer the tax is $3.75..and yes the tax is computed on the shipping as well apparently.

ThunderThighs

Staff

gtcharlie wrote:Am I the only one having a problem with the site? Don't really want to purchase the wine as I have in the past and it is not my cup of tea but I did want to see what my tax would be here in Illinois. Won't let me check though. Get a site error.

Are you still getting a site error? Can you try a different browser?

FORUM MODERATOR

benyust2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2

I'm in Maryland and it is trying to add 9% sales tax on the shipping. However, according to the Comptroller of Maryland, tax isn't supposed to be applied to shipping. There is a rule about "handling" but it seems to me since the shipping fee doesn't mention "handling," woot is trying to get me to pay more than I should. http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Resource_Library/Taxpayer_Assistance/Frequently_Asked_Questions/Business_Tax_FAQs/Alcohol_and_Tobacco_Tax/Alcoholic_Beverages_FAQs/12.shtml

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

I preferred Triacipedis 2, but found 3 to be very drinkable. My husband, not so much, but he doesn't like whites much to begin with.
    Someone earlier wondered if these cellar well, and they don't. I found that my 2 had become too acidic - borderline vinegary - after about a year in the wine rack, and the 3 had done the same after just 5 or 6 months. For the first 3 or 4 months of having these, they make great bbq or even risotto wines, and they also make fantastic peach sangria. But unless you enjoy that bite of acid, plan to enjoy these as your pre-summer whites.
    Note: I live in the south, so there's a good chance the warmth and humidity effect this wine more than heavy buttery chardonnays or reds that are more robust in the first place... Perhaps someone who lives in the north can give their findings on how this wine keeps?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Can we please stop threatening to leave every time something happens that we don't like? It's getting really old. Does it suck that we see the tax now? Yes. Is it changing the price you pay in the end? Perhaps a few cents +/-. Should we storm the Bastille? Hell yes! But let's all be clear about what the Bastille is in this case. It isn't woot.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny

The base tax rate in Illinois is 6.25%. Your local community and county adds their rate to that so Chicago is upwards around 9.5%. I'm guessing they are charging the base state tax rate here.

As for the shipping tax issue people are talking about, take it up with your tax accountant. If your state does not require shipping and handling to be taxed, I would think you should be requesting a refund at income tax filing time. If woot collected it, they sent it to Uncle Sam. If someone is unhappy with the added cost because of their level of state tax, don't take it out on Woot, take it up with your state government. It's not woots fault and honestly, I'm glad to see online purchases getting taxed. It is going to level the playing field a bit more for local businesses on the ground vs online to produce better customer service, pricing structure, business strategies etc. The cost effectiveness of shopping online shouldn't come from lack of paying taxes on the items. Then by right if the public would do their homework and start zapping the politicians with verbal cattle-prods, the more sales tax coming in should mean more state income and in (short) time the rate itself should start to lower.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei