CONDITION: Smooth
PRODUCT: 1 Vella Dry Monterey Jack Cheese, approximately 2 pounds

Website

Previous offer:
12/1/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Great. One of 3 items on my definite to buy list..

Two to go:
- Brandini
- TyTanium

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

100+ wine woots and my first first sucker!

This stuff is delicious, in for two.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin

Good stuff. Great with salami & olives.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mschauber wrote:Great. One of 3 items on my definite to buy list..

Two to go:
- Brandini
- TyTanium

Cathedral wouldn't be on that list too?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon

10 bucks a pound... im new to this..cheese...thing...is this a good deal? How does this compare to stuff I can get at a nice deli shop?

I once ate a cricket.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Cheeeeeese, Gromit!

Shmelissak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shmelissak

Bought this in a previous offering - it lasted a long time and everyone that tried it said it was one of their all time favorite cheeses. In for 1 again!

For those wondering - I just kept it in a plastic bag in the cheese drawer in the fridge. Tried to press out the air when I sealed it up and was able to eat it all.

North316

waacodemon wrote:10 bucks a pound... im new to this..cheese...thing...is this a good deal? How does this compare to stuff I can get at a nice deli shop?

Equal in quality, lower in cost.

My CT

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant
Shmelissak wrote:Bought this in a previous offering - it lasted a long time and everyone that tried it said it was one of their all time favorite cheeses. In for 1 again!

For those wondering - I just kept it in a plastic bag in the cheese drawer in the fridge. Tried to press out the air when I sealed it up and was able to eat it all.

sometimes drier cheeses don't melt very well--does this one? i LOVE monterey jack but haven't tried this kind yet...

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

maninblack

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maninblack

Really good cheese. If I didn't still have close to four pounds in the fridge from two previous Woots, I'd buy more.

spinage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spinage

Been waiting for this...I'm in for 2! So Delicious.

posuprstar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages posuprstar

Do we get that nice cutting board, too!?

Shmelissak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shmelissak
wootchawant wrote:sometimes drier cheeses don't melt very well--does this one? i LOVE monterey jack but haven't tried this kind yet...

Ya know - I don't think I ever tried to melt this one. Ate it mostly with crackers, fruit, and salami (and wine...obviously). Sorry!

Didimus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Didimus

Bought this at the last Woot-Off. I'm sad to say I have yet to bust into it yet but it looks good!

wootchawant

Shmelissak wrote:Ya know - I don't think I ever tried to melt this one. Ate it mostly with crackers, fruit, and salami (and wine...obviously). Sorry!

thanks for responding anyway. i think i might just have to buy it and see what it can do... <=D

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

cobraman61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61

Bought this last Wootoff.I had never had this cheese.Love it!!! best I have had in a long time.I still got 1/2 left,so I figure by the next Wootoff,they may have it again,then I will buy.I would buy it now,if I knew how it would hold up to freezer.

wootchawant

you've convinced me--i'm in for one! next time this comes around, i'll be able to tell you whether it's melty or not. <;)

beccabinder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beccabinder

It melts! Especially if you shred it first.

kerflampatree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerflampatree

Finally! I've been waiting for this to roll around.

baristaboss58

quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
Shmelissak wrote:Bought this in a previous offering - it lasted a long time and everyone that tried it said it was one of their all time favorite cheeses. In for 1 again!

I appreciate everyone's comments here. You all are helping me build my wine collection. Now for this cheese, am I right that the last offering was in December? That's a fantastic window. Next to wine, a great cheese ranks right up there. Web link won't open. Thanks all.

wootchawant

beccabinder wrote:It melts! Especially if you shred it first.

thank you for letting me know that! i love to make cheddar-jack nachos and smother homemade chili with big jack shreds, so this should be perfect.

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal
waacodemon wrote:10 bucks a pound... im new to this..cheese...thing...is this a good deal? How does this compare to stuff I can get at a nice deli shop?

I just paid $25 for a lb of Goat cheese with Truffles. I sure hope to hell it's good.
It was an early morning spree in Whole Foods and I actually forgot to look at the price. Should never do that at WF...

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

North316

baristaboss58 wrote:I appreciate everyone's comments here. You all are helping me build my wine collection. Now for this cheese, am I right that the last offering was in December? That's a fantastic window. Next to wine, a great cheese ranks right up there. Web link won't open. Thanks all.

