bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm

Hi All!

Here's the needed info for the Buffalo/WNY Tasting #5 over MLK weekend: Sat Jan. 15th and Sun. Jan. 16th. PM Justin for directions.

Details: Part I: Justin's Place
Date: Sat. January 15th
Time: 5 PM
Theme: Blending kit for reds from WD AND Blind Tasting: Cali Red Blends
Food: Braised pork and Grilled Flank Steak Soft Shell Tacos;Spinach Salad with Roasted Garlic and Pine Nuts;cheese and meat plate;one of ddeuddeg's famous cheesecakes?
Hosts: Justin & Katy

Attending:

1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. justinrsanderson
4. justinrsanderson's +1
5. justinrsanderson's +2
6. justinrsanderson's +3
7. wkdpanda

Maybe:

* darlene
* cheron98

Regrets:
* polarbear and his lovely wife
* zoomba
* cyborgdo11
* tiger
* cheron98

Wines: TBD

Details: Part II: Niagara-On-The-Lake
Date: Sun. January 16th
Time:
Theme: Ice Wines & Food Pairings at regional wineries + Dinner at Rest
Hosts: Bonnie & Don

Attending:

1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. wkdpanda

Maybe:

* darlene
* justinrsanderson

Regrets:
* polarbear and his lovely wife
* zoomba
* cyborgdo11
* tiger
* cheron98

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

November may be better for me, but I cannot say what weekend, because I got to look at my exam schedule. We could just blend different types of cabernet and compare them to set standards? I.e good cab, mediocre cab, and barefoot cab?

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Wish I could be there. Hmmm, I do have some unused credits on JetBlue.

tiger7610

CAGrl wrote:Wish I could be there. Hmmm, I do have some unused credits on JetBlue.

You should totally fly in. It will be even more incentive for me to make the 3 hour drive.

bahwm

CAGrl wrote:Wish I could be there. Hmmm, I do have some unused credits on JetBlue.

That would be so cool. We'd love to see you again!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

let me know what weekend, i'll make a huge effort to be there

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

CAGrl

I'll keep an out for the dates and see what the hubby has to say. It would be nice to see you all again.

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm open every Saturday of November. I think the blending exercise sounds good, and maybe something on reserve if the blends turn out terrible.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:I'm open every Saturday of November. I think the blending exercise sounds good, and maybe something on reserve if the blends turn out terrible.

We will definitely need to have some other wines to taste, since the blending activity does not provide us with a lot of options for tasting. We did an activity like this during the tour at Peter Wellington's place. It was really interesting to find out how a small adjustment in ingredients really changed the nose and the taste!

justinrsanderson

Maybe everyone can bring one of their favorite bottles? That way we'll have good stuff to drink, in case our blending experiments go horribly wrong.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22

Watching dates from here in CT. Need to use some excess PTO, and love the company. So what better reason to get out of the office.

Only conflict at this point is the weekend of the 14th.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

CAGrl

Like I said, I'd have to talk to the hubby about letting me go, but the only weekend I couldn't make it would be the weekend before Thanksgiving (11/20) because I have another take home exam that day. But if that's the only day that works for you all, have at it. And maybe I'll have to hit up a different one.

bahwm

OK, PB cannot make it the weekend of the 13th, CAGirl can't make it the weekend of the 20th, Thanksgiving Weekend probably isn't a good weekend, so that leaves us with the weekend of Nov. 6th. Check your calendars and flight options and post. Buffalo/WNY peeps get posting!

BTW, there will be a wine tasting at our church on Fri. Nov. 5th. One of our parishioners who owns a liquor store runs it. I don't have all of the specifics, but the cost is usually around $20 - $25 and we have a nice spread of munchies, too. Bill serves up a variety of affordable wines and then, saves some good ones for us!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Watching dates from here in CT. Need to use some excess PTO, and love the company. So what better reason to get out of the office.

Only conflict at this point is the weekend of the 14th.

We'd love to have you join us, but I hope you aren't expecting a dinner of the magnitude of that Shakespeare benefit bahwm posted about last Saturday. I need a year to recover from that one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

CAGrl

ddeuddeg wrote:We'd love to have you join us, but I hope you aren't expecting a dinner of the magnitude of that Shakespeare benefit bahwm posted about last Saturday. I need a year to recover from that one.

I just thought that's how you guys ate every night. No need. Although if I do come, I would need a bed to crash in for a night.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

bummer, I'm not going to be up in Pittsburgh in November to be coerced into the gathering. I'll be up next week for the first home game and then again for the Winter Classic. Have fun at the gathering though!

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cheron98

Nov 6th could potentially work for me, especially if certain clients continue to drag their feet on signing off on a new project to let us get started working on it.

Then again, Nov 6th could be a disaster (or any time in November) for the same reason Count me as tentatively there, and I will find lodging somewhere out there. Decide later whether or not I'll drive internationally.

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:I just thought that's how you guys ate every night. No need. Although if I do come, I would need a bed to crash in for a night.

Competition for the guest suite at our place could be fierce.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Competition for the guest suite at our place could be fierce.

I withdraw from the running for that as I have plenty of points to burn for hotel stays

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:Competition for the guest suite at our place could be fierce.

I'm willing to share ....

Tempting. Very tempting. But have to see how things go, what with a potential run up to Napa/Sonoma (the Oct 9/10 weekend) and the CyberPub Crush on Oct. 18th.

Plus the Sis's bday celebration at the end of Oct.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:We'd love to have you join us, but I hope you aren't expecting a dinner of the magnitude of that Shakespeare benefit bahwm posted about last Saturday. I need a year to recover from that one.

I only mentioned the company. Krugsters and I are conspiring on your next Shakespeare dinner, so that will take care of that.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:I only mentioned the company. Krugsters and I are conspiring on your next Shakespeare dinner, so that will take care of that.

As always, a class act. You will also enjoy the company of our founder/artistic director and his lovely wife, if you're serious about the dinner. They are delightful people.

tiger7610

ddeuddeg wrote:As always, a class act. You will also enjoy the company of our founder/artistic director and his lovely wife, if you're serious about the dinner. They are delightful people.

I talked with Saul after the Macbeth premier and he is a great guy. I highly recommended the dinner, even if I do not have the money to bid on it at the Feast.

I'm also a maybe still need to check my exam schedule, and I can settle for just an air mattress, or can try to find other lodging in the area.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
bahwm wrote:Hi All!

It's been too long since our last tasting--April 10th to be exact. Now, that just won't do--to quote a famous philosopher!

heeheeheehehee

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
polarbear22 wrote:I only mentioned the company. Krugsters and I are conspiring on your next Shakespeare dinner, so that will take care of that.

Yessssssssssss! We might have to put in an absentee bid tho unless PB is attending the gala. My relatives from the UK are thinking of coming over in March.

And come to think of it...we might be going upstate to see my brother and his family. We might possibly be able to sneak away, maybe??? for an evening. I dunno..how far away is Macedon from yous all?

bahwm

Krugsters wrote:Yessssssssssss! We might have to put in an absentee bid tho unless PB is attending the gala. My relatives from the UK are thinking of coming over in March.

And come to think of it...we might be going upstate to see my brother and his family. We might possibly be able to sneak away, maybe??? for an evening. I dunno..how far away is Macedon from yous all?

It looks like about 1 hour 45 min from a generic search. Macedon is on the far side of Rochester from Buffalo and a little North.

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad
ddeuddeg wrote:Good to hear from you again. Check out the Buffalo/WNY tasting thread.

Well I never left, just lurking 99% of the time. Have been following along with this thread.

Nov 6th I am booked - I will either be in Syracuse, Rochester or Ithaca coaching at lacrosse tournaments – likely in two of those places anyways.

Krugster, Macedon is about 10 min from our house if you all ever want a "wine respite" while visiting these parts...

cheron98

DON'T DRINK MY CORISONS!!!!

Guess I'm gonna have to make an extra effort to get out there before temptation wins you over

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:DON'T DRINK MY CORISONS!!!!
Guess I'm gonna have to make an extra effort to get out there before temptation wins you over

Your Corisons? I have no idea whereof you speak. There were some nice ones addressed to us that arrived just the other day. I think I'll give them a little time to recover from their journey before I open them.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Your Corisons? I have no idea whereof you speak. There were some nice ones addressed to us that arrived just the other day. I think I'll give them a little time to recover from their journey before I open them.

rawr.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

I thought when I retired that calendar stuff would suddenly get easy!

Wrong.

Available in November 2d and 3rd weekend. By the bye, what do you mean "Before" the snow files when you are talking November?

bahwm

Lighter wrote:I thought when I retired that calendar stuff would suddenly get easy!

Wrong.

Available in November 2d and 3rd weekend. By the bye, what do you mean "Before" the snow files when you are talking November?

Good to see you around. I hope that you are enjoying your busy-ness in retirement though.

Hey, I'm figuring early November, shouldn't be much but a few flurries, if we're lucky! Usually I can hold off on the winter coat until after Thanksgiving. Usually.

ddeuddeg

Lighter wrote:By the bye, what do you mean "Before" the snow files when you are talking November?

Not a flake last November.

bahwm

I updated the first post. More ideas for the tasting theme would be good. There isn't enough juice in the kit to satisfy our tasting needs based on what we did at Peter Wellington's tasting room. Location, location? There was a threat made to host by someone else?

justinrsanderson

I'm in. As for tasting themes, maybe everyone brings one of their favorites to share? I sort of like the open ended way the clambakes tasting was, though mostly white, we did have a Bordeaux from Wootified (which was pretty nice), a white Burgundy from....Krugsters? And Arroyo's Petit Sirah Port from Polarbear, not to mention some Bubbles, oaked Chard, unoaked Chard, etc.

It'd be nice to keep in concentrated on what each individual is currently enjoying.

justinrsanderson

Bump.

polarbear22

We send our regrets. Could not convince my wife to try and squeeze a trip to Buffalo in when there is a gathering in our own area.

We will get there again.

My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:We send our regrets. Could not convince my wife to try and squeeze a trip to Buffalo in when there is a gathering in our own area.

We will get there again.

Oh, darn! We will miss you guys!

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

Regrets for that weekend. We have a PTSD benefit and then guests hanging on!

bahwm

Lighter wrote:Regrets for that weekend. We have a PTSD benefit and then guests hanging on!

We'll miss you guys, too!