smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke
thomasmikebailey wrote:Hi Guys,,, this is Thomas Bailey from Pacific Rim Winemakers... Just wanted to let everyone know that this particular vintage is nearly sold out, and that our Pacific Rim Riesling is not easily available to find in mainstream retail stores(like our Sweet Riesling)....which has tremendous account base.
That is why you will find our Riesling, from time-to-time at large discount liqour stores or even COSTCO... as these stores cherry pick highly rated wines, charge little margin, and move LARGE volume.
As a small producer of world class Riesling, you sometimes have to feed the big fish in order to recoop your investment(glass, labels, grapes,,,,etc.), so you can turn around and make another fantastic vintage of wine!! We certainly have a goal to make our wines available to as many people as possible.
That is why we are applying to direct ship to more & more states meanwhile slowly building our account base. Wine.woot! is an awesome partner in helping these great wines from Pacific Rim more available to the country!

In addition to claiming the #1 Top 100 wine of the year from Enthuiast, the 2009 vintage was named the #2 wine of 2010 from Wine Enthus. & given 92pts... Back to back record off accolades.

It is a very refreshing wine, lightly sweet on the front end, a lush mid-palate feel - finishing crip and finsihes off dry. The lower Ph gives an overall impression of subtle to little sweetnes, balanced with a lively acidity which pairs nicely with all manners of cuisine or enjoyed on its own on the patio. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I'm in for 1

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

All I had to do is buy a case of Reisling from a NC vineyard (Shelton) and Woot does this to me.

I like Reisling, but really--I don't need *that* much on my rack.

Pity, though.

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Becki1208 wrote:Has Virginia been suddenly removed from states allowing wine deliveries? We just had a shipment a month or so ago and now it no longer shows on the states list (and I can't find anything about a change on the "Compliance" link). Any ideas?! Thanks!!

It's winery dependent, sorry!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jaschuyler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaschuyler

Yeah, considering the fairly large population in VA, it's too bad there's no VA on this winery's list.

I imagine with all things, though, each winery must weigh the legal hoops and the cost of jumping through said legal hoops for each state against their known customer base in that state. They are of course interested in the largest return for each dollar invested. If the winery has a small customer base and/or the licensing requirements are stringent or expensive in that state, it makes logical sense that they won't have licenses to ship everywhere yet. Too expensive and too difficult for too little return.

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Ahh the variations in taste designations on Riesling wines! It is the curse of the Riesling that it can be made in so many styles - bone dry to syrupy sweet. It has the capability to speak for the vineyard and the weather like no other varietal, but this is often clouded by residual sugar levels.

Pacific Rim seems to be a big fan of the Riesling varietal with so much information (quite useful) on their website devoted to the varietal. They include several links to the International Riesling Foundation (http://drinkriesling.com/tastescale/thescale) which is seeking to re-define the taste profiles (dry, medium dry, medium sweet and sweet) according to sugar/acid RATIOS (with adjustment allowed for pH variations) instead of the German scale that is based on ABSOLUTE sugar levels (with some adjustment allowed for acid levels).

So let's see how this wine's labelling and marketing stacks up to the accepted standards of Riesling taste profiles:

Here we have a '10 Pacific Rim Riesling that is claimed by the maker to be between their "dry" and their "sweet". On the website it is classed as "Medium Dry". With Residual Sugar 3.1% pH:3.11 TA:.75%, this places this wine at 3.1/0.75 = 4.133 sugar to acid ratio. According to the International Riesling Foundation, this is "Sweet". If it were a German wine, this would be Lieblich (lovely or fruity) or Halbsüß (half-sweet) at 31 g/L residual sugar. Not "Medium Dry" or "Halbtrocken".

By the way, the '09 Pacific Rim Dry Riesling (Alcohol 13.5% Residual Sugar 1.00% pH: 3.8 TA:0.8%) is dry by neither the German scale (should be halbtrocken or half-dry @ 10 g/L sugar) or the IRF scale (should be Medium Sweet due to the elevated pH).

I am disappointed in Pacific Rim labelling not keeping with either the IRF or German guidelines, especially since Pacific Rim appears to be a supporter of the IRF. Perhaps I have misunderstood how the chemical analysis of the wines is expressed? I kinda doubt that since I have a couple of degrees in chemistry. Maybe it's that old % to g/L conversion ambiguity?

I am also disappointed in winemakers expressing sugar and acid in % instead of acutal weight. It is ambiguous. I understand the accepted practice is to use 1 g/L = 0.1%. This is technically incorrect since it assumes that a litre of wine weighs exactly 1000 g (which it does not). Expressing both sugar and acid in grams per litre is unambigous - which is why German and EU law and the IRF guiudelines are expressed in grams per litre and not %.

Conclusion: I understand both the German and IRF taste profile labelling. I know what I am going to get in terms of sweet/dry, tartness, etc. Obviously, the other flavor notes - floral, minerality, petrol, botrytis, etc., are not captured in these designations, but I have a good feel for the sweetness. And I know what I like and where it fits on either the German or IRF scale.

This wine is not for me.

By the way, the single vineyard wines (Solstice and Wallula) look very interesting.

Regards,

Greg

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

"By the way, the single vineyard wines (Solstice and Wallula) look very interesting."

I agree.

WineDavid was my Boss!

erinnstreeter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages erinnstreeter

In for one. My first wine woot. I like the sweet Rieslings, and they make nice gifts.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

erinnstreeter wrote:In for one. My first wine woot. I like the sweet Rieslings, and they make nice gifts.

welcome and thank you! Cheers to seeing you on the boards again!

WineDavid was my Boss!

thomasmikebailey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasmikebailey

Thanks for the feedback Greg, I wish I could have Nicolas(our winemaker) weigh-in with you today, but he is in Germany at the Prowein expositiion. Im sure he would love to give you more information on the ratio aspects of the wine's production and discuss all things Riesling!

Also, I would love to see how the wine tastes to your senses vs. the technical components. Nicolas is crafting some great wines here.

The Solstice and Wallula Bio are AWESOME,,, thanks for looking into us. Let me know if you need anything,,
Best Tom

tom.bailey@rieslingrules.com

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

WOW---MN, IL, MO, but no IA??? For Riesling??? Your killin' me here!

pdaves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdaves

Hey, Tennessee isn't on that list of states you say can ship wine to, but it is on the list for the two urls at the bottom of the description. Tennessee does allow shipments--I've ordered them and you've even had Tennessee on some of your wine lists. Is this a mistake? If so, you are limiting your market!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
pdaves wrote:Hey, Tennessee isn't on that list of states you say can ship wine to, but it is on the list for the two urls at the bottom of the description. Tennessee does allow shipments--I've ordered them and you've even had Tennessee on some of your wine lists. Is this a mistake? If so, you are limiting your market!

Please read the previous 6 questions and responses on this topic.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jvanasco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvanasco

These are stellar. They have them at Trader Joe's for either 7.99 or 8.99 a bottle. This costs about the same , but is delivered without tax -- double win.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
thomasmikebailey wrote:Hi Guys,,, this is Thomas Bailey from Pacific Rim Winemakers...

It is a very refreshing wine, lightly sweet on the front end, a lush mid-palate feel - finishing crip and finsihes off dry. The lower Ph gives an overall impression of subtle to little sweetnes, balanced with a lively acidity which pairs nicely with all manners of cuisine or enjoyed on its own on the patio. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for weighing in. In for 1; I'll take a bottle or two to my cousin's for Easter dinner.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

tiffaniep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffaniep

I hate stupid Utah beverage laws...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tiffaniep wrote:I hate stupid Utah beverage laws...

But yay for blaming the right people! Thank you!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Clue, TT?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

This is my first time thinking about ordering wine. I was hoping someone could clarify why woot suggests using a business address for shipping?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Lish64 wrote:This is my first time thinking about ordering wine. I was hoping someone could clarify why woot suggests using a business address for shipping?

Adult signature required. So, if you're not home, they won't leave it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmpdelos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmpdelos
Lish64 wrote:This is my first time thinking about ordering wine. I was hoping someone could clarify why woot suggests using a business address for shipping?

Because wine shipments must be signed for by someone over 21 which is often an issue with home addresses unless you're a house wife/husband, are retired, or work from home like I do :-)

(edit: oh well, late again)

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

would like to try but not a good deal on price. Thanks though.

labrosse0529

quality posts: 0 Private Messages labrosse0529
SlyBevel wrote:I can't order wine out here, but I bought this riesling at the liquor store a while back.

My Dad's a sucker for rieslings, so when there was a thing going on at his place, I took the bottle intending to share it with him.

Well we didn't get to it that night, but he ended up getting through it. Without me.

So keep it all for yourself.

i am a wine "virgin" and have ordered this wondering what can i expect?

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

labrosse0529 wrote:i am a wine "virgin" and have ordered this wondering what can i expect?

thanks for ordering! this is a great bottle to start your wine-journey with. the winery gave a great description yesterday...

WineDavid was my Boss!

karadi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages karadi

Where is my wine ?!

It's been almost 10 days, no shipping information yet. What's the ETA on this ?

CBank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CBank
karadi wrote:Where is my wine ?!

It's been almost 10 days, no shipping information yet. What's the ETA on this ?

I'm wondering the same thing.

bendahl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bendahl
CBank wrote:I'm wondering the same thing.

I just received a tracking number a few minutes ago!

CBank

bendahl wrote:I just received a tracking number a few minutes ago!

Still waiting here. I haven't received anything beyond the initial order confirmation email.

Anyone else in the same boat?

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless
CBank wrote:Still waiting here. I haven't received anything beyond the initial order confirmation email.

Yep.

fjordless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fjordless
CBank wrote:Still waiting here. I haven't received anything beyond the initial order confirmation email.

Yep.

Sorry for the double post!

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

Sorry about that. I don't see that you've sent an email into service@woot.com yet, so I'll follow up with you via PM to let you know what's going on.

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

fjordless wrote:Yep.

Same as CBank, not seeing an email from you yet, so I'll let you know via PM what's going on.

Edit: If anyone else needs tracking or an update on their order, please send an email to service@woot.com.

CBank

blaculadave wrote:Sorry about that. I don't see that you've sent an email into service@woot.com yet, so I'll follow up with you via PM to let you know what's going on.

Thanks for the help!

lkwcpa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lkwcpa
texacaliali wrote:thanks for ordering! this is a great bottle to start your wine-journey with. the winery gave a great description yesterday...

A lovely wine, I should have bought more!

flowdergirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flowdergirl

ahhhh FEDEX strikes again!
I usually miss their deliveries for some reason (probably the 21-up thing) so I had it sent to their not so convenient pick up location. Then when I went there on the weekend it hadn't arrived yet - grr since I'd gotten a friend to drive me over. So then I went the following weekend via two trains and it had already been sent back!
Why is this monarchy still in existence?? >

PS I really don't see why Amazon hasn't gotten their own shipping service yet.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Had some of this foe Easter dinner and really liked it! Not too sweet for me, and very bold favors, I tasted lots of apples.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

auntidafry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntidafry

What happened to my wine??? I ordered it, was charged for it, then my card was credited and I am DISAPPOINTED! What happened?