$29.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Spicy
PRODUCT: 1 Alexander 30 Tube Spice Rack - With Spices

Previous offer:
12/18/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chowdmury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chowdmury

DUUUUUNE!

winespy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winespy

Today's offer seems to be the best price by $10! Go WOOT!

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

the wife bought something like this for me a few years ago. the rack she got me had less spices than 30. A lot of those spices are worth more than a $1 each....which is why i would avoid this.

the spices that i got in my rack were rather weak and pointless

jbrava

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jbrava

Bought it last year - great, fresh spices. Husband loves to cook and feel like he's a mad scientist with the test tube looking spices.

crowagner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowagner

What happened to the salt/ pepper grinders? I was about to order one? Sell-out or do they change products up for gift week?

Woot, can i still get my grind on?

ericclem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ericclem

I've got my fingers crossed for a decanter and/or some glasses (I broke all mine because I made the mistake of using them while drinking).

How long does this Woot Gifting go on usually?

krissyMS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages krissyMS

In for one, i just had to get it. Love the cheaper price!!! that and I am a scientist and already use glass beakers for my oils on the counter. Merry Christmas to me!

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
ericclem wrote:I've got my fingers crossed for a decanter and/or some glasses (I broke all mine because I made the mistake of using them while drinking).

How long does this Woot Gifting go on usually?

Sorry to say, but I think you might be SOL on the decanter. WD hinted during the woot-off that the decanter deal on Dec. 1st was the last of the decanters.

aschaps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aschaps

Anyone know of the quality of the spices? If they're too old they lose their flavor.

kteafish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kteafish

bought this last year... still have most of the spices, and they're still plenty spicy! the little tubes are quite air-tight.

aschaps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aschaps
kteafish wrote:bought this last year... still have most of the spices, and they're still plenty spicy! the little tubes are quite air-tight.

Thanks for the info. In for one as a gift.

SolidAsSnake

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SolidAsSnake

After using these spices, I'd add some different powders in it to recreate the ending of the 1960s Batman film. Just add water! Soft water!

Mithoron

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mithoron

Love this as a gift! In for 3!

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost
SolidAsSnake wrote:After using these spices, I'd add some different powders in it to recreate the ending of the 1960s Batman film. Just add water! Soft water!

"I'd add some different powders in it to recreate"

I was wondering where you were going when I got this far...

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

How much space do they take up on a counter? And how long can you store them?

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan
crowagner wrote:What happened to the salt/ pepper grinders? I was about to order one? Sell-out or do they change products up for gift week?

Woot, can i still get my grind on?

The woots are changing every 12 hours (noon and midnight CST) during gift week.

NightGhost

tiger7610 wrote:How much space do they take up on a counter? And how long can you store them?

Dimensions: 10.75” W X 3.78” D X 9.61” H

Shelf life depends on the spice.

What is the shelf life of spices?

kteafish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kteafish
tiger7610 wrote:How much space do they take up on a counter? And how long can you store them?

the rack is a little less than a foot across and about 3-4 inches deep. don't know how long but like I said before I've had mine for a year and they're still good!

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach

Something to keep in mind when buying spices...

Ground spices tend to go bad after 6 months.
Whole spices go bad after a year.

What I mean by "go bad" is they start to lose flavor. So, keep in mind that you'll want to use most of these spices within the next six months to get their full effect. Especially the curry powder, which diminishes pretty quickly with age.

[Edit]
Looked at Nightghost's link, and thought some further elaboration/explanation would be needed, since his link and my post essentially say two completely different things.

Well, OK, fine. But there's still a reason for the six-month rule. Sort of:

When I started asking Nick Ciotti, V.P. of operations for the excellent Vann's Spices about whether spices lose their flavor like Newton's law of cooling, he thankfully interrupted with, "The short answer is yes," saving me from completely displaying my ignorance of basic science.

"Once the spices are ground, right away there's a sharp drop in their flavor. Spices are filled with volatile oils, which are what give them their flavor and complexity. When you grind them, you release those oils, and they begin to dissipate. In two weeks to a month after grinding, you have the sharpest drop in flavor, a rapid loss of those oils. But then it plateaus, losing its flavor at a more gradual rate. For the next few months, they're pretty much the same, but by six months, you've really lost their complexity. It's not just about potency and strength -- for that, you can just add more of the faded spice. But you can't ever get back the complexity. Black pepper from a year ago might still smell like pepper, but it won't smell like orange and clove, the interesting aromas that a really fresh pepper has. After six months, it's still totally usable, but it's just a matter of what you want out of it.

