Cesare

quality posts: 1592 Private Messages Cesare

BONESHAKER: Limited Production Lodi 2011 Zinfandel 3-Pack
$52.99 (Normally $93.71) 43% off List Price
2011 BONESHAKER: Limited Production Lodi Zinfandel
CT link above
Delivered in time for Halloween

Winery website

• Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • -il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

I'm guessing this is from our friends that also run Hahn/Smith&Hook?

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

Wow, 15% abv?! I know some zins can pull that off, but how well does this zin balance that kind of heat?

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Interested, but have too much wine.
    I like big fruity zins and I like the label and winery. But I have had 18 bottles show up this week and am out of storage, so nope.

edit: the offer says limited production, aren't all offers limited since an infinite amount can never be produced? How many cases were made?

CT

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin

I kept hoping that I'd see the late harvest zin from last year.... Vinito del Finito.

My wife is not a fan of reds, but that was her all time favorite wine.

tsbrigham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsbrigham
    cortot20 wrote:

edit: the offer says limited production, aren't all offers limited since an infinite amount can never be produced? How many cases were made?

very good point. there is no such thing as an infinite amount of wine therefor everything must be limited

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:edit: the offer says limited production, aren't all offers limited since an infinite amount can never be produced? How many cases were made?

Are you picking snits here?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
    ThunderThighs wrote:Are you picking snits here?

Nope. Just annoyed that the offer said limited production but the specs don't list the total case production which is a fairly common stat that I find interesting.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:Nope. Just annoyed that the offer said limited production but the specs don't list the total case production which is a fairly common stat that I find interesting.

If it's any consolation, the bottle also says it. Looks like we didn't get that info though.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Cesare

quality posts: 1592 Private Messages Cesare
    cortot20 wrote:Nope. Just annoyed that the offer said limited production but the specs don't list the total case production which is a fairly common stat that I find interesting.

The 2009 says 500 cases.
    The 2010 has no case spec.
    The 2011 is not on the website.

-il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

montegobayjr

quality posts: 10 Private Messages montegobayjr

From the website:

BONESHAKER: Limited Production Lodi Zinfandel

"So what is this new bottle branded Boneshaker,
    With a ghoulish label from bold Gladiator Wines?
    The fruits of the labor of our restless winemaker
    Is this muscular Lodi Zin from century old vines.
    Fragrance and aromas of black cherry and leather arise
    Not heady but subtle, yet affording surprise
    At its balance of fruit and oak upon first taste
    With a finish structured and absent of haste.
    From the first cork pulled and first sip taken,
    Leaves vinous thirst slaked and bones thoroughly –
    SHAKEN"

Of note to me is the mention of "century old vines" ... not sure I've ever been disappointed by an Old Vine Zin.

ctansy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctansy
    tsbrigham wrote:very good point. there is no such thing as an infinite amount of wine therefor everything must be limited

What?!? Boones farm seems to have an unlimited supply! (Lol Sorry couldn't resist that one)

montegobayjr

From "Sip California":

Boneshaker Zinfandel. A limited production of Ancient Vine Lodi Zinfandel making it’s way into this Zin lovers heart! It’s WINETASTIC! (A FIVE BOTTLE rating for those that follow my wine reviews). $25.00 per bottle and limited production mean you better get your Zin on and buy a few!

All in all the wine experience with Cycle Gladiators was Amazing! The visitors center is inviting; beautiful and “Kudos” to Dennis for making such a memorable tasting experience. Make sure not to forget Lodi, CA when you make your next wine tasting excursion and when you get there, make sure that Cycle Gladiator is on your list. It’s a *must* tasting experience for true wine lovers!

Cheers!

Kim Johnson, D’ Vine Wine Time

lrsmithwhaley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrsmithwhaley

haha, I agree, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it came with the skull.

thumperchick wrote:More interested in where to get that skull...

montegobayjr

Comment specific to 2009, but also more "general" info:

The Hahn Family does produce a zin falling into a higher price category: the 2009 Boneshaker Lodi Zinfandel ($25) is broader, sturdier and thicker than the Cycles Gladiator; much of its big-mouth feel probably due to the 14% Cabernet Sauvignon in its blend. For those digging its alternative label: it also glows in the dark!

**2011:•Varietal composition: 85% Zinfandel 7% Cabernet Sauvignon 6% Merlot 2% Petite Sirah

GrfxGawd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GrfxGawd

I want to buy the SKULL!

mellobeth66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mellobeth66

I was wondering the same thing about that's skull.

babalooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages babalooo

Oh My Gookie!, this wine is GREAT. I was just at Cycles Gladiator in Lodi last month and bought 3 of these. Big, jammy, delishiousness. I don't know if I should buy one or more packs.....I wish they were throwing in the t-shirt. The employees there were wearing them.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
    Cesare wrote:The 2009 says 500 cases.
    The 2010 has no case spec.
    The 2011 is not on the website.

Looks like 2012 was a big release year for the Boneshakers

According to these links:

2009 Boneshaker was released in Mar-2012
    2010 Boneshaker was released on Sep-26-2012
    2011 Boneshaker is being released now, I guess, which is a little over 2 weeks since the 2010 Boneshaker was released

Why is the 2011 being released so soon? Based on this info, is the 2011 really drinkable NOW or should it be cellared for Halloween 2014 or beyond.

