WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Wines That Rock 6-Pack

Speed to First Woot:
4m 59.000s
First Sucker:
whoffkne
Last Wooter to Woot:
hooliganx
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 39% of Wine Woots
Bottom 35% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 39% of Wine Woots
Top 42% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 8% first woot
  • 8% second woot
  • 24% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 38% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 4% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 4% one month old
  • 21% one year old
  • 70% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

8%
4%
1%
1%
0%
0%
2%
6%
8%
10%
10%
6%
4%
5%
3%
6%
1%
3%
4%
4%
5%
4%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting





Quality Posts



Cesare


quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Wines That Rock 6-Pack
$79.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Mixed
PRODUCTS:
2 Grateful Dead 2009 Red Wine Blend
2 2010 Woodstock Chardonnay
2 2008 The Dark Side of the Moon Cab
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/7/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

The Dark Side of the Moon cab makes this an almost auto-buy. I've never known Pink Floyd to be involved in anything that wasn't spectacular ;)

But, hearing about some peoples experience with these wines would be really helpful.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Previous offer includes a wine makers voicemail. The wines are different, but at least two of them are the same.

He discusses crafting a wine that links the wine and the music.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

greggarcia


quality posts: 9 Private Messages greggarcia

Redwood? ...really? ...interesting.
Any info on how it differs from the more traditional woods (oak from hither or yon) used?

iccrew98


quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98


For all it's worth, CT links below show a slightly higher level for the wines with different years and forum ratings. The Chard seems to be the general winner and the '07 version of the Dark Side Cab being panned a bit. None get super high grades across any years but I'm sure these are just fine "weekday" drinking wines.

With Peter Frampton playing in town tonight, I almost wish I had a bottle of one to round out the theme!

Dark Side Cabernet

Woodstock Chardonnay

Grateful Dead Red Blend

Edit: Updated after initial posting

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
greggarcia wrote:Redwood? ...really? ...interesting.
Any info on how it differs from the more traditional woods (oak from hither or yon) used?



If I'm not mistaken, Redwood is old, old school. I seem to recall seeing giant old redwood vats and barrels on display at some of the really old norcal wineries.


iccrew98


quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98
greggarcia wrote:Redwood? ...really? ...interesting.
Any info on how it differs from the more traditional woods (oak from hither or yon) used?



I know at one point they were used in puncheons (larger barrels) and really large, upright wooden tanks; typically with very large volume. Redwood isn't nearly as pliable as Oak, so making smaller format barrels isn't easy.

As for what it imparts on wine, I'm not too sure. I've heard it can hue white wines yellow but I have no idea... and no idea what it does to Reds.

Peter, if you're still around, would you happen to know? Any other CA winemakers available to post their 2 cents? It is surely intriguing from a knowledge standpoint.

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Greetings from Healdsburg tonight. In brief, I've recently spent quite a bit of time tasting and touring the winery where these are made.

The Old Growth Redwood tanks are 60 years old and not used as a flavoring agent as much as oak barrels are used, more for storage. I'll attached some pictures of my day on flicker (if I can upload, slow connection tonight in the middle of a 40 year old cabernet vineyard!) impressive to see these gigantic old growth tanks, the wood is 3 inches thick and each tanks holds 20,000 gallons.

WineDavid was my Boss!

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
texacaliali wrote:Greetings from Healdsburg tonight. In brief, I've recently spent quite a bit of time tasting and touring the winery where these are made.

The Old Growth Redwood tanks are 60 years old and not used as a flavoring agent as much as oak barrels are used, more for storage. I'll attached some pictures of my day on flicker (if I can upload, slow connection tonight in the middle of a 40 year old cabernet vineyard!) impressive to see these gigantic old growth tanks, the wood is 3 inches thick and each tanks holds 20,000 gallons.



Appreciate the info.. Could you share your flickre address, I'm curious to see these ginormous tanks. Thanks...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

djlund999


quality posts: 3 Private Messages djlund999

What I recall learning about Redwood, and other woods (like beechwood) is that they tend to start out fairly neutral in terms of flavor & tannin. Any barrels older than several vintages are totally neutral, used for storage.

dah7m


quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m

Novelty wines are an automatic pass in my book

mac62478


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mac62478
mschauber wrote:The Dark Side of the Moon cab makes this an almost auto-buy. I've never known Pink Floyd to be involved in anything that wasn't spectacular ;)

But, hearing about some peoples experience with these wines would be really helpful.



Go Blue!

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca

I am from the winery and am the 'Ringmaster' of the Direct to Consumer division....a fun and cool gig. It is great to be a part of this Woot today!

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
djlund999 wrote:What I recall learning about Redwood, and other woods (like beechwood) is that they tend to start out fairly neutral in terms of flavor & tannin. Any barrels older than several vintages are totally neutral, used for storage.



This is true. All of the old growth redwood barrels that we use are a minimum of 60 years old and most are around 100. They impart no taste from the wood, so in the aging process you end up with a true taste of the fruit in the end, unless we were to blend some of the aging from oak barrels as well.

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
dah7m wrote:Novelty wines are an automatic pass in my book



Too bad as these are not novelty. Just because it has a band on the front, the wine maker has taken great strides in making this wine from the finest grapes in Mendocino county. It has won many awards across the country and is now the #1 wine in all of the Hard Rock restaurants worldwide....no small feat. The wine truly speaks for itself.

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
greggarcia wrote:Redwood? ...really? ...interesting.
Any info on how it differs from the more traditional woods (oak from hither or yon) used?



Redwood was used over 100 years ago when we had so much of it in N California. When we reviewed whether to keep using the 70+ 10-20,000 gallon old growth redwood tanks, it was decided to keep them all in full production because redwood imparts no taste to the wine, which offers the winemaker ability of having the full fruit taste when blending and aging in wood. We have around 5000 oak barrels which we use for blending when we want the oak taste blended in with the neutrality of the redwood. It makes for a wider pallette of options when making the wine.

golfhorn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages golfhorn

I just bought a set to donate to a charity event next month. If you are the winemaker and would also like to donate let me know.

tonycyndy


quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

I'm intrigued. I really am. But I need someone to convince me that this is a deal. I'm seeing pricing from other sources that, barring the tax and excessive shipping cost, would imply that this isn't much of a deal. I depend on wine.woot to not only bring us good wines, but the best deals....I'm just not too sure this is the case here...

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
iccrew98 wrote:I know at one point they were used in puncheons (larger barrels) and really large, upright wooden tanks; typically with very large volume. Redwood isn't nearly as pliable as Oak, so making smaller format barrels isn't easy.

As for what it imparts on wine, I'm not too sure. I've heard it can hue white wines yellow but I have no idea... and no idea what it does to Reds.

Peter, if you're still around, would you happen to know? Any other CA winemakers available to post their 2 cents? It is surely intriguing from a knowledge standpoint.



I posted below about the redwood tanks.

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

ok, loaded 3 photos from the Old Growth Redwood room. Well worth a trip up to Mendocino to see in person, we should coordinate a gathering soon!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/texacaliali/show/

After the first 3 pics, there are many from the Wooter! porch tasting and vineyard tour of Rose-Bud Handal's place in Dry Creek too. Then a few hundred photos from my last trip to France. Enjoy!

WineDavid was my Boss!

fldeals


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fldeals

If this had included the Rolling Stones wine (a merlot) it would have been a must-buy.

Wines that Rock!


norley6574


quality posts: 0 Private Messages norley6574

Now I'm just angry cause I lose out on this awesome selection cause my state PA has such crapy laws

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

tonycyndy wrote:I'm intrigued. I really am. But I need someone to convince me that this is a deal. I'm seeing pricing from other sources that, barring the tax and excessive shipping cost, would imply that this isn't much of a deal. I depend on wine.woot to not only bring us good wines, but the best deals....I'm just not too sure this is the case here...

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?



I'll pipe in, due to the complexity in licensing with these iconic rock bands on the labels, this is a solid deal, we worked hard to create the best online offer for Wooters! Take advantage of the Woot! $5 shipping and no taxes...the wines truly are delicious! These are such fun wines to gift too.

WineDavid was my Boss!

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mac62478 wrote:Go Blue!




The Wolverines rock!

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

texacaliali


quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

mschauber wrote:
The Wolverines rock!



My first official wine-tasting gig for a bunch of wine geeks was called "Blue House Wines", all Michigan Alumni.

Oh and Sic'em Bears today!!

WineDavid was my Boss!

tonycyndy


quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy
texacaliali wrote:I'll pipe in, due to the complexity in licensing with these iconic rock bands on the labels, this is a solid deal, we worked hard to create the best online offer for Wooters! Take advantage of the Woot! $5 shipping and no taxes...the wines truly are delicious! These are such fun wines to gift too.



It's hard to argue with your logic. Unless I can find these at a similar price point in a retail outlet, this IS a decent deal. And the chances that I am going to run across all three of these near this price locally or even in the region is a long-shot. Yeah...what the heck. I've got friends who would covet these...good gifting at the least, and great drinking at the most...and now I'm in the mood for some Pink Floyd. Thanks for your input!

liverman


quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Looking at the pH and TA numbers, the Grateful Dead looks like a drink "sooner than later" kind of red, now through 2014. The Pink Floyd Cab might cellar a bit longer - maybe through 2016.

sjb111ca - does that agree with Mark's thoughts about the drinking window?

sjb111ca - About the Chard - how naked is it? Is this "zero oak" and "zero malolactic" or semi-naked (would that be topless? ) with some oak and/or ML treatment?

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,

Greg

liverman


quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Regarding value...this represents a 33% discount off the total-including-shipping from the winery and a 17% discount off the total-including-shipping from another source.

However, in absolute terms, it clocks in at under $15 bucks a bottle delivered to my door.

Not having tried this wine, I don't know if this is a $15 bottle of wine or a $10 bottle with a $5 label.

Definitely a fun one to take to a party...or gift.

The whole concept of music-inspired wine or "art-as-a-muse for winemaking" is intriguing me this morning...

On the fence this morning about this particualr buy...

...sure you can't throw in a corkscrew or a t-shirt ??

Regards,

Greg

pinchecat


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat
tonycyndy wrote:I'm intrigued. I really am. But I need someone to convince me that this is a deal. I'm seeing pricing from other sources that, barring the tax and excessive shipping cost, would imply that this isn't much of a deal. I depend on wine.woot to not only bring us good wines, but the best deals....I'm just not too sure this is the case here...

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?



welcome to woot 2.0... aka amazon.woot.com

dlcarst77


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlcarst77

Unless there are "special ingredients" in these wines I'll pass. I don't think many people at Woodstock were sipping Chardonnay. I also can't recall ever having a plate of skewered lamb and a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon while listening to Dark Side of the Moon.

Woots: 24
Hours wasted on Woot: countless
Regrets: 0

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
liverman wrote:Looking at the pH and TA numbers, the Grateful Dead looks like a drink "sooner than later" kind of red, now through 2014. The Pink Floyd Cab might cellar a bit longer - maybe through 2016.

sjb111ca - does that agree with Mark's thoughts about the drinking window?

sjb111ca - About the Chard - how naked is it? Is this "zero oak" and "zero malolactic" or semi-naked (would that be topless? ) with some oak and/or ML treatment?

Thanks for your comments!



As in any Chard, the drinking window is better soon to 2-4 years tops. The Cab though will do for 5-10 years. We will be offering a Wine Woot soon with flights of 90's Cabs....they hold up very well and taste great.

The Chard has a small percentage of oak aging, single digits. I have a call into the winemaker to find out exactly how much.

tonycyndy


quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy
pinchecat wrote:welcome to woot 2.0... aka amazon.woot.com



I'm in agreement with you regarding woot, or as I call it, wootazon, but I still feel that wine.woot hasn't been corrupted yet by the amamzon influence. I've bought many, many wines before and after Amazon takeover from wine.woot that have been excellent deals on excellent wines. I thought my question was a fair one considering the mix of the labeling with wines that were touted as more than gimmicky. I have faith in texicaliali's opinions...they've always seemed to be fair and balanced and haven't failed me yet.

zenophile


quality posts: 6 Private Messages zenophile

So, are these minerally wines? That would be yummy. Given the name, I'd hope so...

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

I question how good the wine is when you have to rely on Icon Bands to sell your product

michaelvella


quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
sjb111ca wrote:This is true. All of the old growth redwood barrels that we use are a minimum of 60 years old and most are around 100. They impart no taste from the wood, so in the aging process you end up with a true taste of the fruit in the end, unless we were to blend some of the aging from oak barrels as well.



I remember going to the old Mirassou winery in south San Jose and they had the same huge redwood tanks. Can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems they told us that they were built in place or the building was built around them.

WaltW


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW
fredrinaldi wrote:I question how good the wine is when you have to rely on Icon Bands to sell your product



I -- and my guests -- judge the wine on how it tastes after pouring from my decanter. Other than having the empty bottle next to the decanter to show what the wine is, the label does/should not influence how good it tastes. Without some independent Rat reviews from the old Woot (and not the wholesaler or the "I work for David" shills) it sounds like this wine depends on the label for its quality. It would make a nice novelty gift wine similar to "Old Bastard".

Pass for me on this and four or five recent previous offerings.

michaelvella


quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
fredrinaldi wrote:I question how good the wine is when you have to rely on Icon Bands to sell your product



I question your baseless statement.
Given your experience with these particular wines, perhaps you can share with the group why you feel they are not worth the woot price today?
Or have you not had any of these and you're just being rude?

sjb111ca


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sjb111ca
fredrinaldi wrote:I question how good the wine is when you have to rely on Icon Bands to sell your product



Actually it is the other way around. One of the world's leading management companies for large rock acts approached the winery with the idea because they worked with these bands and the bands were interested as serious wine drinkers. The wine maker then went about creating the best wine per label for that particular band, while listening and being inspired by the music.

It was not, 'let's make inferior wine and try and get some licensing', quite the opposite as these bands 'licensing' criteria is vast, very stringent and very legal. To make poor wine for major acts like The Stones and Grateful Dead would never had worked, from the bands standpoint and thus the consumer.

Band and inspiration first, then the making of the wine.

Winedavid39


quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

texacaliali wrote:ok, loaded 3 photos from the Old Growth Redwood room. Well worth a trip up to Mendocino to see in person, we should coordinate a gathering soon!


http://www.flickr.com/photos/texacaliali/show/

After the first 3 pics, there are many from the Wooter! porch tasting and vineyard tour of Rose-Bud Handal's place in Dry Creek too. Then a few hundred photos from my last trip to France. Enjoy!




Cool Pic's Alison. Thanks for posting.