CT link above

Winery website

Red Zeppelin on Facebook

Previous offer:
12/10/10 (non-Hames)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Oh My Gookie! !! well well... Nice

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Black Zeppelin Petite Sirah
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: fwWNZOLc7aEKE8
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.083s
Last wooter to woot: trifecta

In for 3! Great price. Same as non designate.

7 seconds??? Who is this fwWNZOLc7aEKE8???

Edit: At only 112 cases, this will surely sell out. Don't wait till morning.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Dang it!!! Teach me to take the time to go for 2 sets instead of 1 set. No first sucker this time (although I'm surprised PetiteSirah didn't get it either!)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Well, I could be reading a good book - finishing one, to be precise - but here I am to answer your questions, technical and trollish!

Oh, and Wine Woot wisely rejected my first Vintners Voicemail . . . I can send it as an MP3 to anyone interested. These guys helped:

http://www.stillmanbrown.blogspot.com/2012/03/our-spokesmodels.html

stillmanbrown

Two very short videos (Pink and Brown Zeppelin AVI, respectively) at http://www.youtube.com/stillmanbrown

Oh yeah - clone 3 petite sirah, medium/heavy toast AO and HO, about 40% new. Some of the six barrels made were half barrels. Denser than the last Black Zeppelin, though not unrelated.

stillmanbrown

trifecta wrote:Black Zeppelin Petite Sirah
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: fwWNZOLc7aEKE8
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.083s
Last wooter to woot: trifecta

In for 3! Great price. Same as non designate.

7 seconds??? Who is this fwWNZOLc7aEKE8???

Well, WW doesn't get all 112 cases, though I will likely have to cough up more than half. That's a marketing expression, not a reaction to guzzling two bottles in five minutes.

trifecta

stillmanbrown wrote:Well, I could be reading a good book - finishing one, to be precise - but here I am to answer your questions, technical and trollish!

Oh, and Wine Woot wisely rejected my first Vintners Voicemail . . . I can send it as an MP3 to anyone interested. These guys helped:

http://www.stillmanbrown.blogspot.com/2012/03/our-spokesmodels.html

Stillman. In for 3. Tasted this courtesy of you and PS after D&D. Can you throw down some info on aging and what to expect long term with this wine?

trifecta

stillmanbrown wrote:Well, WW doesn't get all 112 cases, though I will likely have to cough up more than half. That's a marketing expression, not a reaction to guzzling two bottles in five minutes.

Understood. Thats why I know it will sell out!

teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6

So is this a wine you should enjoy on a special occasion, or is this the kind of wine you could have any ordinary day?

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Some unenthusiastic reviews here: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1051422

(I know ... sorry to be a party pooper ...)

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

How do the Standard Black Zeppelin and the Hames Valley Black Zeppelin differ in taste?

sdfreedive

sdbcmr wrote:Some unenthusiastic reviews here: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1051422

That appears to be the standard Black Zeppelin and not the Hames which is the current offering.

ajalder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajalder

In for 2!

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66
sdbcmr wrote:Some unenthusiastic reviews here: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1051422

Your link is not the same wine. This is the Hames Valley. See Cesare's link above.

stillmanbrown

trifecta wrote:Stillman. In for 3. Tasted this courtesy of you and PS after D&D. Can you throw down some info on aging and what to expect long term with this wine?

I'm trying to stay out of the sun, and party with a lot of young people. Tannic structure is 'moderate' and part fruit, part oak - that said, it was in barrel almost two years so it did get a chance to open and soften before bottling. If I only had two bottles I'd open one soon and the other in 5 years.

sdbcmr

sdfreedive wrote:That appears to be the standard Black Zeppelin and not the Hames which is the current offering.

Point taken ... could find no notes on the Hames vineyard specifically.

I'm still wary.

sdfreedive

sdbcmr wrote:Point taken ... could find no notes on the Hames vineyard specifically.

I'm still wary.

Agreed I'm also wondering on the difference and if Hames Valley contributes fruit to the standard and if not why not?

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:How do the Standard Black Zeppelin and the Hames Valley Black Zeppelin differ in taste?

The Monterey was softer and bottled younger, I remember a commenter remarking on young vinuous/musty aromas that blew off, it was more blueberry with lighter tannins. This Hames Valley is bigger, denser blackberry/blueberry, and doesn't smell like compost.

MarkDaSpark

Winery Labrat (got it from Stillman today).

We also had a bottle of this at the Dark & Delicious After-Party, which everyone enjoyed!

Tonight's report: YUM! or in Leet terms: NOM! NOM! NOM!

It is a deep velvet purple, bordering on black, incredibly dark with thick, prominent drip legs legs. Not much heat on the nose or tongue, surprising since it is 14.7% alcohol.

Some almost face smashing tannins after 15 minutes open (on second larger, taste), but those had mostly disappeared after 40 minutes or so after opening, leaving some nice tannins.

Seems like a nicely balanced wine that can drink well now or be held for a while. Even though drinking most PS wines this early is considered infanticide by PetiteSirah, our leading expert and PSith Master.

While most PS wines are excellent with Lamb or BBQ dishes, I've had them with steak & Prime Rib as well, and they've worked well. This would go well with most beef, lamb, & pork dishes.

I give it an 89-90 score.

After drinking tonight's Petite Sirah!

Edit: Oh, and I went in for 2 sets, but will probably email service to up it to 3. Only went 2 while trying for 1st sucker. In retrospect, I should have just planned on emailing Service to up it to 3 to begin with. Darn Time Machine is on the fritz!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
stillmanbrown wrote:Well, WW doesn't get all 112 cases, though I will likely have to cough up more than half. That's a marketing expression, not a reaction to guzzling two bottles in five minutes.

I'm SO addicted to WW! In for 3. Maxed out on every offer the last 3 days. FEDEX guy make have an intervention.

sdbcmr

MarkDaSpark wrote:Winery Labrat (got it from Stillman today).

We also had a bottle of this at the Dark & Delicious After-Party, which everyone enjoyed!

Tonight's report: YUM! or in Leet terms: NOM! NOM! NOM!

It is a deep velvet purple, bordering on black, incredibly dark with thick, prominent drip legs legs. Not much heat on the nose or tongue, surprising since it is 14.7% alcohol.

Some almost face smashing tannins after 15 minutes open (on second larger, taste), but those had mostly disappeared after 40 minutes or so after opening, leaving some nice tannins.

Seems like a nicely balanced wine that can drink well now or be held for a while. Even though drinking most PS wines this early is considered infanticide by PetiteSirah, our leading expert and PSith Master.

While most PS wines are excellent with Lamb or BBQ dishes, I've had them with steak & Prime Rib as well, and they've worked well. This would go well with most beef, lamb, & pork dishes.

I give it an 89-90 score.

After drinking tonight's Petite Sirah!

Thanks, MdaS ... that's useful and helpful.

stillmanbrown

teenracer6 wrote:So is this a wine you should enjoy on a special occasion, or is this the kind of wine you could have any ordinary day?

One for each?

MarkDaSpark

teenracer6 wrote:So is this a wine you should enjoy on a special occasion, or is this the kind of wine you could have any ordinary day?

Yes.

Sorry, couldn't resist. You could do both, and not go wrong. Just let it breathe for a while, tasting every so often to see where you like it.

zora

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zora

In for (only) one since I can't seem to drink down my supply of Stillman's juice.

luisifer777

Sorry for my ignorance. So how good is this wine. For example if Jesus will want to turn water to wine, this will be the result?.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Edit: Oh, and I went in for 2 sets, but will probably email service to up it to 3. Only went 2 while trying for 1st sucker. In retrospect, I should have just planned on emailing Service to up it to 3 to begin with. Darn Time Machine is on the fritz!!!

You didn't get first sucker because you were not the first one to push the "I Want One" button. The time you push the "I Want One" button is by and large the time used to determine first sucker. Once you push that button you have a little time to complete the order and still keep your time.

And, I bet you can't up your order. Wine.Woot now transmits the order directly to the winery, and your order confirmation is a confirmation that the winery has accepted the order. The last time I tried to up, customer service said they no longer can once the order has been transmitted to the winery. I think the days of being able to up orders are gone.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

luisifer777 wrote:Sorry for my ignorance. So how good is this wine. For example if Jesus will want to turn water to wine, this will be the result?.

If you are a PSith PSadawan, then the answer is a resounding YES!

However, if you are a heretic, then double YES!

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:You didn't get first sucker because you were not the first one to push the "I Want One" button. The time you push the "I Want One" button is by and large the time used to determine first sucker. Once you push that button you have a little time to complete the order and still keep your time.

And, I bet you can't up your order. Wine.Woot now transmits the order directly to the winery, and your order confirmation is a confirmation that the winery has accepted the order. The last time I tried to up, customer service said they no longer can once the order has been transmitted to the winery. I think the days of being able to up orders are gone.

Spoilsport!!!! Just wait til the RPM tour! See if I hold any wine for you next time!

coursair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coursair

In for 1 and dang you WW. How did you know I've been craving some Petite Sirah?

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I personally did not care for the other 09 black zep. PS.
So I'm not ready to drop another $50 on its older brother. More for the rest of you I guess.

I have enjoyed Stillman's other wines though.

CT

stillmanbrown

Spokesmodels/tasting panel.

MarkDaSpark

sdbcmr wrote:Thanks, MdaS ... that's useful and helpful.

No problem, glad it helped.

And that's after two days (Sun/Mon) of judging wine for the New World Int'l Wine Competition (NWIWC) in Ontario. Although I only got to taste one PS there

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Spoilsport!!!! Just wait til the RPM tour! See if I hold any wine for you next time!

It never hurts to ask CS!

I'm just hanging out, really.

luisifer777

stillmanbrown wrote:

Tasting panel.

Well that answered my question, it seems that Jesus is in the tasting room.

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I personally did not care for the other 09 black zep. PS.
So I'm not ready to drop another $50 on its older brother. More for the rest of you I guess.

I have enjoyed Stillman's other wines though.

I think this is a different vineyard, so different aroma/taste.

BUT ... you figure you can weasel one from me later, since you are friends with my nephews. HAH! No PS for you!

MarkDaSpark

luisifer777 wrote:Well that answered my question, it seems that Jesus is in the tasting room.

I thought that was the Big Lebowski and Elvis?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
trifecta wrote:

Anything with the Stillman name will sellout here. It is like giving a toddler an open bag of M&Ms, before ou realize it, it is gone and all the other toddlers are screaming because they didn't get any.

Jut wait till the mid day tomorrow, there will be a lot of whining.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

MarkDaSpark

inkycatz wrote:It never hurts to ask CS!

True ... unless it sells out, in which case it's moot at that point.

AND "cheeses"? Really? Fine. It goes with the "labrat" part. But still ....