stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown
MarkDaSpark wrote:I thought that was the Big Lebowski and Elvis?

Their CD will be the first offering on Metal.Woot.
OK, I made that up.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
JOATMON wrote: I bet you can't up your order. Wine.Woot now transmits the order directly to the winery, and your order confirmation is a confirmation that the winery has accepted the order. The last time I tried to up, customer service said they no longer can once the order has been transmitted to the winery. I think the days of being able to up orders are gone.

Maybe it depends on the winery. I was able to do it back in January, but it was on a Scott Harvey order.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
cortot20 wrote:I personally did not care for the other 09 black zep. PS.
So I'm not ready to drop another $50 on its older brother. More for the rest of you I guess.

I have enjoyed Stillman's other wines though.

Sorry, I can't agree with you. There was a night and day difference between opening a bottle when it arrived 01/2011 and opening one up last month. I thought it was delicious!

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive
bkarlan wrote:Anything with the Stillman name will sellout here. It is like giving a toddler an open bag of M&Ms, before ou realize it, it is gone and all the other toddlers are screaming because they didn't get any.

Jut wait till the mid day tomorrow, there will be a lot of whining.

^
I pulled the trigger for 4 bottles. I've started getting into the PS and this seems to be a good start with the WW crowd.

stillmanbrown

jmdavidson wrote:Sorry, I can't agree with you. There was a night and day difference between opening a bottle when it arrived 01/2011 and opening one up last month. I thought it was delicious!

Thanks. It did resolve the youthful whiff and dumbness sometime last summer. Stupidly, I have almost none left - the woot sale went well, and I opened a tasting room in August.
I mean I have three bottles.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jmdavidson wrote:Sorry, I can't agree with you. There was a night and day difference between opening a bottle when it arrived 01/2011 and opening one up last month. I thought it was delicious!

I always try to let my wines rest after shipping before opening. (Yes Virginia, MdS does open his wines! Rarely, but it does happen!)

Some wines are more prone IMO to "Bottle Shock", while others seem to not mind shipping. I opened a Washington Pinot as a Volunteer Labrat back in the old days (when there were only 2 offers a week), and it was not good at all. Later, I thought it was more due to bottle shock than to it being a bad bottle.

So if you open a bottle right after you receive it, and it's not good, it might be more due to bottle shock than the wine being "bad".

Edit: I did not find any faults with this one, since I received my winery labrat bottle today and opened it today. It did rest for at least 6 hours before I opened it.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

teebodo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages teebodo
stillmanbrown wrote: [edit] and I opened a tasting room in August.

Stillman, the profile text for RZ mentions no tasting room - you have one now?...

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:True ... unless it sells out, in which case it's moot at that point.

AND "cheeses"? Really? Fine. It goes with the "labrat" part. But still ....

Otter be a rule against silly jokes at this hour, but there isn't

I'm just hanging out, really.

stillmanbrown

That's two amazing Vintners Voicemails I've done that haven't made it onto the site . . . flagrant innuendo and obscenity, true, but they were pretty funny.

Verdejo, Verdelho, Vermentino!

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

OK, I'm yielding to the presumed Wisdom of the Mob here - in for one.

And yeah ... definitely let ANY wine sit and settle, even if bought at your local. They're subjected to so much jostling; even your ride home in your Toyota LandBruiser or your Pious or whatever it is you motor around in. Give the bottles some time.

stillmanbrown

teebodo wrote:Stillman, the profile text for RZ mentions no tasting room - you have one now?...

Yes, in Morro Bay, about half an hour from Paso Robles. It's well hidden - no buses in the parking lot, etc. I live on the coast, so it's convenient for office work, appointments, and cage dancing photo shoots. If you're coming to the area, blow up my phone!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

So I haven't ordered wine since Dec. '09...I think it may be time to change that...

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
stillmanbrown wrote:Yes, in Morro Bay, about half an hour from Paso Robles. It's well hidden - no buses in the parking lot, etc. I live on the coast, so it's convenient for office work, appointments, and cage dancing photo shoots. If you're coming to the area, blow up my phone!

Morro Bay ... Los Ossos ... gotta get back there.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Stillman did say what is quoted below during the original sale.

I waited two months to open one.

Gave it lots of air, drank over two days and it never seemed to improve. I have one more and will try it again someday and hopefully will be proven wrong.

Dec 9, 2010 10:28 PM

stillmanbrown wrote:I've been pleasantly surprised at how the wine's shown - even before it was fully out of the 'bottle shock' period, and of course I have the opinions of friends and a few strangers, so I'd say you should open one bottle this month. Nobody who wildly prefers Merlot or Pinot (for structural/tannic/palate reasons) is going to like 90% of PS anyway . . .
CT

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:

Otter be a rule against silly jokes at this hour, but there isn't

What late hour??? It's not even 11 pm!!!

