+ Add a Comment

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Buffalo/WNY Wine Woot Tasting #1: South Buffalo, NY (aka: God's Country)
All are welcome.
Only six (6), count them, 6 days to go to Buff-a-lo! Now's the time to let us know if you are coming and what you are bringing. (We have to buy food!) Locals: We would love to have you bring some appetizers, French bread and plain crackers, etc. We could use a few other simple desserts.

THE Date: April 25th

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: Finger Lakes, WNY, Southern Ontario
DATE: 4/25/09
TIME: 5 PM
LOCATION: bahwm & ddeuddeg's house. Directions and contact info will be provided via PM.
Additional COST:$5.00 to defray the cost of nematic's port.

Friday evening: April 24th: Optional romp for the illuminated view of Niagara Falls, Ontario, CANADA. Saturday morning/early afternoon: Winery tastings in Southern Ontario.

Attendees: (so far)
1 & 2. bahwm & ddeuddeg (hosts)- Dinner: Honey Lime Marinated Pork Tenderloin; Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Garlic Green Beans paired with various Pinots Noirs. Oh, yeah, almost forgot: Dessert: ddeuddeg's famous Chocolate Cheesecake.

3.nematic

Fox Run Vineyards
    08 Dry Riesling
    08 Gewurtz

08 Pinot
    08 CS - New Oak
    08 CS - Old Oak
    08 Merlot - Old Oak
    07 Lemberger

07 Lemberger ruby port
    07 CS ruby port
    07 Merlot ruby port

4. cheron98 -TBD Ontario winery
5. Storamin
6. MarkDaSpark -
    Fox Run 07 Dry Riesling
    Fox Run 07 Tierce

7 & 8. polarbear22 & Mrs PB - PB's homemade dessert-style riesling
9. tommythecat78 - TBD - Ontario winery
10 & 11. squirtbc & +1
12 & 13. kttest & Cesare - kttest's homemade chocolate chip cookies
14. tiger7610 - Prejean Winery Tiger Lily
15 & 16. citizenkane + 1 appetizer

MAYBES:
1. jims19
2 & 3. smlusk & Mr smlusk

REGRETS:

* javadrinker
* jenludwig +1 - joining the FL tour Sat.AM
* laxdad & laxmom
* wolfen18
* Lighter
* everyone who misses this one

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:Hi All! Now that winter is officially upon us in the Buffalo, NY area, ddeuddeg and I are starting to think more seriously about a possible date for the first ever WNY/Buffalo tasting--after the thaw! We know that there are a few people out in this neck of the woods and probably a few more lurkers! Plus, we have tour-istas from all over the country!

So, we are thinking about sometime in May. It is a pretty time of year out here and there should be no snow advisories at that time. We would need to do it on a Saturday. However, Sat. May 16th is out since I will be in Quebec City with two busses of kids!

We don't have a theme yet, but let's get talking. Of course, it may even be a little early to start thinking about airfare, if that's what you need to do, but, start looking!

Too early to commit for me, but I will be watching!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Heh, only 440 miles from my place on Long Island, NY to Buffalo, NY. Think I should drive 8 hours just for a few hour wine tasting?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I plan to try and make a weekend of it. Spend some time in the Finger Lakes and make the tasting. Hopefully laxdad will make it assuming I do and I can deliver his wine.

C'mon Hwy 29 irregulars. The Finger Lakes has some excellent Reislings and Gewurtztraminers. And Nematic better be around.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Heh, only 440 miles from my place on Long Island, NY to Buffalo, NY. Think I should drive 8 hours just for a few hour wine tasting?

Maybe. You might be better off driving than going through the hassle of flying. We flew out to Vegas for SoCal #4 last month. We did get an awesome deal on airfare.

Keep your eyes on things and see what develops. . .

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
bahwm wrote:Maybe. You might be better off driving than going through the hassle of flying.

May isn't available for a look, but April - leave Friday return Sunday JFK to BUF is $109 on JetBlue round trip.

OR, you drive for a couple days in the Fingerlakes doing wineries and then a half hour doing wineries in the Niagara Frontier. Do Buf and then hop on the thruway for a cruise home.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Heh, only 440 miles from my place on Long Island, NY to Buffalo, NY. Think I should drive 8 hours just for a few hour wine tasting?

It's surprising (to me, at least) how many people have no idea how far apart the ends of the state are. I had a summer job as a tour guide at Niagara Falls for a couple of summers, and once there was a couple of newlyweds from Virginia Beach on my tour. They wanted to know the best way to get to New York City, and when I asked them why they wanted to know, they said they thought while they were in the vicinity, they'd see a little of NYC. I told them they were closer to NYC at home than they were in Niagara Falls, and they looked at me like I had three heads.
I don't know how convenient it might be for you to head 440 miles this way, but you'd certainly be welcome. We're interested in seeing just how many wooters there are in the WNY area, hoping we can get a nice group together. There has already been some interest shown by others as far away as Southern California.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:I plan to try and make a weekend of it. Spend some time in the Finger Lakes and make the tasting. Hopefully laxdad will make it assuming I do and I can deliver his wine.

C'mon Hwy 29 irregulars. The Finger Lakes has some excellent Reislings and Gewurtztraminers. And Nematic better be around.

Haven't seen him on the blog in quite a while. Probably should email him to make sure he knows we're looking for him

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Cesare

quality posts: 1615 Private Messages Cesare
ddeuddeg wrote:Haven't seen him on the blog in quite a while. Probably should email him to make sure he knows we're looking for him

I emailed him about a week ago and he was still in Australia.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98

Lighter wrote:May isn't available for a look, but April - leave Friday return Sunday JFK to BUF is $109 on JetBlue round trip.

OR, you drive for a couple days in the Fingerlakes doing wineries and then a half hour doing wineries in the Niagara Frontier. Do Buf and then hop on the thruway for a cruise home.

Or drive through Canada! Oh wait, that's just me...

I really need to get my passport... I'm not sure how much longer they're gonna let us travel without them...

ddeuddeg

Lighter wrote: a half hour doing wineries in the Niagara Frontier.

Actually the Niagara County wine trail is growing into something worth a bit more than a half hour. Quoting from the Niagara Wine Trail website: The Niagara Escarpment and Lake Ontario have created a unique microclimate suitable for the production of World Class Wines. Experience the beautiful countryside of this area as you spend the day traveling from one winery to another.

Mind you, they keep insisting on trying to do reds, when the terroir is much better suited to whites. Maybe they'll learn some day.

ddeuddeg

Cesare wrote:I emailed him about a week ago and he was still in Australia.

Thanks for reminding me. I knew that, but I forgot.

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Or drive through Canada! Oh wait, that's just me...

I really need to get my passport... I'm not sure how much longer they're gonna let us travel without them...

NYS is providing the opportunity of obtaining an "enhanced" drivers license. I guess all of your pertinent info is encoded in it and it is acceptable for entry into Canada and re-entry into the U.S. I'm afraid that I don't have all of the details right now, but I'll check. I think some regs are changing effective Jan. 2009. Our passports are still valid so we don't even think about it!

cheron98

bahwm wrote:NYS is providing the opportunity of obtaining an "enhanced" drivers license. I guess all of your pertinent info is encoded in it and it is acceptable for entry into Canada and re-entry into the U.S. I'm afraid that I don't have all of the details right now, but I'll check. I think some regs are changing effective Jan. 2009. Our passports are still valid so we don't even think about it!

Michigan is going to be doing the same thing. I just have to actually go and DO it, y'know? And I'm lazy as all heck

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad

I would definitely be interested but every Saturday in April and May (and hopefully the first half of June) are already booked for me.

Whatever works out date-wise I will see what I can do, but usually I'm booked the entire day and evening for those Saturdays. In fact right now I don't even see an away game in Buffalo during that time (which we usually have).

As the dates firm up though I will see what I can do!

jims19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jims19

I would be interested as well. I would be coming in from the Rochester/Greece area.

Jim

bahwm

jims19 wrote:I would be interested as well. I would be coming in from the Rochester/Greece area.

Jim

Excellent! Welcome! I don't remember seeing you on the boards, but that's OK.

jims19

Been around for a bit...I don't say much unless I can add to the conversation.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
bahwm wrote:Hi All! Now that winter is officially upon us in the Buffalo, NY area, ddeuddeg and I are starting to think more seriously about a possible date for the first ever WNY/Buffalo tasting--after the thaw! We know that there are a few people out in this neck of the woods and probably a few more lurkers! Plus, we have tour-istas from all over the country!

So, we are thinking about April 25th or sometime in May. It is a pretty time of year out here and there should be no snow advisories at that time! We would need to do it on a Saturday. However, Sat. May 16th is out since I will be in Quebec City with two busses of kids!

We don't have a theme yet, but let's get talking. Of course, it may even be a little early to start thinking about airfare, if that's what you need to do, but, start looking!

In case you didn't know: Niagara Falls is only a half hour away by car.

bout time you bums got goinng!!! :P

do you know... what biodynamics is?

bahwm

jims19 wrote:Been around for a bit...I don't say much unless I can add to the conversation.

Makes sense. O-o-o-o. Look at your square! The forums can be time consuming. We got to know a lot of people from the rpm tour, so we have gotten into posting more. We're looking forward to meeting you!

jims19

bahwm wrote:Makes sense. O-o-o-o. Look at your square! The forums can be time consuming. We got to know a lot of people from the rpm tour, so we have gotten into posting more. We're looking forward to meeting you!

44 wine.woots and counting.

