jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
eric9tx wrote:Well it now seems that I'm making caramel fondue for tonight's dinner. Rather than use actual "ingredients", would it be terrible to buy the little caramel chewy candies and melt them in a double boiler?

Heh heh ... speaking of caramel ... funny story.

While watching football games this weekend, I was doing laundry and ironing shirts for the week. All of a sudden, in the middle of ironing one shirt, these brown smears appeared (they were small, not like a burn mark). I lifted the iron, saw nothing on it ... nothing else on the shirt ... so I tried again: more smears. This time when I lifted the iron I could see some brown goo bubbling out of one of the holes in the bottom.

I bought this iron just a few weeks ago, so I know it's not some old residue left inside. Besides, I had just refilled it with water for the second time that afternoon, so it couldn't be old gunk or it would have come out earlier. Figuring that maybe it had been on too long, I turned it off to let it cool.

After it had cooled completely, I turned it on again, and let it warm up. Once it beeped, indicating it had reached the set temperature, I walked over, with a test-towel, only to find that brown goo was now bubbling out of most of the holes on the iron. If I set it horizontal brown drops splattered all over the ironing board. WTF?

It was at this time that I noticed a "CLEAN" button on the back of the iron, so I decided to try that. This seemed to allow the hot water inside the iron to flow freely out of the hot iron, and now I had brown water everywhere. Fortunately most of it was on the now-soaked towel, but this was really getting annoying.

At this point, I start to retrace my steps to figure out what the hell could be going on. I remembered that the last time I filled the iron I used one of the cups of water that my daughter had set next to the sink while cleaning her room. Upon asking her what was in the cups she brought down from her room, she replied, "Some had water, and one had Sprite."

Of course. I had checked to be sure the water was clear and free of any "sutff", but the thought that it might be flat soda never occurred to me.

It took me four more clean refills of water through the iron before it quit spitting out caramelized sugar water. And then I had to run the ironing board cover through the wash to clean it of the sugar water that had come out of the iron.

... and the family room smelled like cotton candy for the rest of the evening.

CT | | | | | |

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
tenuki wrote:What pairs with insect sushi?

that's not real sushi. It's cooked!!! it's just bugs on rice.

jwhite6114

edlada wrote:Thanks for the memories brother J. A few years ago I was sitting on the seawall at Taechon beach in Korea, where the seawall becomes a giant outdoor restaurant. Vendors set up tables with a grill in the middle, plastic chairs and a number of large plastic buckets full of mostly live seafood, shellfish, etc. We just pointed at what we wanted, had a seat and they bring the critters, light the grill, throw the stuff on and you eat when it is cooked. There was a little problem when I lifted the pan lid placed over the live shrimp thaat were being barbecued to death when one of the liittle crustaceans managed to hop off the grill and flop around on the pavement. I captured him and returned him the fire in any event. The couple at the table in front of ours was feasting on an octopus dish very much like the one in the video. It was about this point it dawned on me why Koreans invented soju which they drink in copious quantities. I can't imagine anything better to wash down fresh, wiggling octopus than a good hit of soju. I drank plenty of soju while I was in Korea but never ate the live octopus. I certainly ate many other strange things there, but none of them were moving at the time I ingested them. I will eat almost anything but geeze, you have to have some kind of standards right?

BTW HAK, those aren't exactly jalapeno peppers, they are a green variety of the ubiquitous Korean hot (hotter than hell actually) red peppers that Koreans dry, powder and make a paste that they use on or in almost anything they eat.

Yeah ... I find standards to be overrated.

I actually regret not trying the pickled herring that were sold at the food stands on the beaches in The Netherlands. Of course, I was 12 at the time, and was still believed in those standards you mentioned.

CT | | | | | |

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
HitAnyKey42 wrote:If it weren't for the obvious fact that I can see those are jalepeno peppers, I would actually try that.

Agreed, I was thinking, octopus, yum! Not such a fan of peppers though. Have to admit, might be weird if you felt it moving inside you.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
edlada wrote:BTW HAK, those aren't exactly jalapeno peppers, they are a green variety of the ubiquitous Korean hot (hotter than hell actually) red peppers that Koreans dry, powder and make a paste that they use on or in almost anything they eat.

Uhhh, that's even worse.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
Jopo528 wrote:There's nothing wrong with that, lol...cuz remember the last time I tried to make something with homemade caramel, I set the oven on fire, lol

There is a part of me that is curious about how you set the oven on fire while making caramel, because I personally would never use the oven to make caramel.

At the same time, I think on the fact there are a few more recipes you have described that I would not do in quite the same way, either. So I must take the source into account.

Do Cat and I need to come out and hold cooking school for you? I ask purely with love in my heart and a distinct aversion to calling the fire department.

cjsiege

eric9tx wrote:Well it now seems that I'm making caramel fondue for tonight's dinner. Rather than use actual "ingredients", would it be terrible to buy the little caramel chewy candies and melt them in a double boiler?

Yes, pick up the Kraft caramels ... and also bring a pint of heavy cream. Put both into the double boiler and heat to get a dippable texture. Otherwise there will be regrets, and possibly no salvation for the top half of the double boiler.

EDIT: I think you use about a cup of cream to 1/2 bag of caramels.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Did anyone pick up multiple bottles of the Chateau St. Jean release on WTSO? I'd be happy to take a bottle off your hands.

PM if interested.

signed.

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528
cjsiege wrote:There is a part of me that is curious about how you set the oven on fire while making caramel, because I personally would never use the oven to make caramel.

At the same time, I think on the fact there are a few more recipes you have described that I would not do in quite the same way, either. So I must take the source into account.

Do Cat and I need to come out and hold cooking school for you? I ask purely with love in my heart and a distinct aversion to calling the fire department.

lol...I really am a good cook (but always am up for pointers if yall wanna come here! lol ). I wasn't making caramel in the oven, I was making a flan, and it boiled over in the oven and the caramel built up on the foil at the bottom and touched the coil and ignited. Flan turned out good tho, lol. And last week, my oil & water boiled over and set the stove on fire, lol (I forgot to put the little skewer over the pot to keep it from boiling over) (and yes, Eric, it actually works, and there were people here to witness it! lol)

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
jwhite6114 wrote:Heh heh ... speaking of caramel ... funny story.

While watching football games this weekend, I was doing laundry and ironing shirts for the week. All of a sudden, in the middle of ironing one shirt, these brown smears appeared (they were small, not like a burn mark). I lifted the iron, saw nothing on it ... nothing else on the shirt ... so I tried again: more smears. This time when I lifted the iron I could see some brown goo bubbling out of one of the holes in the bottom.

I bought this iron just a few weeks ago, so I know it's not some old residue left inside. Besides, I had just refilled it with water for the second time that afternoon, so it couldn't be old gunk or it would have come out earlier. Figuring that maybe it had been on too long, I turned it off to let it cool.

After it had cooled completely, I turned it on again, and let it warm up. Once it beeped, indicating it had reached the set temperature, I walked over, with a test-towel, only to find that brown goo was now bubbling out of most of the holes on the iron. If I set it horizontal brown drops splattered all over the ironing board. WTF?

It was at this time that I noticed a "CLEAN" button on the back of the iron, so I decided to try that. This seemed to allow the hot water inside the iron to flow freely out of the hot iron, and now I had brown water everywhere. Fortunately most of it was on the now-soaked towel, but this was really getting annoying.

At this point, I start to retrace my steps to figure out what the hell could be going on. I remembered that the last time I filled the iron I used one of the cups of water that my daughter had set next to the sink while cleaning her room. Upon asking her what was in the cups she brought down from her room, she replied, "Some had water, and one had Sprite."

Of course. I had checked to be sure the water was clear and free of any "sutff", but the thought that it might be flat soda never occurred to me.

It took me four more clean refills of water through the iron before it quit spitting out caramelized sugar water. And then I had to run the ironing board cover through the wash to clean it of the sugar water that had come out of the iron.

... and the family room smelled like cotton candy for the rest of the evening.

Never iron pants and shirts from terrific Wisconsin!