From How long do spices last

thumperchick

quality posts: 247 Private Messages thumperchick

Great... Now I want this set and a set of beaker measuring cups. Mostly because me being in the kitchen is usually an experiment.

**Edit - I hadn't yet read the thread... I thought I was having an original thought...**

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle

Well, I see from the description it's artful, stainless steel, takes up an area of 390 cu inches and I see they even appeared to have ground up Winton Marsalis and somebody named Rosemary for some ghoulish reason. But my frugal wife wants to know how many ounces in each test tube...does anybody have any ideas on how many ounces?

havechanged

quality posts: 1 Private Messages havechanged

Are the tubes labeled? I'm sure they are, right?

Bec

wcliff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wcliff
havechanged wrote:Are the tubes labeled? I'm sure they are, right?

The caps are labeled.

karadi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages karadi

What is the size of the tubes ? While you are at it, can also let me the radius and volume of spices of each of the tube.

NightGhost

sssprinkle wrote:Well, I see from the description it's artful, stainless steel, takes up an area of 390 cu inches and I see they even appeared to have ground up Winton Marsalis and somebody named Rosemary for some ghoulish reason. But my frugal wife wants to know how many ounces in each test tube...does anybody have any ideas on how many ounces?

What about what they did to that Herb guy?

If you mean ounces by weight, it would vary depending on the spice. Otherwise, the best you can do is guesstimate the volume of the tubes based on the dimensions (unless we hear from an owner or vendor).

jaelitabonita

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaelitabonita

I think you would really want to store these in the dark as they are long, clear containers making quite a bit of surface area exposed and increasing the rate of degradation of flavor if they were in the light.

ms4242

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ms4242

Will Wine Woot ever sell wine again? There are plenty of places to buy things but not nearly enough that bring us really interesting wine deals. Quit offering things and take us back to wine. I'm starting to sober up.

NightGhost

ms4242 wrote:Will Wine Woot ever sell wine again? There are plenty of places to buy things but not nearly enough that bring us really interesting wine deals. Quit offering things and take us back to wine. I'm starting to sober up.

Woot has inserted a couple of Woot Cellars offerings among the other Gift "Week" items.

flowerchild59

quality posts: 23 Private Messages flowerchild59

the containers themselves are probably worth the price listed, but I would dump out the spices and refill with quality spices from somewhere like penzey's........the best and freshest spices on the planet IMHO.
http://www.penzeys.com/

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

aderyn

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aderyn
flowerchild59 wrote:the containers themselves are probably worth the price listed, but I would dump out the spices and refill with quality spices from somewhere like penzey's........the best and freshest spices on the planet IMHO.
http://www.penzeys.com/

When I read the comment earlier about black pepper quality, I immediately thought of Penzey's. The first time I bought pepper from them, it was like I got a whole different item from what I was used to. So fragrant, so delicious, it became one of my very favorite spices, instead of the ho-hum condiment it had formerly been.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
ms4242 wrote:Will Wine Woot ever sell wine again? There are plenty of places to buy things but not nearly enough that bring us really interesting wine deals. Quit offering things and take us back to wine. I'm starting to sober up.

Wine? Over here: http://wine.woot.com/Special.aspx?k=twas

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Had mine for about a year, and I've been pleased. Most everything that I use regularly is gone now, and I've refilled as time has gone on.

I had mine attached to the wall in the kitchen (poorly) and it fell one day, but thankfully none of the "test tubes" broke, just in case anyone is worried about durability. I've had them roll of the counter with embarrassing frequency, and so far I haven't lost one yet to breakage.

The spices they use are higher quality than grocery store stuff, but not as nice as boutique stuff.

In general, I've been very happy with it.

CT

jjhu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjhu

Maybe I'm a tube snob, but definitely would have pulled the trigger on glass tubes. Not a big fan of acrylic.

marn161

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marn161
alukan wrote:The woots are changing every 12 hours (noon and midnight CST) during gift week.

That sucks! I was about to order one as well!

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

I can't believe nobody has gone here yet, but....

Nice Rack!

Yes I am a 36 year old child.....

joycefnp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joycefnp

Do you think they will be hard to refill?

I wonder if rack can be hung?

jenandlaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenandlaw
jjhu wrote:Maybe I'm a tube snob, but definitely would have pulled the trigger on glass tubes. Not a big fan of acrylic.

If you are, so am I. I was all ecstatic over this until I got to your post and went back to look. None for me if not glass.

I hate my avatar choices.

ninaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ninaco

I bought this last year, and my sister's been coveting it ever since.

I think the answer to this question will be no. But, here goes. :-) I would like to buy two of these but have them sent to two different addresses (paying shipping twice, of course).

Anyone know if that's possible?