+ Add a Comment

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
Winedavid39 wrote:Noceto Reserva Sang. yes. a go to wine for me.

Sure would be nice to see them around these parts again????

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Last bottle of Boss Monster (for real, this time).

Berry explosion on the PnP. I'm not as down on it as others were. It's thinned a bit in the tannin department but my bottle still has that delicious factor that is hard to beat for $10. It's 87 KM points.

Edit: add air and this stuff is DELICIOUS! Maybe you weirdos got an off bottle, but my bottle is singing! Like berry compote nose. Soft palate. Wish I had a case.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
chukon99 wrote:2005 wellington estate zinfandel.

Had one of those with fellow wooters a couple weeks ago. Amazing wine.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
Winedavid39 wrote:ah, love that wine!

He's probably one of my favorite woot offerings. I will risk life and limb to buy his wines, given that SWMBO has put me on a wine buying moratorium (until the woot tour).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm not directly up-to-date, but recently tried both the BARRA Bella Dolce Dessert Wine (PS Port) and the Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2010 Sauvignon Blanc.

Both were very good. The KR SB is my favorite SB to-date. It doesn't have some of the characteristics I have noted in other SB's that turned me off to the varietal. Nice crisp acidity with some good tropic fruits without too much mineral or too tart flavor profiles. I still have some this left and need to taste it again tonight to take some better notes.

The BARRA PS Port was very good as well. I am a big port fan and still trying to distinguish the many variations out there, but this one was pretty good. It was a little hot right out of the bottle, but that blew off after about 5 minutes in the glass. After another 10-15 minutes in the glass it was fruity and smooth, with a touch of sweetness. I didn't get the raiseny flavor I get out of most Ports, but this was a very nice easy drinking Port. Glad I still have 3 bottles of this one (and a half bottle left in the fridge).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tytiger58

2005 Long Shadows Wineries Chester-Kidder

Juice box

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

Oban 14 year NV Single malt.
Got this as a flyer from Costco.
Not even close to Lagavulin, but pushes close to the Glenmorangie.

CT

tytiger58

2008 Volta Cab

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'08 Woodenhead Pinot Noir, Humboldt County-Unfined & Unfiltered. Big, young, concentrated. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a bigger, Cali Pinot. Their Zin has been on Woot, but I really dig their Pinot. A nice Ruusian River spot to taste, and sit on the deck looking down on the world while doing so...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Lance and wIndmill PS
My dad opened a Wellington chard and had a glass i guess I know what I will be having tomorrow.

Edit: edit... 6/3/2012: Did not try on day 1. These are day 2 notes
Nose and pallate are dominated by green apple, the wine is a very light yellow and is lighter than a typical chard. It has nice acidity but the finish reminds you it is a chard by the nice round mouth feel it leaves you with.

Highly recommended and I typically do not care for this varietal. I really enjoyed the nice light style without all the oak and over extracted fruit. Well done Peter. (9 views)

CT

kylemittskus

2008 Domaine La Colliere Côtes du Rhône Villages Rasteau

tytiger58

2007 Gilbert Cellars Estate Syrah.

Keep Gilbert coming!

rjquillin

On a more positive note, the guy that runs the lockers where I store overflow asked if I could take a look at his security ip-webcam...
Ended up doing a flight of ports as another client took delivery of a few cases.

2007 Quinta Da Romaneira Vintage Port
2005 Quinta do Noval Porto Late Bottled Vintage Unfiltered that I got to take home, score.
and I chimed in with a
2008 Kent Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte

Pretty sweet visit on the way home from work.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:2007 Gilbert Cellars Estate Syrah.

Keep Gilbert coming!

I had the Left Bank a month ago, it was delicious. I agree keep them coming!

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Drinking a cheapie Oregon Pinot tonight called Wine by Joe Pinot. I got it for $5 from the ClubW tryout shipment I purchased off Fab.

It was a little off-putting at first. Kind of had the quality of acid dipped raisins. I've had worse cheap Pinot, that's for sure, but I wouldn't rebuy this at the retail $15 price.

Always good to have the occasional reminder not to drink cheap Pinot

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

2005 Stonier Pinot

Travel shock be damned

Drinking very well tart cherries raspberries little tannins on the finish add grip and ripping acidity.

Who knew Aussie's made good Pinot?
Nice call WD!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cortot20 wrote:I had the Left Bank a month ago, it was delicious. I agree keep them coming!

I opened the Left Bank late last night... It was super yummmy!! I agree... we need more!!!

redwinefan

mommadeb1 wrote:I opened the Left Bank late last night... It was super yummmy!! I agree... we need more!!!

Gilbert is up on RLL right now for anyone who needs to restock.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
redwinefan wrote:Gilbert is up on RLL right now for anyone who needs to restock.

I have NO room!! or money!! poor me!

tytiger58

2007 Muxagat Vinhos Douro Mux Tinto Portugal

Really nice for $20

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

2007 Dubost Ranch Paso Robles Carmenère.

Had it dinner: Cod with coconut lime curry and baby bok choy

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

Probably a likely cooked bottle of Grange aux Belles from Garagiste.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bkarlan wrote:2007 Dubost Ranch Paso Robles Carmenère.

Had it dinner: Cod with coconut lime curry and baby bok choy

How'd you like the Dubost?

EDIT- Never mind! Just read your post on the Dubost forum. I completely agree, I've been working on getting their wine up on Woot for a looong time. That Carmenère is just plain cool. Really interesting and fun to drink.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Jack Daniel's. Yeah.

bkarlan

neilfindswine wrote:How'd you like the Dubost?

I have apparently developed a taste for Italian wines. I found it to be absolutely wonderful. The regret 2 things: 1 is that I only wooted for 1 order of 3 bottles and the other is my lack of space.

This is one of the rare bottles I will pay full retail for.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

Cava with orange chicken and jasmine rice when I get home at 10:30 tonight.

otolith

Opened a 2000 Chateau Monbousquet for tonight. Had planned on a couple different bottles, but plans changed. Not a bad backup. It's opened now, and will see how it goes as the night goes on.

edit: What a fabulous bottle of wine!

Some sour cherries on the nose, well-integrated tannins with medium to full body, and a fairly long finish. Getting a little alcohol, but not overwhelmed by it. A really nice, no great, bottle of wine. I don't think this bottle will last through the night. I'm glad I have 9 more in the cellar.

The prime rib roast on the grill was INCREDIBLE! Just put Emeril's essence on the outside, and on the grill it goes on a cookie sheet. I end up putting some water in the bottom of the pan so it doesn't scorch, and after about a 1/2 hour, cover it with foil. Cooked to an internal temp of 120, rested for 10min, then sliced.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bkarlan

Finishing off the 2007 Dubost Ranch Paso Robles Carmenère tonight with lamb tagine and coconut rice.

Probable not the best pairing, but I wanted lamb tagine and I liked the carmenere from last night.

otolith

bkarlan wrote:Finishing off the 2007 Dubost Ranch Paso Robles Carmenère tonight with lamb tagine and coconut rice.

Probable not the best pairing, but I wanted lamb tagine and I liked the carmenere from last night.

A nicely aged carmenere can be a great bottle of wine. I'd agree that your pairing to the lamb and rice would be challenging.

--John Muir

tytiger58

2011 Twisted Oak Albarino

i'm impressed lemon maybe a little peach and great acidity. I would buy if it was on Woot

rjquillin

Ramsay 2008 PN North Coast from a 2011.09 woot, with, don't snicker, turkey meat loaf and trimmings. Surprisingly light Pinot, but paired up well as I had hoped. Even SWIMBO, who prefers sweeter fare, approved.

CT

joellg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg

Well, Ive loved the woot wines I have purchased so far, Sextant was great, toolbox merlot was good, ect. But last night, I tried the 1999 Arcturus, and it smelled like it was going bad. I decanted it, and drank most of it. Just didnt seem right. Definitely got a little better (or I was starting to feel it more) as it sat. Maybe I opened it after shipping too soon. Had high hopes, but Im afraid to open any more. Anyone else get theirs and have the same problem?

rjquillin

joellg wrote:Well, Ive loved the woot wines I have purchased so far, Sextant was great, toolbox merlot was good, ect. But last night, I tried the 1999 Arcturus, and it smelled like it was going bad. I decanted it, and drank most of it. Just didnt seem right. Definitely got a little better (or I was starting to feel it more) as it sat. Maybe I opened it after shipping too soon. Had high hopes, but Im afraid to open any more. Anyone else get theirs and have the same problem?

I think the wisdom of letting a shipment rest for a few weeks to months before opening has been discussed before. Seldom will I open anything, especially an older vintage, within months of it's arrival for that vary reason. I know I've missed a re-offering in a woot-off of bottles I'd have gotten more of had I tasted early, but such is life. Hopefully that Arcturus will settle down, as I too just received both vintages and I'd not like to think they were a bad purchase, but WD & WW are known for making good on bad juice.

CT

kylemittskus

I'll be drinking a Tenuta Monti Caburnio with pizza and the King's game in about 2 hours.

redwinefan

I've got a Scott Harvey 2007 Barbera (the cheapie one) lined up with my first attempt at making wood fired pizzas on the grill tonight.

Might start out with a Conspire Sauvignon Blanc while I get the grill going since it's stinking hot here in Texas.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:I'll be drinking a Tenuta Monti Caburnio with pizza and the King's game in about 2 hours.

Sure hope you enjoyed the wine more than the game

otolith

redwinefan wrote:I've got a Scott Harvey 2007 Barbera (the cheapie one) lined up with my first attempt at making wood fired pizzas on the grill tonight.

Might start out with a Conspire Sauvignon Blanc while I get the grill going since it's stinking hot here in Texas.

Got a link or can you post some more info on making a wood-fired pizza on the grill?

--John Muir

kylemittskus

2001 Dow's LBV Porto

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

We had 2008 Limerick Lane Pinot Noir last night with Salmon that was swimming in the ocean yesterday morning. Limerick Lane is new to making Pinot, but I thought it was a good effort. The wine had a lot of earthy tones to it and went great with the fresh fish.

tytiger58

2007 Kendric Vineyards Pinot