Scott Harvey Old Vine Reserve Zinfandel 5-Pack
$79.99 (Normally $190.60) 58% off List Price
2010 Scott Harvey Wines Zinfandel, Amador County, Old Vine Reserve
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

No! I'm not allowed to buy wine! Seriously, this is great stuff. If you like Zinfandel and restraint this wine is for you.

Also, if somebody wants to part with a bottle or two let me know.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta

Scott - Can you please compare/contrast this vintage to the 2009? I am pretty sure I'm in on this. SIWBM is really taking a hit.... Harvest Moon, now this

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

The last vintage of this that I had was the 06'. How am I four years behind? I guess I'll have see if I have room for even a couple of these.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:Scott - Can you please compare/contrast this vintage to the 2009? I am pretty sure I'm in on this. SIWBM is really taking a hit.... Harvest Moon, now this

See, that's why you do what I do...kvetch about it and then take a couple of bottles from somebody local at a later date. Kyle? tyger?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:See, that's why you do what I do...kvetch about it and then take a couple of bottles from somebody local at a later date. Kyle? tyger?

My local enablers have been on WBM as well. Makes it tougher....

ghyo1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1

This wine is on Amazon for $32.00, plus $9.99 shipping. Locally, it is $28.73 plus tax.

WineSpies says: Very highly recommended, today’s wonderful 2010 Amador County Old Vine Zinfandel is such a wonderful, delicious wine, filled with flavor and great character. A worthy follow-up to the previous vintages, today’s wine marks the 5th successive vintage that we’ve featured. As always, winemaker, Scott Harvey delivers a balanced and delicious wine that is sure to please all Zinfandel fans.

If you’ve never tasted an Amador County Zin, you are in for a real treat. The ancient vines from which this wine sprang are still producing remarkable and distinctive fruit. This wine is bright, juicy, complex and very approachable.

Pair with BBQ pork, a garlic rubbed steak, grilled to perfection, or a spicy roasted chicken.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda

Now that Virginia is off the list I have to gift elsewhere and then go visit them-but when Mill is the first sucker??? I'm just saying-don't know him (or her) but they seem to know their wine,

edoursler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edoursler

Is the CT drinking window of 12 years correct? Does Zinfandel usually age that long?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
edoursler wrote:Is the CT drinking window of 12 years correct? Does Zinfandel usually age that long?

Properly made (and Scott is very talented with Zinfandel), Zinfandel is capable of aging up to 30-40 years. Most Zinfandel is not made to age, and even Zins rigged to age are charming in their youth, so you don't have to age Zinfandel the way you do have to age Cabernet.

This is an autobuy. Scott's wines are always worthwhile. Note for those who are very fond of Scott's slightly sweeter Zins: this is a very dry wine, not with a hint of sweetness.

This is much more a food wine and one to enjoy both now and in a few years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

Yep, autobuy.

Speed to First Woot: 0m 19.557s
First Sucker: mill
Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen
Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

How does this offer compare to say a bottle of 2007 1869 Scott Harvey.

Just finished off the last bottle of that over the holidays. Amazing juice. Very tempted to jump on this!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Scott - in the past, you've helped out some of us in the states not listed. Can I make a call later and work out a shipment?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

woot47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot47

All my 2009's are gone...
Time for the 2010's!

mdctreeguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy

Typically wine is bought in 6 or 12 bottle lots. Why 5? Just curious....

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Scott - in the past, you've helped out some of us in the states not listed. Can I make a call later and work out a shipment?

Wootleg! Unfortunately, it probably can't get here by next weekend.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Quoting CT...
"Drinking window: Drink by 2022"

That's NOT going to be a problem

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I don't recall Barbera in the blend before? Is this new?

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
rpm wrote:Properly made (and Scott is very talented with Zinfandel), Zinfandel is capable of aging up to 30-40 years. Most Zinfandel is not made to age, and even Zins rigged to age are charming in their youth, so you don't have to age Zinfandel the way you do have to age Cabernet.

This is an autobuy. Scott's wines are always worthwhile. Note for those who are very fond of Scott's slightly sweeter Zins: this is a very dry wine, not with a hint of sweetness.

This is much more a food wine and one to enjoy both now and in a few years.

Agree with you RPM! The thought of all sources being old vines and Scott working his magic makes this a "Break My SIWBM". Thanks Scott & Jana. Now the decision - one or two?????

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

I'm down to my last 2009 SH Old Vine Zin, and I have a magnum of this in the cellar, but this offer is still very tempting! I'm curious to hear how how this compares/contrasts with the 2009.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Question for Scott - Does the weather have more impact on average established vines or 80+ year vines? I felt guilty for missing your dinner party in Wooster last year, but hopefully one of these years the stars and schedule will align! Thanks for bringing great wine here to us Wooters

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Of all the WW fan favorite producers, Scott still brings us the deals. This is a fantastic price on a terrific wine. A true example of an autobuy !

BlackDrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BlackDrez

Not much room in the "cellar" these days but did a quick quick check and we've not much on hand in the Zin category. The comments make this look like a good choice for topping up our stock so I'm in.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

So how this compares to the Jana old vine Zin?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
boatman72 wrote:Agree with you RPM! The thought of all sources being old vines and Scott working his magic makes this a "Break My SIWBM". Thanks Scott & Jana. Now the decision - one or two?????

What's wrong with THREE?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I'm in!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:See, that's why you do what I do...kvetch about it and then take a couple of bottles from somebody local at a later date. Kyle? tyger?

Got a half case of this at Scotts' earlier for $21; yup, in for more at $16.
WD and Scott do it again. Stock up on these.
Klez, not quite local, but two for you.

CT

samwfoster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samwfoster

in for Two to Texas. woot

edoursler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edoursler

Thanks rpm. Is there a rule of thumb about age worthiness of sweet wine versus dry wine? Can you compare/contrast this wine to Scott's InZINerator (I like) ? In for one.

plittgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plittgirl

Hey, what's with leaving Maryland off the ship list? I've been getting Woot Wine for the last year and I'd love to try this Zin-drank all the Poizin we ordered in the fall.
PLEASE check and see why you're noit shipping to MD.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

I didn't see it linked above but I believe this was offered Aug 23 in larger format. There's some limited discussion there.

I say I believe as the wine got delivered to my work and then went mysteriously missing - I guess one of my coworkers is also enjoying Scott's products

So - I'm happy to see this offering and definitely in for a set!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
trifecta wrote:Scott - Can you please compare/contrast this vintage to the 2009? I am pretty sure I'm in on this. SIWBM is really taking a hit.... Harvest Moon, now this

Hi Everyone,
Great to be back with one of my favorite wines. This 2010 is similar in structure and style to the 2009. The wine is younger and fresher, a little brighter and more complex due to the other vineyards mixed in. The Vineyard 1869 adds a little coffee while the Fiddletown adds bright cherry and tar and the Napa Zin adds some refinement.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
plittgirl wrote:Hey, what's with leaving Maryland off the ship list? I've been getting Woot Wine for the last year and I'd love to try this Zin-drank all the Poizin we ordered in the fall.
PLEASE check and see why you're noit shipping to MD.

As noted above and always by Cesar -
"Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed."

ScottHarveyWines

edoursler wrote:Is the CT drinking window of 12 years correct? Does Zinfandel usually age that long?

Yes, 12 years is correct. If made in the "Old World" style at ph levels below 3.6pH the wine will age well.

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

My wife and I are becoming bigger fans of Scott Harvey with each order.
And we seldom agree on many other things. In for 2.

Hijack- seems like Poizin is back (2011) on wootwine plus. We really enjoyed Poizin 2006 and 2007 -- any Poizin drinkers who will comment/contrast on later years'? I found no place to question or comment on the current offer page.
Private comments also welcome. Thanks.

ScottHarveyWines

MichaelWB wrote:How does this offer compare to say a bottle of 2007 1869 Scott Harvey.

Just finished off the last bottle of that over the holidays. Amazing juice. Very tempted to jump on this!

The 2007 Vineyard 1869 is a leaner and more angular wine depicting the wonderful characteristics of Vineyard 1869. This wine has some of that with 22% of it being Vineyard 1869, but also has other things going on due to the other wines blended in. These other vineyards have married together to give you a Zinfandel that is less angular and more round in character and style.

ScottHarveyWines

polarbear22 wrote:Scott - in the past, you've helped out some of us in the states not listed. Can I make a call later and work out a shipment?

Sure, call the winery at 707 968-9575 and ask for Carla. I'll be out in the winery today working on an upcoming Syrah bottling and Jana is working the market in San Francisco. But, Carla, our office manager will be here.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi Everyone,
Great to be back with one of my favorite wines. This 2010 is similar in structure and style to the 2009. The wine is younger and fresher, a little brighter and more complex due to the other vineyards mixed in. The Vineyard 1869 adds a little coffee while the Fiddletown adds bright cherry and tar and the Napa Zin adds some refinement.

Morning Scott! Just wanted to give a big Wootnation hello to you!
Can you give our citizens a brief overview of the 2012 vintage?

ScottHarveyWines

mdctreeguy wrote:Typically wine is bought in 6 or 12 bottle lots. Why 5? Just curious....

It is 5 bottles so that we can get to the best price out there for the woot buyers. We like to give woot our best deal. We have so much fun with the woot community.