CONDITION: Smooth
PRODUCT: 1 Vella Dry Monterey Jack Cheese, approximately 2 pounds

Website

Previous offer:
10/20/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

psumek

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psumek

Wonder if this will be in before Xmas? I have to catch the red-eye on the 24th and wouldn't mind bringing this back for the family.

svwindom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages svwindom

$46 including shipping on the website, so ~45% off. I don't know this cheese but local artisan cheeses tend to sell for $16-$20/lb; if it's as tasty as it sounds on the website it's a good deal.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

According to all the folks who were upset that it wasn't this cheese when it was the olive oil, its supposed to be pretty darn good. I'm in for one based on all the comments last night.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

psumek wrote:Wonder if this will be in before Xmas? I have to catch the red-eye on the 24th and wouldn't mind bringing this back for the family.

yes it will be delivered well before 24th.

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor

The lack of wine this week is certainly helping my storage issues and bank account.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

$10/pound for cheese this good is rather good value.

Got any Wensleydale?

psumek

Winedavid39 wrote:yes it will be delivered well before 24th.

Awesome! In for a wedge.

smigette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smigette

There was a four pack a couple months back from Vella that was really good. I still have a little of Garlic Jack left. I know this style of cheese is a little different, but so far I give the Vella brand two thumbs up.

SiliconMage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SiliconMage
smigette wrote:There was a four pack a couple months back from Vella that was really good. I still have a little of Garlic Jack left. I know this style of cheese is a little different, but so far I give the Vella brand two thumbs up.

I am eating some of that right now. I'm in for two on this hard cheese.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
svwindom wrote:$46 including shipping on the website, so ~45% off. I don't know this cheese but local artisan cheeses tend to sell for $16-$20/lb; if it's as tasty as it sounds on the website it's a good deal.

This has been one of my absolute favorite cheeses for almost 40 years. It is a great match with a wide variety of wines and beers. We get ours at the source, where they cut it to order.

hellpaso

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hellpaso

This is awesome cheese--years ago, we used to bring it back from wine country. Can't buy it here, so I'm in for 3! Now if we could just please get some more Point Reyes Farmhouse!

"this is the best costume for the day"
little edie beale--grey gardens (1976)

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:This has been one of my absolute favorite cheeses for almost 40 years. It is a great match with a wide variety of wines and beers. We get ours at the source, where they cut it to order.

Oh yes, I bougth it last Christmas becausse of Peter's recommendation and wasn't disappointed! Sadly, one of my pieces was stolen from my car (along with the radio) in South London.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

Perhaps Cheddar

Two gifts down today - that hopefully I will be able to share!

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

Can i get impressions on the flavor?

psumek

hellpaso wrote:This is awesome cheese--years ago, we used to bring it back from wine country. Can't buy it here, so I'm in for 3! Now if we could just please get some more Point Reyes Farmhouse!

i want the beehive back. That was solid stuff. I can get it locally @ Whole Foods, but still.

emschelle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages emschelle
Winedavid39 wrote:yes it will be delivered well before 24th.

Huzzah! Because my grandpa doesn't take kindly to rain checks on gifts...=)

hellpaso

psumek wrote:i want the beehive back. That was solid stuff. I can get it locally @ Whole Foods, but still.

I got a Dean & DeLuca catalog the other day that had a basket with Beehive for some absurd price. I still have some from the last time it was on woot. Good stuff.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Got two heading my way! Love gift week--really cuts down on the mall insanity. The only problem is that I end up doubling all of my orders so I have my own!

bh1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bh1234

I'm a good cheese newb. Do i keep this in the fridge? Dry cupboard? How long will it keep and can I just cut off mold that occurs?

Provided it lasts that long ;)

Thanks.

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

Love the cheese....any chance of seeing Cypress Grove Chevre on here again?

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Is this made with raw milk?

lnljuly

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnljuly

Can someone provide an estimate of timing for shipping and delivery?

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
bh1234 wrote:I'm a good cheese newb. Do i keep this in the fridge? Dry cupboard? How long will it keep and can I just cut off mold that occurs?

Thanks.

It will arrive shrink-wrapped... you can keep it unopened in your veggie bin for months... after opening it I would wrap it lightly in parchment or butcher paper and put inside a zip seal bag, but only zip it half-closed and keep it in the veggie bin... it should last you, well, until you finish it!...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil
bh1234 wrote:I'm a good cheese newb. Do i keep this in the fridge? Dry cupboard? How long will it keep and can I just cut off mold that occurs?

Thanks.

Cheese does well refrigerated, just make sure to allow for it to settle down to room temperature when eating some of it. It allows for the fat content in the cheese to do its thing, giving it some more flavor and creaminess.

llrpurch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages llrpurch
hellpaso wrote: Now if we could just please get some more Point Reyes Farmhouse!

HearHear to that!

charliekwalker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charliekwalker

In for 1, I love quality cheese.

gabevella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages gabevella

Good Morning/afternoon Wooters!
I just logged in and will try to answer any questions you may have. I will check back periodically through the day. From all of my family -Thank you, Happy Holidays & Happy Wooting!

gabevella

Nate650 wrote:Is this made with raw milk?

No, this cheese is made with pasteurized milk.

truthbtold1331

quality posts: 1 Private Messages truthbtold1331

I recommend not trying to eat all of this in one sitting...TMI?

Tc-99m

migwit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages migwit

In for 3, one for me and two for gifts. Definitely an awesome deal! Three of these would've been $138 purchased off Vella's website. Woot price: just under $65! Thanks Wine.woot!

t3hbigv

quality posts: 4 Private Messages t3hbigv
southcutt wrote:Look! Olive oil!

^This

cgoudie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cgoudie

Is this cheese pasteurized? I could eat it all day, but my missus and I are expecting, and I'm told no unpasteurized cheeses, no matter how delicious they sound.

Edit: Ah, I see the answer above is yes. We're in for 3

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

I ordered the Box of Jacks from Vella when it was on Woot a couple weeks ago.

Very disappointed with the shipping. Shipped without any sort of cooling method whatsoever on a warmish week (not to mention it spent 5 days in transit). Tossed the cheese in the fridge and it was fine to eat of course, and still flavored well, but it adopted a very unpalatable rubbery texture.

I think I'll pass on this one.

timothydwyer1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timothydwyer1
llrpurch wrote:HearHear to that!

The Farmhouse was great, but the Original Blue was da Bomb.

timothytim

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Still haven't cracked into my 4 pk from a few months ago - I need to do that...

Anyway, if you Woot folks decide to offer a good parmesan reggiano or cheddar (especially smoked) I'll be in for 3 without thinking!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

hellpaso

GABEVELLA--Is there any way we can have this shipped with extra ice?

gabevella

greydevil wrote:Can i get impressions on the flavor?

One of the original American artisan cheeses, with magnificent depth of flavor nearly rivaling that of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Slightly milder, though, and much less salty. Sweet and sharp with a nutty flavor.