LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
InFrom wrote:
I think the idea is that this is what people typically say in order to get out of selling something that they have posted on eBay.

Yes, that was exactly my point. I think it is safe to assume it was not sold because the guy is trying to get more money for this. But I believe one of the ways to get out of an ebay deal is to say that it was sold by other means prior to the auction ending. And since there is no way to really track sales on either Craig's List or from selling by other means then there is really no way to prove it. The one thing you might have in your favor is an email record now showing that he doesnt want to give it up for just 1 dollar proving that he has it but doesnt want to give it to you anymore.

But as it was stated already, I think all ebay can do is just refund your dollar and then they deal with the seller. You may be out of luck because they probably cannot force the seller to give it to you. Hopefully if you start with all of this the seller will think it is more trouble then it is all worth and end up giving it to you for the dollar. Good luck.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
InFrom wrote:I hear a distant echo from first-year Contracts class.

I just got yelled at by SWMBO. She said that she said all of that stuff and that I never listen to her. Then she said something about how the court can only grant damage or compel something something. I wasn't really listening.

Sounds like your SOL unless this POS makes you an offer you find reasonable.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

I was trying to send this just to kylemittskus put woots server are acting dumb and wont let me send a PM... So i'll just post it all here for all the others that have ideas.

-------

Woot servers are being dumb..tried posting..tried pm'ing. Grrr.

MichaelWB

Ok...let me just say this. Since I cant post the messages for some reason. (and woot hasnt replied to my service request ticket).

Lets see if this works..

"I placed the cabinet on Ebay and just forgot about it until this morning. I started the bid with $1 hoping and expecting that it would sell for a reasonable price as I lost my job and need to liquidate some of my assets to help while I am in transition. I am sure you can imagine my disappointment when I realized the auction closed with $1 as the highest bid. I do realize that you are totally excited to get an excellent wine cabinet for $1, but I would like to evoke your sense of justice and fairness. I am willing to make a deal with you that would be more than fair, but not at $1.00. I would rather use the cabinet for fire wood than do that as that would make me feel like the biggest dunce ever existed."

MichaelWB

As far as filling a claim in ebay, court or anything...I might not have much luck due to this issue..I cant even pay for it yet because of him.

In all honesthy... I have already won this item and you are holding it for additional money.
What exactly do you feel is a "fair price" when the item was listed 10 days with no bid besides my own and you had previously listed on ebay before with noone buying it. I also am pretty sure I saw you advertise it on craigslist with no buyers. I have been watching several sites in the DFW area for a while now trying to find a Wine Cabinet

Received no further replies from him yesterday. I can't even pay the $1 yet due the fact it is asking for shipping costs which I can't put in a number (When I try it says

"Please enter the correct information for the following fields:

Shipping and handling - Some item(s) listed below do not have shipping fees specified by the seller(s)."

And it also wouldnt allow me to use a option for local pickup.

So I further more sent him a request from ebay for an invoice for total amount due. I added this note to that "Please send total for Pick-up. Total should equal final bid price of $1"

I would potential discuss paying more even though I should not have to as I really want this unit. But Im not sure if we are going to be able to meet on a fair price.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LSlipetz wrote:Yes, that was exactly my point. I think it is safe to assume it was not sold because the guy is trying to get more money for this. But I believe one of the ways to get out of an ebay deal is to say that it was sold by other means prior to the auction ending. And since there is no way to really track sales on either Craig's List or from selling by other means then there is really no way to prove it. The one thing you might have in your favor is an email record now showing that he doesnt want to give it up for just 1 dollar proving that he has it but doesnt want to give it to you anymore.

But as it was stated already, I think all ebay can do is just refund your dollar and then they deal with the seller. You may be out of luck because they probably cannot force the seller to give it to you. Hopefully if you start with all of this the seller will think it is more trouble then it is all worth and end up giving it to you for the dollar. Good luck.

There's also the rating system, which bad ratings can affect other potential buyers. So you can let him know that if he is trying to sell other items on eBay, that a bad rating can drive away potential buyers (would you buy from someone who reneges on the item?).

Best of luck ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MichaelWB

MarkDaSpark wrote:There's also the rating system, which bad ratings can affect other potential buyers. So you can let him know that if he is trying to sell other items on eBay, that a bad rating can drive away potential buyers (would you buy from someone who reneges on the item?).

Best of luck ....

Thanks Mark..but I doubt he cares as this was his first auction and thus no feedback of any kind.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MichaelWB wrote:Thanks Mark..but I doubt he cares as this was his first auction and thus no feedback of any kind.

It sounds very much like an ad designed to avoid paying eBay's seller's fees, finding buyers through the site and drawing them in with a low price, but then jacking up the price to keep the actual value of the sale offsite. I suspect it isn't really his first auction, just his first auction under this user name. (And for future reference, be especially skeptical of sellers with low feedback ratings.) I wouldn't trust much of what he says, including his claim that the fridge is working & recently refurbished. He sounds like a scammer.

Sorry this is turning out to be such a hassle for you. Having had a frustrating eBay experience myself, I feel your pain. I know it doesn't sit well to give up on this, but at a certain point you may decide not to spend more energy on this guy, report him to eBay and be done with him. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

InFrom

Oh, and another thing, in light of your comments about trying in vain to arrange local pickup: this, too has the potential to lead you down a lovely path of eBay annoyance or even dismay. The seller is not required to offer to let you pick it up, unless it was listed as an option in the auction listing. Don't remember if you stated how it was listed as to shipping method. If there's nothing written, then in theory the seller can select the delivery method of his preference, and at whatever cost (within reason). Just another thing to beware of in this business of dealing via eBay.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Ok , so I have moved my thread to here

My big girl fridge is 100 bottle and cost $350. Will start filling it up in a couple of days...

MichaelWB

So the human seller finally responded today after about 5 e-mails.
He said..

Dear Michael,

I had the minimum price set at $2,000.00 The cabinet cost me $5,500 and I thought it was a very fair market value. However, under the circumstances, I am willing to reduce $250.00 from the minimum price and offer you the cabinet for $1,750.

to which I replied....that no way was that happening..

"No that is not close to being acceptable.
I would only offer you 250 and thats being generous in my position considering i should remind you i won this item for one dollar. You are mistaken to say the minimum price was 2000 as it was one dollar and thats what it sold for to me. you had a buy it now price of 2350 until i placed a bid. I feel i must remind you that you also had this listed previously with a buy it now price of 2500 and noone bought it nor did anyone from your craiglist ad a month ago. I advise you to take my generous offer of 250 or I will be advising ebay of this illegal attempt to sell and contact the small claims court here locally."

mommadeb1

MichaelWB wrote:So the human seller finally responded today after about 5 e-mails.
He said..

Dear Michael,

I had the minimum price set at $2,000.00 The cabinet cost me $5,500 and I thought it was a very fair market value. However, under the circumstances, I am willing to reduce $250.00 from the minimum price and offer you the cabinet for $1,750.

to which I replied....that no way was that happening..

"No that is not close to being acceptable.
I would only offer you 250 and thats being generous in my position considering i should remind you i won this item for one dollar. You are mistaken to say the minimum price was 2000 as it was one dollar and thats what it sold for to me. you had a buy it now price of 2350 until i placed a bid. I feel i must remind you that you also had this listed previously with a buy it now price of 2500 and noone bought it nor did anyone from your craiglist ad a month ago. I advise you to take my generous offer of 250 or I will be advising ebay of this illegal attempt to sell and contact the small claims court here locally."

Good Luck!!!! I love your reply!!! I still can't believe he is backing out on this!! Don't give up!!

kylemittskus

MichaelWB wrote:I had the minimum price set at $2,000.00 The cabinet cost me $5,500 and I thought it was a very fair market value. However, under the circumstances, I am willing to reduce $250.00 from the minimum price and offer you the cabinet for $1,750.

Keeping in mind that I'm not an attorney, I wonder if he just nailed his own coffin shut. In order to win in court, you need to prove you suffered loss. Realistically, you lost $1, but didn't he just ascribe a value of the item you had a a contract to buy? And that value, placed by him, is well above a dollar,making whatever crazy number he came up with potential loss? Obviously, you couldn't say, "The cabinet is worth $3,000" because you directly benefit from whatever value you put on it. However, he valued it so he's agreeing that the contract he agreed to wed for something worth $2,000.

InFrom

kylemittskus wrote:Keeping in mind that I'm not an attorney...

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm married to one?

kylemittskus

InFrom wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I'm married to one?

