12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Chateau Epernay Corkscrew (5 Options)
$21.99 (Normally $49.00) 55% off List Price
Available in Mahogany, Bamboo, True Bone (bovine), Rosewood, or exotic Ebony Wood

Website

Previous offer:
4/19/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

It's Thursday. Where's the foodie stuff?

CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Cheese over at pop.woot
Salted Caramel over at home.woot

Sad non-wine Thursday here at wine.woot

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

rjquillin

I did get the true bone last time this was up. It's now my go-to opener. Never had a double hinged before and it's great.
[edit] Just looked, that's 13 woot! pages ago...
And this one is $3 less.

CT

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I got my double hinged wood corkscrew on Amazon for $12 shipped and its my favorite corkscrew. Looks exactly the same as the one here too....

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Are the chocolates on home.woot the ones you guys always rave about?

Itwdswafo

loveladyelectric wrote:Are the chocolates on home.woot the ones you guys always rave about?

Yes

rjquillin

loveladyelectric wrote:Are the chocolates on home.woot the ones you guys always rave about?

Yup, just picked 'em up again. Third time now iirc.

CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
Itwdswafo wrote:I got my double hinged wood corkscrew on Amazon for $12 shipped and its my favorite corkscrew. Looks exactly the same as the one here too....

Happen to have a link?

So far this week I have spent a small fortune on woot, but I think this will be the last for me (with the exception of a few items on WW.) I have found 8 items I was considering buying that were the same or cheaper from Amazon, or the source/winery, in just the past 3 or 4 days.

Woot has lost it's desire to offer good to great prices and is settling for decent to awful. And it's not just WW. At least on WW, the shipping and tax can usually make a real difference. Not so on the other sites. I bought one item that I didn't learn until a couple of days later I could have bought from Amazon for $4 cheaper and had it delivered in 2 days, verse a couple of weeks from woot.

Woot has simply become another venue for Amazon to sell excess and some other items and we all expect pricing to be better than else where or at least inline, maybe cheaper b/c of shipping. That's what Amazon is counting on, the perception that woot is a discount retailer, and it AIN'T! Yes, I said AIN'T ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

doelleri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doelleri

Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to tell which picture is which type of trim on the corkscrew. What kind of terrible marketing is this?

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3
doelleri wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to tell which picture is which type of trim on the corkscrew. What kind of terrible marketing is this?

I just want to see some action shots of these "double hinged" beauties!

oldschoollion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldschoollion
doelleri wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to tell which picture is which type of trim on the corkscrew. What kind of terrible marketing is this?

there is also the issue of 5 types listed as available, but I see only 4 sets of pics.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
harmonious3 wrote:I just want to see some action shots of these "double hinged" beauties!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

oldschoollion wrote:there is also the issue of 5 types listed as available, but I see only 4 sets of pics.

Just made a call to get this fixed. Poor sleepy Lisa will be adding photo captions in a moment. And hopefully track down the missing set.

UPDATE: The photos are labeled.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
rjquillin wrote:I did get the true bone last time this was up. It's now my go-to opener. Never had a double hinged before and it's great.
[edit] Just looked, that's 13 woot! pages ago...
And this one is $3 less.

this is a very well crafted, weighty in your hand tool of a corkscrew. It will become the one you use from the time you get it. IMO. it's my goto.

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

Ah, the story of my life. Your choice of trim.

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

Awesome, so happy to see these up again as i missed them last time (they sold out overnight by the time i woke up). Went with the Ebony trip [:

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
mike808 wrote:Ah, the story of my life. Your choice of trim.

Correction, "Your choice of trim, for a price."

CT Updating, please wait....

jackapotamus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jackapotamus

I'm really excited to use this wine key at the restaurant I work at. That blade looks so easy to open, and quite sharp. Also, the Teflon coating apparently prevents the squeaky noise that other corkscrews tend to have, especially with older cork. The Real Bone seemed to be the best to me, mostly because the blade and double hinge are on the same end. It seems like this would make it a bit quicker to open a bottle than the others. A nice wine key is such a convenience, either serving or bartending.

11dndd11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 11dndd11

Didn't need a corkscrew for looks, just wanted a double gear action. Found one (Franmara 5") a coupla years ago and very happy with it. You can find them for $8-12. Worked in restaurants and opened quite a few bottles. So far, the Franmara has been a heavy duty workhorse

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
mschauber wrote:Cheese over at pop.woot
Salted Caramel over at home.woot

Sad non-wine Thursday here at wine.woot

well, you in for three my friend? tempting

kyles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyles

[quote postid="5266483" user="Cesare"]Chateau Epernay Corkscrew (5 Options)
$21.99 (Normally $49.00) 55% off List Price
Available in Mahogany, Bamboo, True Bone (bovine), Rosewood, or exotic Ebony Wood

Website

Their website shows that it is 19.99

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

These are awesome corkscrews. Work better than any I have used before and look very nice. They are nice and heavy and are very well made. Just don't expect much from the case, it is junk.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Itwdswafo

North316

Itwdswafo wrote:Here you go.

That is similar, but not the same. That one does not even have a knife to cut the foil.

My CT

kyles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyles

This is not a great deal...it's priced at everyday normal pricing...
Here is a link where you can get it for 19.99 shipped.
Come on Woot....can't you do better than this?

http://www.massbarmate.com/product_info.php/cPath/49/products_id/834

greydevil

kyles wrote:This is not a great deal...it's priced at everyday normal pricing...

