Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Armida Winery POIZIN - 3 Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: To Die For
Product:
3 2008 POIZIN Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

YAY and CRAP all at the same time. Want to be in, but October has been rough so far!

For what it's worth, I've found *all* vintages I've had of the to be best 1-2 years after wooting.

May have to suck-it-up and go in to extend my vertical (and then actually *do* the vertical tasting).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

worldofjohnboy

quality posts: 77 Private Messages worldofjohnboy

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

tjsynkral

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral

Finally, a wine you can keep under the sink.

NonVenomous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonVenomous

Is this the wine that comes in a coffin case?

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Corrado wrote:Armida Winery POIZIN - 3 Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: To Die For
Product:
3 2008 POIZIN Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

YAY and CRAP all at the same time. Want to be in, but October has been rough so far!

For what it's worth, I've found *all* vintages I've had of the to be best 1-2 years after wooting.

May have to suck-it-up and go in to extend my vertical (and then actually *do* the vertical tasting).

I agree with letting them sit a year or two.

Shouldn't this be the 2009? Last year October they offered the 2008 also.

worldofjohnboy

Corrado wrote:For what it's worth, I've found *all* vintages I've had of the to be best 1-2 years after wooting.

What if we can't wait that long? :-D

Also, did you kill of Cesare or something?

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

A Woot favorite, but the CT notes (sparse as they are) are rather unflattering. Notes on the 2007 are more numerous but similarly underwhelming. Anyone want to explain the appeal to me?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Imagine4vr wrote:I agree with letting them sit a year or two.

Shouldn't this be the 2009? Last year October they offered the 2008 also.

I think we got "lucky" with getting the 2008 last year shortly after its release. Typically wine.woot gets last year's Poizin (which, IMHO, works out better).

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

NonVenomous wrote:Is this the wine that comes in a coffin case?

The reserve does (and is very tasty). The one sold here does not.

worldofjohnboy

Found this interview with the Wine maker: http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/2008-armida-winery-poizin/

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

k1avg wrote:A Woot favorite, but the CT notes (sparse as they are) are rather unflattering. Notes on the 2007 are more numerous but similarly underwhelming. Anyone want to explain the appeal to me?

The 2007 is probably only starting to calm down now. I expect labrat notes this week to bemoan the alcoholic nose and heat of the wine on the palate.

Poizin was one of the early post-beta offerings that mixed good wine with a catchy package and really good people in terms of forum participation. Offering it in time for Halowe'en wasn't a bad plan either.

I still reuse the bottles for running a bottle or two of homebrew off the keg when I'm going to a party and just swig beer out the Poizin bottle.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Corrado wrote:I think we got "lucky" with getting the 2008 last year shortly after its release. Typically wine.woot gets last year's Poizin (which, IMHO, works out better).

I don't think so - in Oct '06 I purchased the '05 (my very first wine woot!), '07 the '06 etc.. I see last Oct '09 we were offered the '07 and then the '08 in Feb? Oh well, I have 2 '08's somewhere here and I'll just wait for the '09's to add to my vertical. blah

worldofjohnboy

I found a somewhat local place that offers a better deal on these. http://www.empirewine.com/wine/armida-poizin-zinfandel-2008/

Next time I'm at my parent's house (whom live closer), perhaps I will stop by.

cudthecrud

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cudthecrud
k1avg wrote:A Woot favorite, but the CT notes (sparse as they are) are rather unflattering. Notes on the 2007 are more numerous but similarly underwhelming. Anyone want to explain the appeal to me?

I think its just because of the label. While they're tasty, I think they're qpr is pretty poor.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Sigh...and I just bought these from that spying site a couple months ago at a few dollars more per bottle. Haven't opened any of them yet though so can't chime in as to how these compare to previous vintages.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
javadrinker wrote:Sigh...and I just bought these from that spying site a couple months ago at a few dollars more per bottle. Haven't opened any of them yet though so can't chime in as to how these compare to previous vintages.

Well you've got all weekend...

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Imagine4vr wrote:I don't think so - in Oct '06 I purchased the '05 (my very first wine woot!), '07 the '06 etc.. I see last Oct '09 we were offered the '07 and then the '08 in Feb? Oh well, I have 2 '08's somewhere here and I'll just wait for the '09's to add to my vertical. blah

Yep, you're right. I'm down to one each of the '05, '06, and '07. I always hate drinking the last bottle of a wine.

worldofjohnboy

Corrado wrote:Yep, you're right. I'm down to one each of the '05, '06, and '07. I always hate drinking the last bottle of a wine.

