cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

In the style of GV, we're going to do a palate training/flavor profile training day. We'll gather together a collection of the stuff typically found in wines, and just taste til we're sick. I'll provide spit buckets so that whatever offends you can be easily removed. I'd like to try finding one or two wine flavor profiles to try to "match" with the constituent parts (like for a CS - get together blackberry, cinnamon, dark chocolate, black pepper, and red currant, and see if we can make it taste kind of like the wine when the palate is assaulted).

This will NOT be open to non-wooters, so there may be a smallish group of us. HOWEVER, if you're from out-of-area and you would like to come share in the fun, just let us know and you're welcome to come!

Attendees

1. cheron98
  2. oppsie + 1
  3. Zoomba77
  4. cyborgdo11
  5. borisgoodenough
  6. woopdedoo

Regrets
  1. tommythecat78
  2. lizziemae7 + 1

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:In the style of GV, we're going to do a palate training/flavor profile training day. We'll gather together a collection of the stuff typically found in wines, and just taste til we're sick. I'll provide spit buckets so that whatever offends you can be easily removed. I'd like to try finding one or two wine flavor profiles to try to "match" with the constituent parts (like for a CS - get together blackberry, cinnamon, dark chocolate, black pepper, and red currant, and see if we can make it taste kind of like the wine when the palate is assaulted).

This will NOT be open to non-wooters, so there may be a smallish group of us. HOWEVER, if you're from out-of-area and you would like to come share in the fun, just let us know and you're welcome to come!

Attendees
  1. cheron98
  2. oppsie
  3. Zoomba77

Maybes
  1. tommythecat78

DH also.

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

Please let me know if there's anything I can bring. Don't want you spending all your money on us again ;)

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Please let me know if there's anything I can bring. Don't want you spending all your money on us again ;)

Woot's already claimed 75% of my paycheck Lifetime fitness has the other 25%.

Tho it might be closer to 50-50... Anyways, it might be easiest to do a money collect and then I just go shopping and pick everything up. So I might just do that.

cheron98

Just thought it was getting lost down in the muddle, so I'm just bringing it back up

How do we want to do the foodstuffs, everybody bring stuff or just bring money and I'll get it all? It's up to you guys.

Along with the stuff in the video, I think I'm also going to get some pigs-in-a-blanket and strawberry fruit roll-ups. Because after starting to read his book, and seeing that as a 'this is what this wine tastes like' thing, I just have to know. I'm also wandering through the book to find his other 'palate training' notes in there and will attempt to incorporate as much as possible.

Let's see if we can get ourselves sick!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

My attendance is more than likely not going to happen. Mostly because cheron is the antichrist...just kidding. July is the busiest month of the year for me at work, and I will likely be either working overtime or on call. I would say count me out mostly because I wouldn't know until a day or two beforehand, which would make it a real pain to plan on really short notice. Really vacuums cuz I was planning to steal any really good ideas from you while telling everyone they were my own...muahahahaha!! Again, just kidding...or am I?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:My attendance is more than likely not going to happen. Mostly because cheron is the antichrist...just kidding. July is the busiest month of the year for me at work, and I will likely be either working overtime or on call. I would say count me out mostly because I wouldn't know until a day or two beforehand, which would make it a real pain to plan on really short notice. Really vacuums cuz I was planning to steal any really good ideas from you while telling everyone they were my own...muahahahaha!! Again, just kidding...or am I?

Quit stealin' my ideas or I ain't comin to yers! And then you get no KRPS. Muahaha!

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Just thought it was getting lost down in the muddle, so I'm just bringing it back up

How do we want to do the foodstuffs, everybody bring stuff or just bring money and I'll get it all? It's up to you guys.

Along with the stuff in the video, I think I'm also going to get some pigs-in-a-blanket and strawberry fruit roll-ups. Because after starting to read his book, and seeing that as a 'this is what this wine tastes like' thing, I just have to know. I'm also wandering through the book to find his other 'palate training' notes in there and will attempt to incorporate as much as possible.

Let's see if we can get ourselves sick!

I could potentially make pigs in a blanket and bring them (bake them at your place). I use a cream cheese dough and will track down kosher minifranks. Let me know how that sounds.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I could potentially make pigs in a blanket and bring them (bake them at your place). I use a cream cheese dough and will track down kosher minifranks. Let me know how that sounds.

That sounds wonderful!

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:That sounds wonderful!

Okay. How many do you think we need?

cheron98

oppsie wrote:Okay. How many do you think we need?

Not many, looks like there's only going to be like 3 or 4 of us. Since tom canceled. *sniffles*

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Not many, looks like there's only going to be like 3 or 4 of us. Since tom canceled. *sniffles*

weak. We need to recruit more adherents. You and I cannot possibly be the only DTWers on w.w -- or maybe we're the only ones that read the boards. Sadders!

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Quit stealin' my ideas or I ain't comin to yers! And then you get no KRPS. Muahaha!

Wow...thats a pretty hardcore trump card there. Withholding wine...thats just mean, just mean.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

oppsie wrote:weak. We need to recruit more adherents. You and I cannot possibly be the only DTWers on w.w -- or maybe we're the only ones that read the boards. Sadders!

Yeah I know. Who was that one over on the main thread that you asked an intersection on? Get a response? Someone in the area?

Oh! Sweet! Liz qualifies, she DOES have a woot account! Muahaha!

(I was about to say that I need to go push my friends here into getting their butts on woot so I can officially call them wooters for when these things get limited to wooters)

tommythecat78 wrote:Wow...thats a pretty hardcore trump card there. Withholding wine...thats just mean, just mean.

Hey, if you've got the cards, play 'em!

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote: Hey, if you've got the cards, play 'em!

Touché

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Who was that one over on the main thread that you asked an intersection on?

Somebody in nyc. Although I'd like to know if my guess was right, based on the pieces of information offered.

cheron98

Sad, Liz can't make it as she has prior appointments that day. Blah.

We need more Michiganders. Seriously.

Zoomba77

cheron98 wrote:Sad, Liz can't make it as she has prior appointments that day. Blah.

I'm going to work on getting Elisa to sign up. And I think we may have begun the conversion process for John with the winery visit last week.

It's a slow process, but it's happening ;)

lizziemae7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizziemae7
cheron98 wrote:Sad, Liz can't make it as she has prior appointments that day. Blah.

*giggles*... I don't get on here near enough apparently.

The other plans are the first birthday party of the baby I nanny for . I'd love to do a palate training sometime... just not during Bella's Bee Party!

cyborgdo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyborgdo11

I'd be up for it but i have tickets to Wicked. (This is Elisa btw)

Zoomba77

Next time maybe... but now we have you in our clutches!

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Next time maybe... but now we have you in our clutches!

*coughs* Besides, this is just the palate training. There's still the DTW #2!

cheron98

Would another weekend work better to get more people to come out for this? 12th or 26th? 12th might be cutting it close at this point... but I also just realized that my workout class has its last day on the 19th and I can't really just 'skip' it to do prep work for this. 26th might be better all around...

What say ye?

cyborgdo11

cheron98 wrote:Would another weekend work better to get more people to come out for this? 12th or 26th? 12th might be cutting it close at this point... but I also just realized that my workout class has its last day on the 19th and I can't really just 'skip' it to do prep work for this. 26th might be better all around...

What say ye?

12th or 26th would work since i assume this would be afternoon and i would be done with work by 2pm.

oppsie

cyborgdo11 wrote:12th or 26th would work since i assume this would be afternoon and i would be done with work by 2pm.

either is fine for me.

Zoomba77

26th is probably best for me.

cheron98

26th it is. And since that's only a few weeks away, let's get together a list of items to try out. Maybe we can just steal tommy's since it's so nice and neat and organized. How do we want to handle item gathering? People bring stuff, or I go get it and we take up a collection? I've already obtained red currant jelly and blueberry preserves. I have a good number of herbs and spices. But let's get a list going...

cyborgdo11

cheron98 wrote:26th it is. And since that's only a few weeks away, let's get together a list of items to try out. Maybe we can just steal tommy's since it's so nice and neat and organized. How do we want to handle item gathering? People bring stuff, or I go get it and we take up a collection? I've already obtained red currant jelly and blueberry preserves. I have a good number of herbs and spices. But let's get a list going...

I'd be more than happy to bring something. Just let me know what.

cheron98

cyborgdo11 wrote:I'd be more than happy to bring something. Just let me know what.

I shall spend tomorrow evening going through the GV episode and the book to compile a list of items, and we can start "claiming" stuff to bring

Zoomba77

Where's that list?

