WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Which is most helpful when buying a wine for the first time?
  • 25.9% - taste and aroma description 173
  • 31.8% - recommendations from Lab Rats and friends 213
  • 1.2% - knowing the winery's history 8
  • 17% - reviews and point scores 114
  • 20.5% - personal preference 137
  • 3.6% - other (specify in the comments) 24
669 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

When they offer in store tastings. When I run into this I always buy a new glass. Then try the wine that they are sampling.

gholt121

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gholt121

Price.

Proud Woot!er since 2005.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

If you're talking about wine you can't taste first, definitely friends with recommendations you respect. Labrats in the context of wine woot accomplish this. Let the Corporate Overlords know! (We know WD is trying to get it working again)

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

Assuming we're talking about wines you cannot taste first: other than point scores - which can be helpful in a very general sort of way - descriptions, numbers (alcohol, pH, TA, Brix at harvest, etc.) and the recommendations of trusted palates all can be important, and their relative importance will vary with their quality.

For woot, I would have to say the recommendations of trusted palates are most important, followed by the numbers, followed by knowledge about the winery and winemaker. The importance of quality labrats is underscored when one does not know the winery or the winemaker.

This underscores why the demise of the labrat program is so important: without a reliable benchmark or touchstone, it's often not worth a flyer with $50-100.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99

I'm one of the 1%, I guess, since I went with the history option.
I can measure my tastes against specific other tasters, if I have a strong idea of their personal preferences. I like Pinot Noir that is light and complex over the "fruit bomb" style that gets higher scores/more fandom. I still like the bombs, but prefer to invest in another style.
But the winery info can tell me a lot - if the winemaker spent three years in Burgundy, and the owner selected a cool microclimate in Oregon, then I am more likely to go for a buy than with a winemaker from Napa and a site in Sonoma.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
catfishhunters99 wrote:I'm one of the 1%, I guess, since I went with the history option.
I can measure my tastes against specific other tasters, if I have a strong idea of their personal preferences. I like Pinot Noir that is light and complex over the "fruit bomb" style that gets higher scores/more fandom. I still like the bombs, but prefer to invest in another style.
But the winery info can tell me a lot - if the winemaker spent three years in Burgundy, and the owner selected a cool microclimate in Oregon, then I am more likely to go for a buy than with a winemaker from Napa and a site in Sonoma.

And you might be wrong: some of the best Pinot in California has been made in a very Burgundian style from various Burgundian clones grown in Carneros (straddling Sonoma and Napa counties).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

chellek81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chellek81

I've been known to buy wine based on the name or what the label looks like. Found some decent ones that way, but have also wound up with some terrible ones.

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99
rpm wrote:And you might be wrong: some of the best Pinot in California has been made in a very Burgundian style from various Burgundian clones grown in Carneros (straddling Sonoma and Napa counties).

Sure, but in my example I used Sonoma, not Sonoma Coast or Carneros AVA. I'd wager the vast majority of wines carrying a straight Sonoma are bigger in style.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Has to be a tasting. Otherwise, its a shot in the dark. Fortunately, I have relatives and friends in the business.

jewlz313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jewlz313

how sweet it is!

julia h. fields

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
jewlz313 wrote:how sweet it is!

...to be loved by Woot!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

theslt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theslt

I usually go by the picture on the box.

scubaguy82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scubaguy82

I live in Carmel Valley and this wine is by no means the best the valley has to offer. Notice California buyers are scarce need I say more..not worth the price of admission.

cdgrimm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cdgrimm

grape variety, growing location and, of course, price

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

My buying level has definitely dropped without the lab rats. I rarely taste much of what's in a wine's description - those are written by people whose palates are way more developed than mine. If I get a good recommendation from an "average Joe" wine aficionado, it goes a long way in making me push that big gold button.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
gholt121 wrote:Price.

[edit: My comment if for those who buy on price and only price... Woot is great for QPR]

Then you shouldn't be purchasing wine here...

If you only want cheap wines: 2 buck chuck, Carlo Rossi, and others can be found conveniently at your local store.

Alternately, If you only want expensive wines I have a good line for you on some Ten Thousand Buck Chuck with good purveyance... PM me for more information.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rapunzelrapunzel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rapunzelrapunzel

Price (plus points for the label!)

smilez412

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smilez412

It's all about the price.

houndlax

quality posts: 2 Private Messages houndlax

Price baby.
And I hate to admit it, but I'm occasioanlly a sucker for packaging too.

struthious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages struthious

It's all about the packaging. Have you heard of Plunger Head Chardonnay?

Face76

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Face76

It's all about the label.

IndigoHills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IndigoHills
theslt wrote:I usually go by the picture on the box.

How can you lose?

smileyUD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smileyUD

The label and the bottle. That way if the wine sucks, you at least have a cool bottle.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

The first thing I go by when I purchase here on woot is rattage or everyone's input. Who has had it?... do I like wines they like?..... also winery participation.... a Big thing for me when deciding....

If I am at a store... usually the Label draws me in... varietal another Biggie,..... origin? I don't buy wines from some countries....and of course price.... no matter how pretty the bottle or how good everyone rates the wine... if it is out of my price range...I can't get it....

willisae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willisae

first, i'd look where the wine is produced and then the year. example, a 2008 russian river valley pinot is going to pretty similar regardless of the vineyard.

jamileigh17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamileigh17

For me, things like percentages, RS , and the like influence me most. A lot of people on here tend to like their whites less sweet than I do, and their reds more tannic. So those numbers help me figure out if I'm likely to actually enjoy the wine, or if it's being added to a sangria pitcher instead.