You can always give them to fellow wooters if you can't bear to plunge the corkscrew in.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

here's a review

First Impressions
Full bodied, very fruity up front, with cassis, plum, blackberry, and cherry aroma. Slightly oaky with a hint of spice.

People who've tasted, any advance on this? What were your impressions?

richardhod

So the pH on these is pretty high (low acid), and the TA is only average, so I'm not thinking this has the bite of the Vampire wine.

What style of wine is this, anyone who's drunk it? What fruits / flavours might we expect, (review above gives a few, but yours will help more!) and does it have any balance given the high pH? Is this a toasty dark ripe zin, or does it have some lighter fruit zip?

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis

This may be delicious and reasonably priced, but does it have a kitty on the bottle?

hello kitty rose

NightGhost

Here's a Previous Woot

NightGhost

richardhod wrote:here's a review

First Impressions
Full bodied, very fruity up front, with cassis, plum, blackberry, and cherry aroma. Slightly oaky with a hint of spice.

People who've tasted, any advance on this? What were your impressions?

That's for the 2007 Poizin, which was offered in this Previous Woot, with some notes and rattery.

TooOldForThis

NightGhost wrote:Here's a Previous Woot

So now it's $7 cheaper, and aged 10 more months in the bottle. That's a good thing, right?

choey2k5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages choey2k5

I feel that label designs like this do not honor the quality of the wine. While books should not be judged by the cover, I'm not going to drink out of something that looks like a bio-hazard chemical container.

Easy pass for me.

NightGhost

Vampire on Monday, Poizin on Friday - you'd think it was Halloween or something...

richardhod

NightGhost wrote:That's for the 2007 Poizin, which was offered in this Previous Woot, with some notes and rattery.

correct, I meant to say, but it's the same wine, different year. At this juncture we're just trying to work out what it tastes like.

NightGhost

TooOldForThis wrote:So now it's $7 cheaper, and aged 10 more months in the bottle. That's a good thing, right?

Obviously the price drop is a good thing, and the aging can't hurt if you're in a hurry to drink it. I like my mid-range zins to be at least 3, but there's a lot of controversy about how long to age them. Some zin drinkers never cellar them.

I've had some very interesting 10+year-old zins.

TooOldForThis

Just today Trader Joe's sent me a newsletter extolling their special buy of 10,000 cases of "Steelhead Dry Creek Zinfandel" from Sonoma County, formerly retailed @ $16 a bottle, and now available for $6.99.

I don't think the fish on the label would be as good as "Mr. Yuck" at keeping the young'uns out.

KidKobun

quality posts: 6 Private Messages KidKobun
tjsynkral wrote:Finally, a wine you can keep under the sink.

'Nuff said.

woot! should restrict first time wooters from getting the infamous Bustin' out chainsaws.

TooOldForThis

NightGhost wrote:I like my mid-range zins to be at least 3, but there's a lot of controversy about how long to age them.

This was bottled in 2008, and you like your zins @ 3 years old. Seems to match exactly to Corrado's saying that he likes to cellar his woots for 1-2 years. Must be great minds thinking alike.

[Oops, not bottled, but harvested. That's the date on the bottle for when the clock starts ticking for your three years]

verybadperson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verybadperson

Got this last time.

I can honestly say that this wine does not suck.

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat

Finally!! Been waiting for this and keeping my budget in check so I could jump in. One of my all-time woot favorites and cheaper this year too! Woot woot! With my B.D. coupon this is a happy day. First time I bought this was due to the gimmicky bottle and after tasting it I make it an automatic every year now.

Speed to First Woot:0m 56.983s
First Sucker:mill
Last Wooter To Woot:PghRiverRat.

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

LURVE this stuff. In for one, would have gotten two if money wasn't tight. Available to RAT. Was wondering when they would re-offer this.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica

OK, enough with the cute spellings. I refuse to buy anything with a cute spelling. If it were called Poison I'd be in, but not for Poizin. I'm taking a stand (and I hope you'll join me).

grumblegrumble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grumblegrumble

You fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never judge a wine by its label or spelling of its name"

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Is it too late to start a vertical of Poizon? Hope not, in for only one cause my wine bill and stock has been climbing fast.

bbombay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbombay

Happy happy dance! I got my Poizin!! I've been waiting patiently by the computer all week..credit card clutched in my hand!