Poll: How do you like your beef cooked?
  • 13.9% - Rare 70
  • 45.9% - Medium Rare 231
  • 18.9% - Medium 95
  • 9.1% - Medium Well 46
  • 7% - Well Done 35
  • 5.2% - I don’t eat red meat 26
503 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Rare, but sometimes I like my beef not cooked

offgridmanpolktn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages offgridmanpolktn

Like I tell them when we hit the steak house, just get it back up to blood temperature. Nothing makes meat tough like over cooking it. This is even true for pork, and if you do your research you'll find that the rumors about salmonella are basically urban legend. So enjoy it pink to and feel it melt in your mouth.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
offgridmanpolktn wrote:Like I tell them when we hit the steak house, just get it back up to blood temperature. Nothing makes meat tough like over cooking it. This is even true for pork, and if you do your research you'll find that the rumors about salmonella are basically urban legend. So enjoy it pink to and feel it melt in your mouth.

I agree with beef and lamb, but prefer pork a medium rare pink rather than rare. The historical issue with pork was not salmonella - which can be in any uncooked food - but trichinosis, caused by several species of parasitic roundworm.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
rpm wrote:I agree with beef and lamb, but prefer pork a medium rare pink rather than rare. The historical issue with pork was not salmonella - which can be in any uncooked food - but trichinosis, caused by several species of parasitic roundworm.

My family has been in the pork business for generations. I agree you may not want to eat it rare (cold in middle), but medium rare is just fine, nice and pink and JUICY! Dried out "white" pork is such a travesty!

And if you haven't tried Berkshire pork, you really should. After years (the 1970's and 1980's) of breeding to remove the fat from pigs to meet customer demands for "low fat food", we ended up with a tasteless "other white meat". Quality farmers and producers today are working more and more with Berkshires, which have a wonderful marbling to the meat. The meat is also darker in color, closer to the color of beef! Mmmmmm Delicious!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rpm wrote:prefer pork a medium rare pink rather than rare. The historical issue with pork was not salmonella - which can be in any uncooked food - but trichinosis

I actually tend to go for medium on pork- that's as far as my brain will let me go.

I do rare tenderloin of beef, but otherwise I prefer a perfect medium rare- which is 135F after resting. [a few degress cooler is fine too]

[rant]
Unfortunately there is some cabal of misinformation [made worse by people who go look at their old 1950s cookbooks and then post disinfo on the Internet] that makes people think 145F internal temperature is "Medium Rare" for beef. Egads it's not and you know that the second you cut into it and the protein in the center is well on the path of denaturing and the myoglobin is losing it's red.
[/rant]

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ajrod27 wrote:Rare, but sometimes I like my beef not cooked

My standard reply is "pass it over a book of matches".

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Run the cow by the table, I'll cut my piece off and eat it.

Seared on the outside, aged beef needs little cooking to be superb. If it isn't high enough quality, never mind, I'll eat the fish, sauteed in wine..

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I like my beef medium rare. One of my friends likes beef cooked well done, and I lived with him for a year and a half. It was interesting trying to maintain a balance of getting the meat cooked for the both of us. I kept lecturing him on how much more delicious it is LESS well done and he kept being stubborn. So I slowly started decreasing the temperature of his beef, acclimating him to the lesser doneness levels. One day, all on his own, he figured it out and started ordering stuff medium.

I'm so proud.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
coynedj wrote:My standard reply is "pass it over a book of matches".

Should the matches be ignited? How about, "Just drive the steer through, and I'll grab off a hunk as he goes by."

EDIT: Next time, I'll read ahead. At least mine said steer, not cow.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:...he kept being stubborn...

Pot, kettle?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ddeuddeg wrote:Should the matches be ignited?

Of course not. That would be overdoing it.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

jonw747

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonw747
offgridmanpolktn wrote:Like I tell them when we hit the steak house, just get it back up to blood temperature.

Also known as rare warm red center.

A cold red center by definition implies an internal temperature below 98.6F !!!

The USDA, imo, skews cooking guidelines, recipes, and cooking shows because of the concerns of insuring food safety - rather than providing accurate information.

And if you cook with a thermometer, the resting temperature is useless. What you need to know is the temperature for when to pull the food off the heat, which alas varies with the thickness and cooking intensity.

For typical grilling/roasting, I'll cook to 105 for rare, and 110 for medium rare. With a thick pork chop, I shoot for 135, and 142 for a pork roast.

But nobody can get away with recommending temperatures like these because nobody can guarantee the safety of the food supply.

phydough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phydough

Bring me the cow ill carve off what i want and ride the rest home!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Three words: black and blue.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

andreeais22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andreeais22

I prefer to eat the beef well done, with wine and all kind of condiments. Still, chicken meat is my favourite. Nothing compares with it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

My ex would order prime rib well done and then dip in ketchup. Needless to say, that's one reason she is my ex and I have coerced my wife from medium well, down to medium.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Three words: black and blue.

A Frenchman taught me how to order, and you hit it exactly! But this appears entirely too done to be considered B&B . However, if there is any left after the first sitting, are you to reheat a cut overcooked to begin with?

CT