quality posts: 1587 Private Messages Cesare

Mirage 2009 "No Bad Fizzy Cab" 12-Pack
$89.99 (Normally $277.30) 68% off List Price
2009 Mirage Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Monterey County
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Interesting, a fizzy Cab. I have no need for a case, but if anyone in Albuquerque wants to get rid of a few bottles, let me know.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

I don't think I've ever worked so hard trying to figure out what is going on in a bottle of wine as with this one. My real education began in July on the two rpm tours, and this has only extended it.

Recently given the opportunity to pull a cork on a bottle of 2009 Mirage Reserve CS, the first thing I couldn't help but notice was fizz, lots of fizz; in a cab. Also noticed the cork was surprisingly soft and came out quite easily, but no signs of seepage. Humm, not what I'd normally expect, but I've read comments on earlier Woot! cab offerings where this fizz was also reported, and can confirm, having pulled a cork on that one too, but this really seems excessive.

Day one: fizzy, I knew this, now deal with it. Decanted 1/2 into a 375ml and capped with Argon and back into the chiller. Poured a good sized taste, recorked the 750, no Ar, and back to the chiller with it too.

Funk, plenty of that, perhaps too much; so the glass will set awhile to see if it blows off. A couple hours later, less funk, less fizz, but both still right there. Can't get much nose beyond the barnyard, perhaps some muted fruit. Gave it a taste and and got a sharp bite on the tongue. Seems like a mix of something acidic and tannic, both at the same time, and that funk, just hanging around for a long time.

Day two: left the 375 alone and returned to the 750. Went to pull the cork and it nearly ejected itself! Fine. ICFT. Venturi time; into a carafe, back into the bottle, back to the carafe, back to the bottle. Cork and shake the bottle. Wow, an inch of foam. Back to the carafe to let it settle down for a few hours.

Fizz gone!

Funk diminished, but remains. Taste profile pretty much the same.
What would cause this…?
Here is where my education continued, at least four hours of research and some possibilities emerge.

Day three: I dug a cousin bottle out of the cellar for comparison and pour three glasses; some 750, some 375 and the 2009 cousin. Just the slightest hint of fizz in the cousin, but also a bit of that barnyard, way in the background. Still right out there on the Mirage, diminished on the 750 and unchanged with the 375 that was still fizzing right along. Recorked the 750, the 375 and cousin with Ar and back to the chiller. The Mirage still funk on the nose, sharp on the tongue, not much fruit and that long strange tannic finish. Cousin was doing well.

Day four: today, looking to confirm what I think I may have learned in my research.
The 750 had calmed down a bit more, and to some may be considered passable, not so with the still fizzy 375. That Argon really does work!

My conclusion: flawed bottle, at least the one I was working with, exhibiting what seems, to me, to be a textbook example of a Brettanomyces-infected wine. Mind you I could be totally wrong, and invite opinions.

I really want to like this, it's a cab, and affordable cab at that, but more importantly I really wanted to understand as best I could what was going on that made this so unique in wines I've encountered. In that I believe I succeeded.

While Brett, a yeast, in excess, is considered a flaw, at low concentrations it seems to be accepted and at times even encouraged. My research seemed to confirm what I was tasting; excessive barnyard, diminished fruit, acidic or metallic taste that, for me, just made this an unbalanced bottle. From my reading, brett forms most easily in higher pH (lower acid) wines that may have been more highly extracted as is now so common, add a bit of RS, and MLF, and the yeast produces CO2 as it develops, that fizz. The infection can easily be picked up while aging in wood, but also just from contaminated equipment. It may not be detectable at bottling, but as it is slow growing it can take time to fully develop to easily detectable levels, and storage at ~20C is ideal. This would explain why earlier CT notes of made no mention of this being at all bretty; hadn't yet had time to flourish in a warehouse.

Likely I'm just overly sensitive and YMMV, but for me this bottle was initially excessive, but it did evolve with help, perhaps for others, and more importantly other bottles that may vary considerably, it's not so much an issue. Google some combination of "wine, brett, taste, flaw" and you'll get a wealth of information with which to make your own decision.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

Ron, great report!
What were your comparison bottles? You mentioned a cousin - so you mean a different vintage, same region, different winery? This sounds like an interesting experience!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

gmwhit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gmwhit

@rjquillin - So appreciate your long, detailed report on this cab!

The "fizz" puzzled me. I do like cabs. Yet, your 'barnyard' & 'funk' comments, clarified something for my addled brain. Thanks!

I like fizz in sparkling water, some wines.

Sadly, this doesn't seem like a match for me.

Again, thank you!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

How many bottles/cases produced?
No link to winery?

A bit light on information on this one.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Appears to be a defective but not undrinkable wine. Gotta pass on this one. To bad...the price is right.

rjquillin

gmwhit wrote:@rjquillin - So appreciate your long, detailed report on this cab!

The "fizz" puzzled me. I do like cabs. Yet, your 'barnyard' & 'funk' comments, clarified something for my addled brain. Thanks!

I like fizz in sparkling water, some wines.

Sadly, this doesn't seem like a match for me.

Again, thank you!

If my conclusion, for my bottle, of brett is correct, perhaps. But google some of keywords, many seem to really like a bretty bottle, if not in excess. One article I found mentioned a threshold of a couple hundred micro-organisms per some quantity, and cited a very highly respected French, iirc, wine that lab tested in excess of 3000/quantity. Phew! In mild quantities, now that I think I know what it smells/tastes like, I can recall bottles with this exact characteristic, in moderation, I've greatly enjoyed. It really does seem to be driven by personal tastes. Others find this just fine after a few hours decant...

CT

Dave124

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dave124

First and foremost, I have never consumed this wine so my opinions are limited to my experiences.

These bottles were never intended to be fizzy. Fizzy red wine is a defect. Secondary fermentation is caused when the yeast isn't filtered out or killed prior to bottling. This is how Champagne or Sparkling wine is made but guess what... You use a different cork for champagne. This is for a reason. Fizzy red wine could push out the cork if the fizz is bad enough.

It is possible some CO2 got trapped in the wine but I have not seen it in large production like this. Fermentation in the bottle is the most likely explanation.

Have fun with this stuff. Not sure if Woot can even move this stuff.

andreaserben

What makes me wonder - the CT link does not mention any 'fizzyness' in the only review with tasting notes.
So - Has this been bottled like this intentionally? Are all bottles of this vintage year the same in terms of fizzyness? Are only some affected / are they affected to a different degree?

Full disclosure please from the winemaker (including how much produced and potentially how many are 'fizzy' if not all of them are fizzy).

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
Dave124 wrote:These bottles were never intended to be fizzy. Fizzy red wine is a defect. Secondary fermentation is caused when the yeast isn't filtered out or killed prior to bottling.

Spot on. This is labeled as a 'Reserve Cabernet' and there is a snowball's chance in Hades effervescence was the intent.

A very weird offer. I suppose it's better they tell you the wine is off up front. But why even offer it? For this price there is sound grocery store one can buy rather than an unexpected science experiment.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Ron that was an AWESOME review and very educational. Thank you for all that you did. I strive to learn more about things that I do not know.

My wife would be intrigued by this sort of wine. She is a chemical engineer by degree and a developmental engineer by profession, so she would love it even more than I would (well maybe in the studying of it, but not the drinking of it)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote:Ron that was an AWESOME review and very educational. Thank you for all that you did. I strive to learn more about things that I do not know.

I totally blame rpm!

Klez, pm..

CT

andreaserben

I did some digging.. following the UPC code from CT, the producer is NOT mirage, but Sextant Wines:
http://vehrsinc.com/images/index_64_4233782424.pdf
Sold there for
005876 Mirage Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 750 ML 12 167.88 13.99 151.08 12.59 894078003007

Only mention on http://Sextantwines.com is from an event where they served it with the dessert
http://www.sextantwines.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&eventid=5021376b-e353-c479-e20d-2382082fe46e&pageid=b90d21ff-1cc4-81ae-7511-5c32d0054883

More places where it is/was sold.
http://www.wineuptv.com/winestore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=28305
Price: $18.19

http://www.firkee.com/wine.1001/sextant-cabernet-sauvignon-mirage-2009-750ml.detail-341512.htm
$16.94

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/sextant+cab+sauv+mirage/2009

No review I found mentioned fizzyness yet (including the CT review)
http://underthegrapetree.com/?p=3986
March 30, 2012 – 5:06 pm

"Mirage Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Monterey County 2009. Grade=Outstanding. This baby is just that, a baby. Very immature but promising red, tight on the grip and timid in its display of red and black fruits, mint, mocha, cedar and vanillin oak. This needs some time to develop. It promises great things."

