2 2007 England Crest Syrah
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offers:
3/25/10 (2006)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

missed first sucker, but now i can sleep!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: JOATMON
Speed to first woot: 0m 19.960s
Last wooter to woot: szecsei

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

Only have no room in the cellar for one and regretting it already.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

$5 more than last time, but IIRC in general 07 is better than 06 by more than 10%!

Great stuff, but can I ask those who've drunk a bunch of these: Anyone get 'mineral' in the flavour profile? I like that in a good Rhone Syrah...

These riper than 06, or just subtler oak?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

At least it's two of each. Don't have either and don't see them on Peter's site yet. Git 'em now, taste and hope for them to reappear in a woot-off!

CT

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

what is the drinking window on these? and what are the differences between the two? i'm looking forward to comparing them myself, but in case someone wants to share their experiences, you have a captive audience.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

This math doesn't work, or does it? It is 1:15am and I can barely keep my eyes open.

"100% French oak, 7% new"

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
mschauber wrote:This math doesn't work, or does it? It is 1:15am and I can barely keep my eyes open.

"100% French oak, 7% new"

I'm guessing "French" and "new" are not mutually exclusive.

Try adding of which is between "7%" and "new."

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

mschauber

mikegberg wrote:I'm guessing "French" and "new" are not mutually exclusive.

And we finally have a definition of 'is' ;) lol..

Thank you, that makes much more sense now.

Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger before going to sleep...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
szecsei wrote:what is the drinking window on these? and what are the differences between the two? i'm looking forward to comparing them myself, but in case someone wants to share their experiences, you have a captive audience.

The 06' estate syrah was much more fruit forward and was in my opinion a great bottle of wine. Nice fruit and but not overwhelming. I thought it was better on its own than with food. The blueberry shined in this.

The 06' England crest syrah had a similar feel but was more restrained and some more typical subtle syrah notes. Earth, leather etc. And I thought it went great with a nice steak dinner.

I would imagine that the 07's will follow a similar flavor profile but Peter can confirm.

in for 1.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mikegberg wrote:I'm guessing "French" and "new" are not mutually exclusive.

^^ This

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
szecsei wrote:what is the drinking window on these? and what are the differences between the two? i'm looking forward to comparing them myself, but in case someone wants to share their experiences, you have a captive audience.

I would say that the Estate Syrah is close to prime enjoyability now through 2014. There's a lot of aromatic complexity, and the texture is rich but smooth. The EnglandCrest is brawnier and should continue to improve over the next couple of years, then plateau for several more. It is bold, unmistakably Syrah, with a big, chewy texture.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
SonomaBouliste wrote:I would say that the Estate Syrah is close to prime enjoyability now through 2014. There's a lot of aromatic complexity, and the texture is rich but smooth. The EnglandCrest is brawnier and should continue to improve over the next couple of years, then plateau for several more. It is bold, unmistakably Syrah, with a big, chewy texture.

Not a Syrah fan, very little room in storage...But 4 bottles of Wellington...I'll bite for 1!

CT Updating, please wait....

cortot20

Peter,
I dragged my family along on a sonoma wine tasting weekend for my birthday in the fall. Thank you for your hospitality and for spending some time with us and helping my mother to appreciate the industry.

She has since mentioned your winery as her favorite stop multiple times.

CT

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:The 06' estate syrah was much more fruit forward and was in my opinion a great bottle of wine. Nice fruit and but not overwhelming. I thought it was better on its own than with food. The blueberry shined in this.

The 06' England crest syrah had a similar feel but was more restrained and some more typical subtle syrah notes. Earth, leather etc. And I thought it went great with a nice steak dinner.

I would imagine that the 07's will follow a similar flavor profile but Peter can confirm.

in for 1.

I think your comparison is accurate, and the two vineyards' character parallel each other quite consistently year to year. 2007 was an awesome vintage for us, and these two wines are emblematic of the wonderful weather conditions we had during harvest. The wines are very well knit, rich, aromatic and flavorful. IMHO, The hallmark of the 2007 vintage reds is the abundance of rich, round, tannins - that makes for wines that are good young and old. The alcohol levels are generally lower with our '07s also.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:The 06' estate syrah was much more fruit forward and was in my opinion a great bottle of wine. Nice fruit and but not overwhelming. I thought it was better on its own than with food. The blueberry shined in this.

in for 1.

Willing to part with one of each or should I get my own?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Willing to part with one of each or should I get my own?

You got a deal. I was going to seek out a home for the two since I have too much wine at the moment and am part of peters wine club and will probably get these again in a club shipment.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:You got a deal. I was going to seek out a home for the two since I have too much wine at the moment and am part of peters wine club and will probably get these again in a club shipment.

Fantastic. I owe you $15 plus the Syrah I'm stashing for you.

PW: long time no see (except for the woot off)! How are things?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SonomaBouliste

I'm off to bed. Leave your questions here and I'll reply tomorrow.

duncan6894

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duncan6894
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm off to bed. Leave your questions here and I'll reply tomorrow.

Quick question. I've got one bottle of the 2003 petite syrah left for some reason. Is this still in a drinkable state, or probably not?

mschauber

SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm off to bed. Leave your questions here and I'll reply tomorrow.

Same here, but not before making my 50th Woot purchase and my 29th Wine.Woot purchase.

Goodnight.

--
My CT

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

Coincidentally, I've been sipping some delicious 2007 Wellington merlot waiting for tonight's offer - and still reeling from reading over 200 comments on the Cavedoni balsamic today. Now that I see Peter's assessment of the 2007 syrahs as an "awesome" vintage, my finger moved from "I want one" to "I want three!". I'll find the room for them somewhere!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Ah, a great start to the day! First sucker on a Wellington, a shower and breakfast already. Now I'm off to a date with a GoCar.

I'll check in this afternoon to see if it's close to selling out.

Adios!

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
JOATMON wrote:Ah, a great start to the day! First sucker on a Wellington, a shower and breakfast already. Now I'm off to a date with a GoCar.

I'll check in this afternoon to see if it's close to selling out.

Adios!

Are you overseas again?

I'm deciding whether a single pair will be enough for me or if I need two. There's some order sharing going on here...other Bay Area peoples could get a half set from me if they want.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
klezman wrote:Are you overseas again?

I'm deciding whether a single pair will be enough for me or if I need two. There's some order sharing going on here...other Bay Area peoples could get a half set from me if they want.

I'd be interested in half a set I think. Let me sleep on it and let you know in the morning if that's okay. I really want the full set but don't think I can justify the cost right now. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

ToneDaBass

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToneDaBass

Damn, I was hoping they'd maybe do another round of balsamic today, since it sold out so fast yesterday.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
CAGrl wrote:I'd be interested in half a set I think. Let me sleep on it and let you know in the morning if that's okay. I really want the full set but don't think I can justify the cost right now. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

That would leave you filling out the second set...which would be perfect!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:I think your comparison is accurate, and the two vineyards' character parallel each other quite consistently year to year. 2007 was an awesome vintage for us, and these two wines are emblematic of the wonderful weather conditions we had during harvest. The wines are very well knit, rich, aromatic and flavorful. IMHO, The hallmark of the 2007 vintage reds is the abundance of rich, round, tannins - that makes for wines that are good young and old. The alcohol levels are generally lower with our '07s also.

Hi Peter! I love your Syrah, as you know. and am back in Cali so maybe later next week we can play some Boule!!!
and to be clear... can you also likewise compare each 07 wine directly with its 06 counterpart, in any ways we and you might find enlightening? These are better, or just different?

Any French appellations this might be closest to?

kainers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kainers

In for 2 :O

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Well, this is an autobuy for me, in for 3!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

bye bye wine woot, it's been a great time right up until you were taken over by that mega .com company,

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm in because it's Wellington, and what's one more order I don't have room or money for anyway right?

I would be willing to split though if any of my splitters were interested.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Peter, Thanks for your participation.

I bought 2 sets of your 2006 Syrah and really liked them. Fruitiness was superb. (In fact just finished the last one..)

I do recall the oak being quite prominent.

Could you compare/contrast the oak treatment of the 2006 vs. the 2007?

Thanks.

Is it broke or just fractured?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Peter,

How long would recommend for decanting on these, if at all?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

Huzzah!!! You can ship to NH now… In for THREE as a thank you!

I would ask, what changed or how did it happen etc? There are a few other wineries I would like to get on the ship to NH bandwagon, and wondering how hard is it to get the license etc….

Thanks!!!!

quickdraw2551

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quickdraw2551

It's Wellington and it's Syrah, 'nuff said.

In for 2.

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord

Wellington Yum, in for 2!

334 bottles from Wine.woot
17 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

kevlarklh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevlarklh

Come on, it's Wellington! What more do you need to know? I have bought nearly every Wellington offering here and been impressed with them all. Got 3

swmbo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages swmbo

What a wonderful thing to wake up to! Wellington is my favorite - in for 3.