Given that you buy 144 of them in one go...

greydevil

North316 wrote:That is similar, but not the same. That one does not even have a knife to cut the foil.

Also yes, it's similar but different brand. There does seem to be a knife but it doesn't seem to be as easy to pull out as it only has the notch to pull it out, as opposed to having the raised metal so you can flip it out. Small detail yes, but i think i prefer this one more. Plus i do get a choice on the trim which also seals the deal for me.

dannkatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannkatt
kyles wrote:This is not a great deal...it's priced at everyday normal pricing...

That's if you buy 144 corkscrews. I don't need 144 corkscrews. Do you?

markshelton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markshelton

That would be an awesome deal if I wanted 6 of them...

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

I absolutely hate this corkscrew. I use a $2 opener instead of this one. While it looks very nice, it functions poorly. The foil knife is dull and useless. The angles of the feet seem to be wrong to get you the correct leverage on a bottle of wine.
The "feet" or whatever you want to call them parts that sit on the wine bottle rim are also very thin and I have chipped/cracked more than one bottle of wine because of the pressure they exert on that tiny area.
I cannot recommend this opener to anyone as it has probably been the single worst purchase I have ever made from woot, and that is coming from someone who bought the Hip Hop Hippes.
Again, it looks really nice but it functions horribly.

Edit: I bought the bamboo one.

Itwdswafo

North316 wrote:That is similar, but not the same. That one does not even have a knife to cut the foil.

I made no claim to it being exactly the same, just that it was similar. And it does have a knife (a nice one at that), take a look at the third picture.

North316

pengu1n wrote:I absolutely hate this corkscrew. I use a $2 opener instead of this one. While it looks very nice, it functions poorly. The foil knife is dull and useless. The angles of the feet seem to be wrong to get you the correct leverage on a bottle of wine.
The "feet" or whatever you want to call them parts that sit on the wine bottle rim are also very thin and I have chipped/cracked more than one bottle of wine because of the pressure they exert on that tiny area.
I cannot recommend this opener to anyone as it has probably been the single worst purchase I have ever made from woot, and that is coming from someone who bought the Hip Hop Hippes.
Again, it looks really nice but it functions horribly.

Edit: I bought the bamboo one.

Not sure where you are coming from on the angle/leverage comment. I have "chipped" two bottles as you mentioned, but from my experience that appears to be more of an issue with the bottles than the opener.

My CT

mrsaturnian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrsaturnian

These are wonderful corkscrews. I bought two the last time they were up for sale but had to settle on woods that weren't my first choice because I took too long deciding to order. This time I ordered the three woods i wanted. These will make great gifts!

The True bone is the one I currently have and use at home and it is beautiful even if it wasn't my first choice.

eq52515

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eq52515
ThunderThighs wrote:Just made a call to get this fixed. Poor sleepy Lisa will be adding photo captions in a moment. And hopefully track down the missing set.

UPDATE: The photos are labeled.

Well, Lisa gets a 8/10 for that one...she just copy/pasted/renamed the Mahogany/Rosewood. I got the Mahogany (pictured) back in April, the Rosewood has the cutter on the opposite end.

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
North316 wrote:Not sure where you are coming from on the angle/leverage comment. I have "chipped" two bottles as you mentioned, but from my experience that appears to be more of an issue with the bottles than the opener.

The feet don't seem to sit where I would expect them to when seated on the bottle or at an angle that would seem proper. I have tried to fix this by putting the screw in further or shallower and nothing helps. Would post a picture but I am at work. I had never cracked a bottle before this opener.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
greydevil wrote:Also yes, it's similar but different brand. There does seem to be a knife but it doesn't seem to be as easy to pull out as it only has the notch to pull it out, as opposed to having the raised metal so you can flip it out. Small detail yes, but i think i prefer this one more. Plus i do get a choice on the trim which also seals the deal for me.

Actually, I like the "beefiness" of this $12 one at Amazon (if you want to go cheaper.)

amazon.com/True-Fabrications-Wood-Professional-Corkscrew/dp/B00400OL92

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
jackapotamus wrote:I'm really excited to use this wine key at the restaurant I work at. That blade looks so easy to open, and quite sharp. Also, the Teflon coating apparently prevents the squeaky noise that other corkscrews tend to have, especially with older cork. The Real Bone seemed to be the best to me, mostly because the blade and double hinge are on the same end. It seems like this would make it a bit quicker to open a bottle than the others. A nice wine key is such a convenience, either serving or bartending.

I hate to bring bad news, but if you can cancel your order I'd recommend that you do. Someone else said they "hated" these corkscrews and that they're the worse purchase they've made on woot -- I won't go that far because I like them well enough but they're incredibly squeaky and do have a tendency to chip bottles of wine occasionally. I have other cheaper, and far better, corkscrews and am looking to give this one away.

Also, the quality is poor. The foil cutter hinge has already snapped and you have to hold it in place for it be useful. It's sharp enough, but without the hinge it flops back on itself and makes cutting difficult (but not quite impossible).

It's not terrible, but it's not good either. If you're purchasing it because what they call "teflon" won't make noise through a cork then you'll be disappointed.

Geniekid

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Geniekid

I bought one of these last time they were on woot. In my personal experience, I haven't had problems with chipping bottles. However, I will say the foil knife gets dull fast - after about 50 bottles of wine it still gets the job done but I usually have to apply a bit of pressure and go around the rim a couple of times. That said, I haven't owned too many corkscrews with foil knives so I can't say as to whether this is a good deal or not.