$54.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Kosher
PRODUCT: 3 2004 Herzog Special Reserve Syrah, Edna Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

What the H.ell? Thursdays are supposed to be gourmet food days. More wine?

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I've had this in both this and other vintages ('05 and '06, mostly thanks to Wine Library/Cinderella Wine.

This is well-worth the money even at 25-28, and is a steal at this price.

Highly, highly, highly recommended, even for those of you for whom Kashrut is not an issue at any point.

The only problem with the offer is that it won't arrive on Monday!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

jiahau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jiahau

I think it's because Passover is coming up.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
PetiteSirah wrote:I've had this in both this and other vintages ('05 and '06, mostly thanks to Wine Library/Cinderella Wine.

This is well-worth the money even at 25-28, and is a steal at this price.

Highly, highly, highly recommended, even for those of you for whom Kashrut is not an issue at any point.

The only problem with the offer is that it won't arrive on Monday!

It does say to arrive in time for Passover and Easter. I'd be in for a set but no delivery to AZ

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

no voice note today???

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

I actually shared a bottle of the 2003 Herzog Special Reserve Syrah with Richardhod when he visited last fall - one of many that night, so my notes are terse: "9/24/2010 rated 88 points: A very interesting style - restrained and acidic. Some fruit hiding behind earthiness and leather. Interesting, but probably near its peak."

We were both of the opinion that it was a very restrained, Rhône-like style, and probably could have used a bit more decanting than it was given (that is, little to none). In fact, my subjective memory is that it was somewhat similar to the '06 Wellington England Crest I'm sipping right now, albeit much less brawny in character and a little less weighty in mouthfeel.

The kashrut process (which, as I understand it, is little more than gentle pasteurization, though I'm sure it must be more complicated) doesn't harm the texture, flavor, or character of the wine at all, but, much like FedEx leaving your case of wine in their hot aluminum toaster van all day, it does eliminate any possibility of substantial aging. I suspect these 2004's need to be drank this year, at the latest.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

jdd6013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdd6013

First Passover WOOT!

SirDeath

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SirDeath

This wine was served on a Holland America Line cruise I was on last summer. The quality is excellent. Most of the people I talked to, agreed with me opinion that this wine goes better with lamb or veal than beef. Also the balance of tannins is just about as perfect as it gets.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
k1avg wrote:In fact, my subjective memory is that it was somewhat similar to the '06 Wellington England Crest I'm sipping right now, albeit much less brawny in character and a little less weighty in mouthfeel.

Realizing that the Wellington was almost half-the-Woot-price of the Herzogs here, I can't in good faith recommend these for value. But, like PS, I do think it's something worth trying and likely to please whether or not you keep kosher.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

SirDeath

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SirDeath

FYI: This wine is, indeed, flash pasteurized. This has minimal effect on aging potential. The process basically involves heating the wine for 15 to 30 seconds to 72 °C to 74 °C while flowing. It is then rapidly cooled in a matter of seconds to a temperature not exceeding 20 °C.

pearlrc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pearlrc

Looking this wine up on Herzog's site indicates it as "non-mevushal." http://www.shopherzog.com/Product/Wines/Library_Wines/2004_Herzog_Special_Reserve_Syrah,_Edna_Valley_04SRSY.html
Mevushal is the specific step you spoke of in "cooking" or gently pasteurizing the wine. So this wine is indeed Kosher but since it isn't Kosher Mevushal is not heated in any specific way (aside from the fedex truck notion). And also, at a list price on their site of $40/bottle, this seems like a nice deal.

k1avg wrote:I actually shared a bottle of the 2003 Herzog Special Reserve Syrah with Richardhod when he visited last fall - one of many that night, so my notes are terse: "9/24/2010 rated 88 points: A very interesting style - restrained and acidic. Some fruit hiding behind earthiness and leather. Interesting, but probably near its peak."

We were both of the opinion that it was a very restrained, Rhône-like style, and probably could have used a bit more decanting than it was given (that is, little to none). In fact, my subjective memory is that it was somewhat similar to the '06 Wellington England Crest I'm sipping right now, albeit much less brawny in character and a little less weighty in mouthfeel.

The kashrut process (which, as I understand it, is little more than gentle pasteurization, though I'm sure it must be more complicated) doesn't harm the texture, flavor, or character of the wine at all, but, much like FedEx leaving your case of wine in their hot aluminum toaster van all day, it does eliminate any possibility of substantial aging. I suspect these 2004's need to be drank this year, at the latest.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Kosher wines have come a long way in the last 10 years and Herzog makes some of the best. Unfortunately, most kosher wineries are making Bordeaux style wines, and I prefer Italian style wines instead. Herzog family, please consider making a Tuscan style wine or growing some Zinfandel!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
k1avg wrote:

No offense, but you don't understand it. In fact, the process you outlined, called mevushal, has nothing to do with being kosher -- many kosher wines (in fact, most made in Israel) are not mevushal. Mevushal wines are those that are flash-pasteurized, to enable them to be handled when open by non-Jews and still remain kosher.

Kosher wines are those made by sabbath-observant Jews, and inside Israel, are not made in the sabbath year (every seventh).

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
PetiteSirah wrote:No offense, but you don't understand it. In fact, the process you outlined, called mevushal, has nothing to do with being kosher -- many kosher wines (in fact, most made in Israel) are not mevushal. Mevushal wines are those that are flash-pasteurized, to enable them to be handled when open by non-Jews and still remain kosher.

Kosher wines are those made by sabbath-observant Jews, and inside Israel, are not made in the sabbath year (every seventh).

Dang, PS, I was typing the exact same thing when I refreshed the comments and saw your explanation.

WD, can you explain the "arrive by Passover" promise? Are we going to see two-day shipping on this, or are you just promising it will arrive by the end of Passover. It's the difference between a buy and a non-buy for me, because I would like this for my seders on Monday and Tuesday night. Not so much for the rest of the week.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

jschacht

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jschacht

I see that this is kosher (and thanks to those who piped up to explain what that *really* means), but what I don't see is whether it is KP, kosher for Passover. Anyone know? Couldn't find any info on their site.

Also could not find an alcohol % -- did anyone see that?

Happy Passover and Easter to those who observe.

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
jschacht wrote:I see that this is kosher (and thanks to those who piped up to explain what that *really* means), but what I don't see is whether it is KP, kosher for Passover. Anyone know? Couldn't find any info on their site.

Also could not find an alcohol % -- did anyone see that?

Happy Passover and Easter to those who observe.

Kosher wine is by definition kosher for passover.

Edit: Not exactly true, but I've never seen a kosher wine that wasn't kosher for passover as well.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

kainoaraymond

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kainoaraymond

There is something about a Jewish (style) wine with a German (sounding) name that gives me pause.

Does anyone know of a good Israeli Gewürztraminer?

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
PetiteSirah wrote:No offense, but you don't understand it. In fact, the process you outlined, called mevushal, has nothing to do with being kosher -- many kosher wines (in fact, most made in Israel) are not mevushal. Mevushal wines are those that are flash-pasteurized, to enable them to be handled when open by non-Jews and still remain kosher.

But this is CA wine and they say on the website it's non-mevushal? So how is it kosher, then?

I was at an Israeli wine tasting last week and the best of the night was a Riesling. It actually had varietal character. Unlike the Syrah and the PS.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kainoaraymond wrote:There is something about a Jewish (style) wine with a German (sounding) name that gives me pause.

Does anyone know of a good Israeli Gewürztraminer?

Most Ashkenazi (i.e. Eastern European) Jewish names sound German since Yiddish evolved from German.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

midship

quality posts: 1 Private Messages midship
klezman wrote:But this is CA wine and they say on the website it's non-mevushal? So how is it kosher, then?

Kosher wine can be either mevushal or non-mevushal. The difference is that mevushal is heated to near boiling and remains kosher regardless of who handles it after it's bottled.

Non-mevushal kosher wine is not heated and technically becomes non-kosher if it's handled by a non-Jew (ie if your waiter opens and pours the wine and is not Jewish). Handling of the bottle while it is unopened doesn't effect it's status however.

It's a rather strange concept admittedly.

xelxock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xelxock

wine from Oxnard????? Puhleeez!

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

Seriously, will this be in time for Tuesday (evening)?

I'm in, but I'd really like this for gift purposes in time for the first night.

sbrady22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrady22

It's Thursday and we are supposed to have an offering of a delectable gourmet or artisan food product. We, of the states who don't allow wine shipped here, eagerly await this special day to check and see what Woot will bring us that we can actually receive. This could have been offered yesterday, which would have greatly increased guaranteed shipping times. Now I have to wait another week for something that I can actually buy.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
k1avg wrote:I actually shared a bottle of the 2003 Herzog Special Reserve Syrah with Richardhod when he visited last fall - one of many that night, so my notes are terse: "9/24/2010 rated 88 points: A very interesting style - restrained and acidic. Some fruit hiding behind earthiness and leather. Interesting, but probably near its peak."

Ah yes. I believe the Herzog, AKA "Grizzly" wine can be tracked down, but with great care. You shouldn't become too friendly with it, or what at first looks like a cuddly, friendly, gentle wine can give quite a bite.

EDIT: I don't remember too much about it, but unsure that I was very keen on it. Indeed I think I let K1 drink most of it, perhaps instinctively not liking its having been, er, cooked. RE-EDIT, or maybe that was a different bottle as this isn't mevushal after all! So you'll have to go by K1's notes ;)

RE-RE-EDIT (see p3) so it WAS the M cooked version after all. See, I don't like cooked wines much!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
brainchasm wrote:Seriously, will this be in time for Tuesday (evening)?

I'm in, but I'd really like this for gift purposes in time for the first night.

And more importantly Monday afternoon!

mikegberg wrote:
WD, can you explain the "arrive by Passover" promise? Are we going to see two-day shipping on this

By my math they'll need to ship it overnight to have it here for Passover. (They wouldn't be shipping it until Friday- right?)

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold
k1avg wrote:We were both of the opinion that it was a very restrained, Rhône-like style

Restrained, Rhone-like? I can't remember the last time I had a Rhone wine that I would call restrained. Maybe it resembled a Rhone wine that was over the hill lol.

taelengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taelengirl

Phooey, boo, hiss, no non-wine choice today... I look forward to "non-wine woot" Thursday all week I understand Passover and everything, but at least have some hidden alternative deal for those of us who are looking for something different!

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

"To arrive in time for Passover"

Passover starts Monday night, I guess seeing will be believing.

Either way, I'm in.

jkdaaa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jkdaaa
taelengirl wrote:Phooey, boo, hiss, no non-wine choice today... I look forward to "non-wine woot" Thursday all week I understand Passover and everything, but at least have some hidden alternative deal for those of us who are looking for something different!

You mean like an Easter egg?

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

I wish this was offered earlier. This way it could get to my place in time for Pesach (Passover)

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn
midship wrote:It's a rather strange concept admittedly.

I'm biting my tongue so hard right now...

taelengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taelengirl
jkdaaa wrote:You mean like an Easter egg?

Hehe... nah, on kids.woot sometimes, there's a link hidden in the text description that sends you to moofi (woot! upside down), a "special super secret page" where an alternative deal is shown.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

How good is this deal?

Shipping calculation appears broken on the winery site, so the valuation sheet was created without shipping included.

And even then, we're looking at 50% off!

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I have no idea how long passover lasts--nor am I particularly concerned--but to those who are expecting getting it Monday or Tuesday, you have got to be out of your mind.

I learned long ago to just give up on any prompt shipping from woot. I still haven't got my order from March 28th.

Shipping wine is expensive, and I can't imagine that they are going to overnight it, or two-day, first-class, whatever they would need to call it to get it to you early next week. I am guessing it will be here before the end of passover.

PoetrySax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PoetrySax
mikegberg wrote:Kosher wine is by definition kosher for passover.

Edit: Not exactly true, but I've never seen a kosher wine that wasn't kosher for passover as well.

There are Kosher wines that are not Kosher for Passover. We are strictly Orthodox and friends of ours bought a bottle of Kosher wine for Passover two years ago. When they were about to open it on Passover, they realized it didn't have Passover certification. Oops.

But judging from the picture here, http://www.cabriniwines.com/vsku1542214.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=BARON%20HERZOG%20SYRAH%20SPECIAL%20RESERVE%20KOSHER%202004, this wine is Kosher for Passover.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
midship wrote:Kosher wine can be either mevushal or non-mevushal. The difference is that mevushal is heated to near boiling and remains kosher regardless of who handles it after it's bottled.

Non-mevushal kosher wine is not heated and technically becomes non-kosher if it's handled by a non-Jew (ie if your waiter opens and pours the wine and is not Jewish). Handling of the bottle while it is unopened doesn't effect it's status however.

But your explanation helps. I was wondering about the "handling" part and you explained it very well.

But what I really want to know is will it work with my Mac? (If I had one that is!)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
midship wrote:Kosher wine can be either mevushal or non-mevushal. The difference is that mevushal is heated to near boiling and remains kosher regardless of who handles it after it's bottled.

Basically mevushal derived from the fact that wine was also used as a "sacrafice" or "offering" by pagans. Pagans considered "boiled" wine unfit for their rituals. Therefore, to ensure that a non-Jew didn't use the wine in their rituals before serving it to a Jew, and thereby making the Jew take part in a forbidden act, Jews "boiled" wine. If the wine is being served by a Jew, mevushal is irrelevant.

I am also disappointed that this wasn't offered a week or two ago, as I just bought 18 bottles of wine for Passover a couple days ago. VERY interested to hear what the actual shipping explanation is...

kapamelbka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kapamelbka

Finally some kosher wine!
In for 2