Not sure why it matters, but the last offering was actually 3/20/12. This was during a woot-off, and therefore had no vendor participation, which is why December is listed as the previous offer in Cesare's post.

My CT

schro5150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schro5150

I just opened yesterday the block I got the last time this was up. Outstanding with some uncured fennel hard salami.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
North316 wrote:Cathedral wouldn't be on that list too?

Hah, you know me well. If it comes up, I doubt I'll turn it down, but with a case of '05 and 2 bottles of '06, I figure I can save my CC a little pain and limit my must buys to 3 items..

Unfortunately I'm not going to be near a computer for much of this woot.off, so just hoping I get lucky with my timing (if these items come up ;))

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

lilnursey84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lilnursey84

first time i've ordered cheese off of the internet, hope it arrives ok (in DE)

when life gives you lemons, squirt life in the eye!

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

Bought this cheese the first time it was offered and honestly i wasn't terribly impressed. It tasted fine but didn't really do much for me. I guess i was expecting it to have a flavor profile that was a bit more rich or bold, but that wasn't the case.

If you tend to like soft cheeses i suppose this is the cheese for you, even though it says it's Dry Monterey Jack the flavor is not that much different from the soft version.

Shift4g

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shift4g

I'm still "beasting" off the recent Mezzo Secco woot, and if that is anything to go by, this has to be amazing as well. I hope to stuff my face full of Vella samples when I head out to Sonoma on holiday.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

wootchawant

lilnursey84 wrote:first time i've ordered cheese off of the internet, hope it arrives ok (in DE)

as long as "DE" is for delaware and not germany, you should be fine. <;)

North316

mschauber wrote:Hah, you know me well. If it comes up, I doubt I'll turn it down, but with a case of '05 and 2 bottles of '06, I figure I can save my CC a little pain and limit my must buys to 3 items..

Unfortunately I'm not going to be near a computer for much of this woot.off, so just hoping I get lucky with my timing (if these items come up ;))

That's what phone's with woot Apps are for.

My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Paired this with some '06 Kent Rasmussen Late Harvest Viognier last week and it was.... sublime.

beccabinder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beccabinder
wootchawant wrote:thank you for letting me know that! i love to make cheddar-jack nachos and smother homemade chili with big jack shreds, so this should be perfect.

You will love it. It melts better than the Dry jack cheese they offered on the last woot off.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
chipgreen wrote:Paired this with some '06 Kent Rasmussen Late Harvest Viognier last week and it was.... sublime.

I still have some of both - I'm going to have to try that pairing!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

gertiestn

quality posts: 57 Private Messages gertiestn

I can't believe it! I bought some of this cheese in a Woot-off months ago, and I've been trying to get more ever since. Best cheese I've run across in ages. Get more than you think you'll want.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
cobraman61 wrote:Bought this last Wootoff.I had never had this cheese.Love it!!! best I have had in a long time.I still got 1/2 left,so I figure by the next Wootoff,they may have it again,then I will buy.I would buy it now,if I knew how it would hold up to freezer.

I was once told in a famous cheese shop in Pittsburgh that you can freeze cheese if you shredd it first and then would be able to use it in that manor when defrosted. Freezing changes the texture of the cheese. So if you can use it in its shredded form, you shoulld be OK

anoted

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anoted

There's no chance that a really lovely mild Iberico will come up any time soon is there?

Avoid being whole paychecked! It never ends well.

Also, anyone know where I can get I nice goat cheese with ash? TJ's carried it as a "spotlight cheese" and it was freakin incredible! Seriously. I created several cheese and cracker combos around it with lovely toppings. I'll give up the recipes and everything, just give me that cheese again. I haven't been able to enjoy a good chevre since. It's just not the same.

[EDIT:] I'm looking for a soft goat cheese. Should have made that clear earlier.
Man...woot offs really do keep me from doing anything productive all day.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

At 12.50/lb., there are lots and lots of intriguing cheeses at local markets, so I always sit these out.

Have at it, y'all!

Sablerose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sablerose

In for two. Recently finished the first wedge I got from Woot and it is absofrickinglutely amazing. Everyone who tried it was just in awe.