bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Hey Buffalo wooters! CAGirl is coming to Buffalo to take the Bar exam. She will be finished on Tues. Feb. 23rd. ddeudddeg and I have invited her to come over for dinner and some vino. Post if you would like to join us.

Details:
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Time: 6 ish
Theme: CAGirl Comes to Buffalo
Hosts: bahwm and ddeuddeg

Attending:

1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. CAGirl
4. justinrsanderson
5. justinrsanderson's +1
6. tiger7610
7.
8.
9.

Maybe:

*
*
*

Regrets:

* everyone who cannot make it!

Wines: TBD

*

Food:

Appetizers:
*woot cheeses
*Buffalo Chicken Wings
*Baked Brie with red pepper icewine jelly

Dinner:

Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon, and Port
Roasted Winter Vegetables
Garlic Green Beans
Mashed potatoes
Baby Spinach Salad with pine nuts, grated romano cheese and a home-made roasted garlic vinaigrette.

Dessert:

cheesecake by ddeuddeg

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Hey Buffalo wooters! CAGirl is coming to Buffalo to take the Bar exam. She will be finished on Tues. Feb. 23rd. ddeudddeg and I have invited her to come over for dinner and some vino. Post if you would like to join us. Tentative time TBD - probably after 6.


Oooh, I feel like the guest of honor. It'd be nice to meet some east coast wooters.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
CAGrl wrote:Oooh, I feel like the guest of honor. It'd be nice to meet some east coast wooters.


Well, you are the guest of honor! It may be a very small group--esp. on a weeknight, but that's ok. Any excuse to have a get together and taste some good wine!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Well, you are the guest of honor! It may be a very small group--esp. on a weeknight, but that's ok. Any excuse to have a get together and taste some good wine!


Glad I can give people an excuse to get together and taste some good vino. I'll have to pick something up from D&D for the trip.

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I should be in, depending on the weather of course, but very likely. What is the plan?

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:I should be in, depending on the weather of course, but very likely. What is the plan?



Plans are still in the preliminary stages, but we're figuring on someone picking her up at the hotel in downtown Buffalo, bringing her to South Buffalo, and eating and drinking. I'm working on the menu, but we have some nice woot cheeses and some nice bubbly to start off. SWMBO is insisting on the Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon, and Port that we had at Christmas, so that's the main course. Probably a salad. I'll come up with some kind of suitable dessert. At least one Scott Harvey wine. Should be a really nice dinner.
When I get things more settled, I'll post the full menu, and maybe we can scare up some additional interest.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

We're in. The main course sounds great!

I'll be working downtown until 5-5:30, so I'd be happy to pick up CAGrl.

Hmmm...just need to decide what bottle to bring...

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
justinrsanderson wrote:We're in. The main course sounds great!

I'll be working downtown until 5-5:30, so I'd be happy to pick up CAGrl.

Hmmm...just need to decide what bottle to bring...


Does the "we" include your lovely fiancee? That would be great if you could pick up CAGirl. As the time draws nearer, we may need to adjust times a bit--she may need some down time after the grueling exam!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Does the "we" include your lovely fiancee? That would be great if you could pick up CAGirl. As the time draws nearer, we may need to adjust times a bit--she may need some down time after the grueling exam!


I thought my downtime would be meeting you all and drinking with you all. I believe the exam ends around 5:30. The only time I'm going to need is to go back to my hotel room and upload my exam. I don't know how long that's going to take since I'm not real familiar with the area and I have no car.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
justinrsanderson wrote:We're in. The main course sounds great!

I'll be working downtown until 5-5:30, so I'd be happy to pick up CAGrl.

Hmmm...just need to decide what bottle to bring...


Thanks for offering to pick me up. Well, I was wrong. The exam's scheduled to end around 4:45. So I should easily be back in my room around 5:30. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware Avenue. Hope that's not too far away.

The main course does sound wonderful. And I'm in the same predicament. Gotta figure out an awesome bottle or 2 to bring.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
CAGrl wrote:Thanks for offering to pick me up. Well, I was wrong. The exam's scheduled to end around 4:45. So I should easily be back in my room around 5:30. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Delaware Avenue. Hope that's not too far away.

The main course does sound wonderful. And I'm in the same predicament. Gotta figure out an awesome bottle or 2 to bring.


Where exactly are you taking the exam? Our downtown is not very large. Justin's office is virtually down the street from your hotel. It is within easy walking distance. We are about 15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic--not like in CA!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

Hampton Inn on Delaware is less than 5 blocks from my office.

We does include my fiance. Not entirely sure if she is going to be able to make it. She is now acting as event coordinator, food/bev manager, hostess, waitress, front desk staff, bell boy, and valet. All at the same time.

Did you happen to catch the article regarding the location of our recent event: Barton Hill

Will come with your Arroyo in hand. I picked up two of their less expensive bottles too. I might bring one of them. One is Sangiovese and the other a "light cabernet blend".

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Where exactly are you taking the exam? Our downtown is not very large. Justin's office is virtually down the street from your hotel. It is within easy walking distance. We are about 15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic--not like in CA!


Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. I don't know how long it would take me to walk to my hotel and upload the exam. Once that's done, I am so done with the exam!!! I figured I'd be all done by 5:30.

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

It should only take 10 minutes or so to walk from the convention center to your hotel (weather permitting). It's a bit north, and a block west of the convention center.

Related: How many people will there be taking the bar at this location? With experience taking the CFA exam in Buffalo, we only had 200 people or so (a big advantage to the other cities with 5,000+). The convention center is pretty huge, but there are smaller rooms attached.

Unrelated: Just got my first Rat notification. Wonder which bottle(s) I will get!

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
justinrsanderson wrote:
Related: How many people will there be taking the bar at this location? With experience taking the CFA exam in Buffalo, we only had 200 people or so (a big advantage to the other cities with 5,000+). The convention center is pretty huge, but there are smaller rooms attached.


I'm not sure how many people will be at the location. That's a good question. Hope it's not too huge.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
justinrsanderson wrote:
Unrelated: Just got my first Rat notification. Wonder which bottle(s) I will get!


Oh, yay! Congrats! Get that baby chillin' and enjoy!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Oooohh, thought just popped into my head: authentic Buffalo chicken wings for appetizers! We'll get them from a place out here in S. Buffalo. That way, we won't have to reheat them.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
bahwm wrote:Oooohh, thought just popped into my head: authentic Buffalo chicken wings for appetizers! We'll get them from a place out here in S. Buffalo. That way, we won't have to reheat them.



Nothing better than a nice Riesling with them (that I've tried). One with a little acid that cuts through the butter. Unfortunately I am fresh out.... (Katy has a healthy Riesling habit).

Had a sparkling Riesling in WDW. Was not anything special. I thought it was down right unpleasant.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
justinrsanderson wrote:Nothing better than a nice Riesling with them (that I've tried). One with a little acid that cuts through the butter. Unfortunately I am fresh out.... (Katy has a healthy Riesling habit).

Had a sparkling Riesling in WDW. Was not anything special. I thought it was down right unpleasant.


I can bring a riesling. Dry or off-dry? I will be doing the Saturday winery tour with the Wooters on Saturday (of course instead of studying or packing) so I can pick something up from Napa. Any preferences? Not quite sure which wineries we're hitting. I probably won't go to all of them though.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
justinrsanderson wrote:Nothing better than a nice Riesling with them (that I've tried). One with a little acid that cuts through the butter. Unfortunately I am fresh out.... (Katy has a healthy Riesling habit).

Had a sparkling Riesling in WDW. Was not anything special. I thought it was down right unpleasant.


What's WDW?

Edit: Never mind. ddeuddeg got it--Walt Disney World! Long day at school!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
CAGrl wrote:I can bring a riesling. Dry or off-dry? I will be doing the Saturday winery tour with the Wooters on Saturday (of course instead of studying or packing) so I can pick something up from Napa. Any preferences? Not quite sure which wineries we're hitting. I probably won't go to all of them though.



Actually, I'd usually have a nice cold beer with wings, but I'm sure I can come up with a suitable accompaniment from amongst the sparklers in the cellar. Justin's right about the need for acid, but that's not a problem with most brut bubblies. You don't need to worry about hauling wine across the country with a bar exam to think about. We're well-stocked here, and looking for ways to make some space in the cellar.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

And really no need to bring Reisling. Finger Lakes Reislings should be readily available, and they are good.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:And really no need to bring Reisling. Finger Lakes Reislings should be readily available, and they are good.


Not just good, better than most. Of course, our friend Scott Harvey makes some really wonderful Rieslings from Napa Valley and from the Leenanau Peninsula in Michigan. In any event, there's plenty of it on hand, but I still think a dry bubbly works better. We've got a couple of weeks. Perhaps an experiment is in order.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Okay so riesling's out, but I'm still hauling something across the country. I will find something at D&D or at Napa.

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

Since you insist on bringing something...if you find something that is winery specific out in Napa that you like, I'm sure that will go over well. Always nice trying something that is not readily available to most of us (especially eastcoasters).

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
justinrsanderson wrote:Since you insist on bringing something...if you find something that is winery specific out in Napa that you like, I'm sure that will go over well. Always nice trying something that is not readily available to most of us (especially eastcoasters).


I just hate showing up empty handed especially when you guys are being so nice. So I will find something awesome, hopefully.

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Just wondering: Does anyone have a request for a specific type of cheesecake? CAGirl? He makes an awesome chocolate one.

Also, just updated first post with menu info.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:Just wondering: Does anyone have a request for a specific type of cheesecake? CAGirl? He makes an awesome chocolate one.

Also, just updated first post with menu info.


I love cheesecake. All cheesecake.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
CAGrl wrote:I love cheesecake. All cheesecake.


Cool. I love cheesecake fans. They give me an excuse to bake cheesecakes. I'll come up with something good.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tiger7610


quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Having had one of those cheesecakes I can attest that they are awesome.

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'm really excited to try the cheesecake now. I love cheesecake!!!

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
CAGrl wrote:I'm really excited to try the cheesecake now. I love cheesecake!!!


I guess you really love cheesecake!


May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:I guess you really love cheesecake!


Yes I do. Especially homemade ones. I feel so special. You guys really don't have to do so much. I thought I was just going to be eating out by myself to entire time I was there. This is just so nice of you all.

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

What course should I bring wine for?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
justinrsanderson wrote:What course should I bring wine for?


ddeuddeg wrote:We're well-stocked here, and looking for ways to make some space in the cellar.


Seriously, we're just looking forward to having CAGirl and our local wooter friends over for dinner. Having you pick her up at the hotel is actually a huge help. I haven't totally decided what I want to have to accompany dinner yet, but we'll take care of it. Just bring an appetite (and CAGirl and your lovely fiancée, if possible), and help us create some cellar space. We're looking forward to seeing you again.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
CAGrl wrote:Yes I do. Especially homemade ones. I feel so special. You guys really don't have to do so much. I thought I was just going to be eating out by myself to entire time I was there. This is just so nice of you all.



*jealous* when people ask why you're going to NY you should totally tell them it's to try ddog's cheesecake

CT

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Cross-posted from the pub:
I have a magnum of Robert Craig Mt. Veeder Cab from 2000 that I picked up from winebid a few weeks ago. I was thinking it might go nicely with the beef tenderloin I'm planning dinner on the 23rd, but it might be too soon. I emailed the winery for their opinion on the drinking window, but haven't heard from them yet. Any thoughts out there?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm


quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
tenuki wrote:*jealous* when people ask why you're going to NY you should totally tell them it's to try ddog's cheesecake


Come on out and join us! Don't worry about the snow--we have less than the No/Va people! In fact, they have more now than we had all season!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bahwm wrote:Come on out and join us! Don't worry about the snow--we have less than the No/Va people! In fact, they have more now than we had all season!



Don't tempt me Would love to but Buffalo on a Tuesday is a bit ridiculous, even for someone as impulsive as me. Maybe CAGirl can wootleg some cheesecake back :P I'll catch y'all in Vegas though, not sure when I'll be east coast again. Don't think I'll make cat's woot wine gathering either ...

CT

justinrsanderson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
ddeuddeg wrote:Cross-posted from the pub:
I have a magnum of Robert Craig Mt. Veeder Cab from 2000 that I picked up from winebid a few weeks ago. I was thinking it might go nicely with the beef tenderloin I'm planning dinner on the 23rd, but it might be too soon. I emailed the winery for their opinion on the drinking window, but haven't heard from them yet. Any thoughts out there?



Hmmm...cellartracker's window is coming to an end (2005-2012). It has some mixed reviews, but they seem to be getting better.

Let us know what you decide? If Katy is coming, I will have to bring a Riesling along. She just likes a sip of red to try it, then drinks Riesling. Her favorite red is PS, which is interesting since it's such a big wine.

Battery's dying. Be back later...

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."