PRODUCT: 2 Tudor, 2006 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/26/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid

Looking forward to this!

barkingkitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barkingkitty

$55 each on the Tudor Website, makes this a very sweet deal!

“ I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it. “ ~ Kathryn Stockett

WaltW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW
barkingkitty wrote:$55 each on the Tudor Website, makes this a very sweet deal!

88 pts on CT -- a little salt in the sugar!!

Arf, arf.

barkingkitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barkingkitty

This is my first Woot-Off and I was quite happy to see TN on the list for this winery. In for one, and hope to find another one or two that I just can't live without.

“ I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it. “ ~ Kathryn Stockett

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Anybody have notes from the previous wooting or recent drinkings of this wine?

Edit: The CT notes are generally unhelpful since most seem to be from those who do not drink much PN. "Sourness" in wine can be anything, including a flaw in the bottle.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

CT notes are all over the place...but after a few years of reading about Tudor wines on this board i'm in!

BTW nice selection of wines in this wootoff WD

Last wooter to woot: tytiger58

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

Previous wooting was with this and the 2005 Santa Lucia PN, for $45 shipped. The extra $10/bottle for 2.5 years of proper age and storage seems fair to me. I'm leaning toward getting this one. Anderson Valley PN is great...I'd just like to hear a more recent tasting note.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

xxtbonexx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxtbonexx

my first woot-off purchase- looks too good to pass up. looking forward to receiving this one!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

His Santa Lucia Highland PN were pH 3.3-3.5 or something which is great. Dan talks about acid as if he knows about it, which is great. Which also means CT users on average won't understand it as it's likely more classically-balanced, not heavy and fruity.

Dan, or anyone, we have any stats for puissance d'Hydrogen on this one too?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

For the pinot drinkers out there...Is younger better or not? For some of the other reds, longer in the bottle can mean softer, better tannins, etc. So, what should we expect out of an '06?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

So why is this a black tie but woodenhead zin was not? Has there ever been a zin black tie? Is zin being discrimated against? Or, are black ties arbitrary? Bring it.

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

losthighwayz wrote:So why is this a black tie but woodenhead zin was not? Has there ever been a zin black tie? Is zin being discrimated against? Or, are black ties arbitrary? Bring it.

Arbitrary, usually something that's "special" due to either price, availability, big name, etc. No real significance to it, to be honest.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
jmdavidson wrote:For the pinot drinkers out there...Is younger better or not? For some of the other reds, longer in the bottle can mean softer, better tannins, etc. So, what should we expect out of an '06?

Pretty spot on for one with good acidity. I'm not sure of that stat on this one, but I've already switched over to this account in preparation for perhaps buying a woot or two of it!
A good tight European PN starts to get good at around 7-10 years, and can peak between then and 15 years, and even last longer. But some are for drinking youngish, but no decent ones will be dead after 6 years! They don't really last as long as Cabs, but can go long if they're really really good. I just drank a 2000 Grand Cru Burgundy last November and, while it was lovely, I reckon I'd rather have drunk it in 5 years' time! I'd guesstimate without having drunk this that if it's of the style and quality I expect, given the data so far available, that the 06 is in a good spot now, but will improve for 3 or 4 more years or so.

Dan Tudor said of previous wines" If you like perfectly balanced, medium weight, classic, aromatic pinot noir that has tons of complexity and flavor components yet velvety tannins that keep you reaching for the glass, then you'll love our pinot noirs. "
I like to call my pinots 'like Burgundy but with lots of fruit'. They're classic medium weight pinot but with bright ripe fruit. No high alcohol fruit bombs or wimpy light wines either.

and wooters' reports support this.

___

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
jmdavidson wrote:For the pinot drinkers out there...Is younger better or not? For some of the other reds, longer in the bottle can mean softer, better tannins, etc. So, what should we expect out of an '06?

This harkens back to various threads regarding a 'dumb' phase, and varying opinions as to when it may begin and how long it may last. Alas, the synapses to my grey matter aren't firing well this evening, but I seem to recall comments of 6-10 years duration, but not when it may begin. Correct me please.

[edit] Humm, searching the archives I'm finding this is more for Cab and P.S.

CT

klezman

richardhod wrote:His Santa Lucia Highland PN were pH 3.303.5 or something which is great. Dan talks about acid as if he knows about it, which is great. Which also means CT users on average won't understand it as it's likely more classically-balanced, not heavy and fruity.

Dan, or anyone, we have any stats for puissance d'Hydrogen on this one too?

He also said he added a bit of tartaric to the SLH, but not to the Anderson Valley. That would suggest to me that he aims for this range.

richardhod

klezman wrote:He also said he added a bit of tartaric to the SLH, but not to the Anderson Valley. That would suggest to me that he aims for this range.

That pushed me over. In for two, and I have a high bar for quality at the moment for purchases. Reading back, it seems this will be good. I'll let you have one if you don't want to do a whole woot. I think partly it was talking about that Burgundy we had that made me thirsty for Pinot.

richardhod

rjquillin wrote:This harkens back to various threads regarding a 'dumb' phase, and varying opinions as to when it may begin and how long it may last. Alas, the synapses to my grey matter aren't firing well this evening, but I seem to recall comments of 6-10 years duration, but not when it may begin. Correct me please.

If you insist
No, that's for Cabs and PS (NOT PN). PN doesn't go dumb AFAIK, but the best ones can take some age and / or decanting to open up. I'm not talking about the high pH easy-drinking big ones, or typical RRV-style ones, but more the classic ones. All generalisations are false, of course!

This one likely drinks nicely now, but if it's as good as I hope I might hang onto some for 5 years.

klezman

richardhod wrote:That pushed me over. In for two, and I have a high bar for quality at the moment for purchases. Reading back, it seems this will be good. I'll let you have one if you don't want to do a whole woot. I think partly it was talking about that Burgundy we had that made me thirsty for Pinot.

Well now you're just trying to push me over the edge Also, he said pH 3.3 on the AV and 3.5 on the SLH...making this 3.3.
How do you decide under which account to make your purchase?

richardhod

klezman wrote:Well now you're just trying to push me over the edge
How do you decide under which account to make your purchase?

Address to be delivered two. One hardwired into my mailbox, the other to my wine storage!

I am somewhat miffed that wine.woot doesn't have a "gift" option, however, as I have to change the address and re-type my cc EVERY time I want to gift wine or other wine.woot goodies. And they still get the damn receipt, which I'd rather they didn't!

The wise part of me says you can have half of my two-woot if you like (2 bottles) and you have more time to consider it now!

klezman

richardhod wrote:Address to be delivered two. One hardwired into my mailbox, the other to my wine storage!

I am somewhat miffed that wine.woot doesn't have a "gift" option, however, as I have to change the address and re-type my cc EVERY time I want to gift wine or other wine.woot goodies. And they still get the damn receipt, which I'd rather they didn't!

The wise part of me says you can have half of my two-woot if you like (2 bottles) and you have more time to consider it now!

There is definitely a gifting option...right under the credit card option. I can prevent it from asking me to re-enter all of the above by never changing my billing address, even if I send the package there.

The wise part of me also says to take you up on that offer, but the rest of me says having one soon and one in a couple years would be a better vinous choice.

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

losthighwayz wrote:So why is this a black tie but woodenhead zin was not? Has there ever been a zin black tie? Is zin being discrimated against? Or, are black ties arbitrary? Bring it.

i thought the woodenhead would have been a black tie too.

WineDavid was my Boss!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

3.3-3.5 PH and not to high ABV pushed me over, should balance out the Cali fruit nicely...I'm hoping anyway. Everything I like in my new found Pinot Palate

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

richardhod

tytiger58 wrote:3.3-3.5 PH and not to high ABV pushed me over, should balance out the Cali fruit nicely...I'm hoping anyway. Everything I like in my new found Pinot Palate

This has been the "I really should buy this" wine I've missed so far on woot.

Found more DT on this:
"The Anderson Valley produces world class pinot noir fruit. The winemaker's job is just not to screw up the potential he/she starts with. Most of this '06 Tudor AV ava pinot is from one vineyard high above Philo on the ridge top. The vines are quite old and the site is low in vigor. This combination tends to produce really classic Burgundian old school style pinot noir. Pinot that tastes like pinot noir : ) Rutherford Grill served it by the glass for quite a while at I believe $16/glass."

Exactly what I want. Someone said "earthy".

EDIT: more interesting posts fro the same source:
"The 06's are drinking really great. They're incredible and really needed a few years before they should be released."
About a year ago we raised our retail prices on all our Tudor and Radog wines. This wine is $55 at the winery. With very wealthy Chinese buying up most of our wines now and the quality clearly at the top of the category we decided to actually make a profit after 12 years of making killer pinots. It's a steal at $30 bottle : ) Enjoy!

klezman

richardhod wrote:This has been the "I really should buy this" wine I've missed so far on woot.

Found more DT on this:
"The Anderson Valley produces world class pinot noir fruit. The winemaker's job is just not to screw up the potential he/she starts with. Most of this '06 Tudor AV ava pinot is from one vineyard high above Philo on the ridge top. The vines are quite old and the site is low in vigor. This combination tends to produce really classic Burgundian old school style pinot noir. Pinot that tastes like pinot noir : ) Rutherford Grill served it by the glass for quite a while at I believe $16/glass."

Exactly what I want. Someone said "earthy".

*sigh* You got me. Just waiting to see if cmaldoon wants to share in shipping costs if he's going in on this too.

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
tytiger58 wrote:CT notes are all over the place...but after a few years of reading about Tudor wines on this board i'm in!

BTW nice selection of wines in this wootoff WD

Last wooter to woot: tytiger58

My wallet would agree with you on the wine selection. Thanks WD

richardhod

klezman wrote:There is definitely a gifting option...right under the credit card option. I can prevent it from asking me to re-enter all of the above by never changing my billing address, even if I send the package there.

The wise part of me also says to take you up on that offer, but the rest of me says having one soon and one in a couple years would be a better vinous choice.

So there is! Hmmm, well maybe it's got lost by my browser, as I didn't see it last time!

My aesthete side wants to keep all of these for myself, (and whoever is so lucky to be there when they get opened, and usually this quality is reserved for very good dinners and high holidays) so you can see the problem! But.. I could cert let you have one if you only want one!

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

How does this compare to the PN's from Williams-Selyem and Copain, currently my two favorite Pinot producers?

klezman

richardhod wrote:(and whoever is so lucky to be there when they get opened, and usually this quality is reserved for very good dinners and high holidays)

High holidays? You're not Jewish...

richardhod

klezman wrote:High holidays? You're not Jewish...

Only Jews have high holidays? I'd better tell everyone who's been celebrating Easter, Christmas, Ash Wednesday and so on that they were actually working that day! It appears the word is not as narrowly used as you believe! It means "high holy days", which several religions have :smile:

and anyway, at leas in SoCal, I believe 4-20 is a high holiday 8-)

zachusaf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachusaf
klezman wrote:*sigh* You got me. Just waiting to see if cmaldoon wants to share in shipping costs if he's going in on this too.

Last wooter to woot: zachusaf

looks like he got two of us

NoVA
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
richardhod wrote:If you insist
No, that's for Cabs and PS (NOT PN). PN doesn't go dumb AFAIK, but the best ones can take some age and / or decanting to open up. I'm not talking about the high pH easy-drinking big ones, or typical RRV-style ones, but more the classic ones. All generalisations are false, of course!

This one likely drinks nicely now, but if it's as good as I hope I might hang onto some for 5 years.

Enablers, you are all enablers.

CT

klezman

richardhod wrote:Only Jews have high holidays? I'd better tell everyone who's been celebrating Easter, Christmas, Ash Wednesday and so on that they were actually working that day! It appears the word is not as narrowly used as you believe! It means "high holy days", which several religions have :smile:

and anyway, at leas in SoCal, I believe 4-20 is a high holiday 8-)

Just never heard a non-Jew use that term...

richardhod

klezman wrote:Just never heard a non-Jew use that term...

Well I've noticed we're freer with our vocabulary where I come from. If I had a groat for the number of times I've been asked by Californians what a relatively innocuous word means...