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:Where's that list?

I know, I know, I'm a slacker. Been busy. I blame you, partially

cheron98

Stealing TommyCat's list and modifying for us. Because he stole my idea. And now it looks like they're not having theirs. Slackers!

There will probably be about 7 of us, if Liz & John are able to make it. WD, I believe, is supplying us with something as of yet undisclosed. If we don't get ALL of the items on the list, it's not a big deal. But these are some of the things we should attain to get. If we don't get them all this time, we can pick up the others at a later time. Start claiming stuff so no one brings duplicates!

The most interesting stuff to being would be something you've NEVER had before, or have had so rarely that you just can't place the flavor.

Fruit - GV recommends Jams or Preserves for these as the flavors are most concentrated that way, but fresh is fine if a jam or preserve cannot be found:
Apple (several varieties - fresh fruit, not jams for this one)
Apricot
Blackberry
Cherry (several varieties if possible, again fresh, not jam)
Black Currant
Dates
Fig
Grapefruit
Grape (several varieties)
Kiwi
Lemon
Lime
Mango
Melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, water)
Nectarine
Orange
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple (canned is fine)
Plum
Pomegranate
Prunes
Red Raspberry
Black Raspberry
Strawberry
Tangerine
Star fruit
Blueberry (I have already)
Red Currant (I have)

Vegetable:
Asparagus
Broccoli
Carrot
Celery
Cucumber
Lettuce (several varieties)
Pepper (several varieties of varying spiciness)
'Shrooms (several varieties)

Spices/Herbs (get fresh for herbs):
White Pepper
Mint
Rosemary
Thyme
Vanilla Beans
Fresh Ginger
Cloves
Anise
Black Pepper (I have)
Cinnamon (I have)
Salt (Sea, Kosher, Table) (I have them all)
Vanilla Extract (I have)
Saffron (I have)
Nutmeg (oppsie)

Candy/Snack Food:
Chocolate (milk, white, and dark)
Jolly Rancher (several flavors)
Licorice (red, black & vine/twizzlers)
Now and Later
Skittles
Tootsie Rolls
Sour Patch Kids
Fruit Rollups/Fruit Leather (several flavors, but especially strawberry)
Raisinets
Graham Cracker (I have)

Other:
Oak woodchips
Cedar woodchips
Tobacco (cigar and pipe)
Coffee (whole bean)
Leather
Rocks (clean, please)
Dirt (dirty, please)
Pigs-in-a-Blanket (oppsie is bringing)
Honey (I have)
Butter (I have)

lizziemae7

cheron98 wrote:Stealing TommyCat's list and modifying for us. Because he stole my idea. And now it looks like they're not having theirs. Slackers!

There will probably be about 7 of us, if Liz & John are able to make it. (Snipped long and informative list so I don't take up the entire thread)

John and I will not be able to make it-- I have Bella's 1st bday party on Sunday and he either has family stuff for his moms bday or will be here with me (Yay!! I don't have to do hours of driving finally!!)

But I will keep this list in mind when I get wine for the weekend .

lizziemae7

Oops-- forgot you changed the date-- I can't come anyway but not cause of Bella's bday. So yeah.... thats that.

borisgoodenough

quality posts: 4 Private Messages borisgoodenough

Do you guys accept interloping old f@rts from the Ann Arbor area?

cheron98

borisgoodenough wrote:Do you guys accept interloping old f@rts from the Ann Arbor area?

Absolutely! I shall send location information your way just as soon as you commit to coming

Start picking stuff, people! There's a list! See the list? Pick stuff!

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:Absolutely! I shall send location information your way just as soon as you commit to coming

Start picking stuff, people! There's a list! See the list? Pick stuff!

nutmeg?

cheron98

oppsie wrote:nutmeg?

bad oppsie! but if you want to bring it, go for it. I just won't have any of it. I am WELL aware of the smell and flavor of nutmeg

oppsie

cheron98 wrote:bad oppsie! but if you want to bring it, go for it. I just won't have any of it. I am WELL aware of the smell and flavor of nutmeg

I have whole nutmeg. I'll grate some the day of. Put me down for that.

cheron98

oppsie wrote:I have whole nutmeg. I'll grate some the day of. Put me down for that.

K. Anything else? There's a huge list and like 7 of us to cover it...