quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet

Ok KC & The Sunshine Band

Sing it

Shake Shake Shake
Shake your Butter
Shake your Butter..........

fortgeorge

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fortgeorge
skywarrior3 wrote:Would this work with goat's cream? I just bought two dairy goats today.

Make sure you get it from FEMALE goats.

"Television is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome." T.S. Eliot

If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion. - Edmond de Goncourt

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense. - Robert Heinlein

blazerflamewing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blazerflamewing

Making butter doesn't really require a kit. i fyou have any old peanut butter jar or anything of the like, just put the cream (and other ingredients, should you choose to use them), in it and shake until lumpy. that's it. no need to buy any specialized kit or anything.

On another note, you can save the excess liquid (also known as buttermilk) that results from making butter and use that for cooking with as well. you can make several things like buttermilk pancakes or ranch dressing.

fortgeorge

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fortgeorge
blazerflamewing wrote:Making butter doesn't really require a kit. i fyou have any old peanut butter jar or anything of the like, just put the cream (and other ingredients, should you choose to use them), in it and shake until lumpy. that's it. no need to buy any specialized kit or anything.

On another note, you can save the excess liquid (also known as buttermilk) that results from making butter and use that for cooking with as well. you can make several things like buttermilk pancakes or ranch dressing.

You can also use a food processor or stand mixer(like Kitchenaid) to make butter, much easier than a jar.

Use the butter milk for the things you suggested as well as cakes, my MIL uses buttermilk for a chocolate cake she makes, it's texture and flavor are awesome.

"Television is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome." T.S. Eliot

If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion. - Edmond de Goncourt

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense. - Robert Heinlein

foolsdance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foolsdance

For a detailed explanation of butter making, including sweet cream vs cultured, which creams are best, various churning methods and so on, go here:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/How-To-Make-Butter-And-Buttermilk.aspx

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

This is SOOO Third Grade. Did this in my third grade class for a Thanksgiving celebration. My teacher took an empty jar, poured a pint of heavy cream in it, a pinch of salt, and passed it around to everyone in class for a shake. It was passed around to everyone and by the time it got to the last person, it was butter. (Circa early 1960s)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fortgeorge wrote:Make sure you get it from FEMALE goats.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

lesliekozup

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lesliekozup
ThunderThighs wrote:

SO easy having everything in a kit! Just need to buy one thing and you are done...

ruadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruadog
sdbcmr wrote:I know there are some who really, really love the non-wine Wine Woots, but I gotta confess: I cringe whenever I come in here and they're selling crackers or cheese or freaking butter or something ... I cringe.

Wine. I like ... wine.

I for one like the non-wine Woots because I live in Pennsylvania (with its archaic alcohol laws) so it's not even worth it to me looking at the actual wine Woots.

Honestly, I often wonder how this site survives given the number of places they CAN'T ship to.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

In first grade we made butter. There was a bowl of cream with an egg beater in it and each kid got to spin the egg beater until the cream became butter. So I don't get what this kit is for?

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

lucrezia31

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lucrezia31

I'm exactly the opposite. Love when it's not wine. Because I live in *gasp* New Jersey. Counting the days though!

This, however, still seems like a waste.

W: 12 |T.W: 0 |H.W: 6 |S.W: 1 |K.W: 8 |Sh.W: 15 |W.W: 4 |So.W: 0 - It's the wootiest!

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Um dont you make butter by making whipped cream but then whipping it way too much?

lucrezia31

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lucrezia31
lesliekozup wrote:SO easy having everything in a kit! Just need to buy one thing and you are done...

I would normally agree but it's still requirung me to go to the supermarket for heavy cream, no? It's a good educational toy, I'll give you that but I don't know if wine.woot is a good dorum for this intro. I guess we'll see ...

W: 12 |T.W: 0 |H.W: 6 |S.W: 1 |K.W: 8 |Sh.W: 15 |W.W: 4 |So.W: 0 - It's the wootiest!

barkingkitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barkingkitty

Ooh, can't wait to see this offered again...and again... during the next Woot*Off

“ I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it. “ ~ Kathryn Stockett

cashew

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cashew
skywarrior3 wrote:Would this work with goat's cream? I just bought two dairy goats today.

Goat milk doesn't separate like cow milk.. unless you're willing to skim minute amounts of fat off several day old milk in your fridge, or willing to invest in a cream separator, it might not be worth the effort..

that being said... Sure, if you can acquire the cream and agitate it enough, I don't see why it wouldn't work. (You can churn whole milk.. it just takes a hell of a lot of time, and you get very little return for your investment in milk.)

I am the Cashew. Goo Goo Ja Goob.

mchls45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchls45

Empty paint can + lots of heavy cream + friend who works in Home Depot paint department = a years supply of butter.

lol ( Land O Lakes )

hopeC12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopeC12
thumperchick wrote:Image AHOY!

So disturbing...

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

I'm quite happy to see non-wine products on this site since woot won't ship to my state.

Being able to support Woot and its' employees makes me happy :-)

Yes, there are other ways to make butter, but I purchased to remind myself that we can do it if we want to, otherwise, Land o' Lakes....

Booger Face

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench
fortgeorge wrote:You can also use a food processor or stand mixer(like Kitchenaid) to make butter, much easier than a jar.

Use the butter milk for the things you suggested as well as cakes, my MIL uses buttermilk for a chocolate cake she makes, it's texture and flavor are awesome.

I used to make my own butter in the dryer. Yes, the dryer.

Just need an empty and cleaned plastic peanut butter jar, a padded oven mitt, and some cream.

Fill the jar about halfway with the cream, put it in the mitt, close it up with safety pins (oh, yeah, you'll need safety pins too).

Put it in the dryer--set the dryer to just toss the contents for about 20 minutes--no heat!

Take it out, open the jar, pour off the whey. Re-seal the jar and the mitt and throw it back in the dryer for another 20 minutes.]

Voila! You'll have really good butter!

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

houndawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages houndawg
inkwench wrote:I used to make my own butter in the dryer. Yes, the dryer.

Just need an empty and cleaned plastic peanut butter jar, a padded oven mitt, and some cream.

Fill the jar about halfway with the cream, put it in the mitt, close it up with safety pins (oh, yeah, you'll need safety pins too).

Put it in the dryer--set the dryer to just toss the contents for about 20 minutes--no heat!

Take it out, open the jar, pour off the whey. Re-seal the jar and the mitt and throw it back in the dryer for another 20 minutes.]

Voila! You'll have really good butter!

I make butter with my Kitchenaid mixer. Pour whipping cream in a bowl, put in a little salt, and turn on high. When it starts to separate, lower the speed. When you get a nice ball, take it out and squeeze it in some cheese cloth. Now you have butter and you didn't wear yourself out shaking a hokey jar.

fred4405

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fred4405

Maybe it is just me but $14 + the cost of cream to be able to make 6.5 ounces of butter? I know I can go to my local grocery and pay $6 for a pound of a good quality butter, I don't know just seems to be an outrageous price to me. Then one of the other posters said Amazon sells a 12 pack of this for like $17 but is out of stock right now, imagine that isn't this site run by Amazon????

akabaloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akabaloo

This would be a great gift for anyone who has family in Norway, I heard they were going through some sort of "butter crisis".

lizardsmells

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lizardsmells

I had to log in just to say anyone who needs a kit to make butter better only have safety scissor in their house and no sharp corners on furniture.

You want to make butter? Do this - get a pint of whole cream, dump it in a blender. Add a pinch of salt. Turn the blender on. Watch it. After a few minutes the butter and milk will separate. Pour off the milk (it's buttermilk! great for baking!). press the butter together with your hands under running water.

If you want flavors add those with the salt.

IT REALLY IS THAT FREAKING EASY.

kvs2000

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kvs2000

I cant beleive its not ....(wine)

Fabio

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink
Ooh, can't wait to see this offered again...and again... during the next Woot*Off

Or in a bag o cr*p

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick
ruadog wrote:Honestly, I often wonder how this site survives given the number of places they CAN'T ship to.

Alcoholics?

elezar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elezar

Hey, I'm curious if it's possible to make butter without using a kit? Could someone post some instructions on how to do so?

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink
sdbcmr wrote:I know there are some who really, really love the non-wine Wine Woots, but I gotta confess: I cringe whenever I come in here and they're selling crackers or cheese or freaking butter or something ... I cringe.

Wine. I like ... wine.

amen to that. Although some of the toffees and chocolates woot has offered have not been bad. The Brandini toffee turned out to be really good. But more wine!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
worldwidewebfeet wrote:Ok KC & The Sunshine Band

Sing it

Shake Shake Shake
Shake your Butter
Shake your Butter..........

That put this in my head:

Also, may I say I am vaguely impressed at the various ways you all know how to make butter.

(I wonder if this would work with soy milk...)

I'm just hanging out, really.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet

for inkycatz......

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
elezar wrote:Hey, I'm curious if it's possible to make butter without using a kit? Could someone post some instructions on how to do so?

First you need cream, the stuff in the stupor market is filled with preservatives just because the geeks at the FDA are on a power trip. So you will need to make an Amish connection or a connection with someone who has an Amish connection. Once you have made a connection with "Mr. Stoltzfus" or someone who knows "Mr. Stoltzfus" ...

Try this link for people who know "Mr. Stoltzfus"

www.realmilk.com/where07.html

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

Tamshin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tamshin

If this is one of those Shake Weights with a hollow core to add cream, I'm not going to be happy.

wildaboutmn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wildaboutmn

Had to check the calendar -- nope, not April 1. "Chefs, families and foodies will love this kit." Still not April 1. $19.00 -- STILL not April 1. What gives?

satch69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satch69

can we simply bite the bullet and rename wine.woot to food.woot? sounds good to me

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

inkycatz

satch69 wrote:can we simply bite the bullet and rename wine.woot to food.woot? sounds good to me

It's a Thursday thing!

worldwidewebfeet wrote:for inkycatz......

(PIX)

Thanks!

inkycatz

Butter Tea

I have to confess, this sounds odd. Anyone do this sort of thing with butter?

bzbdewd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bzbdewd

RE: Goat's milk. It depends on the type of goat you have. Some produce a very high butterfat milk. I used to raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and some produced milk that was more like cream on top Jersey cow's milk. After 24 hrs in the fridge you could scoop the cream right off the top and it made fantastic butter!

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally
richardhod wrote:I want to know if this is good QPR: how much does this butter whey?

about a Euro-Pound.

nothinghead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nothinghead

This is a silly product, but it inspired me to make butter today. I had a small container of heavy cream I bought for a recipe that was just going to sit there until it spoiled, so I threw it in the kitchenaid, turned it into butter, and had it on toast with jam. Not a bad project, but, yes, a bad woot.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

The nicest thing about homemade butter is that it's always smooth and creamy so it spreads easily on bread or toast, even straight from the fridge. No more shredding your bread trying to spread butter on it for making grilled cheese sandwiches!