bradsbabe


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe
hokienutzz wrote:Crap. was reading the front page when the button stopped jumping and went to SO...



Same here. double. crap.

dragonfly1209


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dragonfly1209
inkycatz wrote:



Yep, that's me right now...well, I have more hair and I'm not yellow but that look - yep.

brettstr42


quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettstr42
WaltW wrote:The West Coast crowd is not going to be happy when they wake up and see the big yellow SO button.



I am that upset...sad....depressed west coast crowd after I woke up. Damn!!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
brettstr42 wrote:I am that upset...sad....depressed west coast crowd after I woke up. Damn!!



Which is why you look at Wine.Woot around 10:01 PM PT before going to bed!! Less chance of a Doh! moment and more of a moment.



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

outdoorslife


quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

NOOOOO!!!!! And this time Stillman is shipping to NH. Its just not fair. Those damn meetings… I had all of 2 min to look on WW and read some comments… And I come to be in for three and its all SO.

Sooo not fair…. sigh…. Is there any more of this coming to WW ????

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
outdoorslife wrote:NOOOOO!!!!! And this time Stillman is shipping to NH. Its just not fair. Those damn meetings… I had all of 2 min to look on WW and read some comments… And I come to be in for three and its all SO.

Sooo not fair…. sigh…. Is there any more of this coming to WW ????



Not likely... He made 111 cases and sold 55 of them this morning. My guess is stillman will be keeping the rest for wine club, restaurants, etc... as he previously mentioned.

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
outdoorslife wrote:NOOOOO!!!!! And this time Stillman is shipping to NH. Its just not fair. Those damn meetings… I had all of 2 min to look on WW and read some comments… And I come to be in for three and its all SO.

Sooo not fair…. sigh…. Is there any more of this coming to WW ????



I better not . . . as it is I will have less than I did last year for my email club, local restaurants, cage dancing minions, other minions . . .

liverman


quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
North316 wrote:As much as I enjoy Stillman and as many great things as I have heard about his wines, I still have to pass. My storage is way over capacity right now and I am on the lookout for some semi-sweet whites. Why does everyone insist on making everything dry? Nearly every white I have seen on here in the last 2-3 months has been dry, if a semi-sweet comes up, it is paired with something dry in a mixed pack. Enough ranting I guess, my wallet is safe for another day.



Everyone has a different palate...that's why there are so many different types of wine!!

Bone dry wines (< 4 g/L or 0.4%) are only one style.

Here is a trick (Stillman - stop reading ) - if you like your wines sweeter, then add a bit of sugar to the open bottle or glass - a pinch. This is a technique used (and approved) in Germany called Süssreserve - adding a bit of sugar or the unfermented grape juice into the wine after fermentation and before bottling to increase the residual sugar level.

Some gastronomes will regard this with horror, just as they would eschew adding salt to a dish served them by a master chef. In my opinion, your are the consumer and it's your wine - you paid for it. If you want to adjust it a bit to suit your taste - go right ahead.

This next part may invite some flames...

I encourage adding sugar to wine if it suits you. The advantage - it helps you access wines you never would have tasted and develop a more knowledgeable palate.

Understand the winemaker may feel insulted since they went to great trouble to make a balanced wine with so little residual sweetness...so don't do it where they can see you ;-)

When I was living in Gremany I would rarely touch anything without the "Trocken" label (< 4 g/L) - the dry crisp wine with the very delicate notes of the fruit and terroir peeking through paired wonderfully with fat-heavy German foods and was wonderful to drink all evening around the fire with friends as there was no cloying heaviness that often comes with sweeter wines. Here in the USA, I can hardly find a white wine dry enough

Regards,

Greg

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
liverman wrote:Everyone has a different palate...that's why there are so many different types of wine!!

Bone dry wines (< 4 g/L or 0.4%) are only one style.

Here is a trick (Stillman - stop reading ) - if you like your wines sweeter, then add a bit of sugar to the open bottle or glass - a pinch. This is a technique used (and approved) in Germany called Süssreserve - adding a bit of sugar or the unfermented grape juice into the wine after fermentation and before bottling to increase the residual sugar level.

Some gastronomes will regard this with horror, just as they would eschew adding salt to a dish served them by a master chef. In my opinion, your are the consumer and it's your wine - you paid for it. If you want to adjust it a bit to suit your taste - go right ahead.

This next part may invite some flames...

I encourage adding sugar to wine if it suits you. The advantage - it helps you access wines you never would have tasted and develop a more knowledgeable palate.

Understand the winemaker may feel insulted since they went to great trouble to make a balanced wine with so little residual sweetness...so don't do it where they can see you ;-)

When I was living in Gremany I would rarely touch anything without the "Trocken" label (< 4 g/L) - the dry crisp wine with the very delicate notes of the fruit and terroir peeking through paired wonderfully with fat-heavy German foods and was wonderful to drink all evening around the fire with friends as there was no cloying heaviness that often comes with sweeter wines. Here in the USA, I can hardly find a white wine dry enough



Totally agree. I could have written that myself, if I wasn't smoking speed right now . . . I mean if I wasn't 6 and 7 years old when I lived in Germany! I have actually squeezed a 25% sugar Syrah berry into a taste of the dry Pink Zeppelin in the tasting room for someone, though it's easier to add cane sugar. You have to be able to weigh, or add by volume by trial and error, to get the right dosage for a given wine (and your palate). Speaking of weigh, where did my powder scale go??

HeartbreakRidge


quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge

Glad I got in on this! Would not mind trying the Riesling either.

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
HeartbreakRidge wrote:Glad I got in on this! Would not mind trying the Riesling either.



