sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

One of my best friends just gave birth to a baby boy so I'm definitely going up to nyc soon to check out the baby... If the 23rd is set then I start looking for train tix....

Just saying....

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Ok so it looks like we are pretty split for the 16th and 23rd. If we can get everyone to confirm which one is better, especially the unknowns then it will help decide. I will send out some emails.
If enough people want to do it this Saturday we are ready and the weather looks good.

mikegberg 16
darlenee 23
hak 16 or 23
infrom 16
Itwdswafo 16
rpm 23
ratnikov 16?
ibyron 23
sukeiasa 23
fishzine 23?

beefytaco ?
mschauber ?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov

Seems like this weekend (16th) is a miss for me because of http://jetlagfestival.com/index.php/en/ and I hope to be out of the country on the 23rd.

However, if my plans do change, I promise to make a surprise appearance. How is that?

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
ratnikov wrote:Seems like this weekend (16th) is a miss for me because of http://jetlagfestival.com/index.php/en/ and I hope to be out of the country on the 23rd.

However, if my plans do change, I promise to make a surprise appearance. How is that?

That festival looks wild! "Ancient Slavic Kurt Vonnegut and Zappa inspired wpsychedelia from 21 Cent A.D."? Have fun!

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
Cesare wrote:Ok so it looks like we are pretty split for the 16th and 23rd. If we can get everyone to confirm which one is better, especially the unknowns then it will help decide. I will send out some emails.
If enough people want to do it this Saturday we are ready and the weather looks good.
infrom 16

If you're deciding by counting noses -- I would not want to be responsible for tipping the balance to the 16th, and then end up flaking out on the party. We currently are in our mad, "I may need another pair of shoes before we go", pre-trip phase, and anything's possible. I'd better keep Saturday flexible.

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
Cesare wrote:Ok so it looks like we are pretty split for the 16th and 23rd. If we can get everyone to confirm which one is better, especially the unknowns then it will help decide. I will send out some emails.

mikegberg 16
darlenee 23
hak 16 or 23
infrom 16
Itwdswafo 16
rpm 23
ratnikov 16?
ibyron 23
sukeiasa 23
fishzine 23?

beefytaco ?
mschauber ?

I'm working in Queens the weekend of the 16th, so if it's an afternoon event I'll swing by myself. If it's in the evening, we'll both come.

If it's the 23rd, we're out of town, so enjoy, and we'll catch up next time.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Since both dates are so close, perhaps we'd want to push it back to July?

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
iByron wrote:Since both dates are so close, perhaps we'd want to push it back to July?

iByron

Well I think we could still probably pull off doing one on the 23rd (which is now my preference) and then schedule another one for early August. This way the handful of people who would miss the 23rd, should be able to make the next one which would only be about a month and a half away.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

The 23rd would be easier for me, but I'll try to make either date.

mikegberg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well I think we could still probably pull off doing one on the 23rd (which is now my preference) and then schedule another one for early August. This way the handful of people who would miss the 23rd, should be able to make the next one which would only be about a month and a half away.

Hey, my birthday is in early August. And I like wine, so that works out well.

As someone who has to miss the 23rd, I like HAK's suggestion... we have no travel plans in August, so we can either attend or (possibly) host again.

Cesare

Sept is probably better for the next one. Too many people are away in August and it wouldn't be worth it. As for this one I guess it's looking like the 23rd.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Cesare wrote:Sept is probably better for the next one. Too many people are away in August and it wouldn't be worth it. As for this one I guess it's looking like the 23rd.

I'm tentatively out of town for the 23 but will try to make it!

signed.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

40% in for the 23rd? We've got friends in town that night, and I'm probably obligated to hang out with 'em.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Cesare

beefytaco wrote:40% in for the 23rd? We've got friends in town that night, and I'm probably obligated to hang out with 'em.

We will try to start early enough so everyone can come by.

Just got a special package from the powers that be. Very cool.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

HitAnyKey42

Btw, everyone take a look at the first page and if you are on the Maybe list put up a post confirming if you'll be attending or not so that Cesare has a semi-accurate count.
I see he also made it a nice generic theme. So basically another "bring whatever" for wines.

Cesare, are you thinking of maybe trying to make this another afternoon type thing like we did a couple years ago with us doing the tasting in your yard and maybe some BBQing? If it turns out to be a nice day, that might be a cool idea.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
Cesare wrote:We will try to start early enough so everyone can come by.

Just got a special package from the powers that be. Very cool.

Got your email. I'm in, Steve is a maybe. mother, want to carpool? I can meet you in New Haven or a commuter lot somewhere along 95.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

mikegberg

Cesare wrote:Just got a special package from the powers that be. Very cool.

Son of a...

Did you alert them to this tasting or did they pick up on it on their own?

Either way, someone owes me some crap.

Cesare

HitAnyKey42 wrote:
Cesare, are you thinking of maybe trying to make this another afternoon type thing like we did a couple years ago with us doing the tasting in your yard and maybe some BBQing? If it turns out to be a nice day, that might be a cool idea.

Yes

darlenee1 wrote:Got your email. I'm in, Steve is a maybe.

Excellent

mikegberg wrote:Son of a...

Someone usually keeps track and then gets in touch. In this case it's a little different and not the usual... items. I can't say more than that.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Count me out... Brother is visiting next weekend and it's our 4th of July celebration. Really bummed, because now I want to see what's in that box!! There was no box at the last one

mikegberg

Itwdswafo wrote:There was no box at the last one

Yeah, I'm aware of that.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

Hey people.

What's involved with one of these tastings (other than the obvious: get together, taste wine, eat food, talk to each other)?

I guess what I'm asking is what would I need to bring if I were to join you, so that I don't feel like I'm not contributing something of value? (I'm a relative polliwog with wines and mostly a lurker here on wine.woot, so I don't even know if any of the wines I have would be worth bringing.)

Thanks.

--baqui63

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

95% sure I'll be there. Possibly with a +1. Will post definite RSVP early this weeks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

Will be back in NYC this coming weekend, but don't see having any time Saturday. Early Aug one would work good for me too, so will keep an eye out for the next one.
Enjoy!

mother

darlenee1 wrote:Got your email. I'm in, Steve is a maybe. mother, want to carpool? I can meet you in New Haven or a commuter lot somewhere along 95.

Sounds like a plan!

mikegberg wrote:Son of a...

Heh, yeah... They're really bad about sending them to all but a core 2-3 ppl.

HitAnyKey42

darlene/mother, Can I send you guys back with PB's CyberPub wine? I'm sure one of you can get it delivered to him before I'll be able to see him.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

sadface

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

HitAnyKey42 wrote:darlene/mother, Can I send you guys back with PB's CyberPub wine? I'm sure one of you can get it delivered to him before I'll be able to see him.

Sure.

Cesare

baqui63 wrote:Hey people.

What's involved with one of these tastings (other than the obvious: get together, taste wine, eat food, talk to each other)?

I guess what I'm asking is what would I need to bring if I were to join you, so that I don't feel like I'm not contributing something of value? (I'm a relative polliwog with wines and mostly a lurker here on wine.woot, so I don't even know if any of the wines I have would be worth bringing.)

Thanks.

--baqui63

Newcomers welcome! Don't worry too much about what to bring. Usually we come up with a more concrete theme for the wines, but even if you don't have something applicable a food item is fine.
I will send you a private message.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
Cesare wrote:Newcomers welcome! Don't worry too much about what to bring. Usually we come up with a more concrete theme for the wines, but even if you don't have something applicable a food item is fine.
I will send you a private message.

Cesare, do you have a time yet? Need the specifics in order to see if my +1 can make it.

Thanks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

Cesare

mschauber wrote:Cesare, do you have a time yet? Need the specifics in order to see if my +1 can make it.

Thanks.

We haven't decided yet. Weather looks like it will be nice, low 80s and sunny. We can hang out in the yard, I'll throw a london broil on the grill and slice that up, kt will make a pesto pasta salad.
How about 2pm until ?
Anyone that can't come that early can just come by later. We will save some wine! (Maybe :P)
Or we can push the time up to 3, 4, whatever.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

Cesare

We should start deciding what wines to bring. I'm thinking red fruit bombs would be cool. Zin, PS, maybe Syrah, even certain blends.
Keep in mind I already have 3 bottles we must try plus possibly a 4th- I might find an old PS to open. So if you don't have an interesting wine, bring some food. I have no cheese or crackers or bread around.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

mother

Cesare wrote:So if you don't have an interesting wine, bring some food. I have no cheese or crackers or bread around.

You should definitely makes sure someone has directions to that Sicilian bakery? ;)

Maybe I should stop at Costco for some more of that fresh copper river salmon and pair that with a few Woot! cedar planks? With a sweet/hot glaze so it should handle a Zin (though if someone is bringing a non woot cellars Riesling, Gewurtz, etc., that would work better).

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
mother wrote:You should definitely makes sure someone has directions to that Sicilian bakery? ;)

If you take the Throgs Neck it could be seen as on the way to us.

Salmon could be great with the Zin.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Itwdswafo

Cesare wrote:
How about 2pm until ?

Wait.... you're thinking of doing a lunch thing? If it's earlier rather than later, I *might* be able to make it with a +1.... just depends on the timing. I just need to be back up here around 9ish.

Edit: Looks like I would have to leave around 5pm-ish with timing on trains. I'll have to confirm with my +1

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Earlyish works for me. Carolina Chocolate Drops are playing the New Haven green that evening, I'm hoping to catch them! I will bring something desserty to eat, and see what I have that we may want to drink! mother, I'll be in touch on where we can meet up!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

Cesare wrote:We should start deciding what wines to bring. I'm thinking red fruit bombs would be cool. Zin, PS, maybe Syrah, even certain blends.

Seeing as how I'm bringing a 2009 TyTanium that mschauber is buying from me, I'm thinking of bringing one of the 2006 TyTanium bottles from my cellar. Should be a perfect bbq wine.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Itwdswafo

Itwdswafo wrote:If it's earlier rather than later, I *might* be able to make it with a +1....

Alrighty! As long as it's early-ish (2 or before) I am confirmed with a +1 (my brother who's also a member here). See you Sat!

(Yes!!! I get to see what's in the box!!)

MJPeebs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MJPeebs

Hey there! This is Ifwdswaso's brother and I'm absolutely looking forward to this. I'll be bringing a friend, if that's okay. Hopefully will see you all in Queens this Saturday! =D I'll see what I have in my cellar that would match your (awesome) theme!

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

We'll be along a bit later, and I'm not sure what I'll bring -- something at least remotely interesting with BBQ....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Later will work for me. We're leaving Philly at 1 -- I work with high school kids in the morning -- and will be checking in to a hotel on the UWS. I'm thinking 3:30-4 pm traffic willing.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux