+ Add a Comment

Woody1

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Woody1

New thread. I'm thinking this is going to be quite one sided and should probably just be called "Woody's One Place". Not to be conceded, or arrogant, but I intend to really fill this baby up in my spare time. No post whoring, just trivial factoids, news of the day, weather reports, daily scuttle, and some entertaining stories. After all, this is my second home.

You know the one I don't currently have a second mortgage on.

If I ever move from my current place, I will need two Semi-trucks. The first will have what I used to own and will say "Settlement" on the side of the truck, the other will just say "His Woot".

So don’t check back here, but over the weekend, when things are slow, be ready for an open house of everything clean. It’s a mission for a mission. Hell, I may even unlock the secrets of the universe?

Please don’t expect anything as I promise nothing. I am talking to myself even now just so I can be impartial and fair as both the judge, jury and the happy bailiff running out for sandwiches and beer. I will be my own stenographer and critic as needed.

Should you care to chime in, do so and be merry? Be happy. Be HAPPY MARY?

Just to get me started. I’m looking for a short story to read while I wait for the next woot to buy.

Starts Aug 20 http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=117913&PageIndex=5

900+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

Woody1

Aesop

The Tortoise and the Hare

The Hare was once boasting of his speed before the other animals. "I have never yet been beaten," said he, "when I put forth my full speed. I challenge any one here to race with me."
The Tortoise said quietly, "I accept your challenge."
"That is a good joke," said the Hare; "I could dance round you all the way."
"Keep your boasting till you've won," answered the Tortoise. "Shall we race?"
So a course was fixed and a start was made. The Hare darted almost out of sight at once, but soon stopped and, to show his contempt for the Tortoise, lay down to have a nap. The Tortoise plodded on and plodded on, and when the Hare awoke from his nap, he saw the Tortoise just near the winning-post and could not run up in time to save the race.
Then the Tortoise said: "Slow but steady progress wins the race."

Woody1

Cincinnati traffic for today

Woody1

Houston Weather
http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:USTX0617

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

Woody, have you been drinkin already??

Woody1

acemom wrote:
Woody, have you been drinkin already??

No not yet, but I'm thinking around 5-6 ish?

acemom

Woody1 wrote:

No not yet, but I'm thinking around 5-6 ish?

Sounds good to me....I'll try to hold off till then Smile

Woody1

Updated: 1:45 p.m. EDT (17:45 GMT), August 19, 2005
'The sky just exploded'

The twister leveled 15 homes in Stoughton.
A witness said "the sky just exploded" when a tornado roared through Stoughton, Wisconsin. One person was killed in the storm, 15 homes were leveled and at least 30 were damaged in the south-central Wisconsin town, according to a state emergency management spokeswoman. The National Weather Service is investigating reports of 18 possible tornadoes around Wisconsin, spokesman Greg Davis said.

Woody1

(CNN) -- An al Qaeda-linked group has claimed responsibility for rocket attacks Friday that targeted but missed two U.S. military ships in the Jordanian Red Sea port of Aqaba.

The three Katyusha rockets hit a warehouse and a hospital in Aqaba, killing a Jordanian soldier, and struck the nearby Israeli port city of Eilat.

A second Jordanian soldier was severely wounded. No U.S. military personnel were injured.

"Zionists are our rightful target," according to the statement signed by al Qaeda in Levant and Egypt, the Martyr Abdallah Azzam Brigades.

The statement, posted on an Islamist Web site, promised an attack in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv.

"We bombed them in Taba and we attacked them today in Eilat and we will shake them up in Tal Al-Rabih (Tel Aviv in Arabic), God willing," the statement said, according to a translation.

CNN cannot confirm the authenticity of the claim.

The Martyr Abdallah Azzam Brigades is one of several groups that claimed responsibility for the October 2004 attacks in the Sinai, Egypt tourist resorts of Taba and Ras Shitan. Those attacks killed 34 people.

On Friday, three rockets were fired from a warehouse in Aqaba close to the port, a Jordanian government statement said. The warehouse had been rented a few days ago by four people of Iraqi and Egyptian descent.

The casualties occurred when one rocket flew over the bow of the USS Ashland and struck a warehouse used by the Jordanian military, officials said.

"At approximately 8:44 a.m. local time, a suspected mortar rocket flew over the USS Ashland's bow and impacted in a warehouse on the pier in the vicinity of the Ashland and USS Kearsarge," according to a statement from U.S. Central Command.

"The warehouse sustained an approximate 8-foot hole in the roof of the building."

A second missile landed near a military hospital in Aqaba, and the third landed in the neighboring Israeli Red Sea port city of Eliat, the Jordanian government said.

The third rocket partially exploded, Israeli military sources said, damaging a road and a car. It fell on a road just east of the city's airport. No injuries were reported.

Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said the two countries were cooperating in the investigation.

The ships were in port so sailors could train with regional partners, U.S. Navy Commander Jeff Breslau told CNN. "It's very unusual for U.S. ships to be under attack in this part of the region."

Security forces sealed off the area of the port near the warehouse. Breslau said the U.S. military ships subsequently left the port.

Marines from the 26th Expeditionary Unit were on board the ships "in support of the global war on terrorism (and) Operation Iraqi Freedom," Breslau said.

The massive 844-feet, 40,500-ton USS Kearsarge is staffed with nearly 2,000 Marines and more than 1,000 sailors, according to its Web site.

The smaller 609-feet, 16,000-ton USS Ashland carries more than 400 Marines and more than 400 sailors.

CNN Senior Arab Affairs Editor Octavia Nasr, CNNArabic.com Editor Caroline Faraj and CNN Producers Arwa Damon and Michal Zippori contributed to this report.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Woody1

After 1,335 yards and a career-high 17 TDs in 2004, Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson is the No. 1 player on the board.
John W. McDonough/SI

Woody1

'Idol' Dropout Signs Record Deal
Aug 18, 1:47 PM EST

The Associated Press

Mario Vazquez didn't need to win "American Idol" to get the record contract — the "Idol" dropout has signed a deal with J Records, home of previous winners Fantasia and Ruben Studdard.

"It's just so exciting to see that my dreams are coming to fruition," Vazquez told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday.

"Mario Vazquez is a multitalented, young Hispanic singer with the voice and charisma that we've been trying to find for a long time. His live audition for us was truly special," Clive Davis, chairman of U.S. BMG, said in a statement.

Vazquez is best known for his brief stint on the Fox talent competition last season. Though he was considered a huge fan favorite, he dropped out of the show in the early rounds. Rumors swirled about why he left, but Vazquez says he just felt "Idol" wasn't the right vehicle for him, though it boosted his confidence as a performer.

"I've been wanting to do this big, since the age of 12, 13. I've been struggling to get myself out there," he said. "I felt like especially with this newfound confidence, why don't I take a risk and see if I can do this on my own?"

Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood were the show's two finalists, and Underwood won the contest. Vazquez said he sometimes thinks about what might have been, but has "no regrets whatsoever."

"I don't know how far I would have gone (in the competition)," he said.

The 27-year-old Bronx, N.Y., native says his upcoming album should be out in the spring, and will reflect a variety of genres.

"It's going to be a fusion of everything I've grown up with in New York City," he said, from R&B to alternative music to pop.

Vazquez said he's especially excited to let his "Idol" fans in on what he's been working on.

"I really want to just hit them with a great record and a real representation of what I love."

pooflady

quality posts: 24 Private Messages pooflady

Have to go out in the Cincinnati traffic. Can't wait to get back to see what else has flitted through your mind.

So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Woody1

http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=286
Fall Fashion 2005: Women
Black is back, hemlines are anywhere you want them to be and it's all about layering, ladies. Getting dressed for fall has never been this easy — or chic.

Woody1

pooflady wrote:
Have to go out in the Cincinnati traffic. Can't wait to get back to see what else has flitted through your mind.

Actually in Dayton today, so smooth sailing south for meCool

Woody1

Why major airlines aren't bouncing back
advertisement

Air carriers are dogged by high oil costs and tough competition. That means even deeper problems for the companies and higher fares for passengers.

By The Christian Science Monitor

The nation's already battered major airlines are in for an even harder few months ahead.

Mechanics are threatening a strike at Northwest Airlines (NWAC, news, msgs). Analysts say even if it's averted, the carrier may have to declare bankruptcy. Delta Air Lines (DAL, news, msgs) is busy selling off assets in an effort to avoid going into Chapter 11, but it acknowledges that bankruptcy is still a very real possibility.

Despite unprecedented cuts in labor and operating expenses, most of the nation's other major carriers are also racking up millions of losses every month.

Indeed, while much of the economy is on the rebound, the airlines are still struggling. It's all thanks to the soaring price of oil and the brutal new competition ushered in by the success of low-cost carriers like Southwest Airlines (LUV, news, msgs) and JetBlue Airways (JBLU, news, msgs).

Oil prices hit home
For passengers, the transformation in the past few years has brought cut-rate fares, as well as trips without pillows and pretzels. So they've packed the planes but brought along bag lunches and bagels.

Yet as oil prices start to catch up with consumers as well, not only at the pump but also in electric and heating bills, experts say they're much less likely to take that trip to Disney, no matter how attractive the airfare. People just won't have the discretionary income. And that is expected to make things even rockier for the major carriers.

"It's usually a long cold winter, and this one, I suspect, will be even rougher than usual. In fact, it could be the worst," says aviation analyst Robert Mann of R.W. Mann & Co. in Port Washington, N.Y. "(Airlines) that usually lose money in the winter will lose even more."

Snookered

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snookered

Check yer mail. Sent another nut story.

Woody1

New story

Agent ORANGE!

Woody1

The Spanish Inquisition
by Monty Python

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the early years of the 16th century, to combat the rising tide of religious unorthodoxy, the Pope gave Cardinal Ximinez of Spain leave to move without let or hindrance throughout the land, in a reign of violence, terror and torture that makes a smashing film. This was the Spanish Inquisition...

Woody1

Chapman: Trouble at mill.
Cleveland: Oh no - what kind of trouble?
Chapman: One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.
Cleveland: Pardon?
Chapman: One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treadle.
Cleveland: I don't understand what you're saying.
Chapman: [slightly irritatedly and with exaggeratedly clear accent] One of the cross beams has gone out askew on the treadle.
Cleveland: Well what on earth does that mean?
Chapman: *I* don't know - Mr Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all - I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

Woody1

[JARRING CHORD]

[The door flies open and Cardinal Ximinez of Spain [Palin] enters, flanked by two junior cardinals. Cardinal Biggles [Jones] has goggles pushed over his forehead. Cardinal Fang [Gilliam] is just Cardinal Fang]

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

[The Inquisition exits]

Chapman: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

Woody1

[JARRING CHORD]

[The cardinals burst in]

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!
[To Cardinal Biggles] I can't say it - you'll have to say it.
Biggles: What?
Ximinez: You'll have to say the bit about 'Our chief weapons are ...'
Biggles: [rather horrified]: I couldn't do that...

[Ximinez bundles the cardinals outside again]

Chapman: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

Woody1

[JARRING CHORD]

[The cardinals enter]

Biggles: Er.... Nobody...um....
Ximinez: Expects...
Biggles: Expects... Nobody expects the...um...the Spanish...um...
Ximinez: Inquisition.
Biggles: I know, I know! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. In fact, those who do expect -
Ximinez: Our chief weapons are...
Biggles: Our chief weapons are...um...er...
Ximinez: Surprise...
Biggles: Surprise and --
Ximinez: Okay, stop. Stop. Stop there - stop there. Stop. Phew! Ah! ... our chief weapons are surprise...blah blah blah. Cardinal, read the charges.
Fang: You are hereby charged that you did on diverse dates commit heresy against the Holy Church. 'My old man said follow the--'
Biggles: That's enough.
[To Cleveland] Now, how do you plead?
Clevelnd: We're innocent.
Ximinez: Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

[DIABOLICAL LAUGHTER]

Biggles: We'll soon change your mind about that!

Woody1

[DIABOLICAL ACTING]

Ximinez: Fear, surprise, and a most ruthless-- [controls himself with a supreme effort] Ooooh! Now, Cardinal -- the rack!

[Biggles produces a plastic-coated dish-drying rack. Ximinez looks at it and clenches his teeth in an effort not to lose control. He hums heavily to cover his anger]

Ximinez: You....Right! Tie her down.

[Fang and Biggles make a pathetic attempt to tie her on to the drying rack]

Ximinez:Right! How do you plead?
Clevelnd: Innocent.
Ximinez: Ha! Right! Cardinal, give the rack [oh dear] give the rack a turn.

[Biggles stands their awkwardly and shrugs his shoulders]

Woody1

Biggles: I....
Ximinez: [gritting his teeth] I *know*, I know you can't. I didn't want to say anything. I just wanted to try and ignore your crass mistake.
Biggles: I...
Ximinez: It makes it all seem so stupid.
Biggles: Shall I...?
Ximinez: No, just pretend for God's sake. Ha! Ha! Ha!

[Biggles turns an imaginary handle on the side of the dish-rack]

Woody1

[Cut to them torturing a dear old lady, Marjorie Wilde]

Ximinez: Now, old woman -- you are accused of heresy on three counts -- heresy by thought, heresy by word, heresy by deed, and heresy by action -- *four* counts. Do you confess?
Wilde: I don't understand what I'm accused of.
Ximinez: Ha! Then we'll make you understand! Biggles! Fetch...THE CUSHIONS!

Woody1

[JARRING CHORD]

[Biggles holds out two ordinary modern household cushions]

Biggles: Here they are, lord.
Ximinez: Now, old lady -- you have one last chance. Confess the heinous sin of heresy, reject the works of the ungodly -- *two* last chances. And you shall be free -- *three* last chances. You have three last chances, the nature of which I have divulged in my previous utterance.
Wilde: I don't know what you're talking about.
Ximinez: Right! If that's the way you want it -- Cardinal! Poke her with the soft cushions!

Woody1

[Biggles carries out this rather pathetic torture]

Ximinez: Confess! Confess! Confess!
Biggles: It doesn't seem to be hurting her, lord.
Ximinez: Have you got all the stuffing up one end?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez [angrily hurling away the cushions]: Hm! She is made of harder stuff! Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Woody1

[JARRING CHORD]

[Zoom into Fang's horrified face]

Fang [terrified]: The...Comfy Chair?

[Biggles pushes in a comfy chair -- a really plush one]

Ximinez: So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!

Woody1

[They roughly push her into the Comfy Chair]

Ximinez [with a cruel leer]: Now -- you will stay in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven. [aside, to Biggles] Is that really all it is?
Biggles: Yes, lord.
Ximinez: I see. I suppose we make it worse by shouting a lot, do we? Confess, woman. Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess
Biggles: I confess!
Ximinez: Not you!

Woody1

Enough Monty, ENOUGH!

Woody1

Snookered wrote:
Check yer mail. Sent another nut story.

Now that was funny!

Zack2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zack2
 Woody1 wrote:
Updated: 1:45 p.m. EDT (17:45 GMT), August 19, 2005
'The sky just exploded'

The twister leveled 15 homes in Stoughton.
A witness said "the sky just exploded" when a tornado roared through Stoughton, Wisconsin. One person was killed in the storm, 15 homes were leveled and at least 30 were damaged in the south-central Wisconsin town, according to a state emergency management spokeswoman. The National Weather Service is investigating reports of 18 possible tornadoes around Wisconsin, spokesman Greg Davis said.

Yup, there were a few spotted not to far from here. The only casualties (phew) wer trees, shingles, and a bunch of really scared trailer home inhabitants. Oh, and in the backwoods, the occasional still, and hunting blind.

Is this the stuff you want, this I can do, if not maybe Cruzer will take me back....Smile...

Woody1

acemom wrote:

Sounds good to me....I'll try to hold off till then Smile

I just thought of something, you are in GV, OH right?

My daughter played tennis yesterday agains the HS up there

acemom

Woody1 wrote:

I just thought of something, you are in GV, OH right?

My daughter played tennis yesterday agains the HS up there

No, I don't know what GV is, but I'm in VW (NW section.)

Woody1

Zack2 wrote:

Yup, there were a few spotted not to far from here. The only casualties (phew) wer trees, shingles, and a bunch of really scared trailer home inhabitants. Oh, and in the backwoods, the occasional still, and hunting blind.

Is this the stuff you want, this I can do, if not maybe Cruzer will take me back....Smile...

Sure, have at it! We should have 1 spot were we are entertained and informed without rules. Don't care what goes in here, chat, drink, be merry, let everyone know what's going on in your part of the world. Same old chit-chat get's old. I want to read something that doesn't say Woot sucks today. FYI that Houston MAP will change every 10 minutes by itself, so kind of nice to have on the first page. Now we can see if Fed-Ex is stuck in the snow, er sand, er border patroled....

Woody1

acemom wrote:

No, I don't know what GV is, but I'm in VW (NW section.)

Geenville. Now I have to figure out what VW is???

Woody1

A spell checker would be nice. I cannot type. Maybe taking my shoes off would be easier?

Woody1

Sending one's children back to school at the end of summer is always a bittersweet experience for parents. It's good to know that your children have reached another milestone in their journey toward becoming aware and educated young adults, but it's also rather unsettling. Today's schools are often overcrowded and underfunded, and parents often worry how their child will fare amongst the other children and with a new crop of teachers and subjects.

Your children, hopefully, will be among the lucky ones who draw dedicated teachers, small classes, and nice classmates, but even so, at the beginning of each school year, they still have to adjust to a totally new situation. The first day of school can be an unsettling experience under the best of circumstances - but this is where astrology can come in handy!

Knowledge of your child's Sun Sign can help you get your child through the first day, and on track to thrive in school. Check your child's Sun Sign element and quality below for some quick and easy tips to get your child off to a great start this school year!

Your Child's Sun Sign Element:

Sun Signs are grouped into four elements - fire, earth, air, and water.

Fire Sign Children - Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius:
If your child is a native of a fire sign, he or she is sure to stand out from the rest of the class. They are often the most athletic kids, and thus glean admiration through their talent for sports. Fire signs have a way of taking control of a situation right from the start and becoming strong leaders - and therefore, your child shouldn't be bullied by anyone. Unfortunately, if your fiery child is the more aggressive type, he or she could become the bully. Parents of fire children need to thoroughly educate their kids in the importance of kindness, politeness, and diplomacy - emphasizing that effective leadership lies in being liked and respected. The best way to do this, of course, is by example.

Earth Sign Children - Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn:
The earth sign children usually find it quite easy to adjust. The first thing they'll do is seek out their own territory, finding a desk near their friends from last year and settling in. They tend to be the best-behaved kids and the least likely to cause trouble. Often they seem to be listening raptly to the teacher, but appearances can be misleading. If they're not interested in the subject, they could be off in their own world, absorbing little if anything. Parents of earth children need to point out to them the practicality of learning as much as they can - even if they hate some of the subjects. They'll thrive using their hands whether building forts or in art class, and if your earth child seems a little unmotivated, get them outdoors after school to soak up some of Mother Nature's replenishing energy.

Air Sign Children - Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius:
The air sign children are usually among the smartest kids in the class, and also the ones most socially adept. They tend to be very popular with their peers. They learn quickly and get their work done quickly. However, often to the dismay of their teachers, once their work is done, they might interrupt the work of other students who aren't quite as bright or quick. They get bored easily, and could disrupt the class by passing notes or whispering. Parents should emphasize to their air children that some kids need more time to get their work done - and it's not fair for them to make it hard for the other kids. A fantastic way to channel all that air sign energy is to sign your kid up to be a classroom helper, or teacher's assistant for a younger grade. They'll love being the smarty pants - and they'll positively use that overflow of intellectual buzz.

Water Sign Children - Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces:
If your child is a water sign they'll more than likely be the quieter ones in the classroom, and sensitive to the feelings of the teacher and their fellow students. Their vivid and fertile imaginations often cause them to be the ones called most often to come to the front of the classroom and read reports or tell stories. They are also the first to run to comfort a fellow student who is hurt or upset. The difficulty with water children is that their feelings are often easily hurt, especially by a bully. Water children sometimes come home in tears, declaring that they're never going back. It's important for parents of water children to keep convincing them that school is too important to be abandoned because of a spiteful kid. Getting them involved in art and music can be excellent ways to build their confidence.

Your Child's Sun Sign Quality:

Sun Signs are also divided into three qualities - cardinal, fixed, and mutable.

Cardinal Sign Children - Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn:
Children who are natives of cardinal signs often start their schoolwork assignments completely gung-ho. They pitch right in and get some of it done almost immediately. However, like the hare in the old fable, cardinal children tend to get easily distracted and lose interest, and thus take three times as long to complete the second half. Parents need to point out that every bit of schoolwork offers something vital - and insist continuously that their child do his or her best to keep up a steady pace until the assignment is done.

Fixed Sign Children - Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius:
Fixed sign children are like the tortoise in the fable. They are careful, and take pains to get every detail correct - even down to the way their letters are formed. They check their own spelling and answers to arithmetic problems, and, if they're doing a report, they make sure of their facts. The problem is that they may get so caught up in the details that they confuse themselves. Parents can help by teaching them how to concentrate on the whole rather than the sum of the parts.

Mutable Sign Children - Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces:
If your child is a mutable sign they can go either way. Often they tend to follow the lead of a cardinal or fixed friend - and sometimes have a hard time developing a method and a rhythm that's all their own. On the plus side, they can tailor their work in a way that they know will please the teacher. Parents need to study their children's work carefully and to glean indications of the child's own style - and then encourage their mutable child to develop it.

Woody1

Now I have to figure out what two sisters and Sun Signs and School and Bus schedules and etc. to understand why they fight over the bathroom in the am.???

Woody1

Quiz: Are You in the Right Career?

Are you wondering if you are in the right job or career? Nothing is more draining or less motivating than staying in a position because of inertia or fear of the unknown.

Wouldn’t it be better to find out and decide whether or not to take action? Then you can plan what steps you need to undertake before you start your job search efforts.

The career quiz below will help you judge whether your career is on track. Answer yes or no to the following questions. Each yes answer counts as one point. Compare your point total to the scoring key at the bottom.

1. I look forward to going to work.

2. I talk about my work in a positive way.

3. I have mentored a junior colleague or want to.

4. I don’t fear layoff or termination, as I have a portfolio of skills to draw upon.

5. I know how to network and market myself to my best advantage.

6. People seek me out to ask career advice.

7. I’ve achieved a good balance in my life between work and play.

8. Money is not the driving force in deciding my next career move.

9. I am learning from, and enjoy working with, my team or co-workers.

10. If self-employed, I have a network of professionals who I can turn to for advice and encouragement.

11. I feel excited about my upcoming projects, as they engage me creatively.

12. When I face a setback at work, I am able to recover quickly as I have a reserve of energy and self-confidence.

13. I am self-motivated and generate much of my “to do” list at work.

14. I have a well-written, up-to-date résumé.

15. I feel positive about my future job prospects.

16. I know where I’d like to be in five years.

17. I know where I’d like to be in one year.

18. I’m being compensated fairly.

19. I respect my boss.

20. I am able to work productively with my co-workers (or clients), even those who are difficult.

21. I know how to deal effectively with office politics.

22. I have the training I need to do my job well.

23. My boss is supportive and has provided me with opportunities to learn and grow.

24. I’m working with a company (or client) that has integrity.

25. I attend professional/trade association meetings to stay up-to-date in my field.

Scoring Key:

21-25 Points
Wow. Congratulations, you love your work! Never stop improving. Consider taking a seminar or learning a new language.

16-20 Points
You’re doing well; this is a very good score. Speak with your boss about new opportunities or challenges you might undertake.

11-15 Points
You’re doing okay, but there’s room for improvement. Join a professional organization to grow your network and get information about other opportunities that may exist in your industry.

6-10 Points
Yes, there’s work to do. Tap into your network of colleagues and friends to discuss other career areas of interest. Seek out a mentor
to get support and a broader perspective.

0-5 Points
You are not alone. It takes time and desire to find the right livelihood. Use this quiz as a starting point to pinpoint the changes you want to make. Consider taking a career assessment and/or working with a career coach to help you clarify your career goals. Know that many have successfully transitioned to careers and jobs they love.

Dale Kurow, M.S., is an author and a career and executive coach in New York City. Dale works with clients across the U.S. and internationally, helping them to survive office politics, become better managers, or figure out their next career moves. Visit Dale’s Web site at http://www.dalekurow.com to sign-up for her free Career Essentials e-zine, chocked full of career tips and strategies.