Better email me soon! stillmanb at aol dot com! same deal as the Abalone, above.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Wait a sec, I got caught up running errands and missed out. Boo.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
North316 wrote:Why does everyone insist on making everything dry?



Maybe because sweet red or white wine gives some of us screamin' headaches - body revolutionary headaches on a migrain level!!!

Dry is Mmmmmmmmm....so good without a revolution taking place, even after an entire bottle!

sfabian37


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

Congrats on the Sell Out Stillman!

And to all of the other West Coasters... Check WW at 10PM and you wont have to worry about Sell Outs like this! lol

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
stillmanbrown wrote:My pleasure!
Tablas Creek says a third of the GB in CA is in SLO. They're also Vermentino pioneers, btw, though of course it's not a rhone varietal. I just might have the first Verdejo in Paso, not to be confused with Verdelho of course!



Also not to be confused with Pendejo

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
dragonfly1209 wrote:Yep, that's me right now...well, I have more hair and I'm not yellow but that look - yep.



the jaundice is how you know he's an alcoholic.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

CatherineB


quality posts: 3 Private Messages CatherineB

Whew! Saw this just as I was heading into a meeting this morning and didn't have time to order, now the tempation is gone for one more day.

I really, REALLY wanted this but just can't afford a divorce lawyer right now! Thank you, Wooters!!

mdtisdale


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdtisdale

First time poster, many times WW buyer. Bummed this one sold out before I bought, that will teach me to wait!

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
bhodilee wrote:Also not to be confused with Pendejo



I made a wine called Los Pendejos twice?!?

sulakdd


quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd
stillmanbrown wrote:Totally agree. I could have written that myself, if I wasn't smoking speed right now . . . I mean if I wasn't 6 and 7 years old when I lived in Germany! I have actually squeezed a 25% sugar Syrah berry into a taste of the dry Pink Zeppelin in the tasting room for someone, though it's easier to add cane sugar. You have to be able to weigh, or add by volume by trial and error, to get the right dosage for a given wine (and your palate). Speaking of weigh, where did my powder scale go??



Well now we know what additives go into the wine to make it finger-lickin' good.

stillmanbrown


quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
sfabian37 wrote:Congrats on the Sell Out Stillman!

And to all of the other West Coasters... Check WW at 10PM and you wont have to worry about Sell Outs like this! lol



Thankyouverymush! But some West Coasters get up before dawn and are asleep at 10 PM. Even me, with my absurd lifestyle . . . well, sometimes.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
stillmanbrown wrote:I made a wine called Los Pendejos twice?!?



Of course you did! You should make it a third time. I'd buy that and give it out to people i hate. Well, the empty bottles at least.

by the way, I'll need to buy a lot if I'm handing them out to people I hate.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

OK, I'm bored.

WD, we need a clue for tonight's offer!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
kylemittskus wrote:
WD, we need a clue for tonight's offer!



+1

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:OK, I'm bored.

WD, we need a clue for tonight's offer!



Bored??

This site just kept me busy for an hour or so...Liked the Mt Etna story been enjoying those wines lately.

http://www.scoop.it/t/vitabella-luxury-lifestyle-wine

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Bored??

This site just kept me busy for an hour or so...Liked the Mt Etna story been enjoying those wines lately.

http://www.scoop.it/t/vitabella-luxury-lifestyle-wine



Love it!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:OK, I'm bored.

WD, we need a clue for tonight's offer!


I'm no WD but I'll let you play 20 questions with me. Keep in mind that my wine knowledge is in the "Wine for Dummies" category so ask wisely... or dumbly. Basically, I better be able to get the answer off the sale page. Heh.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm no WD but I'll let you play 20 questions with me. Keep in mind that my wine knowledge is in the "Wine for Dummies" category so ask wisely... or dumbly. Basically, I better be able to get the answer off the sale page. Heh.



Red or white?
North or South of San Fran?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Red or white?
North or South of San Fran?

I'm gonna make you do yes/no questions just to be a brat.

Red
Had to pull up Google maps but South.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Since this wine sold out, there's minimal traffic for the 20 question game.

So, Staffer question: Twice this week we had wines sell out before noon (cst); actually by 10am. On days like these, why doesn't WW have a second wine available for the rest of the day? You have 12+ hours of time to sell another wine. Since we know this is a business and you are in it to make money, why not maximize the time available? The policy could be that a second wine shows up only on days when the sell out is before noon.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:Since this wine sold out, there's minimal traffic for the 20 question game.

So, Staffer question: Twice this week we had wines sell out before noon (cst); actually by 10am. On days like these, why doesn't WW have a second wine available for the rest of the day? You have 12+ hours of time to sell another wine. Since we know this is a business and you are in it to make money, why not maximize the time available? The policy could be that a second wine shows up only on days when the sell out is before noon.

There's no way to predict which wines will sell out and when. You'd basically have to have a couple wineries willing for us to sit on their sale in the hopes that it might be posted. It also takes quite a bit to get the sales set up. I don't think you'd have winery participation in that scenario either.

Now this is all my guessing as I'm just a forum moderator and don't have a direct hand or knowledge of the entire process.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Next question?



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
ThunderThighs wrote:Next question?



Rhone?

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ThunderThighs wrote:Next question?



Fair enough. Cabernet?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Rhone?


Uhm, if that's a grape, no. Told ya, dummy level here.

Edit: Let's put it this way, that word is not on the sale page.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:Fair enough. Cabernet?



HA! I can answer that! No.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ThunderThighs wrote:HA! I can answer that! No.



Syrah?

stratma


quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

So it is red from south of SF. Is it a Zinfandel?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:Syrah?



no



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stratma wrote:So it is red from south of SF. Is it a Zinfandel?



Yes.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders