cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

oppsie and the mrs. polasek and tommythecat have challenged each other to a sushi battle! And what goes better with sushi than bubbly? Probably be best to do this after the holidays are over with, but I wanted to get this up here and start looking for a date. So come and join us!!

DETAILS:
THEME: Sushi Battle and Bubbly
DATE: 2/7
HOST: cheron98 (pm for location/directions)
FOOD: provided by Noble, oppsie will be gathering. Please bring $15-20 per person to cover expenses.

ATTENDEES:

REGRETS:
  • TMR
  • spryte

For those of you coming from out-of-town (or in-towners who want to join us), I am anticipating heading for breakfast on Saturday Morning at approx. 10am to the Bomber in Ypsilanti, followed by some wine-shop-hopping If you need a ride to/from your hotel(s), let me know and I'll come get you.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:oppsie and the mrs. polasek have challenged each other to a sushi battle! And what goes better with sushi than bubbly? Probably be best to do this after the holidays are over with, but I wanted to get this up here and start looking for a date. So come and join us!!

DETAILS:
THEME: Sushi battle and bubbly
DATE: TBD (after the holidays)
HOST: cheron98 (pm for location/directions)

ATTENDEES:
  1. cheron98
  2. oppsie
  3. Polaseks

Why does everyone keep leaving contestant #3 out?!?!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Why does everyone keep leaving contestant #3 out?!?!

Um, cuz y'all were talking about it after I'd already had 2 or 3 glasses of wine? Fixed

cheron98

If JW can bump, so can I! Besides, this should be higher than #3 now anyways...

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:oppsie and the mrs. polasek and tommythecat have challenged each other to a sushi battle! And what goes better with sushi than bubbly? Probably be best to do this after the holidays are over with, but I wanted to get this up here and start looking for a date. So come and join us!!

So basically everyone is going to sit around cheering while the three of us consume? Excellent.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:So basically everyone is going to sit around cheering while the three of us consume? Excellent.

Heck no, I'm eating Just not being part of the competition. Otherwise, yes, we'll be sitting around cheering. And having THE BUBBLY!

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

Sushi? Hells yeah, count me in!

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11

Just let me know when.

tommythecat78

So are we talking another gathering at Cat's or a restaurant type deal?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

tommythecat78

oppsie wrote:So basically everyone is going to sit around cheering while the three of us consume? Excellent.

Does that mean we get our own cheerleaders?

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:So are we talking another gathering at Cat's or a restaurant type deal?

Um... yes...

That's what we need to figure out - if the sushi place they were talking about does to-go/catering orders, we may want to go that route and bring it to my place to avoid any possible corkage fees. I'll have to poke at R & J and see what they know. And get their asses on here.

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Um... yes...

That's what we need to figure out - if the sushi place they were talking about does to-go/catering orders, we may want to go that route and bring it to my place to avoid any possible corkage fees. I'll have to poke at R & J and see what they know. And get their asses on here.

I would strongly recommend getting the food from Noble. They do trays. We can do this at my house.

I also reserve veto power over whatever restaurant they think is better/more economical.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I would strongly recommend getting the food from Noble. They do trays. We can do this at my house.

But... but... then I have to drive... and... then I'd have to drive...

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:But... but... then I have to drive... and... then I'd have to drive...

I have couches. But whatever, I don't care about venue, only source of food.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I have couches. But whatever, I don't care about venue, only source of food.

Yah but there'll be tommy too. Who won't be in any condition to drive. And quite probably Thom too. Who also probably won't be in any condition to drive. And... there's a reason we hold these things at my place!!!

Zoomba77

cheron98 wrote:Yah but there'll be tommy too. Who won't be in any condition to drive. And quite probably Thom too. Who also probably won't be in any condition to drive. And... there's a reason we hold these things at my place!!!

And thankfully I don't have very far to drive!

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

This sounds like the best idea ever. NoVA folks, can we please do this sometime? I know we already did sparklers, but maybe we could sushi and white wines? Please?

cheron98

theresa1013 wrote:This sounds like the best idea ever. NoVA folks, can we please do this sometime? I know we already did sparklers, but maybe we could sushi and white wines? Please?

First Chicago, now NoVA, stealin' my ideas?! theresa, you should just come on out here for ours! Be glad to have ya over

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:First Chicago, now NoVA, stealin' my ideas?! theresa, you should just come on out here for ours! Be glad to have ya over

