1 2006 Domenico Amador County Aglianico
1 2007 Domenico Amador County Barbera
1 2007 Domenico Amador County Primitivo
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Wow, no comments. Everyone seems pretty mum about this. I am particularly interested in the Aglianico; new varietal for me.

Will we have winemaker participation? This would go a long way to helping me make my purchase.

If so, what is the history of the grape? Are these wines good for aging? If so, how long? Can you describe the Anglianico? I see there is a high alcohol content (15.4%), can you speak on this? What grape does Anglianico most closely relate as far as flavor and texture? Can you tell us more specifically the percentage of American to French Oak used?

Thank you very much if you are participating and answer some of my questions.

CT Updating, please wait....

chipgreen

quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen

I've never had an Aglianico but just recently purchased my first bottle. While researching the varietal, I read that this is a wine that needs to be aged, so even though it's a 2006 vintage it's probably just rounding into form now and should continue to improve over the next year or two. Can probably cellar for another 4-5 years before it starts to go downhill but that's all speculation on my part. Hopefully the winery will chime in with a more definitive answer.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Have had the Barbera & Primativo. Both are very good and are REALLY meant to be paired with food. The barbera compares quite favorably to Scott Harvey's. I'd rank it slightly higher than the mountain selection (red label), but it's not as good as the reserve (white label). Lots of acidity but nicely balanced by fruit and slight oak. Will post more detailed notes on this and the primativo if i can find them.

Edit: It's not the same vintage, but here are my notes on the '06 Barbera.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Let's get to the REAL question ... Why is the bottle of Anglianico noticeably fuller than the other 2?

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

The Primitivo is the only one of these specific vintages I saw on their website & it's $30. All the rest of the "Italian Varietals Collection" is likewise priced so this seems like a buy 2, get 1 free kind of offer.

WD ... yet another case were Lab Rats might help you make a sale ... I'm jus' sayin' ...

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

It seems to me that lab rats went by the wayside about the same time that Amazon bought woot. Another side effect of corporatization, as was that eternal woot-off recently.

pinotfile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinotfile

Primitivo? Just call it zin. And the state of CT thanks woot for not subjecting it to this offer.

Cyradia

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Cyradia
spdrcr05 wrote:

WD ... yet another case were Lab Rats might help you make a sale ... I'm jus' sayin' ...

Cosign!

There have been many times I've been on the fence and really wished for some lab rat reports to help make the decision.

justinacton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justinacton

Finally had an epiphany regarding the lab rats- and unfortunatey if I am correct, we will not be seeing a return.  I own a restaurant (i know different rules govern my work then retail wine sales, but similar principals in laws) where we do beer and wine. I have spent a lot of time proactively working with the ABC (alcohol beverage control) to stay within the laws of the liquids.  You cannot give away alcohol for free or sell it below cost, and it's my suspicion that Woot was not working within the laws, or heading into grey territory when they were doing that wonderfully helpful labrat program, in which they would mail out free wine and hopefully get people to write a review to assist decision making by Wine.Woot users who use this forum.  Likely amazons lawyers shut it down quicly to avoid legal issues.  I miss my rats, but if that's the reason, I am happy they obey laws (as is my wallet as I buy less.)  Barberas and Zins are both amazing for light itialian chicken dinners (average dinner) and I will buy based on trying the new varietal.  
Sent from my iPhone

boylan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages boylan
justinacton wrote:Finally had an epiphany regarding the lab rats- and unfortunatey if I am correct, we will not be seeing a return.  I own a restaurant (i know different rules govern my work then retail wine sales, but similar principals in laws) where we do beer and wine. I have spent a lot of time proactively working with the ABC (alcohol beverage control) to stay within the laws of the liquids.  You cannot give away alcohol for free or sell it below cost, and it's my suspicion that Woot was not working within the laws, or heading into grey territory when they were doing that wonderfully helpful labrat program, in which they would mail out free wine and hopefully get people to write a review to assist decision making by Wine.Woot users who use this forum.  Likely amazons lawyers shut it down quicly to avoid legal issues.  I miss my rats, but if that's the reason, I am happy they obey laws (as is my wallet as I buy less.)  Barberas and Zins are both amazing for light itialian chicken dinners (average dinner) and I will buy based on trying the new varietal.  
Sent from my iPhone

I think that has to vary based on state law. Certainly it is routine to give bottles away for review purposes - Wine Spectator doesn't buy the wine they review. In Minnesota you can give away samples of wine and beer.