What? You don't know how to resize images?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:So I haven't ordered wine since Dec. '09...I think it may be time to change that...

I'd say so!!!

stillmanbrown

Two PNs this year, Seventh Heaven above Cayucos and Derbyshire above San Simeon. That is, if it doesn't rain during flowering again.

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Got two, but now beginning to feel the guilt on my wallet. hope this suffering gets rewarded. yum yum.

stillmanbrown

Nobody's asked me about biodynamic Velcorin yet . . .

inkycatz

stillmanbrown wrote:Nobody's asked me about biodynamic Velcorin yet . . .

I'm not even sure what that means.

stillmanbrown

Last week a friend emailed me a picture of a couple of tough looking guys holding a bottle of my "Death To The Infidel Zinfandel" - at the gates of Mogadishu, Somalia. One's an American (out of uniform) . . . the other's French SF, and he grabbed some foie gras from their supply plane to go with it.
I can't post the picture publicly - they're 'in the business' - but come by the Hangar and I'll show you.

inkycatz

MarkDaSpark wrote:What late hour??? It's not even 11 pm!!!

What? You don't know how to resize images?

Emphasis!

Day mod tends to start her day way early. ;)

stillmanbrown

inkycatz wrote:I'm not even sure what that means.

Winemaker joke. Biodynamic is woo-woo vineyard practices, old school new age (Rudolf Steiner) that sounds kinky but is really sort of pseudo-holier-than-organic. Velcorin is dimethyl dicarbonate, which when added to wine in TINY quantities offs yeast and most bacteria, then breaks down into neglibible levels of methanol and carbon dioxide within hours. So, it's something like 'vegan foie gras'.

stillmanbrown

Burying a leopard skull full of methamphetamine at the north corner of a Zinfandel vineyard is a common practice in Paso Robles.

inkycatz

stillmanbrown wrote:Winemaker joke.

I'm feeling preciously elite now with this extra info. Stand back, world.

stillmanbrown

inkycatz wrote:I'm feeling preciously elite now with this extra info. Stand back, world.

The secret handshake involves dropping a beer while driving a forklift.

Okay, I made that up too.

stillmanbrown

I'm going to burn a gorilla mint and take a five hour nap. Troll on without me!

inkycatz

stillmanbrown wrote:I'm going to burn a gorilla mint and take a five hour nap. Troll on without me!

Sleep well, we'll see what fun and merriment we can have waiting upon your return!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:What late hour??? It's not even 11 pm!!!

Heck, it's not even 9pm here.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

thekla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thekla

so, advice needed, I usually stick mostly to whites, but this sounds good, is it in fact a good one to try to bring me to the dark side?

Draedan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draedan

In for 1...well, probably 2. I've always enjoyed Stillman's wines and my last two bottles of Zeppelin wines were consumed this month. Perfect timing.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
MarkDaSpark wrote:Dang it!!! Teach me to take the time to go for 2 sets instead of 1 set. No first sucker this time (although I'm surprised PetiteSirah didn't get it either!)

Heard you did some wine judging this past weekend!

jlemos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlemos

In for one!

Fedex guy referring to my woot wine boxes: "Didn't i just deliver some of these to you last week?"

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

Has the "I want one!" button's font been changed to match the sophistication of this particular wine, or the wine.woot site, in general???

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:Emphasis!

Day mod tends to start her day way early. ;)

Well, it helps to not drink up so much of the product at night!

And of course, we all know how hard you work ....

MarkDaSpark

thekla wrote:so, advice needed, I usually stick mostly to whites, but this sounds good, is it in fact a good one to try to bring me to the dark side?

Possibly, but if you don't like tannins, then the Dark Side (PS) may not be for you.

You might want to try the Bogle PS, usually found at Trader Joe's (and elsewhere) for somewhere in the vicinity of $10. That's a good starter PS.

But this is really nice now. Been sipping all night long. So you could always buy it now, let it sit for a month, try the Bogle, and then try it. You can then sell it (at a deep discount, of course!) to one of the PSadawans.

MarkDaSpark

winedrew wrote:Heard you did some wine judging this past weekend!

Yep, mentioned it in one of the posts. Pics (and link) in the Pub.

NWIWC where Scott Harvey is one of the Assistant Chief Judges! And they still want me back for next year too! WOOT!

MarkDaSpark

Okay, ...

Peace Out!

bogie13w00t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bogie13w00t

In for three. I love this stuff! Ordering too much (not enough?) Black Zeppelin on Woot has become a bit of a ritual.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, ...

Peace Out!

Poor inky had to take a detour out of bed to cover when TWC's equipment decided to slow my Internet speed to a crawl at 12:05am. Talk about bad timing.

Now, she sleeps.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders