WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Not By The Hair Of My Zinny Zin-Zin

Much like the Big Bad Wolf, these wines couldn't be kept out. Much like The Three Little Bops, these wines are a swingin' bunch! Not that we know anything about their descriptions, of course. If they seem like pop songs, it might just be coincidence? Who can say?

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Hey, InZINerator! Not just that but a Double Magnum (not to be confused with a Double Rainbow, although probably just as intense).

I'm just hanging out, really.

deraz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deraz

Has anyone out there tried this?

inkycatz

deraz wrote:Has anyone out there tried this?

Which?

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
inkycatz wrote:Hey, InZINerator! Not just that but a Double Magnum (not to be confused with a Double Rainbow, although probably just as intense).

If it came with a tapper, I'd get it. I don't have enough wine friends to drink that in one sitting.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

inkycatz

funbunny wrote:If it came with a tapper, I'd get it. I don't have enough wine friends to drink that in one sitting.

All right, road trip to funbunny's!

deraz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deraz
inkycatz wrote:Which?

Sorry... the 2009 Scott Harvey InZINerator 3L.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

As always, great to be on Woot. This wine was bottled on 7/30/12. We produced 776 cases of 12/750ml, but only 30 bottles of these double magnums. The spec sheet I sent woot was for a previous 2009 InZinerator bottling. This bottling is 100% Amador County, 91% Zinfandel, 7% Forte and 2% Barbera. The wine is 14.5% alcohol, 3.54pH and .8% residual sugar.

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

Not By The Hair Of My Zinny Zin-Zin

Haywood Estate 2008 Morning Sun Zinfandel 4-Pack
$104.99 (Normally $176.35) 40% off List Price
2008 Morning Sun Zinfandel, Los Chamizal Vineyard
Previous offer: 8/27/12 (Plus)

Sextant Wines 2010 Wheelhouse Zinfandel 5-Pack
$74.99 (Normally $138.25) 46% off List Price
Sextant Wines 2010 Wheelhouse Zinfandel
Previous offer: 9/25/12

Calstar El Dorado 2008 Zinfandel 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $119.55) 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zinfandel, El Dorado County

Scott Harvey InZINerator Double Magnum
$79.99 (Normally $122.60) 35% off List Price
2009 Scott Harvey InZINerator 3L
Previous offer: 5/22/12 (Woot-off)

Lang Wines 2006 Reserve Zinfandel 4-Pack
$59.99 (Normally $119.20) 50% off List Price
2006 Lang Wines Reserve Zinfandel
Previous offer: 8/13/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

The Calstar specs seem to be for the 2007 vintage.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
ScottHarveyWines wrote:As always, great to be on Woot. This wine was bottled on 7/30/12. We produced 776 cases of 12/750ml, but only 30 bottles of these double magnums. The spec sheet I sent woot was for a previous 2009 InZinerator bottling. This bottling is 100% Amador County, 91% Zinfandel, 7% Forte and 2% Barbera. The wine is 14.5% alcohol, 3.54pH and .8% residual sugar.

Mr Harvey, how long do you think this bottle will hold?

Neal K Bharadwaj

nealkb

There are only 6 bottles left. Of the inzin. Get it while you can!!!

Neal K Bharadwaj

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

The Wheelhouse Zin is good but must be decanted as there is sediment to deal with. Don't know if that's normal for this wine but my first two bottles had quite a bit of sediment.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Got one yeahh.., will be nice to see it next to the 2007 double magnum.
But it will be better to see them IN MY BELLY!!!!

luisifer777

ScottHarveyWines wrote:As always, great to be on Woot. This wine was bottled on 7/30/12. We produced 776 cases of 12/750ml, but only 30 bottles of these double magnums. The spec sheet I sent woot was for a previous 2009 InZinerator bottling. This bottling is 100% Amador County, 91% Zinfandel, 7% Forte and 2% Barbera. The wine is 14.5% alcohol, 3.54pH and .8% residual sugar.

Humm, Different from the other 2009
Blend: 78% Zinfandel, 9% Syrah, 8% Barbera, 5% Mixed Port.

Are you gonna add this new 2009 to cellar tracker?

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Oy, so many choices, so many money. Want em all but need to choose only one.

Wish the InZinerator was in smaller bottles and not one biggie.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

I know nothing about Calstar. Anyone had these? Maybe the Calstar winemaker will pipe in?
Would love to hear a bit more about that wine.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
Cesare wrote:The Calstar specs seem to be for the 2007 vintage.

From the Calstar website for 2008 Alta Zin:

Composition:  100% Zinfandel
Harvest Date:  September 24, 2008
Brix:  25.7
Date Bottled:  August 4, 2009
Production:  375 cases
Alcohol:  15.4
pH:  3.66
TA: 6.48 g/L
Release Date:  August 1, 2012

luisifer777

nealkb wrote:There are only 6 bottles left. Of the inzin. Get it while you can!!!

How do you know how many are left?

nealkb

luisifer777 wrote:How do you know how many are left?

When I got my pair, the max it allowed me to get was 8. After my confirmation, it went down to 6. Maybe my assumption was a little off, but I think its pretty close. And now the button is flashing..

Neal K Bharadwaj

luisifer777

nealkb wrote:When I got my pair, the max it allowed me to get was 8. After my confirmation, it went down to 6. Maybe my assumption was a little off, but I think its pretty close. And now the button is flashing..

That seem right. only one left..
Thanks

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Scott -
We always open a double-mag for Easter. This year we actually opened a Zin, but with 15 years on it, which had allowed it to mellow a bit and it didn't overwhelm the ham and lamb.
I'm afraid this InZin would probably be a bit too assertive and steal the show - am I correct?

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

amaizing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amaizing

YES!! Snagged last bottle of double mag.

Last Wooter to Woot:
amaizing

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Cesare wrote:The Calstar specs seem to be for the 2007 vintage.

Yeah... sorry about that. We're in the process of correcting. And I believe winemaker Rick will be stopping by the boards later to say hello....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm glad the double-mag sold out before I even knew this offer was up. Otherwise I would be $85 poorer.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

On the Sextant Zin...
http://wine.woot.com/offers/sextant-central-coast-zinfandel

I'm hoping and guessing there was just an issue with bottling for a short run of it, but this stuff was awful and had an extreme amount of sediment near the top of the bottle, which looked like congealed/dried wine. I don't think it was the cork itself at all. The wine was near-vinegar upon initial tasting (but mellowed out the more I had...) I've tried two bottles now out of the shipment of six, and both were the same upon opening. I still have the other four, but am leery to open them. Hoping not all are bad. For the record, I handle my wine gently and keep it in a 12 Oster bottle wine fridge I bought from W00t about 5 years ago.

That's just one bad experience, though, and I doubt it was the same with the whole line, or we would've heard much uproar. I may try opening one of the remaining bottles soon and hope it's not the same

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

schaeferr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages schaeferr
North316 wrote:I'm glad the double-mag sold out before I even knew this offer was up. Otherwise I would be $85 poorer.

Me too, but I'm also bummed out. I was going to go home tonight and try and sell my wife on why we needed at least one. She told me during the Woot Off yesterday that we didn't need any more wine (I am still mulling over whether I need to contact a divorce lawyer).

I was hoping I could convince her to let us buy a 3-liter bottle of wine, but, alas, that challenge will have to wait for another day.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Ive unlocked free shipping and looking for winemaker or winery participaton on the lang and calstar offerings. Namely, Re these big zin fruit bombs ala dry creek style but not too sweet? I want both but need some feedback. Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

calstarcellars

quality posts: 15 Private Messages calstarcellars

Rick Davis here, owner/winemaker for Calstar Cellars. Wrapping up a very long harvest and getting back into sales/social mode. I selected the fruit for the Alta Zin because I wanted to make an age able Zin. I also strive to make all my wines both food friendly and enjoyable on their own.

calstarcellars

Rick Davis here, the Calstar Cellars Zin is more Western Russian River than Dry Creek in style. It is dry, with dark fruit, moderate tannins and subtle (I hope) oak.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
calstarcellars wrote:Rick Davis here, owner/winemaker for Calstar Cellars. Wrapping up a very long harvest and getting back into sales/social mode. I selected the fruit for the Alta Zin because I wanted to make an age able Zin. I also strive to make all my wines both food friendly and enjoyable on their own.

Hey Rick, knowing nothing about your wine, how would you describe it? Also, would be curious to know about the oak on these?

calstarcellars

dah7m wrote:I know nothing about Calstar. Anyone had these? Maybe the Calstar winemaker will pipe in?
Would love to hear a bit more about that wine.

Dry with Dark fruit, with moderate tannins and nice layering

calstarcellars

dah7m wrote:Hey Rick, knowing nothing about your wine, how would you describe it? Also, would be curious to know about the oak on these?

I use 25% to 30% new oak, half American and half Hungarian. I'm trying for a more age able style of Zin here rather than a "fruit bomb"

losthighwayz

Thanks for chiming in Rick! Would you describe our zin as chewy? What is drinking window and is it ready to drink now or would you recommend letting it sit? Thanks

losthighwayz

Where is dorado county? So is your zin similar to Woodenhead in style?

calstarcellars

losthighwayz wrote:Where is dorado county? So is your zin similar to Woodenhead in style?

El Dorado County is the highest elevation of the Sierra Foothills AVAs. The vineyard I'm using for this bottling is about half way from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, just east of Placerville. Not familiar with Woodenhead's Zin, so really can't help there.

calstarcellars

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for chiming in Rick! Would you describe our zin as chewy? What is drinking window and is it ready to drink now or would you recommend letting it sit? Thanks

Not so much chewy as fruit-driven (dark fruit), with some layering -it's been described as a Cab drinkers Zin. Ready to drink now will hold for at least 2 years.

losthighwayz

calstarcellars wrote:Not so much chewy as fruit-driven (dark fruit), with some layering -it's been described as a Cab drinkers Zin. Ready to drink now will hold for at least 2 years.

Thanks for getting back. Gonna give these a try!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I'm glad the double-mag sold out before I even knew this offer was up. Otherwise I would be $85 poorer.

No duh! How did I miss this. Oh yeah, work..

CT