Probably just as bad, huh?

InFrom

kylemittskus wrote:Probably just as bad, huh?

Well, in Kyle's case, possibly. However don't let my spousal equivalent hear that I'm sitting by without protest while lawyers' SO's in general are being dissed -- could be a cool evening at home, despite the scorching temps here in NYC!

edit Not sure why I answered you in the 3rd person. I'll chalk it up to the wimpy AC in the office today!

MichaelWB

I do wonder..if I can really do anything though as I haven't actually lost anything as of yet. I still can't pay the $1 because he won't input shipping charges that is needed for the transaction to be completed as I have requested over and over.

mommadeb1

MichaelWB wrote:I do wonder..if I can really do anything though as I haven't actually lost anything as of yet. I still can't pay the $1 because he won't input shipping charges that is needed for the transaction to be completed as I have requested over and over.

Just wondering how things are going? Did this ever get resolved?

MichaelWB

mommadeb1 wrote:Just wondering how things are going? Did this ever get resolved?

Nope..but I'm still not giving up.
I put my case into ebay resolution center almost a week ago. I now have the chance to escalate it to customer support if I choose.

I have saved copied of all listings and e-mails in dated pdfs and am looking into small claims court.

mommadeb1

MichaelWB wrote:Nope..but I'm still not giving up.
I put my case into ebay resolution center almost a week ago. I now have the chance to escalate it to customer support if I choose.

I have saved copied of all listings and e-mails in dated pdfs and am looking into small claims court.

keep us posted! I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Been searching the thread, but really haven't seen anything about a room cooling unit.

Got a friend asking for recommendations on a cooling unit for a small cellar (about 400 cu ft).

Brands/sites to stay away from? Anyone?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Ok, this is my B-day month and I overdid it on the last two woot-offs. Please tell me this is a reasonable unit at a not exorbitant price.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/clearanceoutlet/wine/wine/wine60260/CR++DWC166BLS_859242.shtml

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Ok, this is my B-day month and I overdid it on the last two woot-offs. Please tell me this is a reasonable unit at a not exorbitant price.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/clearanceoutlet/wine/wine/wine60260/CR++DWC166BLS_859242.shtml

That is a very nice cellar. However, it is IMHO, overpriced. I found 2 50 bottle coolers for $75 each on CL. Then, found a 500 bottle cooler for trade (one of the small 50 bottle coolers). The latter was a really lucky find. The 2 smaller coolers, not so rare. Even if you paid $200/50 bottle cooler, you could store the equal amount of wine for half the price. That might be a buy if you really want a single unit and not 2 (or 3) smaller units. However, you could probably (probably!) do better scouring CL. Keep us posted!

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson
rjquillin wrote:Ok, this is my B-day month and I overdid it on the last two woot-offs. Please tell me this is a reasonable unit at a not exorbitant price.

It's a built-in unit, not a stand alone. Are you going to install it yourself?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

fcherena

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fcherena
justinrsanderson wrote:It's a built-in unit, not a stand alone. Are you going to install it yourself?

I could be wrong, but I think these units can operate free-standing as well. Pretty nice unit, but still pricey IMHO.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Thanks all!

Been trolling CL for a couple of months now, and in San Diego I only have one quadrant to search, North-East. West is water and south is Mexico; limited geography, and LA is, well LA, and a lengthy drive and nothing east until Yuma. Pass.

At street prices I'd agree, too much $$$, but as a customer return for a minor ding it works out to $7.13/bottle taxed OTD. Yup two 50's @ $4/bottle would also work, quite well, but to find them. Much rather be spending on contents rather than the container. Gotta keep looking for more, as this is already filled and it's not even delivered yet...

This unit can be free standing or built in. It's going between a wall and a china cabinet so the sides won't be all that visible. Unit looks ok, gets cold and doesn't have any objectionable or worrisome noises, it has however a compressor and as such not as quiet as a TEC unit.

With my indulgences the past two woot-offs, and with temps nearing 100 out here, I just couldn't wait any longer.

CT

kylemittskus

Well then, congrats!

Now, what are you going to buy when you fill that one up?

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Time to revive this thread now that I have a new home with a cellar area that can fit a couple wine refrigerators. It is not so big and is about 5'8" high in the cellar. I was thinking possibly 2 of the 50 bottle Vissani's from Home Depot, but any other suggestions? Those of you who have the Vissani's, how do you like them? Any problems? Temperature remains consistent? Breakdowns?

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
time2testit wrote:Time to revive this thread now that I have a new home with a cellar area that can fit a couple wine refrigerators. It is not so big and is about 5'8" high in the cellar. I was thinking possibly 2 of the 50 bottle Vissani's from Home Depot, but any other suggestions? Those of you who have the Vissani's, how do you like them? Any problems? Temperature remains consistent? Breakdowns?

All I can say is buy them a lot bigger than you think you need....two 100's might be a good start.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jdhart306

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdhart306
time2testit wrote:Time to revive this thread now that I have a new home with a cellar area that can fit a couple wine refrigerators. It is not so big and is about 5'8" high in the cellar. I was thinking possibly 2 of the 50 bottle Vissani's from Home Depot, but any other suggestions? Those of you who have the Vissani's, how do you like them? Any problems? Temperature remains consistent? Breakdowns?

I've had the vissani for about four months now and haven't had any major problems with it. It seems to keep a fairly constant temperature. If you want to fit 50 bottles in it you won't be able to access a large portion of the bottles without moving a bunch ofmthem around. I keep the bottles that I'm going to drink soon in the bottom compartment for easier reach. The only other thing that might be a problem is that there isn a loud crack at the beginning or end of each cycle ( I haven't really looked in to it too much yet as the temperature remains constant and I don't care about the noise). I would also agree with everyone else that you may want a bigger fridge... I just bought another 100 bottle from craigslist.

kylemittskus

Bigger!!!

ericclem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ericclem

I bought my Vissani about January or so and no complaints whatsoever so far. I keep it in a washer/dryer closet so I don't hear it at all, though were it out in the open, I probably would. It's not the most quiet fridge as it's a compressor. It does hold temperature pretty consistently. Also, I'm not sure how I did it, but right now I have about 56 bottles in there.

time2testit

tytiger58 wrote:All I can say is buy them a lot bigger than you think you need....two 100's might be a good start.

I bought the Vissani but haven't plugged it in (just took it out of the box). Bigger would definitely be better but I can't find anything good on Craigslist in LA.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/app/2667953537.html

yay or nay?

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

kylemittskus

beefytaco wrote:http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/app/2667953537.html

yay or nay?

IMO, nay.

beefytaco

kylemittskus wrote:IMO, nay.

Dang it Kyle!
I have fall shipments coming out of my ears, I need to upgrade, and there are no bargains in NYC. It also doesn't help that I have no car.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

kylemittskus

beefytaco wrote:Dang it Kyle!
I have fall shipments coming out of my ears, I need to upgrade, and there are no bargains in NYC. It also doesn't help that I have no car.

It's not a bad unit or anything; I just think it's a bit expensive.

time2testit

It would be VERY helpful I think for those who have coolers (and especially those who have bought them from Craigslist and the like) to list the actual brand and model and the price they paid so we can get an idea of what is "good" and realistic, and a short review of the unit once they have it up and running. Thanks!

beefytaco

kylemittskus wrote:It's not a bad unit or anything; I just think it's a bit expensive.

I've been scouting CL for a few months, and all 75+ bottle coolers <$500 are several years old. This one a "new" floor model.

Gah - decisions.

___

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
time2testit wrote:It would be VERY helpful I think for those who have coolers (and especially those who have bought them from Craigslist and the like) to list the actual brand and model and the price they paid so we can get an idea of what is "good" and realistic, and a short review of the unit once they have it up and running. Thanks!

Make: EdgeStar
Model: TWR282S
Rated Capacity: 28 bottles
True capacity: 28 bottles
Store: compactappliance.com
Cost: Just under $200 shipped

Review: I have had this for about a year now. It is a thermo-electric type. It does hold the rated number of bottles. When some bottles are excessively wide I just take out the bottom shelf and the space allows for larger bottles by allowing them to nest somewhat without sacrificing count.

The one lack I can see for long-term cellaring is that the temperature is not controlled to a certain number, rather there is a higher/lower dial inside which controls the cooling. This may mean that the flux rather than the temperature is controlled which will result in slightly higher temperature swings.

I personally use this one not for long term storage but rather for the short term. I have a wine locker for the other 10 cases I own. ($14/month)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar