+ Add a Comment

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

DETAILS:
DATE: 5/16/2009
TIME: 5:00PM (EST)
THEME: Dark & Delicious (All Hail PS)
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions)

That's it, my house can't hold any more people. If you're not already listed below, sorry!

ATTENDEES:

  • cheron98
  • Loweeel
  • Zoomba77
  • tommythecat78
  • HitAnyKey42
  • TheMostRighteous
  • oppsie +1
  • mother (+1 or 2)
  • FairNymph
  • jrbw3
  • tenuki
  • Talyn22 +1

MAYBE:
  • Daystar

REGRETS:
  • superspryte
  • ddeuddeg & bahwm
  • cyborgdo11
  • everyone who misses this one


I've got a lot of PS that wants to be tried and I can't do it alone. I will provide the wine for this one, and will suggest a cover charge for everyone. And of course, there will be food provided.

And the special feature of the evening:

A three-year vertical of CORISON Petite Sirah (Acapella label).

TRANSPORTATION
For taxi service from/to the airport for our out-of-town friends, might I suggest Metro Airport Taxi, which has reasonable rates - $44 each way between my place and the airport. I am more than happy to come get people, however, I don't want to be spending hours going back and forth to the airport.

For Friday arrivals:
We are making a run to the airport at 6:30pm. If you're in by then, we'll pick you up. I am staying home from work on Friday, so if you arrive significantly earlier, we can probably do a second (earlier) run.

For Saturday arrivals:
As of 4/16, the two "ideal" times to be arriving into DTW look like by 11:30am and 2:30pm on Saturday. I will be doing the 11:30am run, and mother is arriving around 2:30 and renting a car, and has offered his chauffeur services.

For Sunday departures:
Since it looks like most of us (including myself) will be going to the game, if you are NOT going and wish to depart on Sunday morning, I can drop you off before or after breakfast - the airport is a short hop from the planned breakfast joint. If you ARE going to the game, I don't think it's wise to try to leave on Sunday.

For Monday departures:
I have to work. If your flight is in the morning, I am happy to bring you to the airport before I go to work, but it's gonna be crack-of-dawn early.

If you are in the McNamara terminal (Northwest airlines & its partners), plan on it taking approx 30 minutes to get from check-in to the gate. Add about 10 minutes if you're checking bags.

If you are in the North terminal (everything else), plan on it taking approx 45 minutes to get from check-in to the gate. Add about 10 minutes if you're checking bags.


FRIDAY
TMR arrives. Tommy arrives. Tenuki arrives (6:20pm @ DTW). Dinner at π(Pi) of Southfield @ 7:30ish.

SATURDAY
Loweeel & HAK arrive (11:30 @ DTW).
Lunch at Hellenic Coney Island in Southfield

mother arrives (2:30 @ DTW).

The Main Event @ 5pm:
Cost is looking to come out to something like $35pp, which will cover the cost of wine & food. Locals are welcome to bring any extra food, but I am providing lamb & kangaroo, along with whatever else I pick up for it (cheese, crackers). Could probably use a dessert.

Wines on the Menu
1987 Vincent Arroyo Petite Sirah
1997 Pedroncelli Petite Sirah
1999 Pedroncelli Petite Sirah
1999 Corison Petite Sirah Acappella
2000 Corison Petite Sirah Acappella
2002 Corison Petite Sirah Acappella
2003 Dry Creek Vineyard Petite Sirah DCV9 Estate
2003 Elyse Petite Sirah Rutherford
2005 Epiphany Petite Sirah Rodney's Vineyard
2005 Sandholdt Petite Sirah
2005 Stonehedge Petite Sirah Reserve
2006 Ty Caton Petite Sirah Caton Vineyard
2006 Francis Coppola / Niebaum-Coppola Petite Sirah Reserve Dessert Wine Ruby's Vineyard
PSpecial Bottle courtesy Loweeel
PSpecial Bottle courtesy Sparky
PSpecial Bottle courtesy TMR
PSpecial Bottle courtesy HAK

Food on the Menu
Grilled Kangaroo
Loweeel Lamb
Caper Sauce
Roasted Asparagus
Fingerling Fries
Fried Mushrooms
Veggie Kabobs
Loweeel's PShiitake Mushroom Spinach
S'mores
Amano Chocolates
Brandini Toffee
Tommy's Fudge
Various Cheeses

I have a nice deck. If you wish to have port & cigars after all is said and done, you are welcome to bring them.

