Kunde - Three Pack
$42.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Products:
1 2006 Valee de la Lune
1 2005 Estate Syrah
1 2005 Estate Merlot

Links above to CT.

IIRC, a lot of "Bottle Shock" was shot at Kunde.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1695 Private Messages Cesare

Winery website
Previous offers:
2/12/07: Blog and Forum

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I would love to know the rationale for adding Viognier to reds. What purpose does it serve?

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” ...

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of "rattery" there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).

In essence, you sign up for the labrat program, which makes you eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) You purchase the current offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, first day of the offer).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jhoofard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhoofard

I was really hoping the century Zin was going to be involved. I am sitting on the fence on this one.......

Jeff in PDX

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Liked what I've had from Kunde previously on Woot. Winemaker, what's the drinking window on each of these? And within that window, when would each likely be at its peak?

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
fairnymph wrote:I would love to know the rationale for adding Viognier to reds. What purpose does it serve?

From what I recall it's a pretty typical finishing touch in some rhone blends. It gives the wine some nice floral hints both on the nose and the palate.

Or I can just be totally having a massive brain fart and it's not that at all.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

esperanto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages esperanto

Appelations?

Also, 0.70 mg/mL is not that much acid. i guess that's a typo, and should be 0.70 g/100mL (7 g/L)

Sorry, I'm feeling picky.

first woot ever: Rinfrescante (before wine.woot!)
wine.woots:MandolinaCase, JanKris, EmergencyHoliday, Pedroncelli, Toothstejn, WorldWineChallenge, TyCaton, 101Wines, DustedValley, Wellington3pack, Bargetto, MacRostie

CellarTracker!: VinoVeritasVosLiberabit

Wine and Science in the Finger Lakes

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 13.703s
Last wooter to woot: mill

Mill's getting slow.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

Cesare

fairnymph wrote:I would love to know the rationale for adding Viognier to reds. What purpose does it serve?

Small amounts of Viognier are typically co-fermented with Syrah in the Rhone and Australia. It adds some flavor and aromas to the wine and apparently works better than adding it separately after fermentation. You also don't risk lightening the color of the red wine by adding it after.
Article here

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
javadrinker wrote:Or I can just be totally having a massive brain fart and it's not that at all.

Or you can be totally having a massive brain fart and that's an accurate answer anyway.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

smartheart

jhoofard wrote:I was really hoping the century Zin was going to be involved. I am sitting on the fence on this one.......

Jeff in PDX

Mmmmm....that Century Zin does sound good as described on the website.....maybe it will magically show up later in the week's second offering (or in the future if not.)

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

daprakash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daprakash
javadrinker wrote:From what I recall it's a pretty typical finishing touch in some rhone blends. It gives the wine some nice floral hints both on the nose and the palate.

I believe you are correct. Viognier is used in the Rhône region (and California, I guess)to soften Syrah reds.

saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45
javadrinker wrote:From what I recall it's a pretty typical finishing touch in some rhone blends. It gives the wine some nice floral hints both on the nose and the palate.

I have a similar understanding. It's mostly to amp up the aromatics.

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

Cesare

esperanto wrote:Appelations?

All 3 are Sonoma Valley. You can see it on the bottle if you expand the picture.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

The winemaker will have their own reasons, but two that leap to mind are aromatics and color maintenance. It's also a long-standing Rhône tradition: some of the traditional Chateauneuf-du-Pape red grapes are white.

Odds are pretty good that the Viognier was co-fermented. That's important as fermentation is a chemical process. The addition of the Viognier before fermentation means what comes out is actually different chemically from fermenting them individually and blending afterward. This bumps up the aromatics big-time and, at least according to some, helps the wine maintain its bright color.

That's the 30,000-foot view. The winemaker will likely have stuff to add specific to this blend.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

No shipping to Georgia??
~it happens I guess~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

smartheart wrote:Liked what I've had from Kunde previously on Woot. Winemaker, what's the drinking window on each of these? And within that window, when would each likely be at its peak?

If it means anything to you, I wasn't that impressed with the Vallee when I had it a few months after purchasing, but I REALLY liked it about 18 mos later when I had the second bottle (and it didn't seem to be waning).

