PRODUCTS:
6 2005 Bien Nacido Block U Chardonnay 375ml
6 2007 Bien Nacido Block U Chardonnay 375ml
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

CT: 2005 Summerland Chardonnay Bien Nacido Block U Vineyard (average 90.5 pts. and median of 90 pts. in 2 notes)

$18.12 per half-bottle from winery website (assuming the 2005 cost the same as the 2007), including shipping. Woot's deal is $7.92 per half-bottle, including shipping.

thatgrrl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages thatgrrl

Aged in...what? Oak? Steel? Maybe it's late and I haven't managed to figure that one out by the description. However, I'm either not too bright or that info isn't included. Happy to be proven wrong! Not kidding!

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe

The 2007 375ml goes for 16.00 on their website, 12.80 for club price.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
thatgrrl wrote:Aged in...what? Oak? Steel? Maybe it's late and I haven't managed to figure that one out by the description. However, I'm either not too bright or that info isn't included. Happy to be proven wrong! Not kidding!

I couldn't figure it out either. Ordered two anyway.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Nice pkg size. Almost bought a red in this size a few months back, but opted out.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

How about some late harvest offerings, semi sweet Rieslings, Moscatos, Sauternes.

Or something unique like a Sake.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:How about some late harvest offerings, semi sweet Rieslings, Moscatos, Sauternes.

Or something unique like a Sake.

Or a Starboard even...

CT

boylan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages boylan

The 2007 won a bronze in the 30-35 category SF chronicle 2010 competition. They pretty consistently have scored that over the years.

jjilk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jjilk

If you're drunk when the package shows up, you will not be allowed to receive it

Wow! I guess I will never be able to get this!

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

Bien Nacido is a well-known vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley and sells its grapes to many wineries. Situated on a bench that overlooks the Sisquoc River, the vineyard is quite large and has numerous slopes and aspects.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Gonna be nice this summer, on the deck, couple of half bottles, one of each year, sipping, comparing, noshing ...

In for one.

boylan

Our efforts are dedicated solely to the expressive growing regions found in the Central Coast of California. This portfolio is comprised of vineyard-designated bottlings derived from sources noted for their exceptional fruit quality. By working closely with the growers, we aspire to produce fruit and ultimately wines that best reflect the terroir of an individual vineyard site. Summerland Winemaker, Etienne Terlinden, takes every care to preserve the integrity of the fruit by employing the finest barrels and minimal intervention throughout the ageing process. Through meticulous blending the wines are crafted into reserve category wines and released in limited quantities.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VINEYARDS:
The Bien Nacido Vineyard is often referred to as the coolest appellation in California and noted for its long growing season. Situated on a bench overlooking the Santa Maria River, this proven and celebrated vineyard benefits greatly from a strong marine influence conducive to growing the finest Chardonnay and Pinot Noir fruit in the state. Block U was harvested at 2.4 tons per acre and produced bright expressive fruit with intense flavors and naturally high acidity.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VINIFICATION:
The Chardonnay fruit was gently pressed to tank for cold settling overnight and then racked to barrel. Fermentation and ageing took place in François Freres cooperage from primarily Allier and Nevers forests, 1/3 new oak. Partial malolactic fermentation to Winemaker’s taste. During barrel ageing the lees were stirred every 15 days for the first six months to enhance mouth-feel. The wine spent a period of 11 months in barrel.
WINE MAKER COMMENTS:
The wine has a bright golden hue that hints of the finesse and balance experienced on the palate. Fresh crushed peach and honeysuckle highlight the bouquet followed by flavors of baked apple and Asian pear that leads to a wash of mineral and clean acidity in the finish. A wonderfully balanced wine, fresh and pleasant.

sfabian37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

2 minutes after the hour. I am thinking its gonna be another 3 day woot-off...

boylan

I'm really intrigued by this wine but I'm wondering if it's a little old given that it's in 375s?

Anyone know their bottle aging?

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

Sounds good

jjilk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jjilk

Some questions:
I went to this winery and enjoyed the wines very much.

Are these half bottles? Is that a normal thing?

Do I have to do anything special to store them?

Sometimes Chardonnays can be very acidic in my mouth. I find it a little off-putting. Are these like that?

Thanks!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This is very tempting, love the half bottle size, but in general a seven year California Chardonnay can be an iffy proposition.

jlemos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlemos

Great selection on this woot-off so far! Maybe Thursday will be food day?

boylan

bsevern wrote:This is very tempting, love the half bottle size, but in general a seven year California Chardonnay can be an iffy proposition.

Yeah, that makes sense. Add to that the smaller format and it seems a stretch.

Drinking window now - March?

boylan

Tech notes for the 2006 include a comment from the winemaker that it has excellent aging potential. That's not included on the 2005 comments. The tech note for the 2007 is apparently not on-line.

I'm dithering.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Is this a case where wine.woot is simply a place to clear out their stock of unsaleable inventory? At least for the 2005...?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

chb70

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chb70

Two things: reminds me of breakfast at the Summerland Beach Cafe (great food), and the many bottles of Qupe and Au Bon Climat I've consumed from the Bien Nacido vineyard. Don't know about these bottles, but I've yet to meet a chardonnay from that vineyard that I didn't like.

mschauber

boylan wrote:Tech notes for the 2006 include a comment from the winemaker that it has excellent aging potential. That's not included on the 2005 comments. The tech note for the 2007 is apparently not on-line.

I'm dithering.

The 2007 is up there, I don't see the 2005. Where did you find it?

Vintage: 2007
Appellation: Santa Maria Valley
Varietal: Chardonnay
Vineyards: 100% Bien Nacido Vineyard, Block U
Alcohol: 14.1%

Winemaker Comments
This wine has the golden hue and finesse of white Burgundy from Meursault, replete with a silky, creamy nose and supple, smooth mouth feel. Fresh, muttled peach and honeysuckle blossoms highlight the bouquet, followed by flavors or baked apple and Asian pear. Lush and dense on the palate, yet with a backbone of firm acidity and a lovely, extra long finish of caramel and crème brulee. One of our most elegant wines, this will pair perfectly with a salad nicoise or broiled lobster with garlic and butter.
--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

boylan

mschauber wrote:

http://www.summerlandwine.com/47.html

It's the trade section.
What you were looking at is just glossy tourist info.

mschauber

boylan wrote:http://www.summerlandwine.com/47.html

It's the trade section.
What you were looking at is just glossy tourist info.

Ah, that's where they hide all the geeky info. Cool. Thank you..

--
My CT

boylan

mschauber wrote:Ah, that's where they hide all the geeky info. Cool. Thank you..

Yeah exactly. Having a trade page is pretty common too.

I think I'll give this a whirl. If I have to cook with the '05 I'll be sad but the '07 is no worse than list price then.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Move on already. A sweeter white preferably please. Or a balsamic when I am around

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

sonomawilliam

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sonomawilliam

Sweeter whites? Is that to go with your velveeta. Move on.

sonomawilliam

Bien Nacido is a renowned vineyard. Chardonnay
can actually age wonderfully if the acid profile is in line.
375 ml (half bottles) Do age faster but I love the format.
Gonna gamble on this - low risk.

sonomawilliam

Son of a....
It went away as was going to purchase

bigbear83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbear83

I knew I should have checked here before getting in the shower this morning.

Finally a Chardonay that I would have enjoyed (and more than a couple of them at that!).