$52.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 4 2009 Martian Ranch Viognier
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kyo003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyo003

At first I thought this was a woot for vinegar.

cmiddlet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmiddlet

I love voignier. Los Alamos wines are really siliceous forward due to high silica in the soil. Yummy, can't wait to try with coconut shrimp and spring rolls.

CSV

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy

Tech notes from the website: "Our 2009 Martian Ranch Viognier is made from Viognier grown in Fess Parker’s Camp 4 Vineyard in Santa Ynez and in the Estelle Vineyard in Happy Canyon. The juice is fermented 75% in barrel and 25% in stainless, allowing us to maintain its taut balance of Viognier’s either/or grape personality tendencies (“Am I zaftig or am I delicate? What day of the week is it?) We blend 10% Grenache Blanc to add some spice to the finished wine."

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

This is an intriguing sale ... especially right now, before it's too hot to ship safely, and in time for summer quaffing ...

But now it's time for my "wine whine": too bad this winery hasn't registered to see in our state. All it takes is a nominal registration fee (doesn't actually cover the state's processing costs) and a couple of forms to fill out online.

*sigh*

w00tgurl

quality posts: 26 Private Messages w00tgurl

got me all excited thinking it was orange wine. it's not

:-(

Cat & Duck's Investigative Assistant
LONG LIVE WOOT CLUE 2012! r.i.p. you are miseed

simplydumpling

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simplydumpling

It's 22/bottle on their website so it's around 33% off. Pretty decent deal especially since they don't offer shipping except in California.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Technical Info

No stats but there is cooperage and blending info.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

You lost me at "biodynamically" ... BDBS

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

old1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages old1953

Why on Earth does Tennessee pop on and off that shipping list every other day? Are Martians interfering with shipping?

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559
sdbcmr wrote:This is an intriguing sale ... especially right now, before it's too hot to ship safely, and in time for summer quaffing ...

But now it's time for my "wine whine": too bad this winery hasn't registered to see in our state. All it takes is a nominal registration fee (doesn't actually cover the state's processing costs) and a couple of forms to fill out online.

*sigh*

You bring up an interesting point and one which I have been curious about. I live in an area where summer temps are high. However, I live in California where, so far, all of my wine orders have shipped from. This means the actual shipping process takes one day. Is this enough heat exposure to damage the wine ?
Are some wines more susceptible to heat damage than others ?

jaschuyler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaschuyler

Saved once again this week by no shipping to my state!

TrudiCMT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TrudiCMT
jaschuyler wrote:Saved once again this week by no shipping to my state!

That's exactly what I came here to say. It saved me from yesterday's mixed case as well.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...honestly haven't had a chance to try this one yet, but looking forward to it.

The fruit sources caught my eye. Much of it comes from the Camp 4 vineyard, which is known for producing quality grapes; predominately rhone varietals. Tensley in Los Olivos uses Camp 4 fruit in both reds and whites, as does our good friend Larry from Tercero Wines, who drops in on the boards from time to time. His Camp 4 Grenache is pretty delicious.

Obviously every winemaker does their own thing once the fruit gets picked, but worth mentioning nonetheless, methinks...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

michaelvella

quality posts: 13 Private Messages michaelvella
simplydumpling wrote:It's 22/bottle on their website so it's around 33% off. Pretty decent deal especially since they don't offer shipping except in California.

40, actually. So an even better deal.

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559
kyo003 wrote:At first I thought this was a woot for vinegar.

Just keep it at room temp. long enough and it will be.

schro5150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schro5150
michaelvella wrote:40, actually. So an even better deal.

Looks like $22.00 per bottle. $110 for four shipped to Iowa, so the woot price is almost half off.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
michaelvella wrote:40, actually. So an even better deal.

I can't find anything in there store more than $24/bottle.

I found $22/bottle for the viognier as well.

This is piquing my interest due to the 75% barrel fermentation. One of my favorite winemakers (John Hawley) makes his Viognier via barrel fermentation and it gives it an awesome midweight mouth feel and full finish.

I would like to hear what the motivation for the 25% stainless fermentation was.

The tech data page lists that 10% grenache blanc was blended in to add spice (I assume at bottling and not co-fermentation). I am trying to picture spicy notes with the full tannic weight of a viognier. Interesting.... Can the winery please chime in on this?

Also, if Larry is lurking maybe he can comment on if he is getting spice from his Camp 4 Grenache Blanc. I know I tasted it at D&D, but I don't really remember there being much spice to it.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

If this were offered in a couple weeks, I'd probably be in. For now, I have exceeded my wine budget for the month.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
kylemittskus wrote:If this were offered in a couple weeks, I'd probably be in. For now, I have exceeded my wine budget for the month.

I have exceeded more than my share of space. I am trying to drink faster and I am too selfish to share.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I love Viognier,but alas, VA is not on the list!

martianranch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martianranch

Dan from Mars here - The reason for the partial (25%) use of stainless steel in the Viognier production was just to ensure that a little bit of the Viognier's crispness shines through along with the lush character you expect with the variety. The winemaker was Brett Escalera (who worked with Larry at Fess Parker) and as he and Nan tasted through the barrels prior to bottling, the wine just seemed a little more compelling with the slight amount of GrenacheBlanc.
FWIW, just to be fair, when it was time to bottle the Martian Ranch Grenache Blanc, we added 15% Viognier to it. The two grapes just seem to play so nicely with each other that it felt right to do it this way (tasted right, too).

DF

trifecta wrote:I can't find anything in there store more than $24/bottle.

I found $22/bottle for the viognier as well.

This is piquing my interest due to the 75% barrel fermentation. One of my favorite winemakers (John Hawley) makes his Viognier via barrel fermentation and it gives it an awesome midweight mouth feel and full finish.

I would like to hear what the motivation for the 25% stainless fermentation was.

The tech data page lists that 10% grenache blanc was blended in to add spice (I assume at bottling and not co-fermentation). I am trying to picture spicy notes with the full tannic weight of a viognier. Interesting.... Can the winery please chime in on this?

Also, if Larry is lurking maybe he can comment on if he is getting spice from his Camp 4 Grenache Blanc. I know I tasted it at D&D, but I don't really remember there being much spice to it.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi
martianranch wrote:Dan from Mars here - The reason for the partial (25%) use of stainless steel in the Viognier production was just to ensure that a little bit of the Viognier's crispness shines through along with the lush character you expect with the variety. The winemaker was Brett Escalera (who worked with Larry at Fess Parker) and as he and Nan tasted through the barrels prior to bottling, the wine just seemed a little more compelling with the slight amount of GrenacheBlanc.
FWIW, just to be fair, when it was time to bottle the Martian Ranch Grenache Blanc, we added 15% Viognier to it. The two grapes just seem to play so nicely with each other that it felt right to do it this way (tasted right, too).

DF

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi

took 22 boxes of Woot wine boxes delivered to my local wine shop today to recycle, He was amazed. Told him more to follow

trifecta

Sunday night clue??

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
neilfindswine wrote:...honestly haven't had a chance to try this one yet, but looking forward to it.

The fruit sources caught my eye. Much of it comes from the Camp 4 vineyard, which is known for producing quality grapes; predominately rhone varietals. Tensley in Los Olivos uses Camp 4 fruit in both reds and whites, as does our good friend Larry from Tercero Wines, who drops in on the boards from time to time. His Camp 4 Grenache is pretty delicious.

Obviously every winemaker does their own thing once the fruit gets picked, but worth mentioning nonetheless, methinks...

One of my favorite winery's also uses camp four vineyard fruit in some of its wines. Municipal winemakers. The owner and winemaker dave potter is also a winemaker at fess Parker, so there are some similarities there. I'm intrigued.

CT

trifecta

C'mon TT! Your kids clue was done so soon. How about one for us adults?

deannah2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deannah2
Cesare wrote:Martian Ranch & Vineyard Viognier
$52.99 + $5 shipping
CT link above

Winery website

My redit card has been charged for order placed 3/11, yet no clickable order#. Order 37172993 When will my order ship?

deannah2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deannah2
Cesare wrote:Martian Ranch & Vineyard Viognier
$52.99 + $5 shipping
CT link above

Winery website

My credit card has been charged for order placed 3/11, yet no clickable order#. Order 37172993 When will my order ship?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
deannah2 wrote:My credit card has been charged for order placed 3/11, yet no clickable order#. Order 37172993 When will my order ship?

You may want to contact service@woot.com with your question - they'd be able to look it up and let you know!

I'm just hanging out, really.

kadsworld

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kadsworld

Got mine today...but I'm too tired to work a corkscrew, so it's going to have to wait.

scottw2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottw2

I like it. On my 2nd bottle. Sure beats a tired Chard.