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman

Went tasting here a while back and overall thought the wines were hot and rather overpriced. At the woot price, though, this is interesting. The wine I purchased last time was the 2005 Aglianico, with the thought that it needed a couple more years to age before really being in its prime. Unfortunately I don't remember the Barbera or Primitivo (or even if they were pouring them that day).

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dominickc7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dominickc7

Hi Dominick Chirichillo

Owner Winemaker form Domenico Winery

dominickc7

hogfatt wrote:Wow, no comments. Everyone seems pretty mum about this. I am particularly interested in the Aglianico; new varietal for me.

Will we have winemaker participation? This would go a long way to helping me make my purchase.

If so, what is the history of the grape? Are these wines good for aging? If so, how long? Can you describe the Anglianico? I see there is a high alcohol content (15.4%), can you speak on this? What grape does Anglianico most closely relate as far as flavor and texture? Can you tell us more specifically the percentage of American to French Oak used?

Thank you very much if you are participating and answer some of my questions.

dominickc7

WINEMAKER’S NOTES
Originally brought to Italy by the Greeks, according to ancient Roman author Pliny the Elder, some of Rome’s most highly rated wines were made of the black grape, Aglianico (it is pronounced with a silent ‘g’: "ah-LYAH-nee-koe"). With this unique California bottling, Domenico Winery showcases this venerable variety.
THE WINE
“A robust wine with firm tannins, high acidity and a LONG-DRYING FINISH???, our medium to full-bodied Aglianico exhibits aromas and flavors of cherry cola and black currant, with barrel spice lingering in the background,” “This wine IS a perfect match for rich meats such as lamb. The tannins work nicely with a heavily marbled rib eye or marinated roasted vegetables.”
The Alcohol shows high but doesn't taste hot plenty of fruit well balanced.

Will age well up to 5-7 years

You will not be disapponited, with this wine.

Dominick

dominickc7

spdrcr05 wrote:Let's get to the REAL question ... Why is the bottle of Anglianico noticeably fuller than the other 2?

The Aglianico is definatly fuller, deeper berry fruit and flavors, good tannins will hold up to Lamb Shanks, Osso Buco, hard cheeses such as Reggiano Parmagiano. BUY SOME and Enjoy.

Dominick

dominickc7

chukon99 wrote:Have had the Barbera & Primativo. Both are very good and are REALLY meant to be paired with food. The barbera compares quite favorably to Scott Harvey's. I'd rank it slightly higher than the mountain selection (red label), but it's not as good as the reserve (white label). Lots of acidity but nicely balanced by fruit and slight oak. Will post more detailed notes on this and the primativo if i can find them.

Edit: It's not the same vintage, but here are my notes on the '06 Barbera.

Hi Chuckon99

If you like the BArbera and Primitivo you will love the Aglianaico.

Dominickc7

dominickc7

One more note about the history of Aglianico. It is considered one of the oldest grapes in Italy. Traced back over 2000 years grows predominatly in the Compania region of Italy, Naples, Amalfi Coast, it actually grew in Pompee.

If you are Barbera fans put June 9th on your calander Domenico Winery will be pouring 3 vertical vintages 2006, 2007 and 2008 at the second Barbera festival in Amador County. This event should be a blast.

Dominickc7

hogfatt

Thank you for your input Dominick. Do you know roughly how many producers of Anglianico there are in CA or the US?

Also you mention ages 5-7 years, so you are suggesting the '06 is in its prime now?

chipgreen

Hi Dominick, thanks for stopping by to answer questions. I have one about the Aglianico - I noticed that the 2005 vintage has a little over 8% Petite Sirah added to it whereas the 2006 is 100% Aglianico.

Were the 2005 yields lower to where you needed to stretch the Aglianico to meet production goals or was there some other thought process that led to the inclusion of PS in the 2005 but not the 2006?

Also, do you have pH and TA stats available for the Barbera? Thanks!

dominickc7

chipgreen wrote:Hi Dominick, thanks for stopping by to answer questions. I have one about the Aglianico - I noticed that the 2005 vintage has a little over 8% Petite Sirah added to it whereas the 2006 is 100% Aglianico.

Were the 2005 yields lower to where you needed to stretch the Aglianico to meet production goals or was there some other thought process that led to the inclusion of PS in the 2005 but not the 2006?

Also, do you have pH and TA stats available for the Barbera? Thanks!

Hi Chipgreen

As you know every vintage is different the 2005 needed a little something after several bench trails I chosse the Petite Sirah.

The 2006 had it all going on, full body, good fruit, stucture, nice tannins and in my opinion it did not need any blending, and believe me I am a big proponate of blending, so give it a try.

Dominick

dominickc7

dominickc7 wrote:Hi Chipgreen

As you know every vintage is different the 2005 needed a little something after several bench trails I chosse the Petite Sirah.

The 2006 had it all going on, full body, good fruit, stucture, nice tannins and in my opinion it did not need any blending, and believe me I am a big proponate of blending, so give it a try.

Dominick

The Ph and Ta stats for the Barbera are avilable but in the lab and working from home today, I will see if I can retrive them for you maybe not today tho.

Dominick

sdfreedive

quality posts: 21 Private Messages sdfreedive

Tried this winery last year at fundraising dinner. Wasn't terribly impressed found a lot of the wines lacked balanced with some hot ones in the bunch. Of the three we had, cant remember the other two they were that boring, the zin was the best and the one we hit the hardest.

chipgreen

dominickc7 wrote:Hi Chipgreen

Dominick

Thanks for the reply. You've convinced me, I'm in for a set!

"Last wooter to woot: chipgreen"

boylan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages boylan

SF Chronicle awards:
In 2012, 2007 Amador County Primitivo $30.00 Bronze
In 2010, 2006 Amador County Aglianico $30.00 Gold (other red blends)

The 2006 Primitivo won a Silver in the 2010 competition.

The Barbera either wasn't entered or didn't rate.

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida
boylan wrote:I think that has to vary based on state law.

I agree, as I've certainly been to free wine and beer tastings before at wineries and shops...although I suppose it's not impossible they were just breaking the law, unwillfully or not...

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Domenico's tasting room is next to ours in Sutter Creek. I trade our wines for thiers. Jana and I have greatly enjoyed thier wines, especially with dinner. They are a welcome addition to the tasting rooms you can try in Sutter Creek.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

A GIROLAMO AGLIANICO 2008 from Italy goes for $16 here.Is your version bone dry like this one?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
mudman2007 wrote:A GIROLAMO AGLIANICO 2008 from Italy goes for $16 here.Is your version bone dry like this one?

.3 is dry, our dear trolling friend.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Domenico's tasting room is next to ours in Sutter Creek. I trade our wines for thiers. Jana and I have greatly enjoyed thier wines, especially with dinner. They are a welcome addition to the tasting rooms you can try in Sutter Creek.

Enough to convince me. I'm in!

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Sunday night clue?

hogfatt

In for 1, could have sold me on two or three.

Have to get new varietals on my century club listing. Also have to sit on this for about 7 more months so my wife can join me. I have already felt the heat for trying the Praxis Lagrein and a Monastrell from Spain without her lol.

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
hogfatt wrote:In for 1, could have sold me on two or three.

Have to get new varietals on my century club listing. Also have to sit on this for about 7 more months so my wife can join me. I have already felt the heat for trying the Praxis Lagrein and a Monastrell from Spain without her lol.

Sitting on the Praxis well. How is it drinking?

CT

chipgreen

hogfatt wrote:In for 1, could have sold me on two or three.

What did you think of the Lagrein? According to CT the drinking window was through 2011 but I still have my bottle. Is it really "time to drink up" or do you think I could sit on it for another year or so?

I also just purchased a couple bottles of 2009 Juan Gil Monastrell for $12.79 apiece from westchesterwine.com in case you're looking to restock for the wife.

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Sitting on the Praxis well. How is it drinking?

Heh... beat me to it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 539 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Sunday night clue?

Sorry, I can only do those when the wine sells out early enough that I can do it around 9pm before I play regular Woot! Clue! over on Woot (or another retail site).

Look for Woot! Clue! though at 11pm CST Su-Th to guess the Mo-Fr sale on some site. I move it around but there's always a quality post in the Discussion box on WOOT to tell you where it is.

◄••• Click • • • Or Click here •••► How to Play

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry, I can only do those when the wine sells out early enough that I can do it around 9pm before I play regular Woot! Clue! over on Woot (or another retail site).

Look for Woot! Clue! though at 11pm CST Su-Th to guess the Mo-Fr sale on some site. I move it around but there's always a quality post in the Discussion box on WOOT to tell you where it is.

I followed that tonight. Sunday night used to be the regular clue night around these parts. Can't blame me for trying...

hogfatt

rjquillin wrote:Sitting on the Praxis well. How is it drinking?

I did a small write-up/critique on the discussion for The Praxis Offer. In short, I believe the Lagrein is drinking beautifully right now.