Thought I'd better get over here, so as not to cause Sparky any more discomfort. He's too good a friend. I'd love to get in on this, even though bahwm and I aren't big sushi eaters. After all, that could change, since it's mostly just a lack of exposure thing, and we do love bubbly. Just picked up a couple bottles of the Mumm's Cuvée M today because it was on sale.
Right after the holidays is still pretty crazy hereabouts, and we're already committed to Chicago on 1/24. We're also hosting a little Super Bowl party, so 2/7 is the first date that would be realistic for us. If that's too long to wait, we'll just look for the next one.
I just happened to think, since we'll be driving, I could bring the amazing Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, if there's the right wine combo. Bubbly would do, or a big red. I'll put it in the memory file for future consideration.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Thought I'd better get over here, so as not to cause Sparky any more discomfort. He's too good a friend. I'd love to get in on this, even though bahwm and I aren't big sushi eaters. After all, that could change, since it's mostly just a lack of exposure thing, and we do love bubbly. Just picked up a couple bottles of the Mumm's Cuvée M today because it was on sale.
Right after the holidays is still pretty crazy hereabouts, and we're already committed to Chicago on 1/24. We're also hosting a little Super Bowl party, so 2/7 is the first date that would be realistic for us. If that's too long to wait, we'll just look for the next one.
I just happened to think, since we'll be driving, I could bring the amazing Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, if there's the right wine combo. Bubbly would do, or a big red. I'll put it in the memory file for future consideration.

Big reds I gots! You're talking to a bonafide PSadawan here

So then let's start talking dates. I'm ok with waiting until February, since it is still pretty crazy just after the holidays, and I, too, (and oppsie) am committed to Chicago for 1/24. And maybe Zoomba77? Perhaps? I'm off on 2/20 - 2/23 for Dark & Delicious in CA...

Date voting time!

2/7
2/28
3/7
3/14

Who can make it? Who can't? Who wants what?

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

[quote postid="2691852" user="ddeuddeg"] clipped " We're also hosting a little Super Bowl party, so 2/7 is the first date that would be realistic for us."

I just love when he tells me things . . . The fact is: we haven't seen much of each other this week. : (

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

Sooo... dates.... don't make me come around with a thwacky stick...

Okay, okay, so it's like MONTHS off... Yeah yeah. You know I'm a planner. Can't help it.

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Sooo... dates.... don't make me come around with a thwacky stick...

Okay, okay, so it's like MONTHS off... Yeah yeah. You know I'm a planner. Can't help it.

I will wait and see what everyone else thinks and plan accordingly. February shouldn't be bad work wise, but who knows with weather.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:I will wait and see what everyone else thinks and plan accordingly. February shouldn't be bad work wise, but who knows with weather.

Weather shouldn't be too bad. I predict we're going to get hit early on in the winter rather than later, and February will just be residual snow. That is my inexpert prediction.

ddeuddeg

Time to bump this up and get the Detroiters off the dime on picking a date. Let's move bahwm and me from the maybe list to the attendees list, and settle on March 7 (I just found out bahwm has a regional WNYFLEC conference on 2/28). I can be flexible on that date, but with T-byrd already posting a would-be SoCal #6, DTW could fall dangerously far behind. Once this one is decided, I can start getting serious about planning the first Western NY wine.woot tasting for some time in the Spring. Let's go, Detroiters!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Time to bump this up and get the Detroiters off the dime on picking a date. Let's move bahwm and me from the maybe list to the attendees list, and settle on March 7 (I just found out bahwm has a regional WNYFLEC conference on 2/28). I can be flexible on that date, but with T-byrd already posting a would-be SoCal #6, DTW could fall dangerously far behind. Once this one is decided, I can start getting serious about planning the first Western NY wine.woot tasting for some time in the Spring. Let's go, Detroiters!

March is so far away!!! But, I can agree to that. I'll go rally the troops and pull out the thwacky stick and get people to start answering. What we may end up doing is settling for the Sushi Battle a little earlier and then make #5 be March 7th. If we do that way, maybe we can do a theme on something like ice wines in honor of your visit and compare a few Niagara and Finger Lakes regions ice wines with the Michigan ones. or something

Zoomba77

I agree, March is too far out for our next event. Sushi must happen sooner! I like the early February date the most.

#5 on March 7th & ice wines sounds good. We're almost making these a monthly event

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:I agree, March is too far out for our next event. Sushi must happen sooner! I like the early February date the most.

#5 on March 7th & ice wines sounds good. We're almost making these a monthly event

Have you SEEN the NoVA/DC tastings? They're making it a semi-monthly thing these days

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Have you SEEN the NoVA/DC tastings? They're making it a semi-monthly thing these days

You're not trying to get rid of me on the bubbly get-together now, are you? February 7 is do-able for us. I was just trying to get something moving, and it looks like that's starting to happen. I don't know if it's practical to drive to Detroit as often as monthly with everything else on our schedule, but we'll see. I do like that icewine idea.
So, bottom line, we're aiming for sushi and bubbly on February 7? I'll pencil it in.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:You're not trying to get rid of me on the bubbly get-together now, are you? February 7 is do-able for us. I was just trying to get something moving, and it looks like that's starting to happen. I don't know if it's practical to drive to Detroit as often as monthly with everything else on our schedule, but we'll see. I do like that icewine idea.
So, bottom line, we're aiming for sushi and bubbly on February 7? I'll pencil it in.

I'm setting it then

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:I'm setting it then

And I'm now listed as an attendee!! Hooray!

cheron98

Look! Sparklies! IT'S A SIGN!!!

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Hello fellow "D" wooters. I'm a long time woot memeber and usually look at the wine.woot offers but have only purchased a few along the way, but like wine and I'm always looking to expand my palate. I normally don't read the forum on this site too often unless its something that I'm interesed in.

In looking at the comments i was pleasanty surprized to see Detroit gtherings. Cheron98 where in the area do you live, how to your gatherings normally work, do you only dink Woot wine offerings or do you expand it to other wines, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

cheron98

jwink wrote:Hello fellow "D" wooters. I'm a long time woot memeber and usually look at the wine.woot offers but have only purchased a few along the way, but like wine and I'm always looking to expand my palate. I normally don't read the forum on this site too often unless its something that I'm interesed in.

In looking at the comments i was pleasanty surprized to see Detroit gtherings. Cheron98 where in the area do you live, how to your gatherings normally work, do you only dink Woot wine offerings or do you expand it to other wines, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

I'm in the Northville area, which is where we typically meet up. There tends to be a heavy favoritism towards woot wines at the gatherings, but we do welcome and encourage non-woot wines as well, and often have a decent sampling of stuff.

We'd be super happy to have you come join us for these things! And we're starting to get non-Detroiters to wander their ways out here to join us - like tommy & ddeudeg & bahwm And one of these days I'll convince Loweeel & TMR & Sparky & others to get their butts out here too.

It's totally casual. We're all a bunch of goofs, and all fairly newbie to wines, so a lot of the comments end up being things like "I like this" or "I hate this" or "it tastes like red." The more the merrier!

jwink

cheron98 wrote:I'm in the Northville area, which is where we typically meet up. There tends to be a heavy favoritism towards woot wines at the gatherings, but we do welcome and encourage non-woot wines as well, and often have a decent sampling of stuff.

We'd be super happy to have you come join us for these things! And we're starting to get non-Detroiters to wander their ways out here to join us - like tommy & ddeudeg & bahwm And one of these days I'll convince Loweeel & TMR & Sparky & others to get their butts out here too.

It's totally casual. We're all a bunch of goofs, and all fairly newbie to wines, so a lot of the comments end up being things like "I like this" or "I hate this" or "it tastes like red." The more the merrier!

llo I have no idea who those wooters are; guess I need to read the forum a little more. I'm in Bloomfield just up the road from Noble and love their sushi, so if i ever get the house cleaned up, i'd get back into the entertaining world too. Maybe I'll PM you to get more of the details on how you all do things.

I also go to very afforadable wine tastings periodically, I can give you more details but not in a public forum. The next on I know for sure is in the spring.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

oppsie

jwink wrote:llo I have no idea who those wooters are; guess I need to read the forum a little more. I'm in Bloomfield just up the road from Noble and love their sushi, so if i ever get the house cleaned up, i'd get back into the entertaining world too. Maybe I'll PM you to get more of the details on how you all do things.

I also go to very afforadable wine tastings periodically, I can give you more details but not in a public forum. The next on I know for sure is in the spring.

Poor cheron has not been to Noble (or Detroit proper for that matter...). But I will bring it to her for the sushi battle, although it's never as good as eating in the store.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Poor cheron has not been to Noble (or Detroit proper for that matter...). But I will bring it to her for the sushi battle, although it's never as good as eating in the store.

Yes, poor cheron has not been to Detroit proper. She likes to stay alive

So I think we're settling on Noble for providing the sushi. Do you want us to take up a collection or something or ... something ...? Or shall we just wait a little while longer since, well, it's only November

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Yes, poor cheron has not been to Detroit proper. She likes to stay alive

In that case forget moving to NoVA, head straight to celebration isle! Disney will take good care of you.

cheron98 wrote:
So I think we're settling on Noble for providing the sushi. Do you want us to take up a collection or something or ... something ...? Or shall we just wait a little while longer since, well, it's only November

Yes, we will need a collection that can be paid to me at the event. I'm thinking $15-20/person so that we can get a good amount of food for everyone and not just the standard party tray salmon-tuna-fluke. But that may change a bit depending on what it prices out at, I'll try to figure that out in the next month.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Yes, we will need a collection that can be paid to me at the event. I'm thinking $15-20/person so that we can get a good amount of food for everyone and not just the standard party tray salmon-tuna-fluke. But that may change a bit depending on what it prices out at, I'll try to figure that out in the next month.

Got it. Updated first post.

jwink

oppsie wrote:Yes, we will need a collection that can be paid to me at the event. I'm thinking $15-20/person so that we can get a good amount of food for everyone and not just the standard party tray salmon-tuna-fluke. But that may change a bit depending on what it prices out at, I'll try to figure that out in the next month.

If you really want to be brave buy the fish in filets and get some sushi rice and assemble it yourself...nigri is very easy to do as a "do it yourselfer" it takes practice to get the rolls to come out right with the amout of rice and fish inside. Only at Noble can you do it like that....

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away