Different Cab (90% Cab, this one is 78% Cab) from the same year from the same winery.
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-2009-central-coast-cabernet-sauvignon-6-pack

Still don't know what to make of it...

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3
andreaserben wrote:
Different Cab (90% Cab, this one is 78% Cab) from the same year from the same winery.
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-2009-central-coast-cabernet-sauvignon-6-pack

Still don't know what to make of it...

Fizzy cab made me think of that exact ww offering. It was fizzy. I tried it, wasn't a fan. I don't know how that compares to this exactly, like you say 90% vs 78% etc.

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4714187&pageindex=3&replycount=116#post4791582

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

One of Santa's elves dropped a bottle of this off at my place and cautioned me about the fizziness.

Never one to back down from a challenge, I initially scoffed and said "Ha! They do that shizzit on purpose here in Ohio!".

I opened the bottle planning to decant for awhile but got busy with dinner and gift wrapping (darn elves always run off when you need them most!). So the wine bottle sat out on the counter, opened, for 3-4 hours before I decided that it was getting late and I would drink it the following day. I figured that I would recork the wine, then open it back up in the morning to let it breathe some more in an effort to blow off the effervescence.

I recapped the wine with a Rabbit wine stopper thinking that it might be a bad idea to use the Vacu-Vin because of the aforementioned fizziness. I put it in my refrigerator to lay down overnight.

When I awoke on Christmas morning, the first thing on my mind (like every other morning) was coffee. I brewed a pot and as I sat drinking the first cup, I remembered the wine and went to take it out of the fridge in order to give it some more air time.

I opened the refrigerator door, and..... discovered a crime scene! Blood spatter everywhere, with pools of it in my meat and vegetable crispers and high-velocity spray patterns on my wine, condiment bottles and sparse food selection. Someone must have killed the elf, right inside my fridge!

These were not the tidings of comfort and joy that I had expected. Upon further inspection, I realized that it wasn't blood spatter at all. No, it was wine and lots of it. Approximately 400ml to be exact. I searched the bottom shelves for the wine stopper to no avail and then I found it in the door tray across the fridge from where the bottle of Mirage was stored.

It must have shot out of the bottle with the force of a human shake-weight opening a bottle of Iron Horse on New Year's eve. I'm surprised there wasn't a dent in the refrigerator door.

I salvaged a little less than half the bottle and happen to be drinking it right now. Unfortunately, my crime scene photographer had Christmas day off so I do not have visual evidence to share but I do have some tasting notes.

The color is a deep magenta, almost purple. On the nose; some dark fruits, a little oak and some of the barnyard funk that rjquillin mentioned.

On the palate, the fruit is a little brighter. Cherries and raspberries but still with notes of darker fruit such as plum and blackberry. Mild oak and medium tannins on the longish finish. It's actually pretty tasty at this point. I cannot say how it tasted before the effervescence exploded itself out of the bottle.

As I reflect on my oenophilic adventure, it occurs to me that Mirage is a somewhat fitting name for this wine although "Cabernet Carnage" might be a good alternative.

Now, what to do with the wine saturated towel that is still laying in the bottom of my refrigerator? I could do something boring like stick it in the washing machine.... or I could go all GONZO and put the towel on the floorboard of my car and get drunk off the fumes as I drive around tomorrow returning unwanted gifts.

Just kidding. About the gifts.

andreaserben

So for the poorer souls of us who do not have a proper wine cellar - in a warm summer the bottle will explode or something?

I do not mind if they are selling a wine with a defect, if they are upfront with it - but if they would be doing that, scheduling it on a holiday day where the winemaker's staff does not seem to be available to comment on this thread as the deal is posted is a pretty bad decision and ultimately could lead to harming the winemaker's reputation if they cannot clarify a few things.

The fact that the Cabs completely disappeared from Sextant's website and the fact that earlier reviews did not mentioning anything about fizzyness sounds like it was not intended to be like that and it is indeed a defect they are now trying to 'remarket' almost like a novelty.

chipgreen

The key to taming the beast is to understand the beast. My level of understanding was obviously lacking.

I doubt that it will explode on you unless you're stupid about the way you handle it. Like me.

Don't remove the capsule/cork and then put a stopper in it without a proper decant and/or aeration and/or pouring out some of the wine!

As for the winemaker being upfront about it, how much more upfront can you be than to call it a "Fizzy Cab"? Clearly we are being offered a flawed (yet delicious) wine at an extreme discount.

The winemaker does not want to sully their reputation by selling it on the open market and having worked with wine.woot in the past, they decided to salvage what they can from their remaining inventory by offering a screaming deal on a wine that drinks well above its price point but requires special handling.

It is what it is. Take it or leave it. Sincerely, Cliches 'R' Us.

andreaserben

chipgreen wrote:As for the winemaker being upfront about it, how much more upfront can you be than to call it a "Fizzy Cab"? Clearly we are being offered a flawed (yet delicious) wine at an extreme discount.

I mostly agree with you.
However, I disagree with the winemaker being completely upfront... since
a) they are not even mentioned by name (at the time of posting this),
b) this offer made it sound like the wine was supposed to be fizzy which it likely is not based on the initial tasting notes and previous marketing - and not everybody is well versed enough to get that difference and recognizes it as flawed.

I bought flawed wine before (sometimes just the label being damaged) - but there it was clearly marked that way and not remarketed.

A flaw in my humble opinion is not a feature.

I would rather have read 'oopsie bubbly but yummy' in the title marking it as an unintended flaw as the language they market it with now sounds almost like they wanted to create an almost sparkling, fizzy experience from the get-go.

chipgreen

andreaserben wrote:A flaw in my humble opinion is not a feature.

It works for Microsoft!

In all seriousness though, I was told upfront that this was a flawed bottle. Perhaps I haven't read the description provided by Woot closely enough to determine if it should be readily apparent to others.

andreaserben

chipgreen wrote:It works for Microsoft!

In all seriousness though, I was told upfront that this was a flawed bottle. Perhaps I haven't read the description provided by Woot closely enough to determine if it should be readily apparent to others.

lol - Microsoft has changed quite a bit fortunately though.

To me at least it read as if the wine tries to be fizzy.

The CT tasting notes for their 'regular' 2009 Cab:
http://www.cellartracker.com/notes.asp?iWine=1221932
also mention fizzyness.
So, both Cab blends were not co-fermented most likely and the Cab is what had remaining active yeast/sugar most likely since it would be too much of a coincidence otherwise, I think.

inthegroove

quality posts: 3 Private Messages inthegroove

Sparkling Shiraz is a traditional Christmas beverage in Australia, where it is summertime. It is a wonderfully refreshing bevvy; I was turned on to it about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Hard to find here in the U.S., but a couple of brands are available, including Shingleback. Don't know about this stuff, but I now replace champagne with sparkling Shiraz for festive occasions, as I don't really like champagne or white wines.

inthegroove

andreaserben

rjquillin wrote: My research seemed to confirm what I was tasting; excessive barnyard, diminished fruit, acidic or metallic taste that, for me, just made this an unbalanced bottle.

Did somehow skip this sentence when reading your post earlier - specifically, since I believe you did not mention it with the initial description in your post - how strong was the metallic taste? I really dislike metallic tastes usually, so this would be a major 'no-go' for me.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
andreaserben wrote:What makes me wonder - the CT link does not mention any 'fizzyness' in the only review with tasting notes.
So - Has this been bottled like this intentionally? Are all bottles of this vintage year the same in terms of fizzyness? Are only some affected / are they affected to a different degree?

Full disclosure please from the winemaker (including how much produced and potentially how many are 'fizzy' if not all of them are fizzy).

This is true if it is a sparkling wine, but I somehow think that the use of fizzy is intentional. Which to me means that it wasn't properly degassed during racking to bulk ageing. CO2 can taint the flavor of wine over time (though during primary fermentation, the gas actually prevents oxidation). Whether intentional or not, it's a bit odd. Even at this price point, I have trouble pulling the trigger.

That said, I have red fruit wines that weren't properly degassed that taste great, so if you're in for the risk, it could be quite good.

rjquillin

andreaserben wrote:Did somehow skip this sentence when reading your post earlier - specifically, since I believe you did not mention it with the initial description in your post - how strong was the metallic taste? I really dislike metallic tastes usually, so this would be a major 'no-go' for me.
rjquillin wrote:My research seemed to confirm what I was tasting; excessive barnyard, diminished fruit, acidic or metallic taste that, for me, just made this an unbalanced bottle.

It appears I was unclear. I was not noticing a metallic taste, but citing some characteristics that may be found in a bretty wine. I did experience some tastes/aromas I don't have the vocabulary to properly identify however; still learning here.

With extended aeration, this did improve, dramatically, but, for me, the profile associated with brett, remained dominate.

Was this supposed to be a fizzy? Highly unlikely. Read under Features; clearly we are told this is fizzy due to secondary fermentation. What is being hidden? Little.

I was most curious on how and why this cab became fizzy, and failed to focus on other attributes and taste profiles present, leaving that to others more qualified with more experience and a better vocabulary.

For me this was research, and it was my conclusion the yeast Brettanomyces bruxellensis was responsible for the fizzy and tastes I noted not commonly found
in excess in most of the cab with which I am familiar.

From one article:

"In some wine growing regions such as Bordeaux, the Rhone and, dare I say it, the Hunter Valley, it is now acknowledged that some wine producers have developed 'house styles' over time that have actually been defined by some form of Brett character."
So it is out there, and it is accepted, in moderation.

greyday wrote:Which to me means that it wasn't properly degassed during racking to bulk ageing. CO2 can taint the flavor of wine over time (though during primary fermentation, the gas actually prevents oxidation). Whether intentional or not, it's a bit odd.

Another piece I found suggested racking can initially suppress some characteristics of brett, but actually increases it's potential to later flourish, especially when stored in less than optimal conditions for extended time. Those initial CT reports were just too early and the concentrations were likely too low, given nearly a year they had flourished, produced CO2 and what we have here; an unintentionally fizzy cab that will please some, but not others.

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

As the description of this wine here on Woot states:

*Secondary fermentation occurs when traces of sugar and yeast are left in the wine after bottling.The wine develops a little bit of spritz or tiny bubbles.

This is a serious flaw, surprised this is even being offered.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
kaolis wrote:As the description of this wine here on Woot states:

*Secondary fermentation occurs when traces of sugar and yeast are left in the wine after bottling.The wine develops a little bit of spritz or tiny bubbles.

This is a serious flaw, surprised this is even being offered.

It's not a "serious flaw"; if intended. There are many wines (both cheap or expensive, red, rose, and white) that get fizz through secondary fermentation. It is the only way traditional-method, Champagne is produced. In that case, the remains are removed from the bottle before final corking.

The discussion seems to be whether or not the secondary fermentation is intentional or not with this wine.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

I received a bottle of this wine and was told up front that it had secondary fermentation. When I popped the cork, it was somewhat like popping a bottle of sparkling wine. Upon PnP, there were no fruit flavors, but the bubbles were evident. I poured it into a decanter and let it sit for two hours. No scientific formula here, as I was with friends and we forgot about it. By now though, the fizz was gone and what was left was a very nice cab. Some cherry and plum, with a little vanilla. Of the six who tried it, we all liked it. At $90 a case, this is a good deal. Perfect for an everyday drinker that drinks well above its price. BUT...keep in mind you need to decant it for a couple of hours before drinking. Then, there is nothing wrong with this wine.

kaolis

jaimelobo wrote:It's not a "serious flaw"; if intended. There are many wines (both cheap or expensive, red, rose, and white) that get fizz through secondary fermentation. It is the only way traditional-method, Champagne is produced. In that case, the remains are removed from the bottle before final corking.

The discussion seems to be whether or not the secondary fermentation is intentional or not with this wine.

I understand that. I have no inside information, but trust me, this wine was NOT intended to be "fizzy".

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Fizzy Cab???, what the heck got an empty 100 bottle rack and at the price got to give it a try.
Bummer my Birthday is tomorrow, a non wine Thursday. No wine surprise like a few yrs back when Rockus Bockus was offered on my Birthday.

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900

Hey, I like a little bit of Brett, but Fizzzz in a red?

klezman

kaolis wrote:I understand that. I have no inside information, but trust me, this wine was NOT intended to be "fizzy".

Not sure why this matters. Whether intended or not, the wine *is* fizzy. Discussion of whether it's Brett or Saccharomyces as the source (and associated flavours) is helpful but beyond that it should only be a matter of whether the wine sounds good to you at this price point.

For me, I'd love to try a bottle or two. I've never tasted a Bretty wine (although I believe I have had Brett-laced beer) and I'd like to compare this with the only other bottle I've had of in-bottle (likely unintended) secondary fermentation red - a Baco Noir from Niagara. No way I can go in for a case, though, having bought too much wine this year (50% more than I drank...I don't want to turn into Sparky...).

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie

Without commenting on this particular wine (which I am on the fence on buying) I find it interesting that Wine.woot is still game enough to offer something like this. Interesting because the regular Christmas Woot generated over 1000 post lamenting the fact that Woot had lost the "old timer character" since Amazon bought it. This shows me the spirit is still alive at Wine Woot which is why 95 percent of my Woot purchases this year were wine. That and I like to drink a lot.

kaolis

klezman wrote:Not sure why this matters. Whether intended or not, the wine *is* fizzy. Discussion of whether it's Brett or Saccharomyces as the source (and associated flavours) is helpful but beyond that it should only be a matter of whether the wine sounds good to you at this price point.

For me, I'd love to try a bottle or two. I've never tasted a Bretty wine (although I believe I have had Brett-laced beer) and I'd like to compare this with the only other bottle I've had of in-bottle (likely unintended) secondary fermentation red - a Baco Noir from Niagara. No way I can go in for a case, though, having bought too much wine this year (50% more than I drank...I don't want to turn into Sparky...).

It does not matter. But the post I was replying to stated the discussion was if the wine was intended to be effervescent or not. It was clearly not intended to be effervescent, and that's all I was saying.

Cheers!

klezman

gtcharlie wrote:Without commenting on this particular wine (which I am on the fence on buying) I find it interesting that Wine.woot is still game enough to offer something like this. Interesting because the regular Christmas Woot generated over 1000 post lamenting the fact that Woot had lost the "old timer character" since Amazon bought it. This shows me the spirit is still alive at Wine Woot which is why 95 percent of my Woot purchases this year were wine. That and I like to drink a lot.

You make an excellent point. I'm also a huge fan of WD and co having the chutzpah to offer something like this. It's actually rather frustrating to have people kvetching all the time about wanting plain old wine rather than the interesting and quirky selections that WD has introduced us all to. Not many of us would have heard of Corison, Wellington, Scott Harvey, or Ty Caton without WD.

klezman

kaolis wrote:It does not matter. But the post I was replying to stated the discussion was if the wine was intended to be effervescent or not. It was clearly not intended to be effervescent, and that's all I was saying.

Cheers!

Fair
I was just hoping the discussion wouldn't devolve into the winemaker's intention rather than the merits of the wine. It was easier to find the last post in that thread rather than the first. FWIW, I agree it was not intended.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Would be interested in taking a bottle or two, but can't really hold a whole case of this. Appreciate the lengthy, thought-out rattages above though!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

This is the type of offer that I would love to see offered in smaller quantities. I just hate that every lower dollar per/bottle offering requires a full-case purchase anymore. I understand that sometimes that is why we can get the lower price, but in an offering like this (and most other lower $ offerings, I would pay an extra buck a bottle for the option to just buy 3 or 4 bottles. This is currently $7.90 per bottle, shipped. I would love an option to get 4 bottles for $35 shipped. (just under $9 per bottle).

This sounds like a good wine if you have the patience to decant for 2+ hours (which wouldn't be a problem for me). Unfortunately a case, or even half case, is out of the question for storage reasons.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Sounds terrible. Stella Rosa with low RS. No thanks.

"The older I get the better I was"