cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

DETAILS:
DATE: 3/21/2009
TIME: 5:00PM (EST)
THEME: Spring Thaw - Break out the grill!
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions)

ATTENDEES:

REGRETS:
  • superspryte
  • ddeuddeg & bahwm
  • tommythecat78
  • oppsie
  • meyer22 +1
  • Cherrion
  • Talyn22
  • jwink

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77
cheron98 wrote:Hey all,

#4 has come and gone, time to start thinking about the next one. Do we want something in March? And we'll need a theme Maybe a simple "Open That Bottle" like so many others have done, or something entirely new.

Feedback!

So far we've done:
"Weird Food"
"Palate Training"
"Sushi"
and the very first one which was "Umm, lets drink!"

Depending on people's food restrictions (allergies, severe dislikes etc), we could try some more food themes. We did Sushi and Bubbly this last time, how about Thai food? Indian food? Mexican? Italian? Wines that go well with winter foods (soups, stews, caseroles etc).

And March works well for me.
-Mike

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Depending on people's food restrictions (allergies, severe dislikes etc), we could try some more food themes. We did Sushi and Bubbly this last time, how about Thai food? Indian food? Mexican? Italian? Wines that go well with winter foods (soups, stews, caseroles etc).

And March works well for me.
-Mike

Hmmmmm... winter foods.... Potential! Although we're pushing spring at this point - first day of spring is March 20th. We could do tasting on March 21st as a welcome to spring kind of thing, maybe focus on springtime wines + springtime foods?

We're gonna get a reputation as the Foodie Group.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

we could just sacrifice a little lamb and some bunnies.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:we could just sacrifice a little lamb and some bunnies.

Mmm lamb...

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I vote for as many as often as you like as long as there's one in August I can go to. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:Hey all,

#4 has come and gone, time to start thinking about the next one. Do we want something in March? And we'll need a theme Maybe a simple "Open That Bottle" like so many others have done, or something entirely new.

Feedback!

Count me in depending on the date.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

superspryte wrote:I vote for as many as often as you like as long as there's one in August I can go to. ^_~

Well dur. August 15 for you Just not putting it as a thread yet so we don't mess up the # sequence

cheron98

Oooh, we could also do a "Break out the grill" day Or maybe save that for later/closer to summer.

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Oooh, we could also do a "Break out the grill" day Or maybe save that for later/closer to summer.

Spring is pretty close to summer.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Oooh, we could also do a "Break out the grill" day Or maybe save that for later/closer to summer.

But if you do that now what's gonna happen in August? *pout*

Ohhh, nevermind. Bonfire and s'mores...

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

tommythecat78

superspryte wrote:But if you do that now what's gonna happen in August? *pout*

I hear chocolate goes good with wine.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:But if you do that now what's gonna happen in August? *pout*

I ain't waiting til August to break out the grill, girl Nothing saying we can't grill up in August too. And there IS a little beach area that I've seen some kids create small little fires on that we could possibly appropriate for bonfire and s'mores

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11
cheron98 wrote:
We're gonna get a reputation as the Foodie Group.

O horrors! ;)

I am totally ok with being in the foodie group if that ends up being the moniker that sticks.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

And it's totally not related to this one, but I'd like to request the Ambrosia again. That was amazing and I've been raving about it here in Japan, although I've been woefully unable to find it...

PS - For this one winter foods sounds like a fabulous idea. I'd love tasting notes from that so I know what kinds of foods go well with various wines. Usually "winter foods" are easier to make and that could be exciting and stuff. ...it's 2am so I'mma shaddup now. Hope that made sense.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:And it's totally not related to this one, but I'd like to request the Ambrosia again. That was amazing and I've been raving about it here in Japan, although I've been woefully unable to find it...

The ambrosia?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:The ambrosia?

The Canadian icewine.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:The Canadian icewine.

Oh THAT! The chocolate one! Yeah I was totally planning on stopping at Crown Bench when I head out to Buffalo in April to pick some up. Cuz that was DELICIOUS.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Oh THAT! The chocolate one! Yeah I was totally planning on stopping at Crown Bench when I head out to Buffalo in April to pick some up. Cuz that was DELICIOUS.

Truth. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to carry a bottle or two back to Japan with me. I'm pretty sure they don't ship to me so I have to get it myself. It might be worth the trip out there just to get it. o_O

Cherrion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cherrion

[quote postid="2976346" user="cheron98"]Hey all,

Hi!
I'm new to the group, was referred by a friend and I'd love to attend! Let me know how I can contribute!

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Who needs spring to break out the grill? Ours is already out and ready to go!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bahwm wrote:Who needs spring to break out the grill? Ours is already out and ready to go!

I need a grill. I even have a balcony and am on the top floor. *pout*

No doubt that would somehow get me deported though... -_-;

Zoomba77

Are we leaning towards any specific date yet? My March is quickly filling up and I definitely want to reserve time for this!

cheron98

superspryte wrote:Truth. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to try to carry a bottle or two back to Japan with me. I'm pretty sure they don't ship to me so I have to get it myself. It might be worth the trip out there just to get it. o_O

We can compare it to the lovely Rosenblum Cellars Desiree Chocolate Port that I picked up this weekend

cheron98

Cherrion wrote:Hi!
I'm new to the group, was referred by a friend and I'd love to attend! Let me know how I can contribute!

Hi! We love fresh meat!! Er.. new faces... And fresh meat... Welcome, welcome! Keep an eye on the thread here to see what's up and what to bring

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Who needs spring to break out the grill? Ours is already out and ready to go!

Well, mine, until recently, was buried under snow

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Are we leaning towards any specific date yet? My March is quickly filling up and I definitely want to reserve time for this!

I'm thinking we should set it at March 21st for the first of spring. Agree?

Zoomba77

Funny enough, that's the one weekend left in March that I know for a fact I have free. I'm in.

cheron98

Ok, date is set at 3/21. Now we need to settle on a theme...

tommythecat78

Sweet! I should be able to attend then!!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:We can compare it to the lovely Rosenblum Cellars Desiree Chocolate Port that I picked up this weekend

I you so much right now.

cheron98

superspryte wrote:

I you so much right now.

I think I'm gonna go start a thread for that one since we seem to be doing more planning for THAT than this one

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11
cheron98 wrote:DETAILS:
DATE: 3/21/2009
TIME: 5:00PM (EST)
THEME: TBD
HOST: cheron98 (PM for directions)

ATTENDEES:
  • cheron98
  • Zoomba77
  • tommythecat78

MAYBE:
  • oppsie
  • cyborgdo11
  • Cherrion

REGRETS:
  • superspryte

You can change me to a yes.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cyborgdo11 wrote:You can change me to a yes.

Alas, we'll have to be in the regrets column. That weekend, like all others in March, is already committed. We'll try for the next one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:I think I'm gonna go start a thread for that one since we seem to be doing more planning for THAT than this one

sowwies...

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Just saw this thread, I should be in. As for ideas, i'm not opposed with the "foodie group" afterall that's what eveyone wants to pair wine with, right?

I like the grill idea, we can do pairing with a "big fat steak" or even salmon (which holds up to grilling) or a little of both. Trader Joes has salmon burgers too (yes frozen) but that may be an easy way to do it.

If anyone has one of those "turkey fryers" set ups; i've got a great shrimp boil recipe/method that is an absolute blast to do (best done outside). If it involves cooking I'll volunteer to be the sous-chef

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

cheron98

jwink wrote:Just saw this thread, I should be in. As for ideas, i'm not opposed with the "foodie group" afterall that's what eveyone wants to pair wine with, right?

I like the grill idea, we can do pairing with a "big fat steak" or even salmon (which holds up to grilling) or a little of both. Trader Joes has salmon burgers too (yes frozen) but that may be an easy way to do it.

If anyone has one of those "turkey fryers" set ups; i've got a great shrimp boil recipe/method that is an absolute blast to do (best done outside). If it involves cooking I'll volunteer to be the sous-chef

Turns out it looks like the pubsters are doing their next version of the Fruit Forward & Fabulous thing on March 20/21 - March Merlot Madness or something along those lines. Do we want to follow suit and go with merlot, or do our own thang?

No turkey fryer. I'm pretty sure my condo association would frown on that. Bust out the grill, though!

Miss cyborgdo11 over there is a veggie, usually, though you can coax her into eating chicken from time to time

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jwink wrote:Just saw this thread, I should be in. As for ideas, i'm not opposed with the "foodie group" afterall that's what eveyone wants to pair wine with, right?

An easy way to make perfect fish every time is to put the piece of fish (preferably on a bed of something like spinach, but alone works too) on a square of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with margarine/butter or water (for low-cal variation) and seasonings. Then fold the corners together and pinch sealed so the liquid doesn't escape. Takes 20 minutes in an oven at 350, but I'm not sure of the grill timing. It'll be perfectly moist every time though so it might be worth giving a shot. You can use any kind of fish, but I usually do whitefish or salmon this way. Have tried other things and it works.

This way you can choose any fish and no worries about messing it up.

meyer22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meyer22

Hmmm - A wine woot tasting in the Detroit area you say? This sounds like something that I shouldnt miss. Would there be room for one or two (gotta bring my wife you know!) new faces? Im sure I could find a few friends in the cellar to join us. And if you are still looking for themes I love the idea of grilled lamb and good red wine. Call it "Lamb and Libations..."

Kurt

cheron98

meyer22 wrote:Hmmm - A wine woot tasting in the Detroit area you say? This sounds like something that I shouldnt miss. Would there be room for one or two (gotta bring my wife you know!) new faces? Im sure I could find a few friends in the cellar to join us. And if you are still looking for themes I love the idea of grilled lamb and good red wine. Call it "Lamb and Libations..."

Kurt

Of course, of course!

Maybe we'll break out the lamb burgers