WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Emery Estate Sonoma Valley Red 2-Pack

Speed to First Woot:
6m 39.000s
First Sucker:
justinacton
Last Wooter to Woot:
mwconnelly
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 27% of Wine Woots
Bottom 31% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 43% of Wine Woots
Bottom 43% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 10% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 21% < 10 woots
  • 26% < 25 woots
  • 39% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 8% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 18% one year old
  • 71% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 83% bought 1
  • 12% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
3%
2%
0%
0%
0%
3%
10%
12%
12%
10%
6%
2%
4%
4%
6%
2%
0%
2%
3%
1%
0%
4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Cesare


quality posts: 1644 Private Messages Cesare

Emery Estate Sonoma Valley Red 2-Pack
$44.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
1 2006 Deborah Factor Cabernet Sauvignon
1 2007 Sonoma Valley Estate Syrah
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook

Previous offer:
10/18/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Fruit bombs that admit to being fruit bombs!

I'm working double shifts this entire month = more money and more work. I deserve these. Those of you who know me know I am in on this because of the first sentence of this post.

Thanks WD. Love this offer.

Edit:

Emery Estate Sonoma Valley Red 2-Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: justinacton
Speed to first woot: 6m 39.923s
Last wooter to woot: kylemittskus

Always good to see my name in the big lights!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

Found an interesting story on Emery Estate. Apparently the founders of some social networking site named Bebo bought it. But they didn't get the brand, just the land. Is this being sold off because the Emery brand now has no fruit source?

Incidentally, Bebo was sold for $850 million to AOL according to Wikipedia. And now it is basically defunct. Not bad flipping a worthless company for hundreds of millions of $$$.

But you know what they say--the best way to make a million in wine is to start with ten! AOL showed the way with Bebo that the best way to make a hundred million in a .com is to start with a billion. I guess the internet and wine aren't that different afterall.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

cpheral


quality posts: 3 Private Messages cpheral

Too bad it can’t be delivered to Indiana. The day the legislation changes is the day I go broke.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

60% new oak on the Cab, seems high. Does come through as pretty Oaky or has it mellowed with some time in the bottle?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

And of course, drinking window?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Anyone know of a good place I can find jerseys or shoes cheap?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
North316 wrote:Anyone know of a good place I can find jerseys or shoes cheap?



What, no Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) for you?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

sdfreedive


quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

I like fruit bombs. I'm tired of wines that pride themselves on tasting like dirt. If I wanted dirt I'd drink southern California tap water.

In for one.


Emery Estate Sonoma Valley Red 2-Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: justinacton
Speed to first woot: 6m 39.923s
Last wooter to woot: sdfreedive

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
North316 wrote:60% new oak on the Cab, seems high. Does come through as pretty Oaky or has it mellowed with some time in the bottle?



The oak component has mellowed dramatically. Being that the new oak component is predominately french it has integrated we into the wine. Not as edgy or pronounced as American Oak would have been if it had been the majority with this wine.

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
North316 wrote:And of course, drinking window?



This is a rather subjective response but the Syrah right now. The DF is good now and for the next 3-4 years. Cheers

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
emeryestate wrote:This is a rather subjective response but the Syrah right now. The DF is good now and for the next 3-4 years. Cheers



Thanks. It's always a subjective question, highly based on preference, but being at the winery you get to open this whenever you want and see how it is evolving, so always great to get the perspective of someone in the know.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
North316 wrote:Thanks. It's always a subjective question, highly based on preference, but being at the winery you get to open this whenever you want and see how it is evolving, so always great to get the perspective of someone in the know.



I quite enjoy that aspect of my job.

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Love the new oak %s - entirely appropriate for extracted Sonoma big reds - but are the rs really .4 and .7? curious.

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
stillmanbrown wrote:Love the new oak %s - entirely appropriate for extracted Sonoma big reds - but are the rs really .4 and .7? curious.



I believe they are actually lower than that respectively. I believe they are actually 0.3 g/L on the CS and 0.4 g/L on the Syrah.

JanFP


quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

Minor hijack - the salted caramels are on regular woot, for those of you who normally don't go there, like me. After crying last week that I didn't order 3 boxes in December, I'm now a very happy wooter.

Back to your wine discussion now...

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
JanFP wrote:Minor hijack - the salted caramels are on regular woot, for those of you who normally don't go there, like me. After crying last week that I didn't order 3 boxes in December, I'm now a very happy wooter.

Back to your wine discussion now...



How would this wine pair with the salted caramels? I finally gave in and purchased some this time around. I do think they will go nicely with any of the three port/forte's I have though.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
North316 wrote:How would this wine pair with the salted caramels? I finally gave in and purchased some this time around. I do think they will go nicely with any of the three port/forte's I have though.



Not sure about that pairing. Maybe one of the wooters on staff can answer that.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
stillmanbrown wrote:Love the new oak %s - entirely appropriate for extracted Sonoma big reds - but are the rs really .4 and .7? curious.



Wow! I didn't even see the RS numbers. Say it isn't so! Those numbers would put these into the really sweet, grocery store wine category.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

Emery also offered the lesser Unbridled Cabernet here back in October. The overall quality should be better with the Deborah and Syrah, but you can gather some hints about the winemaking style from the comments there.

http://wine.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=19745

Residual sugar was listed as 0.9 on Unbridled, for comparison. On paper, all of these are quite high. Anything near 1.0 is Riesling territory. Most dry reds are 0.1 or 0.2, but can be discernible at 0.3 and 0.4. However, in self-admitted fruit bombs, it doesn't necessarily make the wine "sweet". Turley, for instance, frequently tops 1.0. It's just hard to get them to finish at high alcohols, and as anyone knows who's had Turley, it can become part of the style of the wine. I personally enjoy it on well-made wine.

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
kanarfaki1 wrote:Emery also offered the lesser Unbridled Cabernet here back in October. The overall quality should be better with the Deborah and Syrah, but you can gather some hints about the winemaking style from the comments there.

http://wine.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=19745

Residual sugar was listed as 0.9 on Unbridled, for comparison. On paper, all of these are quite high. Anything near 1.0 is Riesling territory. Most dry reds are 0.1 or 0.2, but can be discernible at 0.3 and 0.4. However, in self-admitted fruit bombs, it doesn't necessarily make the wine "sweet". Turley, for instance, frequently tops 1.0. It's just hard to get them to finish at high alcohols, and as anyone knows who's had Turley, it can become part of the style of the wine. I personally enjoy it on well-made wine.



I think we are having some decimal place issues here. 0,09 on the Unbridled. I need to clarify this with Wine woot. None of the Emery wines have high residual sugars or out of the norm. Could have been a missprint going from the lab to Winewoot on our end.

chipgreen


quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
kanarfaki1 wrote:
Residual sugar was listed as 0.9 on Unbridled, for comparison.



The pH was 3.67 for the Unbridled and it had a similar alcohol content to these two (15.13%).

It was described as fruity in lab rat reports and at least one CT note but I didn't see anyone mention the word "sweet" so maybe the acid, alcohol level and tannins helped balance it out. Would be curious to know the pH for the Cab and Syrah.

EDIT: Or maybe it was the fact that the RS was 0.09 not 0.9 haha

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate

Hello Wooters, I am heading out to finish up our pruning. I'll be back in a few hours to respond to any questions or comments. Thank you all for your comments.

kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

I'm pretty sure Unbridled listing said 0.9 g/L, not 0.09. But you're right - pH, tannins, and especially alcohols can affect perception of this. I suspect it's not an issue with these wines in today's offering, more on the fruity perception than actual sweetness.

EDIT: This was not targeted to Derek, who I'm sure knows the data on his wines better than any of us. Just more that the old Unbridled posting says 0.9 (which might be wrong). If we just hang tight, it'll get addressed.

I can't find details on the pH for Deborah Factor or The Double...just their standard estate Cab (which might be the same wine(s)?). Anyhow, standard estate Cab is 3.62.

kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

Derek, can you explain the difference between the Unbridled Cab, estate Cab, Deborah Cab, and The Double Cab (if these are all distinct wines)?

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:The pH was 3.67 for the Unbridled and it had a similar alcohol content to these two (15.13%).

It was described as fruity in lab rat reports and at least one CT note but I didn't see anyone mention the word "sweet" so maybe the acid, alcohol level and tannins helped balance it out. Would be curious to know the pH for the Cab and Syrah.

EDIT: Or maybe it was the fact that the RS was 0.09 not 0.9 haha



...I tasted both of these as well as the Unbridled. Nothing sweet about these wines.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
neilfindswine wrote:...I tasted both of these as well as the Unbridled. Nothing sweet about these wines.



But alas, how would they pair with the salted caramels?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

redredwine67


quality posts: 14 Private Messages redredwine67

If this is the Estate Cab it is $70 a bottle, The Syrah is $28 a bottle. $98 or $45 seems like a no brainer for a good price.

kagayaki1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

Nice! 15% discount code for other orders from their site in the winemaker voicemail, give it a listen.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
North316 wrote:But alas, how would they pair with the salted caramels?



You have a one track mind ;) Chocolate <--> Wine
(Not like that's a bad thing ;))

BTW, re your question for shoes, try zappos.com & shoebuy.com

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

North316 wrote:But alas, how would they pair with the salted caramels?



Not sure about that pairing. Maybe one of the other wooters on staff can answer that.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

emeryestate wrote:I believe they are actually lower than that respectively. I believe they are actually 0.3 g/L on the CS and 0.4 g/L on the Syrah.



Have adjusted. Not sure where the typo came from; clearly it was not my Mac; must have been your PC.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
redredwine67 wrote:If this is the Estate Cab it is $70 a bottle, The Syrah is $28 a bottle. $98 or $45 seems like a no brainer for a good price.



From what I can tell, this is not the Estate Cab. The Deborah Factor Cab is only listed on their site as part of some of the gift packs. Couldn't find pricing on just this cab.

CT doesn't show an avg value for either the cab or the syrah...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

sfabian37


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

I think I found the price and link he was talking about.

Cab But, this is the Estate bottle, not the Deborah Factor

Also found this helpful note that has suggested ratail for the 2006 Deborah Factor at $55
http://www.emeryestate.com/assets/client/File/tech%2006%20df.pdf

sfabian37


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

This made me laugh... and angry at the same time. Here is a quote from today's regular Woot.com site. How do you guys feel about this?


"In my opinion, wine.woot is w-a-y overpriced, too because, as we all know, wine is really only fermented grape juice, and that's super easy to make at home.

You know, those snobby wine people go on-and-on about "varieties of grapes" and how stupid things like "soil" and "barrel wood" and "weather conditions" supposedly impact the taste of the final product. Hogwash! We all know that in the end, it's just grape juice that was tweaked a little.

All you need is some grape juice (the local food warehouse has big bottles of it real cheap) and some yeast. You can buy that at the grocery store. Throw some yeast into the grape juice, throw the cap back on, and let it sit for awhile at room temp. Strain out the junk, and -voila- you have wine that is every bit as good as they sell at the 7-11 - only cheaper because you're so much smarter than those high-faultin' "professionals".

No need to buy that expensive stuff on wine.woot. You have exactly the same thing"

yorknh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
sfabian37 wrote:This made me laugh... and angry at the same time. Here is a quote from today's regular Woot.com site. How do you guys feel about this?


"In my opinion, wine.woot is w-a-y overpriced, too because, as we all know, wine is really only fermented grape juice, and that's super easy to make at home.

You know, those snobby wine people go on-and-on about "varieties of grapes" and how stupid things like "soil" and "barrel wood" and "weather conditions" supposedly impact the taste of the final product. Hogwash! We all know that in the end, it's just grape juice that was tweaked a little.

All you need is some grape juice (the local food warehouse has big bottles of it real cheap) and some yeast. You can buy that at the grocery store. Throw some yeast into the grape juice, throw the cap back on, and let it sit for awhile at room temp. Strain out the junk, and -voila- you have wine that is every bit as good as they sell at the 7-11 - only cheaper because you're so much smarter than those high-faultin' "professionals".

No need to buy that expensive stuff on wine.woot. You have exactly the same thing"



Yeah and boom boxes produce the same audio experience as Martin Logan speakers.
VHS is every bit as good as blu-ray.
Dandelions smell as good as peonies.
Canvas is just as comfortable as silk.


Now that I think about it, that poster was right.

Xaotl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xaotl
sfabian37 wrote:This made me laugh... and angry at the same time. Here is a quote from today's regular Woot.com site. How do you guys feel about this?


"In my opinion, wine.woot is w-a-y overpriced, too because, as we all know, wine is really only fermented grape juice, and that's super easy to make at home.

You know, those snobby wine people go on-and-on about "varieties of grapes" and how stupid things like "soil" and "barrel wood" and "weather conditions" supposedly impact the taste of the final product. Hogwash! We all know that in the end, it's just grape juice that was tweaked a little.

All you need is some grape juice (the local food warehouse has big bottles of it real cheap) and some yeast. You can buy that at the grocery store. Throw some yeast into the grape juice, throw the cap back on, and let it sit for awhile at room temp. Strain out the junk, and -voila- you have wine that is every bit as good as they sell at the 7-11 - only cheaper because you're so much smarter than those high-faultin' "professionals".

No need to buy that expensive stuff on wine.woot. You have exactly the same thing"




You've got to read a little further back, they were being sarcastic because someone was downplaying what goes into good chocolate. That was how I took it anyway.

emeryestate


quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeryestate
kanarfaki1 wrote:Derek, can you explain the difference between the Unbridled Cab, estate Cab, Deborah Cab, and The Double Cab (if these are all distinct wines)?



I most certainly can. The Unbridled is a kick the door in entry Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon which is made with each vintage. The Emery Estate and the Emery Deborah Factor are two distinct wines in that the Deborah Factor (DF) is made in a New World Style, lots of fruit, extraction and typically higher alcohol. On the other hand, the Emery Estate is made more for an old world palate, someone looking for more nuance, finesse and not as in your face as the DF. That help? To answer another of the questions, both the DF and Emery Estate are not always produced every vintage. All depends on the growing conditions and the fruit as it enters the winery.

vannknight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vannknight

So which Cab is in this offering the Estate or the DF? The listing states the DF cab but the picture is of the Estate.