I'm usually on the forums all day, even when I don't purchase. Lots of great information and conversation.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
jims19 wrote:44 wine.woots and counting.

I'm usually on the forums all day, even when I don't purchase. Lots of great information and conversation.

Like the Muppets!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bahwm

themostrighteous wrote:bout time you bums got goinng!!! :P

So, you comin'?

bahwm

themostrighteous wrote:bout time you bums got goinng!!! :P

So, you comin'?

Ooops! Sorry. Double post.

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:So, you comin'?

Ooops! Sorry. Double post.

That's OK. You have to ask him more than once.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

cheron98

polarbear22 wrote:That's OK. You have to ask him more than once.

And sometimes he'll change his mind three or four times before settling, so just because he says yes or no now, doesn't mean he will or will not come

jims19

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Like the Muppets!

I do like The Muppets...

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
bahwm wrote:So, you comin'?

wish that i could. gotta get my act together in the New Year & figure out what i want to be when i grow up. decisions, decisions, decisions...

do you know... what biodynamics is?

smlusk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlusk

This is my first post- have been a lurker (and imbiber!) for a while.

I'm very interested in a tasting- would be coming from Rochester as well- would also be happy to host something in Roc if the Buffalo tasting is a success!

smlusk

This is my first post- have been a lurker (and imbiber!) for a while.

I'm very interested in a tasting- would be coming from Rochester as well- would also be happy to host something in Roc if the Buffalo tasting is a success!

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:wish that i could. gotta get my act together in the New Year & figure out what i want to be when i grow up. decisions, decisions, decisions...

Only if you plan to grow up.

My Cellar

polarbear22

smlusk wrote:This is my first post- have been a lurker (and imbiber!) for a while.

Hmm, so even if laxdad can't attend, I can get his wine to Rochester. Small carrying bottle for smlusk as handling fee vs. shipping costs? Have to keep that in mind as we get closer.

Mrs. PB is getting convinced. Since she knows no one, she is reluctant on the tasting, however, she liked our last trip to the Finger Lakes, so a long weekend should win her over.

My Cellar

smlusk

polarbear22 wrote:Hmm, so even if laxdad can't attend, I can get his wine to Rochester. Small carrying bottle for smlusk as handling fee vs. shipping costs? Have to keep that in mind as we get closer.

Mrs. PB is getting convinced. Since she knows no one, she is reluctant on the tasting, however, she liked our last trip to the Finger Lakes, so a long weekend should win her over.

Mr. Smlusk is also hesitant- hopefully I can convince him. Happy to bring a delivery back east!

bahwm

smlusk wrote:This is my first post- have been a lurker (and imbiber!) for a while.

b-b-b-BAAANJO!! Good to see that you've come out of lurking! We would be happy to have you and Mr. smlusk come out. You and your hubby will find that wooters are a friendly bunch!

Rochester's not that far away. Where abouts are you?

bahwm

bahwm wrote:b-b-b-BAAANJO!! Good to see that you've come out of lurking! We would be happy to have you and Mr. smlusk come out. You and your hubby will find that wooters are a friendly bunch!

Rochester's not that far away. Where abouts are you?

Darn filters! (Click on reply to find out what the poster really said.) What a great way to greet someone!

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Hmm, so even if laxdad can't attend, I can get his wine to Rochester. Small carrying bottle for smlusk as handling fee vs. shipping costs? Have to keep that in mind as we get closer.

Sounds good. We're looking forward to meeting Mrs. PB. We're pretty easy to get to know, don't you think? She should know by now that wooters are pretty cool people. We may purchase a little more wine than the average bear, but, that's what we do! Now, where are we going to put that next delivery?

ddeuddeg

Since I'm already committed to get some wine to laxdad, even if smlusk doesn't get here, I could take care of it for you. Tell Mrs. PB that bahwm is right -- we are a friendly bunch. And I can grill a mighty nice pork tenderloin.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Since I'm already committed to get some wine to laxdad, even if smlusk doesn't get here, I could take care of it for you. Tell Mrs. PB that bahwm is right -- we are a friendly bunch. And I can grill a mighty nice pork tenderloin.

I can attest to the fact that you and Bahwm are very easy to meet. And so far, all the wooters have been. We start with something in common and go from there.

My Cellar

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm in buffalo, so that time will be right around finals for me, but maybe as a break I will be interested. Why wait for the thaw though? Why not do it earlier and celebrate the winter with some warm reds? We could do it in early march, snow should be down at that point

polarbear22

tiger7610 wrote:I'm in buffalo, so that time will be right around finals for me, but maybe as a break I will be interested. Why wait for the thaw though? Why not do it earlier and celebrate the winter with some warm reds? We could do it in early march, snow should be down at that point

I think there is some hope that some non-northerners, from the rpm tour, would come. Even for me, the drive is long enough that it would be hard to plan the trip when the snow could still fly.

My Cellar