Previous Offer Forums:
12/3/2009
8/6/2009
12/2/2008
7/10/2008

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Oh Happy Day. In for 2. Would go 3 but looks like max is 2. That is ok , I am not greedy.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Ok someone has to be excited!

There, like I said - they just beat me to it.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
auggie24 wrote:Who was shouting for balsamic earlier?

I was for one. I ordered as soon after 1:00 as I returned to my desk.

Now to determine if I should order a second set.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Put it on vanilla ice cream and strawberries. Seriously.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

This is the balsamic everyone's been ranting and raving about. But why?

NascarDad

auggie24 wrote:Who was shouting for balsamic earlier?

I was one of them. I even got up at 12:55 PM EST so I could be awake if it came on sale at 1 AM. If I could buy 3 was going to gift one, but 2 should last us a year (I hope).

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
NascarDad wrote:Oh Happy Day. In for 2. Would go 3 but looks like max is 2. That is ok , I am not greedy.

That's where you get your downstairs neighbor, you know the one with the other email address and credit card *wink*, to order the extras for you!

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
richardhod wrote:This is the balsamic everyone's been ranting and raving about. But why?

Because it is fantastic. It pours like syrup out of the bottle.

RRichmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RRichmo

Before we get too into Balsamic speak, a slightly off topic question: What's up with the no-notice FedEx deliveries? Ty Red, Atlas Peak, and Corison Kronos dropped in unannounced today. No complaints, mind you, but a heads-up is really good for those deliveries.

NascarDad

richardhod wrote:This is the balsamic everyone's been ranting and raving about. But why?

Because it is really excellent stuff. Not quite as good as the Tradizionale , but considering its cost is 35% of that, and it is a real winner.

enantiodromia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enantiodromia

For the record, this is not real balsamic vinegar, and probably not worth the jacked up price honestly.

If it doesn't say "Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale" on the label, then it's just vinegar added to grape juice, with added flavorings to make it taste something like real balsamic.

Something fun to do with the imitation balsamic, is to buy a huge bottle and boil it down into a syrup, which is equally fantastic on meats, fruits, and ice creme.

worldofjohnboy

quality posts: 77 Private Messages worldofjohnboy

In for one, though I am not sure why. Lots of reactions seemed to indicate this was like a Wellington or Corison offer.

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Taste is wonderful full and sweet. Thicker than the best balsamic I could find, and way different from what you can find in your grocery store.

We use if for salad dressings. Great on mozzerala (sp?) by itself with tomatoes. Or on ice cream and strawberries.

I have been waiting for this to come up for a couple of months now.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

richardhod

SmilingBoognish wrote:Because it is fantastic. It pours like syrup out of the bottle.

but then we don't like wine to be syrupy (unless we're an egomaniacal American lawyer and amateurish wine enthusiast with a daft grading system and a liking for overripe reds ;). so why woudl we want our vinegar to bey syrupy 8-)

kohisan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kohisan

Yes. We've all waited long and hard for this! VINEGAR FOR ALL!!

richardhod

hmm "and Cavedoni is very old indeed. In fact, the Cavedoni family established their artisanal acetaia five generations ago in 1860"

In European parts, like Italy, for example. 1860 is NOT old. A house isn't even properly old unless it's C17th or 18th! 1860? That's almost within living memory for some people! (mentioning no names or initials ;)

You new world folk will fall for any european who makes claims of age or "heritage". I need more convincing that this isn't the Parker Cabernet of vinegar!

spuds89

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spuds89

Yes! Yes! Yes! YES!!!! (Said in my best "When Harry met Sally" voice)

I LOVE this stuff! :-)

Try drizzling a little bit over a great parm cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmm....simply to die for.

I was just about out of my last bottle. Mr. Spuds will be a happy man--getting vinegar for Christmas!

NascarDad

This adds so much flavor to whatever we use it for, it has really helped us bring more flavor with less calories to our cooking.

Of course a little shot of this on a nicely dry aged strip steak sizzling off the grill is also rather nice (if not exactly low-cal ;) )

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
enantiodromia wrote:For the record, this is not real balsamic vinegar, and probably not worth the jacked up price honestly.

Have you tried it?

ilanad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilanad

The recommendations for this look awesome, but I don't go through balsamic very quickly. How long does this last once opened?

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: penemue
Speed to first woot: 1m 1.207s
Last wooter to woot: tytiger58

Only two.....

Love this stuff!

Thanks WD

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

NascarDad

SmilingBoognish wrote:Have you tried it?

Exactly. And this is not the Tradizionale offering, but it is definitely not like supermarket balsamic or even supermarket balsamic cooked down to be syrupy. This one in particular, aged in small barrels , is about the best quality you can find without spending the 100 dollars or more on the Tradizionale.

I have tried others in this price range (and lower) and they are simply nothing like this one.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
richardhod wrote:hmm "and Cavedoni is very old indeed. In fact, the Cavedoni family established their artisanal acetaia five generations ago in 1860"

In European parts, like Italy, for example. 1860 is NOT old unless you're American. A house isn't even properly old unless it's C17th or 18th! 1860? That's almost within living memory for some people! (mentioning no names or initials ;)

You new world folk will fall for any claims or age or "heritage" I need more convincing! /

I am sure it's going to sell out - I wouldn't waste too much time waiting to be convinced or you'll miss out.

madpoet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages madpoet

Ah thank god! In for 2, would be 3 if I could ;)

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB

Love, love, LOVE this stuff! I've purchased it three times now and always make the mistake of not buying more than one at a time. This makes a great gift if you have foodie friends. But take my advice and get a bottle for yourself too

Imagine4vr

ilanad wrote:The recommendations for this look awesome, but I don't go through balsamic very quickly. How long does this last once opened?

I've had a bottle open for a year and it's still good. I just keep it in a cool dark cabinet.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
enantiodromia wrote:For the record, this is not real balsamic vinegar, and probably not worth the jacked up price honestly.

If it doesn't say "Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale" on the label, then it's just vinegar added to grape juice, with added flavorings to make it taste something like real balsamic.

Something fun to do with the imitation balsamic, is to buy a huge bottle and boil it down into a syrup, which is equally fantastic on meats, fruits, and ice creme.

I threw away my box with the information on it, but if I remember correctly, it's made through the exact same process as Tradizionale balsamic, but is just made outside the geographical area necessary to get the designation. It's probably discussed in one of the previous threads as well, but I don't have the time to go look for it.

[Edit: Ah, actually it's an aging issue, seven years vs. twelve for the official designation, explained below. My comment here still definitely applies though.]

In short, this is absolutely nothing like the "balsamic" crap you get in the grocery store (which is usually just red wine vinegar and boiled-down grape juice), and as close as you can get to the "real stuff" without having to shell out a couple C-notes. Trust me - it's well worth forty bucks.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

Fantastic stuff. This will be the third time I have ordered this vinegar. The first time I was very concerned about the price. Not after trying it.

It lasts for quite some time. It is very thick and flavorful. A little goes a long way. A bottle lasts me close to a year. My favorite is with pears.

Edit: I thought in another thread, the importer explained the DOC "Tradizionale" versus this. If I recall, it has to be a minimum of 12 years to be eligible for that designation (on top of grapes, regions, etc.). This is aged 7, but in accordance with all of the other requirements. So, it falls short of achieving the designation by virtue of age.

It does get more syrupy and complex with age, but this is still an incredible tasting balsamic at a fraction of the price. If you can afford the "real" DOC stuff, and only use it for every balsamic application, then this is not for you. Even if you do have a special bottle of 15 year old balsamic, this is a good choice for everyday finishing uses. Just like having a cheaper supermarket one is necessary for reductions and cooking.

ahlewis53

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahlewis53

In for 2. One for my mom for xmas and one for me at home. This is great stuff!! I love it on a spinach and strawberry salad or on filet mignon.

kylemittskus

You are doubly wrong.

penemue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages penemue

In for 2, wish I could get more. Everyone who tries this vinegar loves it.
And I just noticed I was the first sucker!!

richardhod

Imagine4vr wrote:I am sure it's going to sell out - I wouldn't waste too much time waiting to be convinced or you'll miss out.

Not that I'm being contrarian or anything ;) but isn't that what they say in the best scams? I'm not a religious convert... so I need facts, or multiple reliable, evidence-supported opinions.

Given almost everyone else is singing its praises, I'm just holding out for some data, like maybe clever links from someone who knows where to look, and analysis of that data and a decent synthesis, perhaps backed up by a convincing-enough story

EDIT: I see k1AVG and a couple of others have just started that process. I'm softening. A little.

ilanad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilanad
Imagine4vr wrote:I've had a bottle open for a year and it's still good. I just keep it in a cool dark cabinet.

Thank you! In for two. =)

Imagine4vr

richardhod wrote:Not that I'm being contrarian or anything ;) but isn't that what they say in the best scams? I'm not a religious convert... so I need facts, or multiple reliable, evidence-supported opinions.

Given almost everyone else is singing its praises, I'm just holding out for some data, like maybe clever links from someone who knows where to look, and analysis of that data and a decent synthesis, perhaps backed up by a convinving-enough story

It tastes good, the price is right. And with all the repeat buyers, that should be good enough for you. If not, more for the rest of us ;)

NascarDad

Imagine4vr wrote:I am sure it's going to sell out - I wouldn't waste too much time waiting to be convinced or you'll miss out.

You should be saying "Oh this stuff is terrible. Stay away." Then there is more for us

kylemittskus

richardhod wrote:Not that I'm being contrarian or anything ;) but isn't that what they say in the best scams? I'm not a religious convert... so I need facts, or multiple reliable, evidence-supported opinions.

Given almost everyone else is singing its praises, I'm just holding out for some data, like maybe clever links from someone who knows where to look, and analysis of that data and a decent synthesis, perhaps backed up by a convinving-enough story

Just buy a bottle already, ya hooligan! If you like balsamic, of course.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

I'm thinking about getting this as a gift for a wannabe gourmand friend of mine, but I'm a little leery about the Smartpost shipping. Will this really make it to the East Coast in time for Christmas? (Or really the weekend before, when I'm leaving to head home?) And will a couple days in the hands of the postal service in potentially 20F-or-so weather do it any harm?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.