Two of these wines weren't in CellarTracker yet, so they're likely pretty new to the market. Most New World wine is released "ready to drink," but if these are like the last Kunde set I bought, they'll likely be improve for a few years in the cellar.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

I asked Viognier maker Morgan Clendenen about blending Viognier and Syrah recently. She said it was originally done in the Northern Rhone when Syrah did not fully ripen. Viognier ripens earlier than Syrah and thus boosts the sugar level of the juice. It sounds like it was originally a wine making "fix" for difficult vintages.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

MarkDaSpark

Hmmm, CJ must be on a break. She hasn't updated this since the 22nd. So made some changes to this Wine.Woot PSA (Original text by cjsiege) .....

~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of March 29

Is there a Woot Wine Gathering in your neck of the woods? Come join us! No gathering? No problem! Propose one! We're nice people, and we bring GOOD wine! Links take you to page ONE of the thread. Enjoy the read!

HEY EVERYONE!!!!! We now have a Wine.Woot Event Calendar over on Google Calendar! So, if you want to see the gatherings in a “time and space” way, take a look! Feedback is welcome!

April
4/4: Dallas #2: Rockin’ Moroccan Woot Wine Gathering What wine goes with Couscous??? Post what you are bringing!!!
4/4: Connecticut #3 Spanish wines are starring over at PolarBear’s Den. Let’s shake off the cold with a nice Rioja…or 2! Who’s game???
4/25: Buffalo/WNY #1 ddeuddeg and bahwm are looking for fellow WNY’ers interested in getting together after the spring thaw.
4/25: NoVA/DC #12: A Taste of Spain Spain’s finest in the bottle, and we’re venturing outside the Beltway. Post your availability.
4/25: NYC #11: Mondavi Madness The tasting will be an all Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve vertical from 1977 to 1999. Post your availability.
4/29: Chicago #?: PolarBears Out On The Town! PBear is visiting the Windy City, and TMR wants to go out on the town! Chime in if you are interested in an evening out!
TBD: NYC #11 Looking for availability in April, since we’re already planning #12 in May.
TBD: Minnesota #6 April??? May??? Who’s up for more Twin Cities festivities?
TBD: April Virtual Tasting. We haven’t decided on a date or a theme. Keep posted to the w.o.w.w board for the discussions.
TBD: Chicago #TBD: Port-on-Port The Orthogonal Port Taste Test. We need a date and a place! Wellington Vertical vs. Kent Rasmussen Horizontal. BYOSnifter…if you dare!

May
5/30: Colorado #3: Sparkyclaus is Coming to Town! We have settled on a date, and the out-of-towners are starting to make plans. Now is the time to post your interest and availability.
TBD: NYC #12 Trying to get another tasting in before Memorial Day.

June
6/6: Dallas #3: Cravin’ Crepes Woot Wine Dinner Hmm… French wines? Fruit forward? What will it be? Chime in now!

July
7/10: Pacific Northwest Wine Train Adventure KryseeMac wants to go ride the rails up to Mt. Hood. Sounds like a fun evening that is NOT your ordinary dinner out. Chime in with your thoughts and availability.
7/18: NYC/CT/NoVA/DC - Sip & Sail-Summer Wine Tasting Cruise Around Manhattan This tasting is going be a gathering of all the NYC, NoVA-DC, CWWT, Buffalo, CT, etc. wine.woot members. Any & all community members & friends of are invited to attend!
It will be held aboard the Shearwater, a 1920's, 82 foot yacht. It sails from lower Manhattan (Battery Park City), rain or shine.
Chime in with your thoughts and availability.
7/31-8/2: A Weekend With Scott Harvey Cheron98 and jwink are working with Scott to put together a Michigan Wine Weekend tour in the Traverse City area. Please post if you are interested in attending!

August
8/15: Detroit #?: Superspryte is Back In Town! Our Sparkly-loving, T-shirt-designing Superspryte is returning from the Far East. Come celebrate!

Looking for some helping hands:
TBD: Bay Area/NorCal Interest Thread Calling all the SF Bay Area Wine Wooters…mgdsh, tenuki, and some of the other locals are chiming in to get their own gatherings going!
TBD: SE Florida #1 Are you in South Florida? Bkarney & ERMD are looking for wineaux to join them in some tasting goodness.
TBD: Houston #1 Alfisti13 is calling all of the Houston Area wine wooters…are you interested in getting together?
TBD: German Goodness in Rockford, IL Subinsignia would like to plan Teutonic Festivities at the local Rathskeller!

You just missed…
3/20-21: Virtual Tasting: March Merlot Madness!!! 3/20: NYC #10: Southern Rhone at the “A Cafe"
3/21: Detroit #5: Spring Thaw – Break out the Grill
3/28: SoCal #8 It’s a “We're too busy drinking to Build Your Own Corrado’s WineCubes” party. So just bring a bottle or two.

~~~ We now return you to your regularly scheduled GTKY Thread. ~~~

So join or create your own Wine.Woot gathering now!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

daprakash

psmurf wrote:No shipping to Georgia??
~it happens I guess~

Ordinarily I would agree with you. In this case, however, I'm somewhat thankful for my wallet's sake. There have been too many good wines on Woot recently that I've been stockpiling. Plus this gives me a chance to spend what little I have left on a couple of bottles of Sean Thackrey Durif.

javadrinker

Corrado wrote:If it means anything to you, I wasn't that impressed with the Vallee when I had it a few months after purchasing, but I REALLY liked it about 18 mos later when I had the second bottle (and it didn't seem to be waning).

Two of these wines weren't in CellarTracker yet, so they're likely pretty new to the market. Most New World wine is released "ready to drink," but if these are like the last Kunde set I bought, they'll likely be improve for a few years in the cellar.

Wholeheartedly agree. I just checked my tasting notes on CT from the previous offering and there is definitely that trend present. I wasn't impressed with the bottles I opened soon after purchase but all showed marked improvement after a year or so.

That being said, I may be in on this one but I think I'll wait for some labrat feedback.

Cesare

Corrado wrote:IIRC, a lot of "Bottle Shock" was shot at Kunde.

True!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
daprakash wrote:I believe you are correct. Viognier is used in the Rhône region (and California, I guess)to soften Syrah reds.

Since when do Syrah's need to be softened?

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Corrado wrote:IIRC, a lot of "Bottle Shock" was shot at Kunde.

Great wine... terrible movie.

I saw it at the Vaynerchuk preview. It's just full of surprises. Like for example, just when you don't think it can get any worse, it does.

Love me some Kunde though, esp. the Syrah. Definitely in.

For those of you who don't know, Kunde is pretty much right next door to Wellington. Personally, I think I'm going to do a side-by-side with the Syrahs and Merlots.

bigfrank

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bigfrank

I have had Kunde wines before, Got them from Winestilsoldout.com and paid about $10 or $11 a bottle.

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

esperanto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages esperanto
Cesare wrote:All 3 are Sonoma Valley. You can see it on the bottle if you expand the picture.

maybe i have had too much wine tonight but it certainly wasn't jumping out at me looking at the blown up picture... and the year behind it doesn't really help.

first woot ever: Rinfrescante (before wine.woot!)
wine.woots:MandolinaCase, JanKris, EmergencyHoliday, Pedroncelli, Toothstejn, WorldWineChallenge, TyCaton, 101Wines, DustedValley, Wellington3pack, Bargetto, MacRostie

CellarTracker!: VinoVeritasVosLiberabit

Wine and Science in the Finger Lakes

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo
iByron wrote:The winemaker will have their own reasons, but two that leap to mind are aromatics and color maintenance. It's also a long-standing Rhône tradition: some of the traditional Chateauneuf-du-Pape red grapes are white.

Odds are pretty good that the Viognier was co-fermented. That's important as fermentation is a chemical process. The addition of the Viognier before fermentation means what comes out is actually different chemically from fermenting them individually and blending afterward. This bumps up the aromatics big-time and, at least according to some, helps the wine maintain its bright color.

That's the 30,000-foot view. The winemaker will likely have stuff to add specific to this blend.

iByron

I love, iByron, your "according to some" disclaimer on the coloring notes. Some people do vehemently insist there's better color extraction out of the syrah with the cofermentation and maceration. Others insist that explanation is bunk, and that the awesome floral, sometimes slightly sweetish (not literally sweet, just evocative OF sweetness) characteristics of the viognier simply is a natural dance partner to darn good syrah juice (much like, e.g., grenache and mourvedre and a host of others in Chateauneuf also play super nicely with syrah).

Either way, when it comes down to it, if you really want to know what difference it makes, go find a syrah-viognier cofermented blend and compare it to some straight syrahs you can find at the same price point. People do this for a freakin' reason. In my experience, almost universally, the cofermented version kicks the pants off the syrah-alone. It takes a special Syrah batch to hold its own against the cofermented blend.

EDIT: Sorry I missed somes stuff above -- I would buy into the trying-to-emulate-the-proper-ripeness concept above, but I think even in "ideal" syrah vineyards today (if there is such a thing), the viognier is maintained because it does add a touch of complexity to the wine that otherwise might not be there. Any winemaker input on this or the above? I'm a syrah-lover and curious about both historical and present-day uses.

javadrinker

thatguy314 wrote:Great wine... terrible movie.

I saw it at the Vaynerchuk preview. It's just full of surprises. Like for example, just when you don't think it can get any worse, it does.

For those of you who don't know, Kunde is pretty much right next door to Wellington. Personally, I think I'm going to do a side-by-side with the Syrahs and Merlots.

Oh bah humbug...I enjoyed the movie. Of course I was pretty liquored up...can you have wine goggles for movies?

daprakash

auggie24 wrote:Since when do Syrah's need to be softened?

I can identify with your sentiment. My guess would be that the addition of a small amount of Viognier appeals to those that find Syrah to be too powerfully flavored. I do know that in Australia some producers of "Shiraz" have been labelling their wines as "Shiraz Viognier" even though the Viognier added is somewhat minimal. I think even more Viognier can be added to Syrah-based wines in the Côte-Rôtie AOC.

BCBunny99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BCBunny99

My wife and I visited Kunde vineyards a few years ago and tried these wines. They were pretty good, though I was already pretty drunk during our 10 vineyard tasting run. This is a good price for 3 bottles.

Woot! + Sellout count: 31 (2 BoCs)
Shirt count: 18 (2 random, never again...)
RIP: SAY NO TO SCURVY

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo

The book is "The Judgment of Paris" and it's spectacular. If the movie hasn't ruined it for you already ;)

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7

FWIW I think the Vallee de la Lune that was sent to me was corked because I doubt anyone here would have finished the bottle. The other two bottles that were offered, however, turned out to be decent.

EDIT: will definitely be waiting on the labrats for this one

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz (aka TimByrd), his friend "I", and I saw it and we all liked it.

Also, Kunde was the winemaker for Humbug, MonkeyPrize, and Polyphemus IIRC.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

in for one just cause I like the idea of a GSM+V wine.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
dodongo wrote:I would buy into the trying-to-emulate-the-proper-ripeness concept above, but I think even in "ideal" syrah vineyards today (if there is such a thing), the viognier is maintained because it does add a touch of complexity to the wine that otherwise might not be there.

Morgan Clendenen collaborates with Condrieu vintner Yves Cuilleron and regularly travels to the Northern Rhone. Certainly today in Australia, for example, co-fermentation would be done for reasons other than ripeness. But based on the source and her expertise on all things Viognier, the historical explanation is likely true. Analogous explanations apply to blending in Bordeaux as well, like why there isn't much late ripening Petit Verdot planted.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

smartheart

Corrado wrote:If it means anything to you, I wasn't that impressed with the Vallee when I had it a few months after purchasing, but I REALLY liked it about 18 mos later when I had the second bottle (and it didn't seem to be waning).

Thanks, Corrado. I drank my one Vallee faily soon after it arrived--your personal experience indicates if I buy it again I should hold it a bit before drinking.

We'll see what the winemaker has to say agingwise about the Vallee and the other two wines included in this trio.

--D. Parker

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

I'm a big fan of anything Kunde! I've had the Syrah and really enjoyed it! Mr. Kunde came to my favorite little wine shop in Chicago (Cafe Pyrenees) a while back and I did an 8 course Tapas dinner with a full Kunde pairing.

It must be good if it pulled me out of the rock I'm under, right?!

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

I got a set. I have a hard time passing on Merlot.
I am avail.