SUNDAY
Breakfast @ Bomber, Ypsilanti, 9am
Tigers Game @ 1:05pm:
Block 1 (6, purchased, $55ea) Infield Box 122, row 24:
cheron98, TMR, tommy, HAK, Loweeel, mother

Block 2 (2, purchased, $58ea) Infield Box 122, row 22:
oppsie, oppsie + 1



I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
cheron98 wrote:Ok, I've got a lot of PS that wants to be tried and I can't do it alone. I will provide the wine for this one, and will suggest a cover charge for everyone. And of course, there will be food provided. Maybe we can convince Loweeel to come out and make some of his world famous lamb

And the special feature of the evening:

A three-year vertical of CORISON Petite Sirah (Acapella label).

Start talking dates - May or June? Available for me (one of the May dates may disappear):

5/2
5/16
5/30
6/6
6/27



possibly 5/30 or 6/6, but probably can't do any of these.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bahwm


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Ok, I've got a lot of PS that wants to be tried and I can't do it alone. I will provide the wine for this one, and will suggest a cover charge for everyone. And of course, there will be food provided. Maybe we can convince Loweeel to come out and make some of his world famous lamb

And the special feature of the evening:

A three-year vertical of CORISON Petite Sirah (Acapella label).

Start talking dates - May or June? Available for me (one of the May dates may disappear):

5/2
5/16
5/30
6/6
6/27


Sounds great! ddeuddeg and I would consider coming out. However, it looks like only 5/30 would work for both of us due to various other commitments and meetings. I will actually be in Quebec 5/16.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Sounds like the perfect event for my dark and delicious flourless chocolate cake, aka The Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, provided the May 30 date works out.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cyborgdo11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11

June 27th is out for Mike and me.

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

So tempted! I could visit my friends in that area, too...potentially, any date except the first & the last could work.

It's under consideration.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

That's getting into wedding time. I have 2 to go to so far, but I don't remember the exact dates off the top of my head. I know that one is in May though and one is in August. So as long as I'm not attending a wedding the weekend that is chosen you know you can count me in.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Looks like we're leaning to the 30th. Loweeel, I hope you can make it, cuz it just wouldn't be the same without the PSith Master

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
cheron98 wrote:Looks like we're leaning to the 30th. Loweeel, I hope you can make it, cuz it just wouldn't be the same without the PSith Master



I'm doing a lot of flying up to Ithaca this summer... so it will honestly depend on whether I hear good job news between now and then (and just how good that job news is).

BTW, I need to ask you an unrelated car rental question asap for this week, oh honorary jewdar operator

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Looks like we're leaning to the 30th. Loweeel, I hope you can make it, cuz it just wouldn't be the same without the PSith Master



And I will be in Denver on the 30th with L's doppelganger.

Of course, the PSith Master DOES have the same trio .... as do I ... muwhahahahahaha !


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Hmm, flights under $300 :P I'll definitely consider it just so I don't have to open my Corison, esp. if I do well in Vegas, or rather not badly :P 30th or after works, nothing before.

CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:And I will be in Denver on the 30th with L's doppelganger.

Of course, the PSith Master DOES have the same trio .... as do I ... muwhahahahahaha !



Yes, but me opening mine now means y'all get to save yours for another year to see the progression

I just hope they're not in dumb phase.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Looks like we're leaning to the 30th. Loweeel, I hope you can make it, cuz it just wouldn't be the same without the PSith Master



I totally agree. However, I have been known to do some very nice things with lamb.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:I totally agree. However, I have been known to do some very nice things with lamb.



Oh, me too But I'm trying to get Loweeel out here

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I suppose I might theoretically consider this. Especially cuz I'd love to try that vertical.
As of this exact moment, the weekend of 5/31 is free. But don't know what plans might come up. Plus I'm already going away the weekend before that AND the weekend after that, so making this trip as well would create a very expensive three weekends in a row.
So it would most especially depend on whether I can get a good price on a Southwest Airlines flight that weekend. And also hopefully at least a floor somewhere in Cat's house to crash.
How difficult/pricey is it to get from you to DTW? As doing a quick glance at the SWA website my best return flight price would be bright & early on Monday morning (almost a third of the price). Also getting in on Saturday my best price would be arriving at 5:30pm, so if you were starting after that I would be ok.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I suppose I might theoretically consider this. Especially cuz I'd love to try that vertical.
As of this exact moment, the weekend of 5/31 is free. But don't know what plans might come up. Plus I'm already going away the weekend before that AND the weekend after that, so making this trip as well would create a very expensive three weekends in a row.
So it would most especially depend on whether I can get a good price on a Southwest Airlines flight that weekend. And also hopefully at least a floor somewhere in Cat's house to crash.
How difficult/pricey is it to get from you to DTW? As doing a quick glance at the SWA website my best return flight price would be bright & early on Monday morning (almost a third of the price). Also getting in on Saturday my best price would be arriving at 5:30pm, so if you were starting after that I would be ok.



From me to DTW? Pricey = free. Difficult = easy. Exit airport on 275N, go straight up 275 to my house. Essentially. My place is only about a half hour away. It's about a $40 cab ride if you were to take a cab, but if the timing is right, I can come get you. Or maybe send Tommy after you I can definitely drop you off at the airport on Monday morning.

Generally we start stuff here around 5pm, so if you can get in any earlier (or late Friday night even) then that'd be better.

I have plenty of floor space + a couch that embrangles people in. I have one guest room that is pre-claimed by tommy, but if Loweeel is able to make it out, he gets dibs on it, being the PSith Master and all. There is also a second "guest" room which is usually used by the cat, but we can push her stuff out of there and set up the air mattress. And I've got a finished basement that another air mattress can go in. And the couch. And the living room floor. Lots of space.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

I just double-checked May 30th and unfortunately, we HAVE to be at church on Sun. May 31st at 10 AM. It's Pentecost. Gotta sing in the choir for the Feast Day.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:I just double-checked May 30th and unfortunately, we HAVE to be at church on Sun. May 31st at 10 AM. It's Pentecost. Gotta sing in the choir for the Feast Day.



Oh sad

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

The PSith Master has PStated he can PShow up on the PSixteenth of May.

Takers?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cheron98 wrote:The PSith Master has PStated he can PShow up on the PSixteenth of May.

Takers?



Hey HAK - looks like the 16th is a better date for you too, since then you can arrive at like 11:30 am for the same price as that later flight.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cyborgdo11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11
cheron98 wrote:Hey HAK - looks like the 16th is a better date for you too, since then you can arrive at like 11:30 am for the same price as that later flight.



Oops I forgot my cousin's wedding is May 16th in New Jersey. So i can't make it that day.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cyborgdo11 wrote:Oops I forgot my cousin's wedding is May 16th in New Jersey. So i can't make it that day.



You taking the boy with you, or just you goin?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Zoomba77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

5/2 - Free
5/16 - I'm free, Elisa will be out of town
5/30 - Free
6/6 - Free
6/27- Busy

tommythecat78


quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:From me to DTW? Pricey = free. Difficult = easy. Exit airport on 275N, go straight up 275 to my house. Essentially. My place is only about a half hour away. It's about a $40 cab ride if you were to take a cab, but if the timing is right, I can come get you. Or maybe send Tommy after you I can definitely drop you off at the airport on Monday morning.

Generally we start stuff here around 5pm, so if you can get in any earlier (or late Friday night even) then that'd be better.

I have plenty of floor space + a couch that embrangles people in. I have one guest room that is pre-claimed by tommy, but if Loweeel is able to make it out, he gets dibs on it, being the PSith Master and all. There is also a second "guest" room which is usually used by the cat, but we can push her stuff out of there and set up the air mattress. And I've got a finished basement that another air mattress can go in. And the couch. And the living room floor. Lots of space.



If I am there I have no problems picking HAK up. And I will say that yeah, plenty of space and a most excellent comfy couch. I will probably be passed out in the sauna. Not to mention miss cheron is a fantastic hostess. I really need to find out when the wedding in May is.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
cheron98 wrote:The PSith Master has PStated he can PShow up on the PSixteenth of May.

Takers?


i might be persuaded... ;)

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

alright i'm calling it.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
cheron98 wrote:alright i'm calling it.



YAY! PSounds PSuper!

