losthighwayz wrote:2008 Core Grenache Reserve

Hey! Me too.what a coincidence.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

2007 Alderbrook Zinfandel Port

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

2007 Clos du Bois Calcaire Chardonnay with shrimp scampi.

rpm

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rpm

2003 WineSmith Chardonnay with boiled lobster. A very good match.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
rpm wrote:2003 WineSmith Chardonnay with boiled lobster. A very good match.

RPM on the thread. Nice to see you show up. I sometimes wonder, "What is RPM drinking tonight?"

Tonight:
2009 Chiarello Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Eileen. A sleeper of a winery. Check them out. This was excellent with grilled lamb chops.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
chipgreen wrote:2007 Alderbrook Zinfandel Port

Comments? I split an order of this with another wooter, thinking it would be a good opportunity for me to give Port a try. (Only had it once before, long ago, and didn't like it. One of the things that turned me off to it was how sweet it was.)

moondigger

rpm wrote:2003 WineSmith Chardonnay with boiled lobster. A very good match.

How would you say it compares to the Iron Horse UnOaked?

pseudogourmet98

chipgreen wrote:2007 Alderbrook Zinfandel Port

I first tasted Zin port years ago at a wine tasting event in Paso Robles and loved it. Have never seen it available locally so I was excited when this came up last month. I have not opened that yet. How is it?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2007 Mandolina Malvasia Bianca; label said off-dry, a little sweetness. We both thought it was more than a little sweet, but it was very nice with the sea bass with lime/ginger/shallot sauce. Pleased that it had held up so well as long as it did.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta

2010 Sans Liege Cotes du Coast (Rhone white blend).

This is delicious! I'm giving the edge to this over the Halcon Prado. This is a few bucks more and has Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne, and Grenache Blanc. Delightful.

Supposedly sold out via the winery, but I am going back to where I got it to pick up a few more bottles. Worth the retail... even though I abhor retail.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

My girlfriend made homemade potstickers and wonton soup from scratch, and I paired it with a bottle of 2009 Inspiration Vineyards Viognier, it's off the hook!

chipgreen

moondigger wrote:Comments? I split an order of this with another wooter, thinking it would be a good opportunity for me to give Port a try. (Only had it once before, long ago, and didn't like it. One of the things that turned me off to it was how sweet it was.)

Although it is a "Port", because it's made from Zinfandel it more closely resembles a late harvest Zin than a Port, at least to my palate. A fortified LH Zin, but still...

If you didn't enjoy the flavor profile of Port previously because of the sweetness, you're unlikely to enjoy this either unless you really like Zinfandel and/or your palate has changed.

pseudogourmet98 wrote:I first tasted Zin port years ago at a wine tasting event in Paso Robles and loved it. Have never seen it available locally so I was excited when this came up last month. I have not opened that yet. How is it?

You, OTOH will probably like it a lot. It's pretty much exactly what I expected - a hot, sweet, jammy Zin with some Port characteristics. Plum, prune, fig and caramel notes integrate well with the jammy raspberry flavors imparted by the Zinfandel base juice.

I put the bottle in the refrigerator before drinking, intending to chill it slightly for 15-20 minutes but forgot to take it out until 45 minutes later. It was definitely better as it started to warm up in the glass but was at its best before it reached room temperature. The original 15 minutes I planned on for chilling would probably have been just right.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2011 Halćon Prado (leftovers from the gathering)

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2012 Copain Tous Ensemble Rosé

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
kylemittskus wrote:2011 Halćon Prado (leftovers from the gathering)

I saw that nearly full bottle! Really enjoyed the Halcon you opened. Thanks again!

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

Finished the 2007 mcLean rose....I found it ok...lacking acidity. Finishing off 2010 Buttonwood Grenache-Syrah from Father's Day. I really shouldn't be drinking after This weekend.

losthighwayz

bsevern wrote:My girlfriend made homemade potstickers and wonton soup from scratch, and I paired it with a bottle of 2009 Inspiration Vineyards Viognier, it's off the hook!

The soup, the wine, or your GF?

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
tytiger58 wrote:2012 Copain Tous Ensemble Rosé

What did you think?

kylemittskus

losthighwayz wrote:I saw that nearly full bottle! Really enjoyed the Halcon you opened. Thanks again!

We opened a second one as klez didn't get to sample to first. Still delicious. I love this wine.

bsevern

2009 Jana Winery Riesling Old Vine Mendocino with round 2 of home made potstickers with a some changes in the filling, bit of heat added

The Riesling is drinking beautifully, lots of fruit, perfect amount of acidity, albeit with a muted nose.

tytiger58

tdedek wrote:What did you think?

Not as good as last year's but still delicious.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cmaldoon wrote:2006 Ardente Cab

Way too damned young!!!

Like licking a cherry flavored slab of slate, texture and all!

It is still quite good but WOW infanticide.

5 days in a split in the fridge and then another 2 hours of opening and NOW this is some good stuff!!!

Nose: deep beautiful floral-musky cherry preserves with a definite bell pepper or jalapeño tinge and some vanilla sweetness to tie it up.

Palate: cool cherry/ blackberry preserves, full concentrating but plenty of acidity to keep it from being heavy. A hint of eucalyptus, walnut, and into vanilla on the long but not forever finish.

I keep finding that I really like 2006 CA cabs. I wonder why?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:I keep finding that I really like 2006 CA cabs. I wonder why?

Great year (especially as time goes by) sandwiched between 05 (the "vintage of the decade") and 07 (the "forget the last vintage of the decade; this is the vintage of the decade decade").

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:Great year (especially as time goes by) sandwiched between 05 (the "vintage of the decade") and 07 (the "forget the last vintage of the decade; this is the vintage of the decade decade").

The '06 CA Cabs I've had have generally been a bit more tannic than the '05s and '07s so probably have better aging potential and are late bloomers, just starting to come into their own. FWIW, I chose the '06 Corison Kronos Cab for purchase over the '05 and '07 after tasting all three on the rpm tour. (some of us have to choose because we don't have TimothyB's budget!)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:(some of us have to choose because we don't have TimothyB's budget!)

Says the guy with 900 bottles of wine in his CT....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bsevern

cmaldoon wrote:
I keep finding that I really like 2006 CA cabs. I wonder why?

2006 seems to be an under-appreciated year, as I'm finding that they are drinking very, very well. I've been hoarding 2005-2007 CA, mostly Napa/Sonoma cabs

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Says the guy with 900 bottles of wine in his CT....

Doh!

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:We opened a second one as klez didn't get to sample to first. Still delicious. I love this wine.

Much appreciated that you opened a second. That was a very tasty bottle. Enough so that I might grab some next time it's on offer somewhere.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese

with cheap pizza and salad.

pseudogourmet98

kylemittskus wrote:2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese.

Going to open one tonight as well to check status. My 2 day FedEx delivery got screwed up and it sat in a warehouse all weekend. UGH! Corks look OK, but I'm still concerned. If the one I open is OK what is the likelihood any of the others will be cooked?

tytiger58

2011 Tercero Viognier White Hawk Vineyard

losthighwayz

2012 J Dusi PG. Perfect pairing with this great weather.

bsevern

2005 Bott-Geyl Les Elements Alsace Riesling.

Nice snag from a LB marathon, drinking really well.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:2012 J Dusi PG. Perfect pairing with this great weather.

My wife's favorite wine this year and she is bummed they are out.

CT

moondigger

kylemittskus wrote:2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Going to open one tonight as well to check status.

It's officially a trend. I opened the same bottle tonight after first considering a bottle of Pedroncelli Mother Clone Zin. Just more in the mood for Sangiovese tonight.

My 2 day FedEx delivery got screwed up and it sat in a warehouse all weekend. UGH! Corks look OK, but I'm still concerned. If the one I open is OK what is the likelihood any of the others will be cooked?

If all the corks look the same, and the one you pop(ped) is alright, you should be fine with the others.

chipgreen

moondigger wrote:If all the corks look the same, and the one you pop(ped) is alright, you should be fine with the others.

Along those same lines, if I have any question, I'll check the capsules and if there is a bottle with the cork sticking out a little more than the others, that's the one I open. If it's ok then I don't worry about the rest of the bottles.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

2010 Calcu Cab Franc
followed by
2005 McClean Syrah

Need I say which dominated?

CT

tytiger58

2006 Château Prieuré-Lichine Margaux

Wow a tannic beast see the rest of you in a couple of years.

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:2010 Calcu Cab Franc
followed by
2005 McClean Syrah

Need I say which dominated?

The Syrah I hope! Lol

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson