Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

True Fabrications Big Bordeaux Wine Glass
$29.99 (Normally $39.99) 25% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Perfect for all the 3L bottles you guys just bought. Makes them into a 2 glass bottle.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Just received mine. Seems pretty sturdy and was well packaged so no shipping damage.

The top rim of the glass is flat, not rounded. This leaves a fairly sharp inner and outer edge which seems like it could chip easily (although that's just specualtion on my part). For those of you who got the True Fabrications decanter, it's got the same edge finish.

It would probably not be a good idea to try to actually drink from this glass and that's not its intended purpose anyway.

I did notice a slight imperfection (air bubble) in the glass a few inches down from the rim, but it's really small and hey this isn't a piece of art, it's a novelty item!

8/10 on the initial satisfaction meter = recommended.

jpw5904

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jpw5904

So, is this Big Joe or Big Carl?

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:Perfect for all the 3L bottles you guys just bought. Makes them into a 2 glass bottle.

LOL, good call.

One of the reasons I got this glass was because I thought it would look sweet next to the 3L Jana Cathedral but it actually looks too big, proportionally. Would need a 6L for it to be scaled to a more life-size ratio.

darynmckay

quality posts: 3 Private Messages darynmckay

It's called the "Big Bordeaux Wine Glass" but is it actually made of glass?

chipgreen

darynmckay wrote:It's called the "Big Bordeaux Wine Glass" but is it actually made of glass?

yes

timothyc273

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timothyc273

A giant glass? Really, winewoot? Really?

... I suppose you have sold stranger things.

joshmonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages joshmonkey
...a 2 glass bottle.

chipgreen wrote:LOL, good call.

One of the reasons I got this glass was because I thought it would look sweet next to the 3L Jana Cathedral but it actually looks too big, proportionally. Would need a 6L for it to be scaled to a more life-size ratio.

A 2 bottle glass, perhaps?

rainydz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

I'd be in if it was made to drink from. I'd love to have a "big Joe." Cougar Town reference for anyone who doesn't know.

dieburnbot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dieburnbot

I wish they had an image of the glass standing next to something so we could visualize how large this is.

chipgreen

joshmonkey wrote:A 2 bottle glass, perhaps?

Indeed, as it is 1.5 gallons, not litres!

chipgreen

dieburnbot wrote:I wish they had an image of the glass standing next to something so we could visualize how large this is.

It's 20" high. It actually stands slightly above the top of my 3L Jana Cathedral but slightly below the top of a 3L Moon Mountain Cab, due to different bottle types.

chipgreen

rainydz wrote:I'd be in if it was made to drink from. I'd love to have a "big Joe." Cougar Town reference for anyone who doesn't know.

If you were very careful you could probably drink from it, but the state of mind that most people would be in at the time they decide that it's a good idea to do so would make that level of care unlikely. If cut lips and chipped teeth are your thing, then drink up!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I agree with Chipgreen's sentiments. Despite the potential for chips (I really only see this happening if you use this to chill a bottle of wine, which is one of the suggested uses) this thing is still pretty sweet. It is very sturdy, moreso than I expected it to be. They do generally have minor imperfections (mine has two air bubbles in the stem, which actually add to the look), but those are due to these being hand-blown.

I bought this as a place to store my corks, but when the time comes, may use it as a decenter for my 3L bottle, though pouring from this to another glass could be a challenge.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

wootatoottoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatoottoot

How about some really decent plonk on wine woot...its been a little while imho. I'm not a wine snob or even a buff but, and perhaps its just me, but the last couple of months have not had me pressing 'the big button' so my reserves are getting low...I know I should of bought more before but I have a budget and this is the blongest dry spell for me on Woot. Here's hoping for a great new year for new world wines!

chipgreen

Fitting that this should be offered on National Sangria Day.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
chipgreen wrote:Indeed, as it is 1.5 gallons, not litres!

Whoops misread that. Apparently so did the mods b/c I got a Dreidel for it.

CT

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

I ordered this during Gift Week, and I'd love to tell you all about it...but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. If it doesn't get unstuck from USPS limbo in the next couple of days, I'm going to look bad at the family Christmas Eve extravaganza.

After years of Wooting without trouble, I now hate Smartpost.

mikosj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikosj

picked up one of these at target last night for $24.99. not sold online, but appears to be the same.

http://www.target.com/p/oversized-wine-glass-cork-holder-wine-enthusiast/-/A-14215117#prodSlot=medium_1_12&term=wine enthusiast

victoriadesrosiers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages victoriadesrosiers

Are there suggested-use photos or instructions inside or on the box? I am sending this to someone whose first language is French. I am hoping that he gets the kitschy idea.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
victoriadesrosiers wrote:Are there suggested-use photos or instructions inside or on the box? I am sending this to someone whose first language is French. I am hoping that he gets the kitschy idea.

Yes, there is a picture in the glass and a tag attached which shows the ideas.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

redredwine67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages redredwine67
rainydz wrote:I'd be in if it was made to drink from. I'd love to have a "big Joe." Cougar Town reference for anyone who doesn't know.

I'd go with "Big Hoss" Bonanza reference for us oldtimers

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Infernal Thursdays...no wine.

davidmalcohen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmalcohen

Target had it same price BUT NO SHIPPING. (IN STORE)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

davidmalcohen wrote:Target had it same price BUT NO SHIPPING. (IN STORE)

But that one's only 3" tall:

6.25 " W x 6.25 " D x 3.06 " H

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

skadus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skadus

I've only ever seen these used as decorations by couples, with all the corks in them.

Public opinion question: if you were to visit a single guy and he had one of these out with the corks in it would you think highly or not-so-highly of him? :p

ElizardbethWoots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ElizardbethWoots
skadus wrote:I've only ever seen these used as decorations by couples, with all the corks in them.

Public opinion question: if you were to visit a single guy and he had one of these out with the corks in it would you think highly or not-so-highly of him? :p

I don't know if I would be impressed by a glass of corks, but it would be better than a glass full of bottle caps or condoms or..... really any number of things....

Rombolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rombolio

Hate to do this to Woot and all, but Target has it cheaper, I've seen plenty on the shelves even. (And they are MUCH bigger than 3" lol, someone was drinking while setting up the Target website.)

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=wine+glass+cork&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Texas actually has excellent wines and many who appreciate good wines.

And it's against the law to put beans in chili in Texas, as it should be. If you want beans, just eat a can of beans, but don't screw up perfectly good chili with them!!!

MadDogOfGilead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MadDogOfGilead
ThunderThighs wrote:But that one's only 3" tall:

6.25 " W x 6.25 " D x 3.06 " H

Yea, I was looking at that, but the photo is clearly larger than 3". Besides, it certainly is taller than it is wide or deep so the stats listed are definitely off.

tcanning

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tcanning

Considering 1.5 gallons equals 5,678 ml, this baby can hold 7.5 bottles of wine.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559
tcanning wrote:Considering 1.5 gallons equals 5,678 ml, this baby can hold 7.5 bottles of wine.

Redefining "single serving".

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

I bought mine at lakeside collection and it's now on for 14.95 + shipping there. It's definately a novelty. Has the flat sharp edges others talked of but it was fun when we arrived at the wine tasting party last month with it.

http://www.lakeside.com/For-the-Home/Decorative-Accents/Decorative%2BAccents/Jumbo-Wine-Glass/prod120480.jmp?navAction=jump&fm=search

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Here's a quickly-thrown-together scale photo... (L to R) 375, 750, 1.5 and Big Bordeaux Glass.... Now all I need is a Big Curly Straw...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

gmat2z

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmat2z

we all seem to be missing the serious error in the description. texans know how its done and beans do not belong in chili.

Just Me

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
ElizardbethWoots wrote:I don't know if I would be impressed by a glass of corks, but it would be better than a glass full of bottle caps or condoms or..... really any number of things....

Depends on the brand of condoms.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Cardiologists do recommend one glass of red wine a day for a better heart. (apply laugh track here)

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
funbunny wrote:Cardiologists do recommend one glass of red wine a day for a better heart. (apply laugh track here)

So what you're say is, I could tell SO, "I'm only having one glass of wine a day." I think you're on to something there. Way back when...Dean Martin, on his TV show, used to have only one (very large) glass of ____ .