Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
9/18/09 (non-estate)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Ok, given that it is Wellington, a Vertical, and 05-07, the question isn't buy or not, the question is 1, 2, or 3.

Questions for Peter -

1) Where is this on the range of spicy to jammy zins?
2) Drinking window?
3) How much tannin do these have?
4) Lastly: I love your Victory reserve, how might this compare/contrast?

Thanks for bringing these to us!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Just buy this now, and thank us later. The 05 is my favourite Zinfandel. Ever.
Wait.. that's his ordinary Zin. this is the Estate, and we assume it's even better!
So, how is this better than the cheaper Zin?!

This is about 33% off the $30 retail.

Edit. For the easily-amused, after the wrong-wine CT debacle, there are now a couple of interesting re-edited CT links hanging around looking odd, such as this one:
http://www.cellartracker.com/new/wine.asp?iWine=1182069

labgrant

quality posts: 2 Private Messages labgrant

Stoked, must consider re-upping for more. I'm not sure I will resist opening these.

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

From the website re the 2005 vintage:

"2005 was a warm vintage, and this wine shows it, with aromas of sun baked blackberries, black currant and licorice. It has great complexity, with new aromas at every whiff: dried herbs, chocolate, molasses, hints of tar and prunes. True to form, our 2005 Estate bottled Zinfandel is what the French would call a masculine wine – muscular and structured, big, but not sweet. It is dark, rich and highly concentrated with a good level of acid that keeps the flavors fresh and lively and balances the 15.5% alcohol. The flavors are predominantly of tart cherry and blackberry, and the finish is long and solid without being excessively astringent or hot. This is a very big wine, but, as with all our wines, has balance.

Typical of our Estate Zins, this wine should age well for at least ten years. Our Zinfandel is field blended with small amounts of Durif (aka Petite Sirah), Syrah, Tempranillo, Carignan and Mourvedre, all planted in 1892."

Should age well for a long time. I'm going to lay mine down for at least 3 years, I think. I will also most likely drink the 2006 before the 2005 or the 2007, which is probably going to last the longest.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

An easy 'must buy' for anyone who hasn't enjoyed Wellington yet - Congrats on another offer, SB.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

05' sells for $30 a piece on his website, seems like a descent discount.

As a Club member, I often ask myself why do I even keep the membership when Wellington is featured so often on W.W. at often greater discounts than the club gets. But then I remember that the club shipments are essentially just a sampler and if anything I loved comes up here I can buy all I want.

So keep it up Peter, I enjoy all the opportunity's we get to buy your wine at a good discount.

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I'm a little confused on the CT for this one. Does Wellington always make an estate and a non-estate Zin? It looks like this was the case at least in 2005.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cmaldoon

Are the '06 and '07 even released yet? I see on the vineyard site is the '05 and it has a "New release" label!

I wonder if we can get an in the box special for some of the '04s (for comparison with the old stock)or the '08s (assuming the latter are bottled and labeled)

My Cellar

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
cortot20 wrote:05' sells for $30 a piece on his website, seems like a descent discount.

As a Club member, I often ask myself why do I even keep the membership when Wellington is featured so often on W.W. at often greater discounts than the club gets. But then I remember that the club shipments are essentially just a sampler and if anything I loved comes up here I can buy all I want.

So keep it up Peter, I enjoy all the opportunity's we get to buy your wine at a good discount.

Quoted for truth. Been a club member for two years now, and I certainly still purchase from w.w when it comes around. I don't think I can ever get enough Wellington. The style is almost perfect for what I want in a wine.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
cmaldoon wrote:Ok, given that it is Wellington, a Vertical, and 05-07, the question isn't buy or not, the question is 1, 2, or 3.

Questions for Peter -

1) Where is this on the range of spicy to jammy zins?
2) Drinking window?
3) How much tannin do these have?
4) Lastly: I love your Victory reserve, how might this compare/contrast?

Thanks for bringing these to us!

1) Much more on the spicy side. There is a lot of fruit, but more of the slightly tart, bright, fresh fruit than the raisiny, jammy, ultra-ripe type.
2) Up to ten years from vintage date, then all bets are off.
3) These are fairly tannic for Zin. Not as tannic as some Amador Zins, but these aren't the sweet, jammy, oaky style.
4) I strive for a balance between the different elements in all my wines. I also want to be faithful to the grape / wine type. Zinfandel typically doesn't have as much depth and concentration or complexity as good Cabernet. Victory is my best Cabernet based wine. This is my best Zinfandel.

cmaldoon

redwinefan wrote:I'm a little confused on the CT for this one. Does Wellington always make an estate and a non-estate Zin? It looks like this was the case at least in 2005.

Yes he does as explained in his voicemail. Price points are $30 for his estate stuff which gets a reasonable portion of its fruit from 100+ year vines, and $18 for the Sonoma valley stuff which I would assume is still good stuff, just slightly lower quality grapes, same fantastic winemaker.

My Cellar

richardhod

redwinefan wrote:I'm a little confused on the CT for this one. Does Wellington always make an estate and a non-estate Zin? It looks like this was the case at least in 2005.

he did in 05.. the non-estate retails for $18. I'm sure PW will be on here to explain the difference...

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
cmaldoon wrote:Are the '06 and '07 even released yet? I see on the vineyard site is the '05 and it has a "New release" label!

I wonder if we can get an in the box special for some of the '04s (for comparison with the old stock)or the '08s (assuming the latter are bottled and labeled)

Per the Vintner Voicemail, The 05' is his first estate Zin.

Edit: CT says otherwise. I will take that back. Looks like there was an estate 04'

CT

redwinefan

cmaldoon wrote:Yes he does as explained in his voicemail. Price points are $30 for his estate stuff which gets a reasonable portion of its fruit from 100+ year vines, and $18 for the Sonoma valley stuff which I would assume is still good stuff, just slightly lower quality grapes, same fantastic winemaker.

*edit* Cesare's links are correct now!

SonomaBouliste

We've bottled an estate Zin every year except one (2000) since 1989. We've bottled other vineyard designated Zins over the years, and a non-vineyard designate Sonoma County or Sonoma Valley Zin since 1996. We added a Meeks Hilltop Ranch vineyard designate in 2003, and have had three Zins each year since then.

SonomaBouliste

cmaldoon wrote:Are the '06 and '07 even released yet? I see on the vineyard site is the '05 and it has a "New release" label!

2005 is the current release (not that new - we don't update our website often enough) at the winery.

redwinefan

SonomaBouliste wrote:We've bottled an estate Zin every year except one (2000) since 1989. We've bottled other vineyard designated Zins over the years, and a non-vineyard designate Sonoma County or Sonoma Valley Zin since 1996. We added a Meeks Hilltop Ranch vineyard designate in 2003, and have had three Zins each year since then.

Thanks Peter. I have the Meek's 2006 Zin from a previous Woot. How would you stay this style compares to that one?

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:Per the Vintner Voicemail, The 05' is his first estate Zin.

Edit: CT says otherwise. I will take that back. Looks like there was an estate 04'

"05 was the first year we used any wine from our young vines in the Estate bottling. From '89 through '04 it was strictly from old vines, planted in 1892, now 119 years old.

SonomaBouliste

thrawn1020 wrote:From the website re the 2005 vintage:

"2005 was a warm vintage, and this wine shows it, with aromas of sun baked blackberries, black currant and licorice. It has great complexity, with new aromas at every whiff: dried herbs, chocolate, molasses, hints of tar and prunes. True to form, our 2005 Estate bottled Zinfandel is what the French would call a masculine wine – muscular and structured, big, but not sweet. It is dark, rich and highly concentrated with a good level of acid that keeps the flavors fresh and lively and balances the 15.5% alcohol. The flavors are predominantly of tart cherry and blackberry, and the finish is long and solid without being excessively astringent or hot. This is a very big wine, but, as with all our wines, has balance.

Typical of our Estate Zins, this wine should age well for at least ten years. Our Zinfandel is field blended with small amounts of Durif (aka Petite Sirah), Syrah, Tempranillo, Carignan and Mourvedre, all planted in 1892."

Should age well for a long time. I'm going to lay mine down for at least 3 years, I think. I will also most likely drink the 2006 before the 2005 or the 2007, which is probably going to last the longest.

Someone (I don't think it was me) must have copied and pasted some of this from the notes for a previous vintage. The 2005 is not completely from ancient vines; it's the first vintage to include some wine from younger vines.

SonomaBouliste

redwinefan wrote:Thanks Peter. I have the Meek's 2006 Zin from a previous Woot. How would you stay this style compares to that one?

The Meeks Hilltop is fruitier, more straightforward, not as tannic or concentrated. The Estate has more spice, more tannin and more acid. It needs more time to come into its prime, and will age longer than the Meeks.

richardhod

SonomaBouliste wrote:The Meeks Hilltop is fruitier, more straightforward, not as tannic or concentrated. The Estate has more spice, more tannin and more acid. It needs more time to come into its prime, and will age longer than the Meeks.

hi Peter! How's the weather treating your grapes this month?

Wondering: can you describe how it differs with the ordinary Wellington Zin (no designation, rrp $18)? The 05 is rather a good one...

SonomaBouliste

richardhod wrote:And can you describe how it differs with the ordinary Wellington Zin (no designation, rrp $18)? The 05 is rather a good one...

Hi Richard,

Except for a few days in the 90's in early July it's been another extremely cool year so far. We're even later than last year. Upcoming: a blog about the effects of global climate change on grapes and wine.

The Estate bottling has more of everything. More fruit, more tannin, more acid, (slightly) more alcohol, greater depth and length.

PS: My partner and I won the regional mixed doubles Gold medal in petanque a week ago yesterday. We beat a couple of national champions in the final - she's been on the US team at the world championships three times, and he's a multi-time national champion who made the US team this year.

richardhod

SonomaBouliste wrote:More of everything. More fruit, more tannin, more acid, (slightly) more alcohol, greater depth and length.

lovely.
Ah, so more wine too: 1000ml bottles then? ;)

Except for a few days in the 90's in early July it's been another extremely cool year so far. We're even later than last year. Upcoming: a blog about the effects of global climate change on grapes and wine.

Wonderful! Surprising it's making things cooler. Or maybe just less predicable. Being in and from England, I'm used to variability. Yesterday afternoon it was alternatingly raining cats and dogs and then lovely bright sunshine. Every 50 minutes!

PS: My partner and I won the regional mixed doubles Gold medal in petanque a week ago yesterday. We beat a couple of national champions in the final - she's been on the US team at the world championships three times, and he's a multi-time national champion who made the US team this year.

Congrats! Hope to have a game with (or a drubbing from) you in mid-August if you're around

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere

great stuff. in for 3:
Wellington Vineyards Estate Zinfandel Vertical 2005, 2006, 2007 - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: DingleBarry
Speed to first woot: 1m 10.013s
Last wooter to woot: epistemologonhere

Glad to see a reformed character got in first for the quality booze! Where's Mill?

___

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Hmmm...now that El Jefe has the lead in my cellar (by a single bottle of futures, that is) over SB perhaps I should get this The great/horrible thing about CellarTracker is that I was able to check out my notes from the Meeks Ranch Zin from the case offering a while back. While I was hoping to confirm that it was just a standard wine, I said it was what zin was meant to be. Carp.

Then I realize this is the Estate zin. Presumably from those nice gnarly incredibly old vines out in front of and behind the winery. Double carp.

One or two?

SB, what can you tell us about the differences in the vintages?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

SonomaBouliste

richardhod wrote:lovely.
Ah, so more wine too: 1000ml bottles then? ;)

Just 1000ml worth of flavor ;)

SonomaBouliste

klezman wrote:Hmmm...now that El Jefe has the lead in my cellar (by a single bottle of futures, that is) over SB perhaps I should get this The great/horrible thing about CellarTracker is that I was able to check out my notes from the Meeks Ranch Zin from the case offering a while back. While I was hoping to confirm that it was just a standard wine, I said it was what zin was meant to be. Carp.

Then I realize this is the Estate zin. Presumably from those nice gnarly incredibly old vines out in front of and behind the winery. Double carp.

One or two?

SB, what can you tell us about the differences in the vintages?

All of these vintages were produced in similar fashion: Grapes were destemmed, with a high percentage of whole berries, into small open top fermenters, with cap management by frequent manual punchdown and pressing at dryness. The young vines and old vines were harvested and fermented separately, although some old vine Carignan was co-fermented with the young vine Zinfandel each year. Aging was carried out in one to four year old French oak (no new oak), and only a portion (based on taste) of the young vine wine blended with the old vine wine, 9 months after harvest. The wines were bottled unfined and unfiltered, after a total of 16-18 months in barrel.

Stats and tasting notes:

2005 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 15.3% alc., 3.45 pH, 199 cases produced. Tart cherry and raspberry aromas, with notes of briar, chocolate and raosted nuts. Full, rich and viscous, yet dry with a slightly tart finish. This wine is just now opening up, and has a lot of life left.

2006 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 14.8% alc., 3.51 pH, 195 cases produced. Cherry, blueberry and blackberry fruit aromas, with brown sugar and cinnamon notes. A rich entry, supple texture, full, dry, with a bit of firming tannin on the finish. Quite enjoyable now, even without food, but has at least 3-5 more years of aging potential.

2007 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 14.9% alc., 3.57 pH, 169 cases produced. Briar, black currant and blueberry aromas. A very concentrated, viscous, slightly tart fore palate with a chewy texture and dusty tannins. This one is still a baby, and has a lot of potential to develop more with extended aging. Best now with food, and a good candidate for your vinturi and/or decanter.

richardhod

klezman wrote:...blah... While I was hoping to confirm that it was just a standard wine, I said it was what zin was meant to be. Carp.

One or two?

Three woots.
Minimum.

SonomaBouliste

I'll be back in the morning; 'night all.

rlrct

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rlrct

Peter,

When are the tasting notes from? Recent or when bottled?

SonomaBouliste wrote:Stats and tasting notes:

2005 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 15.3% alc., 3.45 pH, 199 cases produced. Tart cherry and raspberry aromas, with notes of briar, chocolate and raosted nuts. Full, rich and viscous, yet dry with a slightly tart finish. This wine is just now opening up, and has a lot of life left.

2006 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 14.8% alc., 3.51 pH, 195 cases produced. Cherry, blueberry and blackberry fruit aromas, with brown sugar and cinnamon notes. A rich entry, supple texture, full, dry, with a bit of firming tannin on the finish. Quite enjoyable now, even without food, but has at least 3-5 more years of aging potential.

2007 Zinfandel, Estate Vineyard: 14.9% alc., 3.57 pH, 169 cases produced. Briar, black currant and blueberry aromas. A very concentrated, viscous, slightly tart fore palate with a chewy texture and dusty tannins. This one is still a baby, and has a lot of potential to develop more with extended aging. Best now with food, and a good candidate for your vinturi and/or decanter.

kennyg1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kennyg1

This was an easy one, and if the day goes well, I may have to triple down. Reading the reviews I have access to on my iPhone app, which primarily cover the Meeks vineyard, it sounds like SB's description of the differences between the Meeks and the Estate are right on. Meeks is nice everyday Zin, but the Estate is clearly from better stock which allowed SB to take squeeze all of the potential out of the grapes, which we all trust him to do! Uh Oh, I may not wait for the day to go well....

CigarDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CigarDan

In for 2. I never pass up a Wellington offer.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

PW,

I know you said all bets are off after 10 years. However, I have a son who was born in '05, and I am still looking for that bottle (or 3) to lay down to crack open on his 21st. Chances of this surviving/reviving after 20 years?

Thanks!

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

What a coincidence! The other night, we were drinking Cab Sauvs (Chappellet, '07 Mt. Cuvee and 2002 Signature, a 2003 Shirvington and an '04 Brookdale) and lurking around the Wine Cellar, when we came across a vertical of Wellington Zins ('04, '05, '06, '07) that I had not consumed. I don't know which ones, or when I bought them (naturally a Woot), but the concensus was that we should do a Wellington Zin night ... soon. I think I'll have to buy this vertical as a replacement. Thanks for your timeliness.

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Would be in for two, but the rack is FULL, so in for one.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

I can't stand jammy Zins, but I love Peter's!

Question for you Peter, if I was to do a vertical tasting of all three, what would be the best time (year) to do the tasting to get them all as close to their peak as possible?

Thanks!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

ssoard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssoard

Well this definitely broke the SIWBM. I was doing so good! But for Wellington Zin, I just couldn't resist. For folks just thinking about this offer - trust the woot experts here. There is definitely a reason this Wellington guy is a favorite!

Thanks Peter for some great wines! You've been the lead producer in my meager cellar since shortly after I first tasted your wines. I haven't regretted a single purchase.

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

I opened the Meeks Hilltop a few weeks back (IIRC this is the wine with the shortest drinking window) and was very pleased. I am very much looking forward to trying out the 'estate' label. In for two, after all..., it's my b-day!
Thank you P-dub!
rk