I wish this deal was for an earlier Boneshaker or a vertical of all 3, so I know I could drink some of it NOW.

Does the winery want to comment on the close release dates?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

GrfxGawd wrote:I want to buy the SKULL!

mellobeth66 wrote:I was wondering the same thing about that's skull.

The skull is actually a 4-port USB hub and available a few places like TG and the almighty Amazon:

click for skull

also click for skull

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Anyone from the Twin Cities want to split it? I'm only interested in the bottle, admittedly, and only one of them at that. : )

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
    --John Muir

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
    otolith wrote:Anyone from the Twin Cities want to split it? I'm only interested in the bottle, admittedly, and only one of them at that. : )

Sure. I'll send you a PM

MarkL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarkL

Setting up and taking these pictures must be a dream job. "Lets see, I'll need this bottle about 4/5 empty, so...."

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
    cyberpenguin wrote:I kept hoping that I'd see the late harvest zin from last year.... Vinito del Finito.

My wife is not a fan of reds, but that was her all time favorite wine.

That is gone. Though someone said that Peter Wellington still had a small amount. Might be able to contact him for some.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Seems to be a Halloween wine in the tradition (and style) of Armida's PoiZin (wow, did that comely winemaker - since moved on - have some ink!), which has appeared on wine.woot in several Octobers and has a following among the lovers of monster Zinfandel.

If you've got the dosh, and are heading for a Halloween party or hosting one, this would be a nice thing on the table with the scary pumpkin and the chips and orange cheese-wiz dip.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
    Pull lots of corks!
    Remember what you taste!

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Glow in the dark tattoo and patch included? That's for skateboards not wine. Always leary of this kind of gimmicky marketing...easy pass.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
    PTommins wrote:Sure. I'll send you a PM

So are you guys going to flip a coin to see who gets the tattoo and/or patch?
    Cheers!

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
    cynthylee wrote:So are you guys going to flip a coin to see who gets the tattoo and/or patch?
    Cheers!

I would prefer the patch. Already regret the ink from a bad tequilla night when I was a teen

nateeul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nateeul

Yes!! You want to?

otolith wrote:Anyone from the Twin Cities want to split it? I'm only interested in the bottle, admittedly, and only one of them at that. : )

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Aaaw man. If I wasn't outtaworko I'd buy 3 of these, but have to settle for 1.

Big Zin? Check.
    Good winery? Check.
    A freaking SKULL on the bottle? Check check check.

Instabuy.

Have already given family members the headsup also so perhaps they will stock up for the holidays...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

the word tobacco and then somewhere else it mentioned leather? two words that make it a no buy for me.... sadly, I love the label!!

tilandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tilandra

Good timing for me to be in for two... not lucky enough to have tried this at a tasting like some of the more geographically blessed folks, but I seem to be a sucker for cool labels and the word "jammy". And always looking for something that goes good with smoked meats.

pixie1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixie1969

Hello,

I would really like to buy this but I live in NJ.. Didn't the whole "shipping wine to NJ" thing become ok with the new law they passed a year or two ago?

Thanks!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
    PTommins wrote:Sure. I'll send you a PM

nateeul wrote:Yes!! You want to?

How many do each of you want? I only want one, and am not really interested in the wine that's in the bottle, as the fruit bomb zins are not my style. The bottle/label, however, is cool, and would fit in with my bar nicely (there are a few skulls on the shelves).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
    --John Muir

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
    pixie1969 wrote:Hello,

I would really like to buy this but I live in NJ.. Didn't the whole "shipping wine to NJ" thing become ok with the new law they passed a year or two ago?

Thanks!

Hi pixie1969,
    As always, although the passage of a law might make it easier, a lot of times it is winery dependent as to if an offer will be available in your state.

Sorry!

I'm just hanging out, really.

RoosterBooster

quality posts: 50 Private Messages RoosterBooster

Morning All!

As suggested by webdev511, Boneshaker is indeed made by Hahn Family Wines. That being said, it's part of the Cycles Gladiator lineup and sold out of the Winery/Visitor Center in Lodi (hence being a Lodi Zin).

When the Cycles Gladiator visitor center was started up in Lodi we knew that we wanted to make a high quality Zinfandel that we could have some fun with. Lodi is well known for making world class zin from old vine vineyards so it was a matter of figuring out a great package to go with a great wine. We went through a couple concepts of bikes and wine (to go with Cycles Gladiator), but once we started down the Boneshaker road there was no turning back. Boneshaker has been some of the most fun to work with because it's an amazing wine that people just have a great reaction to. As a side note, don't know if it's been mentioned yet but both the label and the tattoo glow in the dark (I mean what's the point of putting a skull on the label if it isn't going to glow in the dark).
    EDIT: Yes, it has been mentioned now that I read further. Hopefully less redundant info as I continue onwards.

So, I have 35 more comments to read and I'll be back in a moment.

Thanks!

Josh

RoosterBooster

quality posts: 50 Private Messages RoosterBooster
    coolchris160 wrote:Wow, 15% abv?! I know some zins can pull that off, but how well does this zin balance that kind of heat?

Very well actually, most everyone that has come by the VC to try the wine has loved it and can't believe that it's 15%. Our winemaker consulted with some of the other Zin wineries in Lodi (which is a very friendly place) to work on balancing the acid and the alcohol.

montegobayjr

If you are still around, would like to know about cellaring and or drinking this wine now...THANKS!