Wii kan haz canguhru meet? :-D

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
PetiteSirah wrote:YAY! PSounds PSuper!

Wii kan haz canguhru meet? :-D


whah?!?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

if i do attend (which i sincerely hope to be able to do), is anybody interested in catching either the Fri night (pref) or the Sun afternoon Tigers-A's game?

EDIT: i checked TM. best seats currently available are $65 (plus all sorts of silly fees to be sure) in the third base 'den'. might be able to do better on SH, but these seats seem to be very nicely located (and would never be available at Wrigley for less than $200-$300 in the aftermarket).

do you know... what biodynamics is?

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
themostrighteous wrote:if i do attend (which i sincerely hope to be able to do), is anybody interested in catching either the Fri night (pref) or the Sun afternoon Tigers-A's game?

EDIT: i checked TM. best seats currently available are $65 (plus all sorts of silly fees to be sure) in the third base 'den'. might be able to do better on SH, but these seats seem to be very nicely located (and would never be available at Wrigley for less than $200-$300 in the aftermarket).



Wine + baseball = awesome. Assuming I can get there in time for Friday, I mean.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
PetiteSirah wrote:YAY! PSounds PSuper!

Wii kan haz canguhru meet? :-D



I can pick up kangaroo meat, yes. It's pricey, though.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

PetiteSirah


quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
themostrighteous wrote:whah?!?



kangaroo

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!


"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
PetiteSirah wrote:Wine + baseball = awesome. Assuming I can get there in time for Friday, I mean.


dood, if Sunday works better for you (1:05 PM EDT start time), speak-ee up-ee.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
themostrighteous wrote:if i do attend (which i sincerely hope to be able to do), is anybody interested in catching either the Fri night (pref) or the Sun afternoon Tigers-A's game?

EDIT: i checked TM. best seats currently available are $65 (plus all sorts of silly fees to be sure) in the third base 'den'. might be able to do better on SH, but these seats seem to be very nicely located (and would never be available at Wrigley for less than $200-$300 in the aftermarket).



...driving into detroit... eeep...

um... sure... Maybe. eep. Friday night would be rough for me with getting out of work @ 5:30ish and then having to battle downtown. That's -hard-.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
PetiteSirah wrote:kangaroo


yeah, that's what i thought initially, but i figured that couldn't be it. so, evidently, i was wrong! joey - especially joey tail - is said to be most tastee Down Under. but in D town? howdoyoufigure???

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
cheron98 wrote:...driving into detroit... eeep...

um... sure... Maybe. eep. Friday night would be rough for me with getting out of work @ 5:30ish and then having to battle downtown. That's -hard-.


please see post above re Sunday...

do you know... what biodynamics is?

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

It's official. I'm attending.

Plane lands at DTW at 11:55am on Saturday morning. Then fly home at 9:20am on Monday morning. Gonna be sucky having to get to the airport on Sat morning to catch that 7:40am flight. Ick!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
themostrighteous wrote:yeah, that's what i thought initially, but i figured that couldn't be it. so, evidently, i was wrong! joey - especially joey tail - is said to be most tastee Down Under. but in D town? howdoyoufigure???



There's a store called Hiller's that sells all kinds of bizarre meat. Kangaroo is one of them. That's how we had our "weird meat" tasting way back.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's official. I'm attending.

Plane lands at DTW at 11:55am on Saturday morning. Then fly home at 9:20am on Monday morning. Gonna be sucky having to get to the airport on Sat morning to catch that 7:40am flight. Ick!



Sucky for you or sucky for me?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

themostrighteous


quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
themostrighteous wrote:if i do attend (which i sincerely hope to be able to do), is anybody interested in catching either the Fri night (pref) or the Sun afternoon Tigers-A's game?

EDIT: i checked TM. best seats currently available are $65 (plus all sorts of silly fees to be sure) in the third base 'den'. might be able to do better on SH, but these seats seem to be very nicely located (and would never be available at Wrigley for less than $200-$300 in the aftermarket).


awesome seats avail on SH for Sunday's game at 1:05 PM. e.g. 17th row above visitor's dugout between home & first = $49 plus fees. (!) sold only in even numbers (2, 4, or 6 in this case), so we'd need an even bunch. who's interested & available?

do you know... what biodynamics is?