I rarely ever use the iron now.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
Jopo528 wrote:lol...I really am a good cook (but always am up for pointers if yall wanna come here! lol ). I wasn't making caramel in the oven, I was making a flan, and it boiled over in the oven and the caramel built up on the foil at the bottom and touched the coil and ignited. Flan turned out good tho, lol. And last week, my oil & water boiled over and set the stove on fire, lol (I forgot to put the little skewer over the pot to keep it from boiling over) (and yes, Eric, it actually works, and there were people here to witness it! lol)

Whew! OK, things are making sense. But you have to admit that an oven fire and a burner fire within a 3 (?) month window is not exactly a stellar safety record.

Well, this just means we can shift from cooking school to cooking party instead.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

Jopo528

CpprCr8 wrote:Whew! OK, things are making sense. But you have to admit that an oven fire and a burner fire within a 3 (?) month window is not exactly a stellar safety record.

Well, this just means we can shift from cooking school to cooking party instead.

lol...3 month window? umm....well....how bout 2 week window, lol....and yes, cooking party would be tons more fun!

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

CpprCr8

Jopo528 wrote:lol...3 month window? umm....well....how bout 2 week window, lol....and yes, cooking party would be tons more fun!

*smack forehead*

Eric - I highly recommend giving Jopo a fire extinguisher. Sooner, rather than later.

Jopo528

CpprCr8 wrote:*smack forehead*

Eric - I highly recommend giving Jopo a fire extinguisher. Sooner, rather than later.

welllll....we have one....but i'm not sure where it is...or really how to use it...too high tech, lol

CpprCr8

Jopo528 wrote:welllll....we have one....but i'm not sure where it is...or really how to use it...too high tech, lol

In other words, you don't really have one. tsk, tsk!

CpprCr8

Google calendar is updated to include Dallas and NYC (11/7). Working the text update now.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
Jopo528 wrote:welllll....we have one....but i'm not sure where it is...or really how to use it...too high tech, lol

Isn't that what bad wine's for? :P

CT

CpprCr8

~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of September 28.
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

October
10/3: Buffalo/WNY #2: Zins!
10/3: SoCal #12: Otolith Visits San Diego
10/16-19: SoCal #13: Vegas Satellite Edition: Making our first CyberPub Cellars Wine!

*** Only 36 bottles left!!!! We are still looking for sponsors for CyberPub Cellars Wine #1, a Zin/Barbera/Cab blend. Shares are $10 each, with a minimum of 3 shares. Sponsorship link in the first post. And if you are coming in October, head to the last 2 pages to see the most current planned activities. ***

10/24: NoVA/DC #15: TBD Theme

November
11/7: NorCal #3: Napa Weekend
11/7: Dallas #5: Pizza Night
11/7: NYC#13: TBD, but way overdue!
TBD:Chicago #12: Port-on-Port - The Orthogonal Port Taste Test.

February
2/26-28: Arizona #1: Spring Training!

July
7/31: Connecticut Clambake #2: An Annual Tradition

Looking for some helping hands:

~~~We now return you to your regularly scheduled Cyber Pub.~~~

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
CpprCr8 wrote:~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of September 28.

October
10/16-19: SoCal #13: Vegas Satellite Edition: Making our first CyberPub Cellars Wine!

*** Only 36 bottles left!!!! We are still looking for sponsors for CyberPub Cellars Wine #1, a Zin/Barbera/Cab blend. Shares are $10 each, with a minimum of 3 shares. Sponsorship link in the first post. And if you are coming in October, head to the last 2 pages to see the most current planned activities. ***

November
TBD:Chicago #12: Port-on-Port - The Orthogonal Port Taste Test.

February

July

Looking for some helping hands:~~~We now return you to your regularly scheduled Cyber Pub.~~~

You left off that July also has the Magical History Tour #2 & maybe 2.5 ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
otolith wrote:Send it to me, I'll scan it, and send it back. The image, that is. Highly unlikely I'd return the postcard.

I think I'll find a scanner

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

with port, definitely with port, but i would think it would work

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98

Jopo528 wrote:I set the oven on fire

You do that a lot, don't you.

CpprCr8

MarkDaSpark wrote:You left off that July also has the Magical History Tour #2 & maybe 2.5 ....

I haven't been following that thread. How firm is it looking? Is it truly firm enough to add to the list?

cheron98

cjsiege wrote:Do Cat and I need to come out and hold cooking school for you? I ask purely with love in my heart and a distinct aversion to calling the fire department.

I was under the impression he was already taking cooking classes...

Not that I would mind heading down there again. I rather miss my boys

CpprCr8

cheron98 wrote:I was under the impression he was already taking cooking classes...

Not that I would mind heading down there again. I rather miss my boys

Keep reading....

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:with port, definitely with port, but i would think it would work

what kind? USB or 1394?

cheron98

CpprCr8 wrote:I haven't been following that thread. How firm is it looking? Is it truly firm enough to add to the list?

Heck yeah. The first 24 slots are filled with a lengthy waiting list already. The exact dates aren't in stone, but it's going to be either July 19-21, 20-22, or 21-23.

cheron98

CpprCr8 wrote:Keep reading....

So when are we heading down there?

CpprCr8

cheron98 wrote:So when are we heading down there?

My next availability will probably be... hmmm... hmmm... well scaffolding. I've pre-booked and tapped out my cat sitters until almost April! Unless everyone is free btwn Christmas & New Year's.

cheron98

CpprCr8 wrote:My next availability will probably be... hmmm... hmmm... well scaffolding. I've pre-booked and tapped out my cat sitters until almost April! Unless everyone is free btwn Christmas & New Year's.

I'm not. No vaca time left, really. I have like 2.5 days available to me, and I think I'm going to be forced to take them the days leading up to Christmas. So I can only do weekend type things, if at all... not sure I can swing a flight before spring.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
cheron98 wrote:Heck yeah. The first 24 slots are filled with a lengthy waiting list already. The exact dates aren't in stone, but it's going to be either July 19-21, 20-22, or 21-23.

Vegas gets full?

CpprCr8

edthebedhead wrote:Vegas gets full?

Nope. Next edition of RPM Tour.

CpprCr8

Calendars are updated to reflect Chicago #12 on 10/16 and RPM Tour on 7/20-22.

CpprCr8

Freshly updated from 2 hours ago.

~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of September 20.

October
10/16: Chicago #12: Port-on-Port - The Orthogonal Port Taste Test.

November

February

July
7/20-22: RPM’s Historical Wine Tour

Looking for some helping hands:

~~~We now return you to your regularly scheduled Cyber-Pub.~~~

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Hmm, I think this is like the first time I've ever seen the pub go from 11pm EST to 9am EST without a single post in between.
Did everyone get drunk and pass out or something?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Jopo528 wrote:lol...I really am a good cook (but always am up for pointers if yall wanna come here! lol ). I wasn't making caramel in the oven, I was making a flan, and it boiled over in the oven and the caramel built up on the foil at the bottom and touched the coil and ignited. Flan turned out good tho, lol. And last week, my oil & water boiled over and set the stove on fire, lol (I forgot to put the little skewer over the pot to keep it from boiling over) (and yes, Eric, it actually works, and there were people here to witness it! lol)

Jopo, at 10 CT on Amazon they're advertising
A perfect flan every time. No more kitchen fires for you!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jwhite6114

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Hmm, I think this is like the first time I've ever seen the pub go from 11pm EST to 9am EST without a single post in between.
Did everyone get drunk and pass out or something?

We were having a silence contest. You lost.

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

on Rue La La Oct. 5 @ 11:00

*looks around for post by Kittah...nada, muhahaha*

CT

cjsiege

bhodilee wrote:Jopo, at 10 CT on Amazon they're advertising
A perfect flan every time. No more kitchen fires for you!

Are you on a mailing list or something? How did you know the flan pan would be up?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
otolith wrote:I love the Gott zin bottle! lol

The girls at the wine store did that. Please don't encourage them.

Jopo528 wrote:This one? Yeah, Eric has it in his room, lol

Yup... right here.

Sorta "hidden" in the corner. A Roessler Peregrine has been added to the shelf since. Damn good stuff.

edit: it's good, but not truly worthy of the favorites shelf. Just couldn't bring myself to throw away a hilarious label.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT