Special page for this offer

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp
Yelp 2

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

From their website:

Gård Vintners
2009 Altruism Riesling

A portion of proceeds donated to the National MS Society, Greater Washington Chapter

750 ml
$14/bottle
Released: March 2011
489 cases produced
2009 VINTAGE: "BEST BUY" & "RECOMMENDED" - WINE PRESS NORTHWEST, SPRING 2011
2008 VINTAGE: 90 POINTS - WINE ENTHUSIAST

Wine tasting notes:
The 2009 Altruism Riesling captures the essence of this picturesque vineyard setting: pure beauty. At 1,650 feet elevation, it provides a remarkable setting and wonderfully expressive fruit. Whole-cluster pressed and fermented in stainless steel, the wine is loaded with ripe melon, green apple candy, citrus and classic Riesling flavors. The sweet notes are delicate, and the 1.6% residual sugar is carefully balanced with natural acidity to provide a great food-friendly Riesling

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

Hmm. Slightly aged whites (especially the 2008.). How are they holding up?

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

mschauber

From their website:

Gård Vintners
2009 Altruism Pinot Gris

A portion of proceeds donated to the National MS Society, Greater Washington Chapter

750 ml
$14/bottle
Released: November 2010
479 cases produced

Wine tasting notes:
This first release of stainless-steel fermented Pinot Gris showcases the expressive fruit and unique character of this high elevation vineyard. The wine opens with bright pear, tangerine, citrus and zesty lemon drops. This clean and refreshing gem balances the 0.8 residual sugar with natural acidity and a silky clean finish.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

From their website:

Gård Vintners
2008 Dry Riesling

750 ml
$18/bottle
Released: November 2010
252 cases produced

2008 VINTAGE: "EXCELLENT" - WINE PRESS NORTHWEST, MAY 2011
2007 VINTAGE: 90 - WINE ENTHUSIAST
2006 VINTAGE: "TOP 100 WINES OF THE NORTHWEST" - SEATTLE METROPOLITAN MAGAZINE

Wine tasting notes:
Continuing the artistic style of Gård Vintners, the 2008 Dry Riesling was whole-cluster pressed and fermented in neutral oak barrels. Aged 8 months sur lees, the wine is expressive of citrus, floral blossoms, ripe pear, green apple and honey. It's no wimpy Riesling with hints of gooseberry, wet stone minerality a textured mouthfeel, balanced acidity and a clean, crisp finish.

--
My CT

mschauber

From their website:

Gård Vintners
2009 Freyja

49% Roussanne/42% Riesling/9% Pinot Gris
750 ml
$11/bottle
Released: September 2010
200 cases produced

2009 VINTAGE: "OUTSTANDING" & "BEST BUY" - WINE PRESS NORTHWEST, AUGUST 2011

Wine tasting notes:
This unique blend from our estate, Lawrence Vineyards, of Roussanne, Riesling and Pinot Gris showcases the depth of this high-elevation vineyard. It features sweet perfume, citrus and floral notes, which lead the way to fresh melons and lush fruit flavors. Stainless-steel fermented, it is naturally balanced with bright acidity and subtle sweetness.

--
My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

wow $8.25 per bottle......seriously?

mschauber

@cesare
Here's the ct for the 2009 Altruism Riesling
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1341731

--
My CT

gardwine

quality posts: 12 Private Messages gardwine
nmachen wrote:Hmm. Slightly aged whites (especially the 2008.). How are they holding up?

These wines were made to hold up, and are in great shape. In fact, the 08 Dry Riesling was just featured in Tasting Room Magazine this spring

Lisa Lawrence/Gard Vintners

mschauber

gardwine wrote:These wines were made to hold up, and are in great shape. In fact, the 08 Dry Riesling was just featured in Tasting Room Magazine this spring

What's the drinking window for these 4 wines?

Thanks.

--
My CT

gardwine

mschauber wrote:What's the drinking window for these 4 wines?

Thanks.

I recommend drinking them within the next 12 months or so.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I've been wanting some quality cool-climate Riesling on here for ages. Question is: is this it? Do the Rieslings have that off-dry with biting acidity and minerality which I like in a good Mosel, or Scott Harvey's Michigan Riesling?
The Dry Riesling has PH 3.6 which seems a little high, but perhaps that work with a dry style. The Altruism is off-dry and the good acidity looks like it should be able to balance the RS nicely. Nonetheless, I'm concerned by the high alcohol (13.6 rather than 9-12%), so these may be warmer weather Rieslings.

I do love the idea of trying Roussanne with Riesling as a blend for the Freja.. anyone ever seen that before? I think it could be unique. And even though I hate Pinot Grigio, this may not be as nastily Green as the cheapo Italian ones that I grew up to hate!

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

Based on the IRF guidelines:

2008 Dry Riesling: sugar/acid ratio 0.94, pH 3.61 => medium sweet

2009 Altruism Riesling: sugar/acid ratio 2.9, pH 3.42 => sweet

(I know the guidelines are for Riesling but applied it anyway.)
2009 Altruism Pinot Gris: sugar/acid ratio 1.4, pH 3.45 => medium sweet

2009 Freyja White Blend: sugar/acid ratio 1.6. pH 3.34 => medium sweet

Note: each of these wines is on the dryer end of their respective categories; ie the medium sweet ones are not too far from being medium dry if I understand the guidelines properly.

Edit: I should add that in the EU the ones that fall into the IRF medium sweet category could be labeled medium dry or halbtrocken. This seems about right to me IMHO: halbtrocken usually means medium sweet (and trocken usually is medium dry, although there are some great exceptions that actually are dry.)

mschauber

gardwine wrote:I recommend drinking them within the next 12 months or so.

Thank you

--
My CT

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
gardwine wrote:These wines were made to hold up, and are in great shape. In fact, the 08 Dry Riesling was just featured in Tasting Room Magazine this spring

Thanks for the info. I'm in...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

gardwine

richardhod wrote:I've been wanting some quality cool-climate Riesling on here for ages. Question is: is this it? Do the Rieslings have that off-dry with biting acidity and minerality which I like in a good Mosel, or Scott Harvey's Michigan Riesling?
The Dry Riesling has PH 3.6 which seems a little high, but perhaps that work with a dry style. The Altruism is off-dry and the good acidity looks like it should be able to balance the RS nicely. Nonetheless, I'm concerned by the high alcohol (13.6 rather than 9-12%), so these may be warmer weather Rieslings.

I do love the idea of trying Roussanne with Riesling as a blend for the Freja.. anyone ever seen that before? I think it could be unique. And even though I hate Pinot Grigio, this may not be as nastily Green as the cheapo Italian ones that I grew up to hate!

Our Riesling is grown at a cooler site for Washington state - 1675 ft elevation - which tends to produce higher acid whites. (We harvested the 2008 Riesling at the end of October - some years into early November - if that tells you something.) Also, in Washington it's not uncommon to see 13-14% alc in Rieslings.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Lisa thank for staying up to discuss your wine with our group.

Can you tell us at what temp these wines open up and drink (taste) best at?

euvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages euvy

When do these ship? I am away until the 10th but want a case...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

euvy wrote:When do these ship? I am away until the 10th but want a case...

Wines generally ship within 2-3 weeks although sometimes faster. If you're worried, you could see if a neighbor or friend would let you ship to their address.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

If you are back by the 10th, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Fast shipping has not been the specialty around here lately.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

swmbo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages swmbo

Oh, yay, with this heat wave I have been really mourning my lack of whites. Now I just need an offering of Pedronecelli rose and a case of woot wine white case and I will be set!

KupoCheer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KupoCheer

I hate always being that one to complain about shipping limitations, but...

The size of my frown right now because I can't ship to my State...

North316

I must ask my standard Washington winery question. Are you Mariners fans?

My CT

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Definitely tempting, especially since we're currently sporting a 1:8 white:red ratio on our wine rack.

Haven't been able to dig up any good tasting notes or reviews yet. Did find this blurb on the web interesting, however.

Our vineyard provides the ideal conditions for growing fine wine grapes, particularily with its south-facing slope, elevation (1,365-1675 feet), and climate.

The soil is a silt loam with a depth of 18-42 inches on top of fractured basalt. We're pleased with our well-draining soil along with our drip irrigation system that give us full control over the water intake of the vines.

http://www.washingtonwine.org/wineries/gard-vintners-woodinville/

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

gardwine

Most orders will ship on Monday, April 9, so should arrive to you roughly around April 11-13.

gardwine

bsevern wrote:Lisa thank for staying up to discuss your wine with our group.

Can you tell us at what temp these wines open up and drink (taste) best at?

I recommend 45-50 degrees. Altruism Pinot Gris and Altruism Riesling closer to 45, Dry Riesling and Freyja closer to 50.

gardwine

North316 wrote:I must ask my standard Washington winery question. Are you Mariners fans?

Born and raised M's fans, although we haven't had an exciting season for quite a while!

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
stratma wrote:Based on the IRF guidelines:

2008 Dry Riesling: sugar/acid ratio 0.94, pH 3.61 => medium sweet

2009 Altruism Riesling: sugar/acid ratio 2.9, pH 3.42 => sweet

(I know the guidelines are for Riesling but applied it anyway.)
2009 Altruism Pinot Gris: sugar/acid ratio 1.4, pH 3.45 => medium sweet

2009 Freyja White Blend: sugar/acid ratio 1.6. pH 3.34 => medium sweet

Note: each of these wines is on the dryer end of their respective categories; ie the medium sweet ones are not too far from being medium dry if I understand the guidelines properly.

Nice post. I was looking at the stats and thinking the TAs were on the low side for a wine to be 'dry' given the level of RS. Looks to be the case. My guess is the balance will be a little to the sweet side for dry wine drinkers, but good for those who like softer/fruitier styles. I'd be more interested if the TAs were closer to 8 g/L.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Royal City ? Hummmm...that rings a bell. Is this the same Royal City that produced some of Charles Smith's 100pt Syrahs? Does your estate vineyards have similar soil/weather conditions as the Stoneridge vineyard? Same AVA (Wahluke Slope)? Distance from the Saddle Mountains? Looks like your Syrah's are a little more affordable than Chas Smith's

gardwine

sdilullo wrote:Definitely tempting, especially since we're currently sporting a 1:8 white:red ratio on our wine rack.

Haven't been able to dig up any good tasting notes or reviews yet. Did find this blurb on the web interesting, however.

http://www.washingtonwine.org/wineries/gard-vintners-woodinville/

In case it helps, we added winemaker notes, technical specs, recipes, etc. to: gardvintners.com/woot. We'll add some reviews to the page this morning, also.

ksieczka

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ksieczka

Warm weather = white wines!
What perfect timing for some spring/summer wines.

I have been low on the whites and need to restock. I'm in! Woot you're killing my budget...

gardwine

PTommins wrote:Royal City ? Hummmm...that rings a bell. Is this the same Royal City that produced some of Charles Smith's 100pt Syrahs? Does your estate vineyards have similar soil/weather conditions as the Stoneridge vineyard? Same AVA (Wahluke Slope)? Distance from the Saddle Mountains? Looks like your Syrah's are a little more affordable than Chas Smith's

Yep, the same Royal City as that epic Syrah from Charles Smith. Our vineyard is a few miles directly north from our friends at Stoneridge. The AVA is actually Columbia Valley (we're north of the Wahluke Slope/Saddle Mountains roughly 10-15 miles as the crow flies) - although discussion of starting our own AVA have been floating around. Stillwater Creek is also a notable vineyard nearby. More on our vineyard: lawrencevineyards.com

North316

gardwine wrote:Born and raised M's fans, although we haven't had an exciting season for quite a while!

That's enough to sell me. Now I just need the text message of approval from the wife and a case will be mine. I don't really need the text because I know as soon as she sees Riesling she will say yes, but I certainly like to include her in the process!

My CT

sdilullo

gardwine wrote:In case it helps, we added winemaker notes, technical specs, recipes, etc. to: gardvintners.com/woot. We'll add some reviews to the page this morning, also.

Awesome - appreciate the involvement. Love that you've included recipes and pairings!

Any other specific pairings you'd recommend for these? We definitely drink more whites in the summer so any must-tries might push me over the edge.

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gardwine wrote:In case it helps, we added winemaker notes, technical specs, recipes, etc. to: gardvintners.com/woot. We'll add some reviews to the page this morning, also.

Wow, great info there! Thank you!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gardwine

sdilullo wrote:Awesome - appreciate the involvement. Love that you've included recipes and pairings!

Any other specific pairings you'd recommend for these? We definitely drink more whites in the summer so any must-tries might push me over the edge.

I like the Dry Riesling with semi-spicy Asian food, and also I think the Freyja holds up well to semi-spicy Asian, especially those with richer sauces (think peanut or curry). The salmon recipe on our site is a must-try with the Pinot Gris - direct from family fishing trips in Alaska.

jsharabany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsharabany

I love drinking wine but I don't understand what all these facts mean. Like the acidity and the pH and the residual sugars. If I understood better I could purchase with a better conscious reasoning. Is it too much to ask for someone to give a quick run through explanation so I can try to be a smarty pants wine purchaser too lol

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa

I loooove riesling, but my wine cellar is full and then some. Would love to split the case with 2 others in Tampa Bay area. Anyone ineterested?

sdilullo

gardwine wrote:I like the Dry Riesling with semi-spicy Asian food, and also I think the Freyja holds up well to semi-spicy Asian, especially those with richer sauces (think peanut or curry). The salmon recipe on our site is a must-try with the Pinot Gris - direct from family fishing trips in Alaska.

Well you've convinced me, now just waiting on SWMBO's approval!